BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Babadook, New horror
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
post Oct 6 2014, 10:45 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Getting ready for Halloween, this has had excellent reviews. It's currently 96% on Rotten Tomatoes and has had 5 stars in a few places.

Six years after the violent death of her husband, Amelia (Essie Davis) is at a loss. She struggles to discipline her 'out of control' 6 year-old, Samuel (Noah Wiseman), a son she finds impossible to love. Samuel's dreams are plagued by a monster he believes is coming to kill them both. When a disturbing storybook called 'The Babadook' turns up at their house, Samuel is convinced that the Babadook is the creature he's been dreaming about. His hallucinations spiral out of control, he becomes more unpredictable and violent. Amelia, genuinely frightened by her son's behaviour, is forced to medicate him. But when Amelia begins to see glimpses of a sinister presence all around her, it slowly dawns on her that the thing Samuel has been warning her about may be real.

Apparently it's not just a throwaway horror, (cough - Annabelle*). It's meant to be rich and poignant as well as actually scary. I've seen it compared to Pan's Labyrinth, Drag me To Hell and The Orphanage, so I'm excited for this one!

Still looking forward to Annabelle though
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Kath
post Dec 26 2014, 09:25 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
Watched this the other night and thought it was very good. Its the kind of film I love - loads of possible explanations. The jumpy bits were very jumpy! I even found the pop-up book scary in itself.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post May 3 2015, 07:30 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
I watched this the other day and it was genuinely terrifying, really well done. Wasn't what I was expecting at all either.

+Quote this post
April
post May 3 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #4
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905
The ending of this film is one of the most random things ever. Other than that, it's a great film.

+Quote this post
Severin
post May 3 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
The ending isn't random at all. Focus on the symbolism.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Jul 19 2015, 11:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"The Babadook" was released in my country’s theaters three months ago and it was definitely one of the movies that the domestic fans of horror films were eagerly waiting to see. "The Babadook" is an Australian production which is based on the award-winning short film "The Monster" (2005). It was originally aired in the prestigious Sundance Film Festival and received very positive reviews. The film also received three awards from the Australian Film and Television Academy, including "Best Film", "Best Director" and "Best Original Screenplay" and it was nominated in three categories in the latest Saturn Awards which are suggested for only science fiction, fantasy and horror.
The central character of the story is Amelia, growing up alone with her six year old son Samuel, after her husband died in a car accident the day their child was born. Seven years later, in isolation from her social surroundings and disappointed with her life, her only human companionship is the untamed and restless Samuel. One day she will read a scary book called "The Babadook" to her son, which she found it by chance in her house. They will experience both very unpleasant consequences in the coming days. Jennifer Kent not only wrote the script of the film but she undertook the directing too. Essentially, it is her directorial debut on the big screen, as she had solely short films in her filmography and "The Monster" as I mentioned above was invented by her. However, she did it famously once she had a fairly limited budget at her disposal. Usually, large, small or independent movie studios avoid spending huge funds on horror movies and so most of these kinds of films do not exceed $10,000,000. Besides, after having decent earnings and taking advantage of this practice, why change it? "The Babadook" is no exception after making double the amount of money that was in its budget! Jennifer Kent created a very scary atmosphere and adding exceptional audio effects, she made a film that will be discussed for a long time. Moreover, "The Babadook" had tight editing, staggered suspense and the scenario was quite intriguing. The performances were good enough and the two central actors convinced the audience in the way that they portrayed their characters. It’s not random that there have been many times when we watched very good scary movies, but they had miserable interpretations. However, Samuel shrieked a lot of times during the movie even before the Babadook made its appearance and I guess that it would be quite annoying and unbearable to the viewers.
"The Babadook" is one of the best psychological thrillers I've seen in recent years! It had a remarkable production with talented actors who have worked flawlessly and had a very good result. However, I cannot omit the fact that the last scene was a bit of a disappointment. It could have had a better ending. Despite this, the film is very good as a whole and it is quite different from the other movies of its kind which come out in great numbers in cinemas. If I saw it in my childhood, surely I could not sleep the following night.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: Jul 22 2015, 10:14 AM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:18 AM