BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Confessions On A Dancefloor' • album discussion, 10th album | 2005
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Jun 29 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's 10th studio album 'Confessions On A Dancefloor'. Released in 2005.

1. Hung Up
2. Get Together
3. Sorry
4. Future Lovers
5. I Love New York
6. Let It Will Be
7. Forbidden Love
8. Jump
9. How High
10. Isaac
11. Push
12. Like It or Not

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 29 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post Jun 29 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
Everything about this era was just perfection. Just look at the album cover alone, such a striking shot and I still cannot stop looking at it after all those years. Hung Up was obviously a massive moment for her and definitely the right single choice, even though the rest of the album was so so good as well. Forbidden Love has to be my favourite album track.

I still can't at her getting the wrong Dutch sentence in the intro of Sorry, you would have thought her team would know what to say.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 29 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Said it countless times, but this is my favourite album of all-time, bar none. It is a true album and a vision perfectly realised from start to end. I love how it explores love, life, the past and the future and everything in between. Alongside the fact that the music is perfection, the singles were chosen perfectly, it contains her best ever album track ('Forbidden Love' of course!) and the aesthetics are also great with one of the most iconic album covers she has.

My only slight negative? The music videos (particularly the final two) are not her best.

I absolutely hate the fact that the continuous mix isn't available on Spotify - that version butchers the intention of it, to be a complete experience from start to end.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post Jun 29 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047
This is for sure my fave Madonna album, love love Forbidden Love and How High is also brilliant! Sorry and Jump I’ve always slightly preferred to Hung Up if i’m honest but HU is obvs still absolutely fab!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post Jun 29 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116
It’s her second best album for me but it’s a very universal album I think! If I’m ever going out partying (like this weekend) and I want something to
get me in the mood this is the album to do that. It’s one of the most Instant Madonna albums there is. It’s produced very well too! It’s an album what almost always puts me in a good mood and makes me just wanna dance and forget everything and the world for its duration.

The continuous mix is the best though. How every track just builds and flows so well into the next one.

Hung Up is the best visual from this era but I agree on the Forbidden Love being her best album track statement. That’s very true. Isaac is the second best album track on this and is a very interesting one too cool.gif

This is such a fantastic album though. 20 + years Into her career and she still changed the game and reinvented herself successfully. I can definitely see why this is your favourite Haus you have great taste! wub.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jun 29 2020, 06:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Every Song is a 10 apart from Push and ILNY.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post Jun 29 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #8
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
Wonderful album, my favourite thing about it is there's no dips or troughs, track 1 comes on and it never stops. Sorry, Hung Up, Get Together in that order are my three faves but Future Lovers isn't far off, the production builds and pulsates in a magical way.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 29 2020, 07:21 PM
Post #9
Group icon
'Isaac' definitely gets a shout out as the second best album track. Ugh, the entire album is just pure perfection in every single way. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 29 2020, 08:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
'Hung Up' was never a favourite of mine, although I think I've come to appreciate it a LOT more now than I ever did back then. I think 15/16 year old me was just not getting or understanding the hype. 'Sorry' was always better to me laugh.gif I enjoyed 'Jump' too. 'Get Together' I never got the fuss either and that was/is my least favourite single from the era.

I'm listening to this AWAY from Spotify coz Bal frantically told me not too! So he kindly provided me the MP3's for this. I'm now listening to this with my headphones on full blast (literally no lower laugh.gif - Bal went to the trouble to warn me about the Spotify version (which I assumed was because of the mixing of the album tongue.gif) so the least I could do was give this the best possible experience!

As I said, each passing year I've been gradually becoming more and more of a fan of HU. I'm still not quite there as everyone else seems to be, but I enjoyed it more this time than I have before. In fact same for 'Get Together'! I'm surprised it's actually ending up as a track I really like, however, I don't think I've really heard this much since release/actively avoided it but maybe Britney sampling it on 'Trouble' has helped idk :') That explosion for the final minute or so... wow!

'Sorry' still S L A P S ! It's so, SO good! One of my absolute favourites from her. Again, I think this is the best I've ever heard it, so maybe this experience is THE ONE!

So 'Future Lovers' ended up as a different album on my phone, so it didn't play right after 'Sorry'! It wasn't until I came to give my thoughts on 'I Love New York', that I realised a track had been skipped drama.gif (I wondered why that mixing was a bit sudden compared to everything else so far lmao) but NO FEAR. I am starting from 'Sorry' again and I am working my way into 'Future Lovers' properly. sleep.gif OOFT I'm so glad I did *_* That transition killed me off more than Chromatica II > 911!

Interesting. I'm liking 'Jump' a lot still, but not preferring it to HU or GT? That's suprising to me. Maybe it just works better as a stand alone single to me or something. Still a banger though. 'Isaac' was interesting... it moved up my rankings the longer it played and that final 40 seconds... WHAAAT. SO GOOD.

1. Sorry
2. Forbidden Love
3. Isaac
4. Hung Up
5. Get Together
6. Jump
7. Push
8. Future Lovers
9. I Love New York
10. How High
11. Let It Will Be
12. Like It or Not

This whole album is an EXPERIENCE. It's easy to cast off an album that you've never heard and think "I bet this is overrated"... but at the same time, there is a REASON why an album like this is raved about so much. What an album. WOW. Ngl, me wanting to listen to this album is what kick-started me wanting to listen to all her albums. I'm so happy I went through them all before delving straight into this tbh. I feel like it kinda prepped me better than the mindset I had previously of liking 'Sorry' & 'Jump' but not really caring (not hating) about 'Hung Up' or 'Get Together' did. It's REALLY hard to rank these tracks individually, coz now that I've heard the album, I think it's hard to pin-point tracks and separate them. But as I said before that's NOT a bad thing as I LOVE these kind of albums, it makes listening to the full album worthwhile!

Not a single dud. Wow.

Album Rankings:
01. Confessions On A Dancefloor
02. Ray Of Light
03. True Blue
04. Erotica
05. Like A Prayer
06. American Life
07. Music
08. Madonna
09. Like A Virgin
10. Bedtime Stories

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 29 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I've...

Just pressed play again :')

cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jun 29 2020, 08:28 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
You need to learn to love Like It Or Not !! How is that last ?

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 29 2020, 08:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
JONJO! Reading that makes me so, so happy! Everything you have said is exactly like my first experience of it, where the transitions just stop you in your tracks and make you go "wow". I am also glad that 'Get Together' has grown on you because it was never a huge fave of mine but over time it has really cemented itself as one and now I think it could be challenging for my #1 song on this album!

Interesting how you mention Chromatica too! That album and Future Nostalgia are definitely inspired by this (the latter has explicitly mentioned Madonna as an inspiration, the former.. hasn't but the influence is there I'm sure tongue.gif). But the way this album was so retro and harked back to past decades, made it current and then was mixed to create a full listening experience is hugely influential on the two albums mentioned!

Your ranking of the songs is great too - Forbidden Love and Isaac getting the love they deserve. heart.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 29 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #14
Group icon
QUOTE(vibe @ Jun 29 2020, 09:28 PM) *
You need to learn to love Like It Or Not !! How is that last ?
BIIIIIIITCH get off my BACK

My first listen etc... who know's where they'll be tomorrow on my 8th listen x

QUOTE(HausofGhibli @ Jun 29 2020, 09:30 PM) *
JONJO! Reading that makes me so, so happy! Everything you have said is exactly like my first experience of it, where the transitions just stop you in your tracks and make you go "wow". I am also glad that 'Get Together' has grown on you because it was never a huge fave of mine but over time it has really cemented itself as one and now I think it could be challenging for my #1 song on this album!

Interesting how you mention Chromatica too! That album and Future Nostalgia are definitely inspired by this (the latter has explicitly mentioned Madonna as an inspiration, the former.. hasn't but the influence is there I'm sure tongue.gif). But the way this album was so retro and harked back to past decades, made it current and then was mixed to create a full listening experience is hugely influential on the two albums mentioned!

Your ranking of the songs is great too - Forbidden Love and Isaac getting the love they deserve. heart.gif
I read on a Chromatica YT reaction somewhere someone requested that the user reacted to this album because this, FN & Chromatica form the "Pink Trilogy". I think they're perfectly suited together!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jun 29 2020, 08:53 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I actually think Sorry has aged the worst out of all the songs and I was obsessed with it when it was first released (not to say it is bad it just hasn't aged as well as the rest of the album for me). Hung Up just sounds like a classic instantly (probably because of the Abba beat tbf) it's up there with one of Madonna's best. The album overall is brilliant I love it some cracking album tracks How High is a highlight for me!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jul 23 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
The unanimous love in this thread! heart.gif It's my favourite Madonna album too. First and foremost, the album is a full-on party experience and is proud of it, but what pushes it to even greater heights is the careful consideration that's been put into every component. The hooks, the melodies, the pulsating beats - everything is top-notch quality and is designed to get you sweating along and lose yourself in the music. The DJ set structure of the album is a simple but genius idea that really helps the mood to flow and offers some really interesting transitions.

'Hung Up' - 'Get Together' - 'Sorry' is a killer opening trio and really gets the party started. 'Future Lovers' introduces the heart of the album, the spoken vocal marking a shift in tone as Madonna begins to share the wonders of the dancefloor and all that she's learnt during her time reigning over it; she starts with her career beginnings with 'I Love New York' and delves deeper as the album progresses. I think it's clever how the album offers a career retrospective that runs parallel with the emotional phases of a night out and how the album can be appreciated on both a superficial and deeper level, even at the same time.

The promotional trail for the first few months was immense, I'd give anything for Madonna to do just half as much today. The 'Hung Up' performance choreography is my all time fave! I love the music videos for 'Hung Up' and 'Sorry' but I agree with Bal that it's a shame that the final two were low-budget affairs. I do like the concept of 'Get Together' but I think it could have been done much better, although preferably both 'Get Together' and 'Jump' would have continued the storyline of 'Hung Up' and 'Sorry'.

The outtakes from Confessions are inferior to what made the final cut, but they're still quite catchy. I have a soft spot for 'SuperPop':

An early version of 'Sorry' has recently leaked which has different melodies and lyrics in the verses:

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jul 23 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #17
Group icon
tl;searched for Isaac;didn't see a mention;dr

Jk. I'll read it properly later but Isaac is my fave on the album I think! What a song.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jul 23 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
laugh.gif Didn't want to go into what my specific highlights were otherwise I'd be talking about every song! 'Isaac' is definitely one of the best, probably my favourite album track! The drop at 4:45 and the build up towards it is everything. heart.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 23 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Jonjo being very RUDE nono.gif But it's allowed cus he's now a FAN of this masterpiece album dance.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 27 2020, 04:20 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Is it 'Dance Floor' or 'Dancefloor'? Gaga.png

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:51 AM