BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Catherine Tate Show: TV FLASHBACK
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 10th March 2015, 11:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

'The Catherine Tate Show' was a sketch show that ran for 3 series, 18 episodes in total, between 16th February 2004-25th November 2006 on BBC Two. Four additional specials were shown, including two that followed after the original run. It is one of the most successful TV series since 2000, regularly becoming BBC Two's top rated show of the week. It has been nominated for six BAFTA Awards, two British Comedy Awards and an Emmy Award as well as winning two Royal Television Society Awards, two British Comedy Awards and a National Television Award since its debut in 2004.

Sketches included:
  • Nan - a grandmother who regularly swears and moans at other people once they can no longer here her. Generated catchphrases such as 'What a f***ing liberty'
  • Lauren Cooper - an argumentative school girl which generated the catchphrase of 'Am I Bovvered?'
  • Derek Faye - a man who is offended when people assume that he is gay despite displaying numerous signs
  • Paul and Sam - a couple who get excited over the most trivial things
  • Kate and Ellen - two office workers, one wishes to get on with the work but the other frequently disturbs them
  • Bernie - a nurse who doesn't shy away from anything at all
There are also many other highlights/sketches that were to be enjoyed over the course of the show's run! The show created a massive cultural impact with the phrase 'Am I Bovvered' in particular becoming widely recognised and used. It even made it into the Oxford English Dictionary! The character was also used for a special Comic Relief sketch that involved Tony Blair, the then Prime Minister. Nan also generated two specials dedicated to the character after the show had finished, one portraying her in a 'Christmas Carol' type tale and another one-off episode which unfortunately never made it to a full series.

Highlights:

Of course there are many, many more and I would happily post the full series but there are three favourites of mine!

What are your memories of the show? Remember for TV shows that pre-date 2000, visit the Retro Lounge!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th March 2015, 12:11 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

YES! SO SO glad you included the translator in the highlights! My favourite sketch of hers wub.gif

But her shows in general were really good. I wish she'd do more, although Lauren was getting just as predictable as 'Little Britain'.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 11th March 2015, 12:12 AM
Post #3
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

The offensive translator will forever remain one of the most iconic television moments ever. heart.gif Still so hilarious to this day! laugh.gif

One of my personal favourites though is this, refuses to get old:

Brilliant thread by the way! biggrin.gif I have been going back and watching old clips from the show just recently so it's great to have somewhere to have a look back at them!

+Quote this post
April
post 11th March 2015, 12:13 AM
Post #4
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

Nan is my absolute fave! heart.gif I've got the whole of the Catherine Tate Show on DVD. Such an amazing series!

Nan's Christmas sketch featuring Kathy Burke and Nitin Ganatra was all shades of *.*

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 11th March 2015, 12:16 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

The middle class mother has to be my fave rotf.gif But also nan and the offensive translator, plus the woman in the office who makes her co-worker guess things.

I have the whole series on DVD too, my favourite sketch show ever wub.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 11th March 2015, 07:52 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

Nan was my fave by far.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 11th March 2015, 12:24 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

ADORE the Gooseberry & Cinnamon yougurt one laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Noahspike
post 11th March 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
There's a frisbee in my brunch
User: 19,860

Amazing thread/blast from the past! I absolutely adored this show. I remember one Christmas I got a series for my PSP and used to watch it on the sly in bed and on car journeys all the time. wub.gif

Weird timing actually because I only randomly remembered and revisited that offensive translator sketch a couple of days ago when talking to Riser about an SNL skit, having forgotton about it for years ohmy.gif. Definitely among my all-time favourites, especially because of her brief look of contentment each time before she moves on to the next one!

I always loved the one with the office workers whose guessing games never went to plan because it reminded me of my younger brother and I when we were kids happy.gif. Something about her character was very true to certain people in life.

'Fergus, Imogen, Chloe and I are having a gooseberry and cinnamon yoghurt' woman was also amazing. I loved the one where she took a wrong turn and found herself in Tottenham! 'You are never gonna BELIEEEEVE what happened to MAAAAAY' woman was another highlight. Lauren was also a fave obviously but I could take or leave Nan (oops). She had her moments but her shtick got a bit stale for me after a while. sleep.gif

Of the ones not mentioned yet/potentially underrated ones, I found the 'Think about it, Whittaker' smug detective particularly hilarious along with the clueless shopping centre information point...worker laugh.gif. Oh, and the woman who unintentionally insults everyone she meets at parties and then awkwardly backtracks heart.gif. Gah I loved this show and always thought Catherine had awesome comic timing. Really want to watch an episode again now. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Noahspike: 11th March 2015, 02:18 PM

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 11th March 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Omg the awkward party lady wub.gif

+Quote this post
JVSH
post 11th March 2015, 02:02 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 12,568

The dispatches-esque style of the Elaine Wainwright sketch still kills me every time.

"He will never be able to visit you in your bakery because he's in Texas on death row." "If you want to call it death row." "What would you call it?" "...No, yes. It's death row." *.*
"He also ate two of them." "...Have you ever done something you regret?" *.*

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 11th March 2015, 02:05 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Oh god that one as well!

This is one of those shows where I try to pick a highlight and then it dawns on me that pretty much all of it could be considered to be a highlight. I don't think there's really any characters I was never keen on, maybe one or two of the smaller characters who only had a couple of sketches?

+Quote this post
April
post 11th March 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #12
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905

I forgot about Paul and Sam as well. They had some amazing sketches. rotf.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 11th March 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

omg the Paul and Sam sketches wub.gif The one where she's just sitting there telling a story and the roof collapses on her and she's just like "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT JUST HAPPENED" laugh.gif!

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 16th March 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 20,182

What was the name of the lady that always came in singing and tried to petition everything to her office co-worker Martin? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post 16th March 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548

omg That would be the iconic Jorgie wub.gif

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 16th March 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Bonquiqui @ Mar 16 2015, 11:43 AM) *
omg That would be the iconic Jorgie wub.gif

That's the one! Her and the Mum with the gay son were the best!

+Quote this post
Regina
post 16th March 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

"HAve you heard about our John? He's a gay man now" wub.gif

+Quote this post
bipolar angel
post 17th March 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,494

always looked forward to nan. very funny.

lauren was good to start off with, but got boring

defenetly like the office workers. they made me laugh- even though it always followed the same sort of thing

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 20th March 2015, 12:55 PM
Post #19
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I've watched the first two episodes again earlier this week and I still laughed more than I have done in comedy show for years! It really is genuinely hilarious laugh.gif

The fact that soo many sketches have been named in this thread shows how funny the WHOLE show is, rather than two or three memorable sketches.

I forgot about Paul & Sam, the one that April just posted especially is my favourite!

I think another one of my favourites that hasn't been mentioned is the 'Gingers for Justice' sketches. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
SGrey
post 30th March 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Rabbit Froot @ Mar 20 2015, 01:55 PM) *
I've watched the first two episodes again earlier this week and I still laughed more than I have done in comedy show for years! It really is genuinely hilarious laugh.gif

The fact that soo many sketches have been named in this thread shows how funny the WHOLE show is, rather than two or three memorable sketches.

I forgot about Paul & Sam, the one that April just posted especially is my favourite!

I think another one of my favourites that hasn't been mentioned is the 'Gingers for Justice' sketches. laugh.gif

I loved those scenes, especially when they were protesting and one of them said they were getting sun burnt rotf.gif

This thread has prompted me to rewatch a few odd episodes here and there! The "I can do that" woman was funny too! wub.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 11:40 PM