BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Biggest trendsetting chart hits
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
sammy01
post Mar 20 2017, 12:10 AM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
Spice Girls - Wannabe - the mid to late 90's wave of fun (cheesy) pop started here. Steps, S Club 7 etc all took note from it and ran with it.

Kylie Minogue - Cant get you out of my head - I cant stand this song these days but it was very influential, it seemed futuristic almost.

Eminem ft Dido - Stan - It may have happened before but this is the first time I can remember a huge hit where a very different artist (and female) comes in to sing the hook or chorus. Rihanna later basically perfected this.

Duffy - Mercy - She started that 60's sound being truly big.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 20 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #42
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Mar 16 2017, 11:13 PM) *
What's also interesting is songs that stood out hugely at the time as being very different, yet that didn't really spark any trends (makes you wonder why not, seeing as people like to copy established hits.)

This one was sung on the Voice at the weekend, thats why I remember it as one but Good Luck by Basement Jaxx in 2004 really started the Sigma type drum and bass and orchestral/nu disco mix sound 10 years before Everybody's Changing.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Mar 20 2017, 12:26 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
One from the 90s - Coolio's 'Gangsta's Paradise' was the first genuinely huge crossover rap hit in the UK. Obviously you'd had Vanilla Ice/MC Hammer/Snow etc before, but I think rap in this country before 1995 was either seen as a novelty genre for kids, or home to explicit politically-themed records (NWA, Public Enemy etc) critically acclaimed but selling little as radio wouldn't go near them.

Gangsta's Paradise sold a million, got massive radio airplay (helped by having nothing to edit out!) and everyone from kids to adults loved it. Definitely proved that credible rap could finally become a major chart force in the UK.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Mar 20 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Mar 20 2017, 12:10 AM) *

Yeah, Duffy looking back basically arrived at the perfect time, when everyone wanted a new Amy Winehouse album but she wasn't in any state to make one. There were a fair few "new Amys" being hyped up in the late noughties making that 60s soul sound, one of which being someone called Adele...

+Quote this post
Riser
post Mar 20 2017, 04:22 AM
Post #45
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
I've always considered 'I Gotta Feeling' to be the biggest trendsetter for urban artists turning to dance-pop for a few years. There were probably a couple that emerged a bit earlier but the Black Eyed Peas' massive comeback really made it a trend.

Would definitely agree with Ryan about 'We Found Love' caused a whole lot of soundalikes, thinking of Tulisa especially. laugh.gif I'd also say 'Love The Way You Lie' and 'Airplanes' started a trend to some extent in 2010, thinking of Devlin, Chipmunk, Professor Green...

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 20 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #46
Group icon
QUOTE(Riser @ Mar 20 2017, 04:22 AM) *
I've always considered 'I Gotta Feeling' to be the biggest trendsetter for urban artists turning to dance-pop for a few years. There were probably a couple that emerged a bit earlier but the Black Eyed Peas' massive comeback really made it a trend.

Would definitely agree with Ryan about 'We Found Love' caused a whole lot of soundalikes, thinking of Tulisa especially. laugh.gif I'd also say 'Love The Way You Lie' and 'Airplanes' started a trend to some extent in 2010, thinking of Devlin, Chipmunk, Professor Green...

It will be interesting whether the success of Bad Things leads to a revival of that early 10s 'male rapper in the verses with a female singer singing the chorus' type trend that started with 'Airplanes' and 'Love The Way You Lie'

This post has been edited by Вuzzjack: Mar 20 2017, 07:03 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Mar 20 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Mar 20 2017, 12:10 AM) *
Spice Girls - Wannabe - the mid to late 90's wave of fun (cheesy) pop started here. Steps, S Club 7 etc all took note from it and ran with it.

Kylie Minogue - Cant get you out of my head - I cant stand this song these days but it was very influential, it seemed futuristic almost.

Eminem ft Dido - Stan - It may have happened before but this is the first time I can remember a huge hit where a very different artist (and female) comes in to sing the hook or chorus. Rihanna later basically perfected this.

Agree with the concept that Spice Girls brought pure pop back to the mainstream, even though there's was arguably less cheesy than the likes of Steps.

I'd argue that Gina G's Ooh Ahh Just A Little Bit, which came a few months before Wannabe, also played a part in record labels waking up to the fact that there was a big market for bubblegum pop. Sure you could just put it down to a Eurovision-shaped anomaly but it far transcended its status as just a Eurovision entry, it was the biggest selling cheesy pop hit in years.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 20 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #48
Group icon
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Mar 20 2017, 07:36 PM) *
Agree with the concept that Spice Girls brought pure pop back to the mainstream, even though there's was arguably less cheesy than the likes of Steps.

I'd argue that Gina G's Ooh Ahh Just A Little Bit, which came a few months before Wannabe, also played a part in record labels waking up to the fact that there was a big market for bubblegum pop. Sure you could just put it down to a Eurovision-shaped anomaly but it far transcended its status as just a Eurovision entry, it was the biggest selling cheesy pop hit in years.

Gina G was more Eurodance than pop, which evolved into The Vengaboys and then Alice Deejay and then into the early 00s Clubland eurotrance Flip and Fill type sound.

Speaking of Flip and Fill 'Shooting Star' in 2002 really started the cheesier sort of eurotrance sound emerging, and opened the floodgates for a lot of other Clubland eurotrance songs (the highest charting one of these being XTM et al's Fly on the Wings Of Love) to make the charts up to early 2005.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post Mar 20 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265
QUOTE(Вuzzjack @ Mar 20 2017, 06:58 PM) *
It will be interesting whether the success of Bad Things leads to a revival of that early 10s 'male rapper in the verses with a female singer singing the chorus' type trend that started with 'Airplanes' and 'Love The Way You Lie'

Nah, Bad Things hasn't been nearly as big as Airplanes or Love The Way You Lie were. Those two dominated when they were released.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Mar 21 2017, 02:12 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
A few from before the majority of us were born:

Bill Haley & The Comets - Rock Around The Clock (1955)

Catapulted rock & roll music into the British mainstream, making many sit up and take note. First ever charting song with 'Rock' in the title - but definitely not the last!

The Beatles - She Loves You (1963)

From Me To You might have been a significant earlier #1 for them, but this is the moment they turned from a popular fad into era-defining megastars. Biggest selling song in the UK until 1977!!

Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (1966)

Seen as a masterpiece then and still today, its groundbreaking production led to increasing amounts of experimentation in pop and rock music, the power of editing and multi-track truly beginning to be recognised.

T-Rex - Hot Love (1971)

A major "What is THAT?" moment on its first Top of the Pops performance, T-Rex's second hit single is seen as the true birth of glam rock, a genre which would define the early 70s.

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody (1973)

The first "modern" Christmas song. Wizzard released theirs at the same time, but Slade's radical update of festive music set the ball rolling for the next few decades worth of Christmas classics.

George McCrae - Rock Your Baby (1974)

First disco song to reach #1 in the UK, leading eventually to its later decade chart dominance.

Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen (1977)

The peak of the furore surrounding punk rock and a major chart moment when it - just - missed #1. Commercial radio and record labels take notice.

Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric? (1979)

As previously mentioned in this thread!

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes (1980)

First heard this twenty years later, and it still sounded amazing and alien. The 1980s arrive with a bang with a groundbreaking video to boot.

Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? (1984)

First truly massive charity/allstar record. Biggest selling single of all time until 1997. Many have followed since!

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Mar 21 2017, 02:50 PM
Post #51
Group icon
1982 - Yazoo - Don't Go. The real start of the high NRG synthpop which would become bigger by the late 80s.

This post has been edited by Вuzzjack: Mar 21 2017, 02:59 PM

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:58 AM