BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Girls Aloud - Cancelled Singles
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 13th December 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

After scouring the internet for info I've found that Girls Aloud has had quite a lot of cancelled singles throughout their careers & here's a list of what I've found.

Some Kind of Miracle (Sound of the Underground)

“Some Kind of Miracle” was going to be the 3rd single from the girls debut album “Sound of the Underground”, but was first replaced by fan favourite ballad “Life Got Cold” & was supposed to become the 4th single, but again it got replaced again when Girls Aloud recorded a cover of ‘Jump’ for the ‘Love Actually” soundtrack. The re-recorded version of the track appeared on the re-release of the girls debut album.

You Freak Me Out (Sound of the Underground)

Around the same time the girls also recorded this for the ‘Freaky Friday’ soundtrack & was due for release in early 2004, but was cancelled in favour of the band moving on & recording their 2nd album.

Androgynous Girls (Love Machine B-Side)

This along with 3 other songs were presented as possible lead singles for the girls 2nd album “What Will The Neighbours Say”, but was deemed too hard sounding & didn’t make the album, but did end as a b-side to later single ‘Love Machine’.

Deadlines & Diets (What Will The Neighbours Say)

This was the group’s choice for the 2nd single of “What Will The Neighbours Say”, but the label picked ‘Love Machine’ instead, despite the girls not liking the track & feared it would be career suicide.

Graffiti My Soul (What Will The Neighbours Say)

The track was originally written for Britney Spears, but Jive records felt the song needed more of a chorus. Then it got passed to Girls Aloud where it was at first one of the 4 tracks considered for the lead single, but was passed over. Then again it was originally intended to the the 5th single from their 2nd album to coincide with their tour of the same name, but it was scrapped in favour of the girls focusing on their next album.

Wicked Game

* The girls version hasn't leaked, so included a video the original song.

The group recorded a cover of Chris Isaak’s ballad ‘Wicked Game’ & announced it as the lead single from ‘Chemistry’, but was scrapped due to the recording of ‘Long Hot Summer’ & harsh fan reaction leaving it to be scrapped from the album entirely. However it did get a slight reference in 'Biology'.

Models (Chemistry)

This was due for a May 2006 release to coincide with the Chemistry tour, but the idea was scrapped for unknown reasons.

Control of the Knife (Tangled Up)

This along with 2 other tracks was in consideration to be the 3rd single from ‘Tangled Up’, but was scrapped in favour of ‘Can’t Speak French’ & then was considered to be the 4th single, but the era came to an end after the 3rd single.

Close To Love/Girl Overboard (Tangled Up)

These were the other 2 tracks that were in discussion to be the album’s 3rd single, however like the previous track, both of these were scrapped in favour of ‘Can’t Speak French’ which got released in March 2008. During this time the girls were already working on their next album.

Love Is The Key (Out of Control)

Briefly considered as a possible 4th single from ‘Out of Control’, but this was only a rumour & the girls went on hiatus after the tour ended.

On The Metro (Ten)

Despite being critically acclaimed & many fans believing this would have been a more fitting 2nd single than 'Beautiful Cause You Loved Me', it not got released, despite many fans campaigning for it.

If you know any more, please feel free to share.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 13th December 2021, 03:23 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Gosh, can you imagine how much of a career suicide 'Deadlines & Diets' would have been?! I never knew of that one before, but praise the Lord it didn't go ahead!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 13th December 2021, 03:35 PM
Post #3
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

Girls Aloud could increase the number of # 1 hits in my chart, if Some Kind of Miracle and maybe Models would be the singles.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 13th December 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Dec 13 2021, 04:23 PM) *
Gosh, can you imagine how much of a career suicide 'Deadlines & Diets' would have been?! I never knew of that one before, but praise the Lord it didn't go ahead!

I know, I was shocked when I read it in Sarah's book earlier this year. It would have been such a bad choice, could you imagine laugh.gif Same for their cover version of Wicked Game, yikes. I also remember their being other songs considered instead of Walk This Way, but can't really remember which ones.

As much as I think Models is "a single that could have been", it makes sense they didn't go for a fifth single from Chemistry. Could have missed the top 10 at that point.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 13th December 2021, 04:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Dec 13 2021, 04:35 PM) *
Girls Aloud could increase the number of # 1 hits in my chart, if Some Kind of Miracle and maybe Models would be the singles.

I'm sure they regret their single choices now!

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 13th December 2021, 05:38 PM
Post #6
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

QUOTE(Chemistry @ Dec 13 2021, 07:24 PM) *
I'm sure they regret their single choices now!

They already had six number ones in GD, so maybe it's not important. smile.gif

No Good Advice (2003)
The Show (2004)
See The Day (2005)
Theme To St.Trinians (2008)
Can't Speak French (2008)
The Promise (2008)

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th December 2021, 05:31 AM
Post #7
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I love Beautiful Cause You Love Me but I think On The Metro would’ve been the better choice.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th December 2021, 09:14 AM
Post #8
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I'm not sure if this is true, but I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that there was an original plan for Sound of the Underground to be a Double A Side with Stay Another Day (considering that One True Voice went with a Double A Side themselves), but in the end it was relegated to B Side status because they felt that Sound of the Underground was strong enough to stand on its own.

It was rumoured that they were going to release an unused Hear'Say song as their second single, called If You Wanna Roll With Me!

Another rumour - they were considering Rolling Back the Rivers in Time as a single. That was prior to Untouchable being confirmed.

Originally The Sound of Girls Aloud was going to include a studio version of Flashdance...What a Feeling, but just days before the album was finalised for pressing, they wanted to scrap it and record I Think We're Alone Now instead. The booklet in the singles box set states that it was a planned single!

I don't believe that Wicked Game was scrapped due to Long Hot Summer. It appeared on release schedules in March, scheduled for a release date of 30th May 2005 - but eventually got pulled. Polydor stated at the time that the reason for pulling it was "due to lack of time in the girls' busy schedule". Cheryl told Popjustice in April 2005 that she thought their version was "amazing", but I don't know if any of the others have ever given an opinion on it, other than Sarah recalling its existence in her autobiography: "For some reason it was pulled at the last minute. It's never been heard anywhere and none of us even have a copy of the recording. The video was even planned and signed off; it was meant to be a Bruce Weber-style black and white affair. Of course, that never happened either". Brian has mentioned over the years that he really didn't like the song though. Interestingly "Wicked Game" is written down in the Ringtones order page section of their 2005 tour programme, it seems that it went to print before they cancelled the song, or maybe it was just an oversight. Brian also said that Long Hot Summer was quite a rushed recording process, which makes me think that it wasn't worked on until a while after they'd cancelled Wicked Game.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th December 2021, 10:07 AM
Post #9
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I had no idea they covered Stay Another Day. I’ll have to listen to it now.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 14th December 2021, 10:43 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Dec 14 2021, 10:14 AM) *
Originally The Sound of Girls Aloud was going to include a studio version of Flashdance...What a Feeling, but just days before the album was finalised for pressing, they wanted to scrap it and record I Think We're Alone Now instead. The booklet in the singles box set states that it was a planned single!

That was also an interesting one I didn't know about until reading Sarah's book. Wonder why the label decided to go with I Think We're Alone now in the end, quite a good decision since that went top 5 for them (even though it's clearly one of their most forgotton singles at this point).

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 14th December 2021, 12:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

TBH the singles from the Greatest Hits stories are a bit all over the place.

Nicola told me OTM was meant to be the first single and that she hated BCYLM yet it's widely noted she likes BCYLM and it was meant to be the first single. Then there's the rumour that only Cheryl and Kimberly like 'Something New'

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th December 2021, 02:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Dec 14 2021, 09:14 AM) *
I'm not sure if this is true, but I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that there was an original plan for Sound of the Underground to be a Double A Side with Stay Another Day (considering that One True Voice went with a Double A Side themselves), but in the end it was relegated to B Side status because they felt that Sound of the Underground was strong enough to stand on its own.

It was rumoured that they were going to release an unused Hear'Say song as their second single, called If You Wanna Roll With Me!

Another rumour - they were considering Rolling Back the Rivers in Time as a single. That was prior to Untouchable being confirmed.

I don't believe that Wicked Game was scrapped due to Long Hot Summer. It appeared on release schedules in March, scheduled for a release date of 30th May 2005 - but eventually got pulled. Polydor stated at the time that the reason for pulling it was "due to lack of time in the girls' busy schedule". Cheryl told Popjustice in April 2005 that she thought their version was "amazing", but I don't know if any of the others have ever given an opinion on it, other than Sarah recalling its existence in her autobiography: "For some reason it was pulled at the last minute. It's never been heard anywhere and none of us even have a copy of the recording. The video was even planned and signed off; it was meant to be a Bruce Weber-style black and white affair. Of course, that never happened either". Brian has mentioned over the years that he really didn't like the song though. Interestingly "Wicked Game" is written down in the Ringtones order page section of their 2005 tour programme, it seems that it went to print before they cancelled the song, or maybe it was just an oversight. Brian also said that Long Hot Summer was quite a rushed recording process, which makes me think that it wasn't worked on until a while after they'd cancelled Wicked Game.

Thanks for this extra info, I will include it on the first post later this evening, also heard somewhere that 'Black Jacks' was also considered as a single from 'Tangled Up'.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 14th December 2021, 02:29 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th December 2021, 02:47 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Found their first 2 eras were fine, the singles choices worked as well as they did, although wouldn't have minded 'Some Kind of Miracle' as a single. 'Deadlines & Dies' wouldn't have worked at all, THANK god it got changed to 'Love Machine' (the label were correct on that one).

But the "Chemistry" era was a bit questionable at best. I get why 'Long Hot Summer' was chosen as they were chasing that movie soundtrack. There were so many other choices that could have lead the album, but don't think much of the album was completed by that point, so it was the only viable option. However 'See The Day' was & still is a horrendous choice & 'Whole Lotta History' could have easily been a better fit for the X-Mas market. I know 'See The Day' was a big radio hit, but would it have really mattered.

Here's how I think the era should have went =

AUG '05 - Long Hot Summer
NOV '05 - Biology
DEC '05 - Whole Lotta History
MAR '06 - Models or Wild Horses

Pretty split on the final single as there's so many gems on 'Chemistry' - 'Models', 'Wild Horses', 'Watch Me Go' & 'Swinging London Town'.

'Tangled Up' should have had more singles though, despite the 3 released being perfect, but there were plenty of choices for a 4th single. I would have went with a double a-side of 'Girl Overboard/Control of the Knife'.

Imagine the era looking like this =

SEPT '07 - Sexy (No, No, No)
NOV '07 - Call The Shots
MAR '08 - Can't Speak French
JUNE '08 - Girl Overboard/Control of the Knife

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th December 2021, 02:52 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(dannjohn @ Dec 14 2021, 12:56 PM) *
TBH the singles from the Greatest Hits stories are a bit all over the place.

Nicola told me OTM was meant to be the first single and that she hated BCYLM yet it's widely noted she likes BCYLM and it was meant to be the first single. Then there's the rumour that only Cheryl and Kimberly like 'Something New'

Well that rumour is false because Cheryl has admitted that Something New is one of her least favourites, and Kimberley didn’t particularly want Something New as the single (she wanted On the Metro). Nadine was the main cheerleader for Something New.

Don’t believe that Nicola hated BCYLM… she sang its praises at the times and says she was desperate for Girls Aloud to secure and record it? Unless she’s subsequently soured to it. But she was 100% behind it in 2012.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 14th December 2021, 03:08 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Yeah, 'Whole Lotta History' as the Christmas single (but better managed) with 'See the Day' never existing and 'Models' as the early '06 single really would have been perfect.

Were double A-sides even a thing by 2008 though? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: 14th December 2021, 03:12 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 14th December 2021, 03:16 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Dec 14 2021, 03:08 PM) *
Yeah, 'Whole Lotta History' as the Christmas single (but better managed) with 'See the Day' never existing and 'Models' as the early '06 single really would have been perfect.

Were double A-sides even a thing by 2008 though? unsure.gif

I feel like Leona was one of the last artists to give us a final hurrah with the Double A Side Better in Time/Footprints in the Sand, which resulted in Footprints charting separately… it felt messy at the time!

+Quote this post
andibob
post 14th December 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,298

Before they release No Good Advice, a song called “Can’t Stop Rocking” was a contender to be the second single. There were threads about it on the forums. It didn’t get chosen in the end but many believe this song ended up on the SOTU album as Mars Attack due to the lyrics. Lucky escape there…

This post has been edited by andibob: 14th December 2021, 09:09 PM

+Quote this post
andibob
post 14th December 2021, 09:07 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 21,298

QUOTE(Nina West @ Dec 14 2021, 02:27 PM) *
Thanks for this extra info, I will include it on the first post later this evening, also heard somewhere that 'Black Jacks' was also considered as a single from 'Tangled Up'.

I think this comes from the the Tangled Up Tour intro. Black Jacks is one of the song titles that appears before the curtain drops and the others are their singles.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 14th December 2021, 11:02 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

'Models' would have made SO much sense and would have worked so well as a single, it's very memorable. 'Control Of The Knife' was always one of my favourites but 'Girl Overboard' really was robbed of it's time to shine. My other big wish was for 'On The Metro' obviously. I guess the girls wanted 'Deadlines & Diets' as it sounds quite similar to TLC's 'Waterfalls' and I know Cheryl in particular looked up to them massively.

This post has been edited by JulianaGrande: 14th December 2021, 11:03 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 19th December 2021, 10:00 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Run_For_Cover @ Dec 14 2021, 10:07 AM) *
I had no idea they covered Stay Another Day. I’ll have to listen to it now.

Don’t bother it’s terrible laugh.gif

I think Models is the only real big mistake that should have been either the lead or third single from chemistry something like
1. Biology
2. Not tonight Santa / See the day (double a-side Xmas release)
3. Models
4. Swinging London Town / whole lotta history

Close to love would have made a fab single and I think some kind of miracle would have done well but neither of them deserved to be released over the choices that were made over them.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 07:01 PM