BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Not one artist's album has gone platinum this year
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
k👠th
post Oct 17 2014, 03:12 AM
Post #1
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764
According to Billboard (viaDigital Music News), after nine months, not a single artist’s album has hit one million units sold in 2014 (in the U.S.). By far, Disney’s Frozen soundtrack is the year’s bestseller, hitting 3.12 million units.

So far, the bestselling artist albums of 2014 are Beyoncé’s self-titled (776,000) and Lorde’sPure Heroine (763,000). Both, however, were released in 2013 and have just accumulated those sales throughout 2014. The bestselling album that was actually released in 2014 is Eric Church's Outsiders with 722,000 units.

In 2013, five artist albums had crossed the one-million mark, led by Justin Timberlake’s 20/20 Experience, Billboard reports.

Ever increasingly, it looks like Gold (500,000 units) is the new platinum. In today’s age of declining sales, there is one bright spot, however: vinyl. Read more from Billboard:

Vinyl is up a whopping 47.5 percent to 6.074 million units from 4.12 million units last year. In fact, in the first nine-month period, vinyl album scans outpaced by 20,000 units all scans that the format had in all 12 months of last year, when vinyl sales totaled 6.054 million units. Jack White's Lazaretto is the best-selling title so far this year, with scans of almost 73,000 units.

And yet ARTPOP's 725k was blamed entirely on Gaga? Hmm. No one here seems to be taking this sales decay seriously imo, it's f***ing depressing tbh
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Oct 17 2014, 03:41 AM
Post #2
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
Depressing tbh, and it seems only the female pop stars have still gotten tagged with the flop status. While others get a free pass over a shit market.

SEXIST.

+Quote this post
britster
post Oct 17 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 407

Either that's an old article or they're using old data as (I'm fairly certain) Coldplay went ahead of Eric Church a few weeks ago.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Oct 17 2014, 07:49 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
This may well change once we get some Q4 albums (which, without wishing to stir the pot, ARTPOP was)

+Quote this post
Umi
post Oct 17 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
I think the article does hit the nail on the head - Gold does seem to be the better measure of a success now. Hitting 700k+ is an achievement and ARTPOP's total doesn't actually look so bad when you look at stuff like this.

It's depressing indeed. I don't just blame the market because a lot of big releases do end up being very frontloaded these days in comparison to previous years, but it doesn't help.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 17 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
In terms of mainstream albums, this year has been terrible anyway. 'ARTPOP' really should have opened with far bigger sales than it should have done and sold more than 700k! If Taylor can still open to massive numbers with 'Red' then the follow up to 'Born This Way' (which sold over a mil copies didn't it? - It should have sold at least it's current total in it's first week, imo) should have done quite easily, as well. I do agree that female artists get the hardest time and the "flop" tag does get thrown around more for them than the males/groups.

We all know album sales are declining rapidly, but if there is an album people want, they WILL buy it... Just look at Taylor and Adele for the most recent examples. Obviously sales are at a worse state than when they were released, but sales were deemed "bad/worse they'd been for years" when they sold the amounts they did.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post Oct 17 2014, 03:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457
sales are so bad the past 2 years, especially at the lower end of the BB Hot 200 that sales at the number 200 in the BB Hot 200 current albums spot is selling less than 1000 copies, which is really alarming...
i think the album market is dying fast and there's no way to save it, most of the albums are leaked online 2 weeks b4 their release, so ppl just download them for free, only a few actually pay for them, not to mention very few remaining CD shops who only stock the most commercial CD's...

so critics should stop labeling artists as flops since all current albums are labelled as flops compared to the year 2000's standard... if an album manages to sell 200k copies nowadays, it should be regarded as a success... even Taylor Swift and Adele's new releases will struggle to sell a quarter of what their last album did...

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Oct 17 2014, 05:54 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
I'm not surprised given that there hasn't been much in the way of releases. From what I can gather, a lot of releases are being in Q4 this year (more so than other years), so we'll likely see a rather big Q4 in the US for album sales.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Oct 17 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #9
Group icon
baddest of them all
QUOTE(Jonjo @ Oct 17 2014, 03:14 PM) *
In terms of mainstream albums, this year has been terrible anyway. 'ARTPOP' really should have opened with far bigger sales than it should have done and sold more than 700k! If Taylor can still open to massive numbers with 'Red' then the follow up to 'Born This Way' (which sold over a mil copies didn't it? - It should have sold at least it's current total in it's first week, imo) should have done quite easily, as well. I do agree that female artists get the hardest time and the "flop" tag does get thrown around more for them than the males/groups.

We all know album sales are declining rapidly, but if there is an album people want, they WILL buy it... Just look at Taylor and Adele for the most recent examples. Obviously sales are at a worse state than when they were released, but sales were deemed "bad/worse they'd been for years" when they sold the amounts they did.

Tbh Jonjo, 'Red' was released in 2012, '21' and 'Born This Way' in 2011 - in turn making their comparisons to 'ARTPOP' invalid. Like the article says a mere FIVE albums surpassed a million last year. I'm not 100% aware of how large the sales decline in 2013 was in comparison to 2011/2012 but I don't think it'd be inaccurate to estimate it was almost 50% - like Dark Horse says, if Taylor Swift or Adele were to release an album now - it would most likely not come even anywhere close to their previous figures. All the big album sellers have opened with around 200k this year, and have had steady chart runs yet struggle to surpass a million, but are much more successful than their sales figure would suggest.

The same goes for 'ARTPOP', Gold is the new Platinum like Billboard suggests - and in hindsight the performance of 'ARTPOP' with only one properly pushed single should not be classed as a flop or discredited, as Gaga is one of many artists to fall victim to the decay. For example, Justin Timberlake whose latest album BROKE RECORDS for album sales in his year but still only amassed half the total of his previous album.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 17 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
But still there was only a year between 'Red' and 'ARTPOP', sales won't have dropped too much (although still a hefty amount, obviously) for GaGa to have not opened with at least 500k-700k if Taylor could have done 1mil+ just one year prior to that (as I said in my earlier post). I'm not saying it'd come anywhere close to 'Born This Way''s sales, but it should have done a million overall, fairly easily. Had 'ARTPOP' been released this year and got the sales it did instead, I think I'd be more understanding about it's sales and performance. To use the term that it "flopped" is wrong and unfair, but I do think it's fair to say it under performed. sad.gif

EDIT: Also, I actually quite like it now. At least it's not so easy to get a platinum album anymore! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post Oct 17 2014, 11:08 PM
Post #11
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844
I reckon Taylor will manage it within a week or two of being on sal

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Oct 17 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #12
Group icon
baddest of them all
QUOTE(_Nīck_ @ Oct 18 2014, 01:08 AM) *
I reckon Taylor will manage it within a week or two of being on sal

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:41 AM