BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> R8: What's next?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
*Tim
post 9th May 2015, 02:44 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

With the underperformance of Bitch and the total flopping of American Oxygen, reports starting to leak about Rih re-working the album, as well as rumours circulating about Kanye leaving Roc Nation Management and thus being an executive producer on Rih's album (altho this has been denied by a "source"), what is next for R8?

Should Rihanna go back to somewhat more accessible pop, that'd be eaten by radio worldwide? Or should she stay on this experimental road and look towards a possible flop if we look at the past 2 singles?

Personally I've enjoyed the singles from this era, but it lacks that Rihanna oompf for me. I'd love to see Rih release a single with someone like Kygo or some other tropical house producer.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 9th May 2015, 02:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I do think she needs to be setting trends, not following them, but I also don't want her to flop... Kygo is a brilliant suggestion, I can't wait for the big popstars to start experimenting with tropical house.

I agree that the singles this era have been good enough, just not up to her usual standard and they're missing the usual magic. FFS is easily my fave but that's still her weakest lead for me.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 9th May 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

Part of the reason why I like Rihanna is because of her success so I need smash singles from her. I don't really care for her experimenting (OverRated R is overrated).

+Quote this post
PaPa Ri
post 9th May 2015, 10:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
JanWasRobbed
User: 8,335

All I want is catchy tunes, I don't give a damn if it's urban or heavy metal or chinese opera.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 10th May 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I think good music is something of an alien concept to her now, but hopefully someone in her team can drill some sense into her and create at least something vaguely worthwhile from this project.

+Quote this post
AV102
post 11th May 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,835

She needs to scrap whatever she has produced and record new material if she wants to save herself now

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 11th May 2015, 11:31 PM
Post #7
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

There just needs to be more structure to the campaign rather than just throwing stuff out there.

Like no one was even sure 'FourFiveSeconds' was a proper single for ages and was 'Bitch Better Have My Money' just an urban single or the second single? She's thrown out 3 songs in quick succession, along with the 'Home' songs yet there's not even a mention of R8.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 12th May 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I think a definite change is needed, I don't mind the experimental sound just as long as it's still good and honestly I don't find any of the singles from this era any good to be honest "FFS" the lead single was okay, but found it rather dull and lifeless, "BBHMM" was just plain terrible and forgettable and her most recent "AO" is also not very good. She needs to go back to the drawing board and really have a think of what to do next.

+Quote this post
classydude
post 14th May 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,830

I think a re-work is needed. I love Rih, but her team have really done her wrong here. cry.gif The perfect album campaign would have started if they fought for the Superbowl performance in Feb, which she'd preview a new song (she'd need something more powerful than FourFive, possibly like the 'World Peace' demo that leaked but a lot bigger.) That would create such a buzz, release the song on iTunes that week and then the Grammy performance the following Sunday of the song; bigger promotion, more chance of number one no? It's like her team don't want her to get a No 1 this Era. confused.gif

But none-the-less, FourFive has it's doubters but I do praise it for being so different to anything Rihanna's offered as a lead single, and I guess some people just don't like change. It performed well across the world and although it wasn't a number one it was certified Plat in US, and became the fastest song (probably not anymore due to Cheerleader and SYA) to reach 100m+ Streams on Spotify, so the GP were here for it. dancing.gif I think releasing it on a Thursday was dumb af because it's not as if the song is club-ready for the weekend.

Then things started to go downhill when Rih announced BBHMM to drop on a Thursday no.gif also. Although probably more sensible than dropping FourFive on a Thursday, It sill hurt the songs performance. She had the power to dethrone UF from it's No 1 US iTunes position for like four consecutive days and outsell it 2:1 and debuted at #23 based on three days sales and airplay. If they did it all in one week it would have slayed so hard. And Then we had the iHeartRadio performance for further promo and i'm glad that got uploaded to YT but seriously where is the video? She confirmed it on Jimmy but just like PIU it seems to be lost. And the sloppy Spotify release of it at the same time as AO2, killed it. thinking.gif

I don't even know where to begin with A02. If I was her I would have let BBHMM build a bit longer and release A02 a few weeks before 4th of July, and gain those chart point based on America loving America lmao. Let's be real the song isn't anything special, and it's cancelled release in the UK shows just how much it bombed as a single, and hopefully it remains a US-centered buzz single also. Meaning we've only had one official single, FourFive, and the era is saved (lmao).

To change this, Rih needs to release these three songs plus maybe the one for the Dior campaign as an EP on iTunes at the end of this month and come back at the end of the year for the holy golden Q4 sales boost, lead single in September, album in November, and stick to what she knows. They need to release on Spotify at the same time as it goes on iTunes, get radio deals in the US for longer than a day, release Audio and Lyric videos on VEVO to get streaming and have a clear-cut success plan to make her songs blow up again. Otherwise the R8 Era is going to be known as the sloppy Rihanna era.

I've finished my essay now lmao tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 15th May 2015, 01:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

We really need a smasher dance/pop tune after the dull singles she's had recently!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:32 PM