BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Game Of The Year, G.O.T.Y • What's Yours?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JSG
post 23rd November 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

So Buzzjackians!!
For those of you that have a game console, PC or game on your Mobile Phones,
What is your Game Of The Year?

For me, and it literally just came out 😂 It's Hyrule Warriors - Age Of Calamity.
It's a prequel to the best game of all time, 'The Legend Of Zelda - Breath Of The Wild', and already it's my game of the year cheer.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 23rd November 2020, 08:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

The Last of Us Part 2 by quite some distance.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 23rd November 2020, 08:50 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Nov 23 2020, 08:48 PM) *

I did have a ps4 until June but I sold it to pay for my Switch. I played Last Of Us Remastered and it was phenomenal. I had planned to get The Last Of Us 2 but I decided I wanted a Nintendo Switch more.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 23rd November 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 19,614

I low key want to say Among Us for personal reasons as well as the obvious factors of being insanely fun and the game I've played the most this year (well it's 1 hour behind Fall Guys but so much of that is me sitting in lobby queues so eh). But that game is from 2018 so I guess Hades? It keeps being fun and doing the roguelite dopamine dosing like nothing else really (willing to say Slay The Spire might be better when I get to playing that).

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 23rd November 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #5
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Nov 23 2020, 08:48 PM) *

The only game I've played this year! Have to agree, fantastic game.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 24th November 2020, 02:02 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I'd say Among Us for cultural impact, hang the release date. Fall Guys and Animal Crossing, the other two I'd say that challenge that didn't get me as invested as much - didn't even play Animal Crossing even. Among Us is responsible for so many moments, personally and for internet highlights, in the latter half of the year.

Hades looks so good though - this is the problem, I very rarely play games the year they are released. But I always like championing something indie and clearly quality so hope that gets some recognition. Good roguelikes really get me swept up when I get round to playing them - e.g. Slay The Spire, Isaac.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 24th November 2020, 03:11 AM
Post #7
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Switch, although I haven't played in months! I did return to Link's Awakening on the Switch mid-year though and 100% completed the game, so that's a very close second. I also returned to Breath Of The Wild after like 2 years of not playing laugh.gif As far as 2020 releases though it has to be Animal Crossing.

Lately I've been playing a lot of Assassins Creed Valhalla which is my #1 PC game of the year. It has a great story, large open world with lots to discover, an interesting ability set & skill tree, the only downsides I have found with the game so far is potentially the biggest one that matters tbh. The climbing/parkour isn't the smartest of features. Such as climbing a wall underneath a canopy getting nowhere instead of simply climbing on top of the canopy. I feel as though the parkour aspect hasn't really improved much in the last 7-8 years for these games laugh.gif But I feel like you could get through a lot of the story without parkour tbh there's a lot of hack & slash viking fun to be had!

Planet Zoo is a close #2 (released last year, again)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 24th November 2020, 07:59 AM
Post #8
Group icon

also as ever when this comes up my absolute favourite games and the ones I spend most hours in over the years tend to be ones that have a long life cycle and are constantly being improved - so Paradox games, MMORPGs - and it just doesn't work going by the yearly cycle.

e.g. EUIV got a pretty great update this year with further HRE mechanics and as ever I was playing it a lot in the first half of the year, and it seems like Hearts Of Iron IV has finally been updated enough to go on my regular play list, though the second half of the year for Paradox wasn't so great. Paradox games tend to be so bare bones on release that I've only just this month gotten Imperator Rome (and will likely only regularly play it after it gets a couple more DLC) and CKIII will probably be in my library in about 2 years once it's had a bunch of updates and DLC available.

and as far as AC goes, lol, I'll always be about 6-8 games behind the current one because I INSIST on doing it that way, it's all about the historical tourism for me. So Valhalla by the end of this decade, maybe.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 24th November 2020, 08:04 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Crash Bandicoot 4 of course wink.gif

+Quote this post
JSG
post 24th November 2020, 09:14 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Dexton @ Nov 24 2020, 03:11 AM) *
Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Switch, although I haven't played in months! I did return to Link's Awakening on the Switch mid-year though and 100% completed the game, so that's a very close second. I also returned to Breath Of The Wild after like 2 years of not playing laugh.gif

I completed Animal Crossing in a month. I hadn't realised just how short the main game was when I got it 😂😂 but I did get bored of it very quickly after that.

As for BOTW, did you complete it? If you have, I'd suggest getting Hyrule Warriors - Age Of Calamity. It tells the story of what happened before BOTW and is now an official Prequel to BOTW.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 24th November 2020, 09:16 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(💀 Mori 💀 @ Nov 24 2020, 07:59 AM) *
also as ever when this comes up my absolute favourite games and the ones I spend most hours in over the years tend to be ones that have a long life cycle and are constantly being improved - so Paradox games, MMORPGs - and it just doesn't work going by the yearly cycle.

e.g. EUIV got a pretty great update this year with further HRE mechanics and as ever I was playing it a lot in the first half of the year, and it seems like Hearts Of Iron IV has finally been updated enough to go on my regular play list, though the second half of the year for Paradox wasn't so great. Paradox games tend to be so bare bones on release that I've only just this month gotten Imperator Rome (and will likely only regularly play it after it gets a couple more DLC) and CKIII will probably be in my library in about 2 years once it's had a bunch of updates and DLC available.

and as far as AC goes, lol, I'll always be about 6-8 games behind the current one because I INSIST on doing it that way, it's all about the historical tourism for me. So Valhalla by the end of this decade, maybe.

I think the only online game I play is Fortnite and maybe Splatoon 2 but rarely for both. I've never played an AC game and I really should have when I had my PS4. There are multiple available for Switch but I just have no idea where to start.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 24th November 2020, 09:39 AM
Post #12
Group icon

start at the beginning of course magic.gif

Obviously it doesn't work that way for many games but with AC, all the incarnations are still relatively modern with the possible exception of the first, which, though has a beautiful holy land and is about the only game to actually accurately have assassins and templars, is a little torturous with unskippable cutscenes and linear railroaded gameplay (so, start at AC2 if that sounds bad and you get a bit of the context of the first in Revelations anyway). But I would go into them with the expectation of seeing a lot of world cities and time periods rendered in exploratory fashion with a sort of consistent plot and an occasional bit of stabbing, because very soon they become standard open-world simulators and if you're expecting high action that'll jar.

(or they did do a soft reboot and made an entry point more recently with Origins but I haven't actually played that or followup Odyssey to confirm how good it is, apparently it does improve the formula though)

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 24th November 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #13
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

QUOTE(JSG @ Nov 24 2020, 05:14 PM) *
I completed Animal Crossing in a month. I hadn't realised just how short the main game was when I got it ���� but I did get bored of it very quickly after that.

As for BOTW, did you complete it? If you have, I'd suggest getting Hyrule Warriors - Age Of Calamity. It tells the story of what happened before BOTW and is now an official Prequel to BOTW.

Yeah I finished the main Animal Crossing story, put it down for the day, and it hasn't seen the light of day since like April laugh.gif

I still haven't finished BOTW laugh.gif I've defeated (?) two of the Divine Beasts and I started doing random side quests but I doubt I'll ever finish it. I played the demo for AOC and it seemed okay, not really my thing I don't think. I fully intend to get BOTW2 though even if i'll only get 20% of the way through

QUOTE(�� Mori �� @ Nov 24 2020, 03:59 PM) *

The last AC game I played before this was Black Flag when it was first released! Before that I'd played all the main series games although I don't think I ever fully finished one lmao. I spent a lot of time in BF just traversing the world in my pirate ship tbh an RPG pirate game is all 14 year old me ever wanted in life laugh.gif And now I get to role play a viking which is just as fun (with a hell of a lot of lore around norse gods and the roman empire)

edit to above: Apparently Odyssey and Origins are both incredible games, I haven't played either but from what I've heard. After Valhalla I'm thinking of going back to Syndicate and playing through that, then Origins then Odyssey

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 24th November 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #14
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

From 2020 year releases I wait Immortals Fenyx Rising. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 24th November 2020, 11:10 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Firstly I'd say FF7 remake, just a perfect re-imagining of a game I already loved in a fresh and new way. I always prefer more action orientated games so a turn based game I loved going down that route just really hit the spot.

Solid mention to the remake of Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom too, perfect nostalgia trip for a game I loved as a kid. Also Nexomon: Extinction, it borrowed more than a bit from Pokemon but it did some things better arguably, such as the story and the level scaling. It's kind of open world (although you do the story in a certain order, you can go all over the map when you want) and the story genuinely has some surprises to it.

I would say Horace as well, which is an indie platformer recently released for Switch (I believe it's been on PC since last year), all made by two people! It is incredibly ambitious, deep and rich for an indie game, it's not just any old platformer, there's so much variation with not just environments but minigames. And, without exaggeration, it has to be the best story I've ever seen in a platformer? It's so so engaging, heartwarming at times, heart-wrenching at others, a real emotional rolleroaster which I'd describe as like playing a Pixar game. HOWEVER, it is ridiculously hard which brings it down a bit for me laugh.gif I wouldn't say it's unfair, as there are frequent checkpoints like in games such as Super Meat Boy (it's not quite that hard), pretty much each "room", but it can be frustrating at times in its hardness. It would be my game of the year no question if not for that, that's just a personal thing though.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 24th November 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Last Dreamer @ Nov 24 2020, 10:15 AM) *
From 2020 year releases I wait Immortals Fenyx Rising. smile.gif

I was contemplating getting this but I've bought two games in the last month and I can't really afford it, so I'll wait until after Christmas I think.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 24th November 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 24 2020, 11:10 AM) *
Firstly I'd say FF7 remake, just a perfect re-imagining of a game I already loved in a fresh and new way. I always prefer more action orientated games so a turn based game I loved going down that route just really hit the spot.

Solid mention to the remake of Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom too, perfect nostalgia trip for a game I loved as a kid. Also Nexomon: Extinction, it borrowed more than a bit from Pokemon but it did some things better arguably, such as the story and the level scaling. It's kind of open world (although you do the story in a certain order, you can go all over the map when you want) and the story genuinely has some surprises to it.

I would say Horace as well, which is an indie platformer recently released for Switch (I believe it's been on PC since last year), all made by two people! It is incredibly ambitious, deep and rich for an indie game, it's not just any old platformer, there's so much variation with not just environments but minigames. And, without exaggeration, it has to be the best story I've ever seen in a platformer? It's so so engaging, heartwarming at times, heart-wrenching at others, a real emotional rolleroaster which I'd describe as like playing a Pixar game. HOWEVER, it is ridiculously hard which brings it down a bit for me laugh.gif I wouldn't say it's unfair, as there are frequent checkpoints like in games such as Super Meat Boy (it's not quite that hard), pretty much each "room", but it can be frustrating at times in its hardness. It would be my game of the year no question if not for that, that's just a personal thing though.

I think I've only ever played FF13? might be 14 or 12 for that matter. All I know is that it was on XB360.
SpongeBob ☺️ I never played the original or the remake.
I've never heard of Horace but I have heard of Hades. The amount of Switch owners on other forums I've seen grab that game is unreal.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 24th November 2020, 11:55 AM
Post #18
Group icon

I got Horace in a Humble Bundle a while back (I can say that about many many indie games but few which are mentioned here) - not played it as I'm not sure it's my thing and my to-play list is so goddamn deep but I do remember hearing some very good things about its story from the reviews at the time - whenever there's a Humble Bundle release I make sure to check out reviews of its content so I have an idea of how to order my backlog - so that does sound solid.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 24th November 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #19
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835

Imma be honest ive not played any 2020 games myself so id say fall guys or animal crossing as these are ones i love watching, fall guys just looks like choatic fun and animal crossing is so fun and calming.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 24th November 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(JSG @ Nov 24 2020, 11:30 AM) *
I think I've only ever played FF13? might be 14 or 12 for that matter. All I know is that it was on XB360.
SpongeBob ☺️ I never played the original or the remake.
I've never heard of Horace but I have heard of Hades. The amount of Switch owners on other forums I've seen grab that game is unreal.

13 is lowkey the worst oops

QUOTE(💀 Mori 💀 @ Nov 24 2020, 11:55 AM) *
I got Horace in a Humble Bundle a while back (I can say that about many many indie games but few which are mentioned here) - not played it as I'm not sure it's my thing and my to-play list is so goddamn deep but I do remember hearing some very good things about its story from the reviews at the time - whenever there's a Humble Bundle release I make sure to check out reviews of its content so I have an idea of how to order my backlog - so that does sound solid.

You definitely have to love platformers, it's such a homage to old 2D platformers (but also just 8 and 16 bit era games in general), the story is worth it if you do push through though wub.gif

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:06 AM