BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christina Aguilera: 1st Album, Debut album discussion
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jordanlee
post Nov 5 2019, 11:19 AM
Post #1
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

Thought I’d make this it’s likely not to get much discussion though.

Currently listening to her debut album and quite surprised at how decent sounding it is for being 20 year old it really isn’t that dated.
Going to listen to each of her albums (and the Xmas one and burlesque) again in the coming days / next week.

What’s people’s favourite tracks from her debut though? Aside from the singles I love Somebody’s Somebody and Love For All Seasons. Part of it actually reminds me of Ariana in places!

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Nov 5 2019, 11:20 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Nov 5 2019, 11:29 AM
Post #2
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I have a major soft spot for 'Love For All Seasons', cheesy as it is.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Nov 5 2019, 11:31 AM
Post #3
Hello?
Member No.: 116
   No Gallery Pics

I still love Blessed and Reflection, as well as the singles.

+Quote Post
No Sleeep
post Nov 5 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 22,008
   No Gallery Pics

Love Will Find a Way should’ve been a single!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 5 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #5
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

It's been a long time since I listened to this; can't believe this is 20 years old (I feel so old). Remember the good old days of the Britney VS Christina rivalry (that really takes me back) & despite Christina having the far better voice, Britney had the more successful career.

But as for this album of course the singles 'Genie In A Bottle' & 'What A Girl Wants' are by far the best tracks & even have a soft spot for the original version of 'Come On Over (All I Want Is You)', its a fun little number. However I do feel that 'I Turn To You' hasn't aged all that well, even more cliché than it was back then. Other standouts 'Reflection' (her vocals are fantastic on this, especially on the high notes). 'So Emotional' has that very 90's mid-tempo groove to it & this was gonna be the 4th single with 'COO' to follow, but for whatever reason it never happened. Then finally 'Love Will Find A Way' very cheesy but fun & quite catchy.

Overall the album was fine for a debut, there are some great moments on there, but quite a few forgettable numbers as well & not something I go back to regularly, except maybe for nostalgia.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Nov 5 2019, 05:34 PM
Post #6
Jord

I hadn’t listened to it for a long long time until today but I think album wise had the best debut as a whole package. It’s a lot better than Pinks debut album and it’s better than Britneys too.

It’s a great solid album. I can agree with what some other people have said about some tracks though. I think I need to re listen again tbh. I totally forgot about Come on Over being different as well I was taken back then I realised the single version was different (and slightly better). I genuinely forgot how good this was. I’ve always loved Christina but it’s Stripped, Back to Basics and Bionic what I tend to go back to more. After hearing this properly with new ears though I think it’s a better album than Lotus!

What it’s UK sales looking like now? It passed 300K didn’t it. I felt it deserved more tbh it’s peak feels really low though and is probably misleading on its success.

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Nov 5 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

I disagree, I think Britney had much better tracks overall... Imho there's just 1 great song in Christina's album, Genie in a Bottle, the rest are ok-ish/bad... for me it's unbelievable to think that a song as mediocre as I Turn to You made the top 3 in the US or What a Girl Wants made it to #1 in the US

Britney's album had at least 3/4 good songs

and sure Pink's debut I don't like it that much but that was more r'n'b than pop, don't think Pink had found her direction yet

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 5 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #8
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Out of Britney's & Christina's debut's.....I have to say Britney's is far better, for starters it has the 4 big singles ('Baby One More Time', 'Sometimes', '(You Drive Me) Crazy' & 'Born To Make You Happy'), all 4 or at least 3 of them are iconic Britney classics, while on Christina's I would only consider 'Genie In A Bottle' a classic out of the singles, 'What A Girl Wants' was good for its time, but now feels rather dated as well as 'I Turn To You' & can't really count 'Come On Over' as that was radically changed from its original album version.

Plus Britney's album is far more memorable, apart from the singles my faves 'Deep In My Heart', 'I Will Be There' & 'Thinkin' About You', yeah they're also dated, but you gotta admit that they're catchy as hell.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 5 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I like so emotional at the time.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Nov 6 2019, 01:52 AM
Post #10
Jord

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Nov 5 2019, 07:38 PM) *
Out of Britney's & Christina's debut's.....I have to say Britney's is far better, for starters it has the 4 big singles ('Baby One More Time', 'Sometimes', '(You Drive Me) Crazy' & 'Born To Make You Happy'), all 4 or at least 3 of them are iconic Britney classics, while on Christina's I would only consider 'Genie In A Bottle' a classic out of the singles, 'What A Girl Wants' was good for its time, but now feels rather dated as well as 'I Turn To You' & can't really count 'Come On Over' as that was radically changed from its original album version.

Plus Britney's album is far more memorable, apart from the singles my faves 'Deep In My Heart', 'I Will Be There' & 'Thinkin' About You', yeah they're also dated, but you gotta admit that they're catchy as hell.

For me Britneys albums got better as she released more stuff.

I think In The Zone and Blackout are her best albums for me. Britney nailed singles but a lot of her albums are very patchy in my opinion. I think Christina has better albums in general personally.

Ive always preferred Christina though. Does anyone know if at the time it was a huge shock when Christina got the Best New artist Grammy? I know Britney was nominated but was she the favourite to get it due to being the biggest new artist of the time or was it always looking likely to go to Christina? I was only 5 at the time so I can’t say I remember I was thinking of this today though.

This post has been edited by Jordan Lee: Nov 6 2019, 01:56 AM

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Nov 6 2019, 04:28 AM
Post #11
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 1,454

Genie in a Bottle, So Emotional, and Come On Over (All I Want Is You).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:54 AM