BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> BBC Sound of... ° 2015, new acts you/the industry are tipping for next year —
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jessie Where
post 1st December 2014, 01:28 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(BillyH @ Dec 1 2014, 12:23 AM) *
Where the hell is the annual "[Female Name] and the [Noun]"? Florence and the Machine? Marina and the Diamonds? Esben and the Witch? Niki and the Dove?

Petition for George the Poet to change his name to George and the Poet and KEEP THE TRADITION ALIVE.

But that still wouldn't be a female name.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 1st December 2014, 07:04 AM
Post #22
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

I predict Years & Years will win this, with a re-release of "Real" or "I Wish I Knew" will go Top 10 in the new year.

James Bay will probably win the critics' choice.

Tomorrow at 0830 the Blog Sound of 2015 will be released, featuring (in addition to the BBC list) I would expect the following:

* Laura Doggett
* Seinabo Sey
* Josef Salvat
* Chløë Black
* Ryn Weaver

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 1st December 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

There's a few I like on the list, but I'd hope Novelist wins out of all of them.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 1st December 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Was really hoping Tinashe could be on there sad.gif Still hope she manages a hit out of 2 On anyway.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 1st December 2014, 12:21 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265

Some great artists on here, nice to see quite a diverse list too!

George the Poet is on quite a few of these lists and its not hard to see why; a spoken word artist with an urban sensibility, hopefully he becomes massive!! Wonder how the public will react to his songs though.

Kwabs too deserves to be big, think it may help if he guested on a dance track a la Sam Smith or John Newman to create more awareness of his talent. Wrong or Right is outstanding and Pray For Love and Walk are excellent. He's the sort of artist people of all ages can get into I think laugh.gif

Great to see Novelist and Stormzy on here and grime getting some mainstream recognition. Stormzy won the MOBO for best Grime artist, amazing considering he's unsigned and the renaissance grime has had in 2014. Not That Deep is a tune, and he's collobarated with Wretch 32, Jacob Banks, Wiley and Chip recently.

Novelist should have a good year seeing as he's been signed, surprised to see he's only 17!!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st December 2014, 01:03 PM
Post #26
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Chip[munk] is still around? Haven't heard anything about him for AGES.

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 1st December 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 1 2014, 01:03 PM) *
Chip[munk] is still around? Haven't heard anything about him for AGES.

He's gone back underground laugh.gif Him, Dizzee Rascal and Tinchy Stryder have seemingly stopped doing pop songs and jumped back onto grime.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st December 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #28
Group icon

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Dec 1 2014, 01:06 PM) *
He's gone back underground laugh.gif Him, Dizzee Rascal and Tinchy Stryder have seemingly stopped doing pop songs and jumped back onto grime.

I still hear about Dizzee and Tinchy a bit though (I do pay some attention to 'underground' grime shockingly enough!), I literally don't think I've heard a single thing about Chip since 'Reload'. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
jakee
post 1st December 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #29
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

it's a very banal list this year in all honesty, pretty much shows where the industry is at currently i.e. something of a stalemate. though i believe the composition of the list has altered somewhat this year with the exclusion of music bloggers and therefore the list is made up entirely of individuals who earn a paid living from the music industry and are of course naturally out of touch and clueless...

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post 1st December 2014, 02:30 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 1 2014, 01:25 PM) *
I still hear about Dizzee and Tinchy a bit though (I do pay some attention to 'underground' grime shockingly enough!), I literally don't think I've heard a single thing about Chip since 'Reload'. laugh.gif

Didn't expect many people on Buzzjack too tbh (nice to see though laugh.gif)

Chip's done a few guest verses this year, like Krept & Konan's Don't Waste My Time and Maverick Sabre's Emotion but I assume he's just been working on his new album. The song I mentioned with Stormzy is called "I'm Fine" and premiered last week. Its decent enough, but more of a buzz track than anything.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st December 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

The only one I'm particularly taken by is Rae Morris from those... Her voice is sublime <3 Shura's Touch is great too. Then again there are a few I've not heard of or have heard of but never really bothered listening to, so if I give them a chance I'm sure I'll like a few of the others.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 1st December 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Lapsley to do well please, her material is pretty good.

I wouldn't mind Wolf Alice and Years & Years to feature inside the top 5.

+Quote this post
SLlewellyn
post 1st December 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 13,126

Reckon James Bay could go on to do the double for 2015 - strange to think that it's been females dominating these polls from 2008 and in the past few years it's been males (Michael Kiwanuka, Tom Odell, Sam Smith...)

Slaves, Rae Morris, Years & Years, Wolf Alice, George The Poet and Kwabs all deserving of some success too - I think Years & Years will get it with or without this poll tbh.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 1st December 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #34
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I hope Rae Morris can win, if just because I like it when this isn't the same as Critics Choice and they are slightly more risky, I know Michael Kiwanuka was this and wasn't the best choice in retrospect, but I feel Rae would be more commercial. Would be quite disappointed by a predictable Years & Years/James Bay top 2 (though they'll botth be top 5 easily).

Fairly solid list, I like what I've heard of SOAK & Shura (all of one song each whoops).

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 1st December 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #35
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Yay at Soak making it. Having seen her all the way back in 2012, I knew she'd make the list at some stage. I'll still never forgive Bre for stealing her for Unknown Pleasures (even though my alternate entry ended up finishing above her)

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 1 2014, 08:04 AM) *
Tomorrow at 0830 the Blog Sound of 2015 will be released, featuring (in addition to the BBC list) I would expect the following:

* Laura Doggett
* Seinabo Sey
* Josef Salvat
* Chløë Black
* Ryn Weaver

As one of the bloggers who voted on this year's poll, who has seen the longlist, I can say that your selection of artists is very interesting indeed.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 1st December 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #36
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

It does feel a bit threadbare this year really, Rae and Years & Years are reliably great but from what I have heard of the others none of them hugely excite me, based on their descriptions about half I'd never go near anyway and the others are...variable. Slaves could be interesting but I don't know much about them. Wolf Alice for example are 50/50, their heavier songs are very much in the right direction for me, their lighter stuff is by contrast very dull and off-putting.

Commercially, I would be rather surprised if any more than Rae, Bay, Years & Years and perhaps Kwabs too, went anywhere.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st December 2014, 11:09 PM
Post #37
Group icon

I could see Raury being big if he actually gets support. R1 have already playlisted at least one of his tracks I think so there's a chance.

People should check out this song if they have not already ~

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 2nd December 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #38
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Love James Bay, hope he wins. Also hope Rae Morris, Slaves, Wolf Alice, Kwabs, Shamir, Shura, George The Poet, Raury, SOAK, Years and Years and Sunset Suns do well next year. wub.gif

Not sure on Lapsley and Stormzy yet. Never heard of Novelist so will need to hear something of his

This post has been edited by harryflynn0908: 2nd December 2014, 06:13 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 2nd December 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #39
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 1 2014, 10:57 PM) *
Yay at Soak making it. Having seen her all the way back in 2012, I knew she'd make the list at some stage. I'll still never forgive Bre for stealing her for Unknown Pleasures (even though my alternate entry ended up finishing above her)

He's renowned for being incredibly cheap and stealing others' potentials with his entries for BJSC and UP, you were just the latest victim. sad.gif

Here is the Blogger's Sound of 2015.

*All We Are - Liverpool 3 piece who describe their music as 'psychedelic boogie'.

*Black Honey - Brighton based indie band formerley known as Kill Moon

*Chløë Black - Tags her music as 'goth 'n' soul'

*Coasts - Indie rock band from Bristol who have comparisons with Foals

*Deers - A band from Spain who first created a stir with some lo-fi demos earlier this year.

*Fickle Friends - Danceable indie music from another Brighton based band.

*Flyte - Classic old fashioned songwriting with an indie pop twist.

*Halfrican - Glasgow based punk rock

*Honne - R&B influenced electronics and soul pop.

*Låpsley - Solo artist from Liverpool making downtempo electronica with a range of influences.

*Prides - Synth pop group from Scotland, who performed at the Commonwealth Games

*Shura - Singer songwriter and producer using synths to create a mellow pop sound.

*Soak - Singer songwriter from Derry whose real name is Bridie Monds-Watson.

*Sophie Jamieson - Singer songwriter who has been compared to Daughter. Was also on last year's list.

*Tei Shi - Describes her music as 'mermaid music'. Make of that what you will!

A much better list (no Years & Years D: because they had a Top 10 hit this year).

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 2nd December 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #40
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Finally, a former Terra Avium act breaks through to the real world! *.* (I'm aware not many of you will get that) Fickle Friends seem very good, a bit like a slightly more upbeat/guitar based CHVRCHES. Glad for Prides as well, shame they couldn't make the actual Sound of list this year

This post has been edited by FrostytheWallaby: 2nd December 2014, 10:11 PM

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 02:45 PM