BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
17 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Persephonia / National Thread, BJSC 120: Vegyn - Debold
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
✖ leww ✖
post 2nd November 2017, 02:06 AM
Post #181
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

have ALL of my hype this month
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd November 2017, 02:21 AM
Post #182
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hype hype hype from me too!

Seriously thinking that 'IDL' is going to place in the top 5 if not contend for the win.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 18th November 2017, 01:38 AM
Post #183
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Persephonian News Bulletin apologises for building up another little backlog of publications in here (coming soon x) but the gist of it is that we finished off the year with back to back top 10 hits for only the second time in our history (LUNA's 'Butylochka' coming 5th in BJSC 99 and Life Sim's 'IDL' 10th in BJSC 100) cheer.gif x Now is the time for us to plan which song we'll spectacularly lose our top 10 streak with in BJSC 101. x

We will also dump the top 30 of our 2016 EOY list in here soon with the remaining rankings of countries' entries (probably not gonna get around to writing the rest of the paragraphs I'm afraid) before embarking on a much less ambitious 2017 EOY that we can actually finish in a timely manner. Hype.

[/late]

QUOTE(HowtoCookMattias @ Oct 27 2017, 11:28 AM) *
bump lol

So I know you're not particularly the biggest fan of my AaRON entry (mad.gif x) but I thought it works fairly well with your Dance with the Dead one, despite the slight synth overload lmao. https://rave.dj/wxViNRG_aK99VA

(yes it seems rave.dj is making its way into the BJSC forum now)

Parts of this do work pretty well! (Although the 'Waves' instrumental is way too loud and overpowering when it first comes in lol). Slay x

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 18th November 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #184
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Well done on top 10 with this! Now I ask... what does IDL actually stand for?

+Quote this post
Brer
post 18th November 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #185
Group icon

I don't think it stands for anything (or if it does it's known only to Life Sim) laugh.gif I found one article theorising that it stands for 'I Don't Like' but that's just a guess as far as I can tell. x

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th January 2018, 12:20 AM
Post #186
Group icon

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 16/01/2018
"yes this still exists" super mega catchup edition [1/4]

BJSC 99 summary

- BJSC 99 in Medhelnia blew away the year to date bests in position, points and voters we achieved in the previous contest, as Persephonia finished 5th out of 41 with LUNA's 'Butylochka', taking home 273 points from 31 voters (winning a tiebreak between 5th and 6th). That gave us our first top 10 of the year, our first top 5 since DANCE WITH THE DEAD's 'Waves' came 3rd 20 contests earlier and our 10th top 5 and 12th top 10 hit to date in total. It also matched our 2017 record for most top scores as it received 3 18s, from Aeroche, Desbuanda and Lotunia, matching the number we got with End Of The Dream's 'Colder' in BJSC 92, while also getting medal positions from Deandria, D'yermak'er, Skall and St. Burbia (13 points from each of them). Key to LUNA's success was partially that she received points from several countries that very rarely vote for Persephonia, most notably ending our longest standing points drought from an active nation, as we got 2 points from Sandebörg marking our first points from them since BJSC 65. Thanks to all those who voted for us, and feel free to do it more often xx Additionally 'Butylochka' was our first semi-final top 5 finisher of the year, coming 5th of 34 in semi-final 1, and our first song of the year to crack 100 points in a semi-final (105). It was projected for 8th in the final.

- Pegged by many as a big hit but not necessarily a winner, it was Unovia who ended up on top of the pile in BJSC 99 to win the right to host the landmark 100th contest (the first time they would host a contest solo after previously being a co-host in BJSCs 76, 85 and 94). Francesca Michielin's 'Vulcano' was the song to finally give them a win making them the latest country to get a first win after years of entering with no luck - (South) Danaelanda and Quintessa had previously joined this list in 2017, getting their first wins after 53 and 40 failures respectively, but Unovia bested both of those as their win came after 64 previous appearances with a peak of 3rd place (achieved in BJSC 40 with The Charlies' 'Monster (Eat Me)' and again in BJSC 74 with Courtney Barnett's 'Pedestrian At Best'). Only Kylienips' famous first win after 74 failures beats Unovia's stats here. 'Vulcano' won BJSC 99 with 321 points, a comfortable 27 ahead of its closest challenger, becoming Unovia's 15th top 10 hit in all. It also became the first Italian language song to win BJSC, and the sixth entirely foreign language song to win.

- One of the songs more tipped as a winner was Ultraviolenceland's entry 'Raincheck' by Hannah Jane Lewis, going for the country's third winner of 2017. It ultimately fell short, but still finished 2nd with 294 points, giving them their third medalist and 5th top 10 hit all in the space of 10 contests. The bronze medal went to Aeroche who continued their late year invincible form, with retro dance entry 'Rockin' For Myself' by Motiv 8 featuring Angie Brown coming 3rd with 285 points to give them their third straight top 5 hit (their 26th to date and their 32nd top 10 hit in all, out of 56 entries). But it still wasn't quite the winner for them, and didn't quite get them to the year-to-date #1 spot yet... flop! (We all know what happens next). 'Rockin' For Myself' was the winner of semi-final 2, meaning Aeroche extended their record as the nation with the most semi-final wins with a stunning 10 (count em: Kate Boy's 'Northern Lights' in BJSC 51, Toyboy & Robin's 'Jaded' in BJSC 62, Orbital's 'Wonky' (feat. Lady Leshurr) in BJSC 63, A. G. Cook's 'Beautiful' in BJSC 66, Sidewalks And Skeletons' 'EXHUME' in BJSC 73, Kove's 'Hurts' (feat. Moko) in BJSC 76, Ponibbi's 'HEARTSKIP' in BJSC 77, Polyna's 'Angel' (Club Mix) in BJSC 84 and Fraunhofer Diffraction's 'Fate' in BJSC 90 were the previous nine). Probably the only thing holding them back more is that they keep getting pesky auto-qualifiers. Just beating us into fourth place in BJSC 99, New Lexico got 274 points with Confidence Man's earworm 'Better Sit Down Boy', the highest they've finished since they were still known as Allecian (their last 4th place finish was with Ask Embla's 'Einn' in BJSC 39, and the only other time they've come this high - and still their only medal position finish - was in the ultra cheap early days of BJSC, when they came 3rd with The Saturdays' 'Up' in BJSC 10). It was New Lexico's 11th top 10 to date and their 7th top 5 (with them coming 5th four times between 'Einn' and 'Better Sit Down Boy').

- The country we edged into 6th by receiving 2 more votes was FSR Rontvia, who settled for just a record-extending 49th top 10 hit and not quite that 30th top 5 with Tom Fall's instrumental 'Kaamos'. Cadelicia got their second top 10 of the year and 9th to date with RABBII's ~provocative~ 'All Men Must Die' finishing in 7th place. FARC finished in 8th with Ida Da Silva's 'Throw Your Love', their 13th top 10 hit, but did manage to win the race for most 18s in the final picking up 5 maximums. Hendinia managed to qualify to the final despite facing a 15% points deduction in the semi-final for late votes, a good omen for success for them, and indeed they finished a solid 9th with Burak Yeter and Ryan Riback's 'GO 2.0' giving them a 39th top 10 hit to date (and a second in a row). Finally, Altyr Muunilinst completed the top 10 in the anchor position with NONONO's 'Masterpiece', their 23rd top 10 hit.

- Aside from Unovia, the only country setting a new national best was Cowtermont who made the final for the first time on their second attempt, finishing a solid 18th place with the Icarus Edit of ARLE's 'Close To You'. No countries made their debut appearance in BJSC 99.

- There were 5 countries making returns to the contest, of which two made the final: Beaverdonia were back after a one month ban and came 32nd with Touch Sensitive's 'Pizza Guy' (actually not a novelty song despite what you'd expect from the title) and N DNTN returned from a two-contest absence to a (criminally low) 34th place finish with Yaeji's 'Last Breath'. Another comeback for Ajanaeda was as unsuccessful as the last few with them falling short of the final for the fourth time in 2017 and once again failing to submit votes in the final. Jukianië made a return after 10 contests' absence, and promptly finished last in the semi-final yet again (for the fourth time in their history). And then there was the country that is increasingly difficult to list the name change history of, best known as Elëdan but once again rebranding for their return in BJSC 99 which they entered as The Jasmine Masters Kingdom and also fell short of the final, where they too did not submit votes. As it happens, there was no ban for non-voting enforced in BJSC 100 due to it being a milestone contest, so Ajanaeda and The Jasmine Masters Kingdom (as well as other non-voters Avalonia and Helgon) had the chance to enter again the next month anyway. That's not to say no one was banned for BJSC 100. But that's a rabbit hole we won't discuss here in PNB. R.I.P. Zanmatony.

- Triangledonia took the wooden spoon for BJSC 99 (their first), finishing 41st of 41 with Rob & Chris' 'Zeitmaschine' (90s Mix). They received 92 points to earn the honour. The only other entry to fail to crack the 100 point barrier was Niceland's entry 'Hamadzayn Em' by Sofi Mkheyan which fell just one point short.

- Other noteworthy results: Deandria finished 11th with Solarstone and Giuseppe Ottaviani's 'Falcons', the second time in 2017 that they came 11th as they continue to only have two top 10 hits to their name; Kluminican Republic and Ramrynia continued enviable top 20 streaks of 7 and 9 in a row, coming 12th with Glass Animals and Joey Bada$$' 'Lose Control' and 14th with Catherine McGrath's horrendous 'Talk Of This Town' respectively; Desbuanda finally managed another entry to come higher than 20th, finishing 16th with Zola Jesus' 'Exhumed', now on its own their biggest hit since silver medalist 'TV' by Eves The Behavior in BJSC 72; hosts Medhelnia came 17th with their auto-qualifier 'delirium' by CHVRN; Taahino's 26th place finish with VERIDIA's 'Still Breathing' was not anything special for them but notable for managing to finish that low somehow after actually WINNING semi-final 1, becoming Taahino's first semi-final winner and less glamorously the lowest finishing semi-final winner in BJSC history (beating the 21st place finish of Life Of Dillon's 'Overload' for Ojnoj in BJSC 74); Sandénia had their first appearance in a final for 22 contests a month after their comeback, finishing 27th with Jaira Burns' 'Burn Slow'.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 99

Final

Points awarded:
18 N DNTN // Yaeji - Last Breath
15 Kluminican Republic // Glass Animals and Joey Bada$$ - Lose Control
13 Cor Lupus // Aesthetic Perfection - LAX (Mr.Kitty Remix)

12 Skall // Mike Mareen - Love Spy
11 Beaverdonia // Touch Sensitive - Pizza Guy
10 Rolloland // Archive - Bullets
9 Desbuanda // Zola Jesus - Exhumed
8 Medhelnia // CHVRN - delirium
7 Summericia // ERA - Ameno (Remix)
6 Deandria // Solarstone and Giuseppe Ottaviani - Falcons

5 New Lexico // Confidence Man - Better Sit Down Boy
4 Dobago // Lydia Singer - Push Bang Bang (K. Warren's Ukg Mix)
3 Cumulonimbia // Roosevelt - Elliot
2 Terra Avium // Ravel Nightstar - The Drums And Bass Of Flower Bless
1 Jadakissnia // Zhanar Dugalova - Izin Korem

16th-40th:
Cowtermont // ARLE - Close To You (Icarus Edit)
Pupok // Mags Duval - Pink Cadillac
Triangledonia // Rob & Chris - Zeitmaschine (90s Mix)
Yehesi // Veronika Vesper - Suffocate
Unovia // Francesca Michielin - Vulcano
Aeroche // Motiv 8 - Rockin' For Myself (feat. Angie Brown)
South Danaelanda // Dutch Force - Deadline (Full Vocal Mix)
Azure // Thomas Stenström - Så Så Så Säg
Zanmatony // Les Rythmes Digitales - (Hey You) What's That Sound?
Niceland // Sofi Mkheyan - Hamadzayn Em
FSR Rontvia // Tom Fall - Kaamos
Taahino // VERIDIA - Still Breathing
Trifoski // Superorganism - Something For Your M.I.N.D.
Cadelicia // RABBII - All Men Must Die
Ojnoj // Jessica Jarrell - 100 Percentin
Hendinia // Burak Yeter and Ryan Riback - GO 2.0
D'yermak'er // Butter - Lifted
Fljótavík // Alex Cameron - Runnin' Outta Luck
Sandénia // Jaira Burns - Burn Slow
Harmonica // Hollyn - Alone
Altyr Muunilinst // NONONO - Masterpiece
Ultraviolenceland // Hannah Jane Lewis - Raincheck
Hushkanukia // Marlisa - Stand By You
FARC // Ida Da Silva - Throw Your Love
Ramrynia // Catherine McGrath - Talk Of This Town

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Thelonia // MC BOING - Dance Floor
10 N DNTN // Yaeji - Last Breath
8 Summericia // ERA - Ameno (Remix)

7 Beaverdonia // Touch Sensitive - Pizza Guy
6 Bøtanikkä // Red 5 - I Love You...Stop!
5 Desbuanda // Zola Jesus - Exhumed
4 Rolloland // Archive - Bullets
3 New Lexico // Confidence Man - Better Sit Down Boy
2 Terra Avium // Ravel Nightstar - The Drums And Bass Of Flower Bless
1 Pupok // Mags Duval - Pink Cadillac

11th-33rd:
Cowtermont // ARLE - Close To You (Icarus Edit)
Singerpurear // Jean-Michel Jarre and Cyndi Lauper - Swipe To The Right
République d'Ashton // Gabrielle - Nattergal
Yehesi // Veronika Vesper - Suffocate
Trifoski // Superorganism - Something For Your M.I.N.D.
Daehun // SUNMI - Gashina
St. Burbia // V. Bozeman - Race Jones
Taahino // VERIDIA - Still Breathing
Flynnonda // Tyne - Crawl
Land of DW // Dover - Let Me Out
Jukianië // Toto - 99
Suedeonia // The RPMs - I Think It's Stupid, But I Think It's Love
Avalonia // Andrew Belle - Down
Sandebörg // Kalomira - Shoot 'Em Down
Sandénia // Jaira Burns - Burn Slow
D'yermak'er // Butter - Lifted
Fljótavík // Alex Cameron - Runnin' Outta Luck
Jupiterdonia // Syn Cole - Sway (feat. Nevve)
Hushkanukia // Marlisa - Stand By You
FARC // Ida Da Silva - Throw Your Love
Quintessa // Laura Närhi - Joo Joo Äiti

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

2nd Tinnmark // Unge Ferrari - Hologram
9th Lotunia // LOBODA - Tvoi Glaza
11th Buzzjack Mountain // Rose Windross and Kele Le Roc - Givin U (What You Want)
12th Bignia-Zaragovina // In Real Life - Eyes Closed
14th Tartford // Girly - Working Girl (One Way Love Affair)
17th The Jasmine Masters Kingdom // Kaleida - 99 Luftballons
19th Bhangra // Darin - Tvillingen
22nd Séyetana // EGOIST - Eiyū Unmei No Uta
24th Ajanaeda // Healyum - Fools Eyes
25th Aelandor // Sœur - Slow Days
26th The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Frans Walfridsson - Tonight
28th Espen // Vitaa - A Fleur De Toi
30th Helgon // Eden Prince - Obvious (feat. Cassie)
33rd Kylienips // BETSY - You Won't Love Me

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #187
Group icon

"yes this still exists" super mega catchup edition [2/4]

BJSC 100

hey isn't thIs teaser a taD famiLiar...

Life Sim revived from the Persephonia archives to represent us for milestone BJSC 100

For our entry to the landmark 100th BuzzJack Song Contest in Unovia (our 79th main contest entry), Persephonia decided to bring back a track we originally confirmed back in BJSC 80 before ultimately switching our entry (first to the ill-fated 'Oh My Darling Don't Cry' by Run The Jewels then, after that got vetoed, to the eventual DNQ 'Kyoto' by Yung Lean). We blame the two year delay on licensing issues. x Finally the dispute was settled with the PC Music label and we could at last send 'IDL' by Life Sim, which was just the 2nd official commercial single release by the label back in September 2015 and later included as the tenth and final track on the label's 'PC Music Volume 2' compilation in November 2016, also home to the BJSC 91 winner 'Monopoly' by EASYFUN feat. Noonie Bao and two other BJSC finalists, Danny L Harle's 'Broken Flowers' and felicita's 'a new family'. Persephonia would normally consider a PC Music entry to be a little too uninspired due to the label's past success in the contest, part of the reason we backed out of sending 'IDL' the first time, but we let it slide due to it being a SPECIAL contest and the song seeming suitably epic.

Life Sim is a mysterious act whose exact identity has never been confirmed, the only information available being its location listed as 'NYC/LDN' on SoundCloud. However, Internet sleuths have determined that it's probably a pseudonym of PC Music manager Finn Diesel. The act has only put out a few DJ mixes and a small handful of songs, one of which ('Lightning Lipgloss Life') would go on to be repurposed as the instrumental to Charli XCX's song 'Lipgloss' (feat. CupcakKe) and is thus probably his/their most well-known song. 'IDL' was the first song released by Life Sim and it is also essentially an instrumental - it does feature a female voice repeating the letters in the title a few times, but those vocals are sparse enough that we consider it an instrumental entry, our third of the year and 11th to date. The whole song is essentially built around a short and simple sequence of bleeps and bloops which repeat for a little under 6 minutes, gradually increasing in speed and intensity (with a couple of pauses for ~drama~) until culminating in an awesome and epic finish. It has a bit of a cinematic feel to it, which is matched perfectly by the music video, linked below, which mashes up short clips from dozens of Hollywood movies.

'IDL' appeared as song 34 of 43 in semi-final 1 (with the semi-finals ballooning to unprecedented sizes as a record-smashing 87 countries participated, with several returns from long-inactive nations temporarily back for the occasion, necessitating for the first time the use of the expanded 18 point voting system in semi-finals as well as the final).

Persephonia living the Life in the BJSC 100 final

'IDL' eased through the semi-finals as we hoped (was nice to be confident for once x) giving us our 4th straight qualifier and 59th appearance in a BJSC final. That meant we finished out 2017 with 8 out of a possible 10 qualifiers, the same as we managed in 2015 and one less than in 2016. Aeroche and Cor Lupus continued to be the kings of the qualification streak with both extending their own national records as they reached a 14th final in a row each, with Trifoski still chasing them on a 13th final appearance in a row. 'IDL' was very close to being the closing track of the BJSC 100 final, drawn in slot 46 of 47 (a larger final than usual as the number of qualifiers per semi-final was increased from 20 to 23 in reaction to the larger number of entries). Would have been a fitting closer, damn. x

Sadly it wasn't a great month for our favourites in the semi-finals as despite the expanded number of qualifiers, we had more of our semi-final 1 votes DNQ than qualify. Among the casualties were three of our top four - luckily our 18 pointer made it, but our 15 (Terra Avium with Cusco's 'Orpheus And Eurydice'), 13 (Deandria with Alvia Islandia's 'Sugar Complex') and 12 (Ambienta with their debut entry 'Ptolemy' by Aphex Twin) missed out, the latter finishing a frustrating one place short. The losses continued with our 9 pointer (Summericia with Dark Sarah's 'Dance With The Dragon' (feat. JP Leppäluoto)), 7 pointer (Desbuanda with Mina's 'Make Money' (feat. Bryte)), 4 pointer (Bøtanikkä with LP's 'When We're High', a surprise loss), 2 pointer (poor brave Aesthetica with FEMM's 'Samishii Nettaigyo') and 1 pointer (returnees Numayania with Carino Cat's 'Speed Undercover') also not getting to join the final party. We also lost 7 of our top 15 from semi-final 2, including 2 that we ranked in our top 5 (2nd placed Flynnonda with Mondo Grosso's 'Labyrinth' and 4th placed Cadelicia with TEMPURA KIDZ' 'I Like It') as well as entries from Helgon (6th with Sophia Somajo's 'The Last Summer' (feat. Seinabo Sey), which would have qualified if not for a 33% deduction for non-voting), embattled Varakë (8th with Fhin's 'Quand On Arrive En Ville', which came second last in the semi-final), another returnee PRoJ (9th with Röyksopp's 'Electric Counterpoint III. Fast' (RYXP's Milde Salve)), Séyetana (14th with Yuki Hayashi's 'You Say Run') and the perpetually underrated Thelonia (15th with Lupa's 'Circus Game', a fourth straight undeserved DNQ). Think about what you did BJSC voters!!

BJSC 100 summary

- Persephonia's 2017 concluded with us getting back-to-back top 10 hits for only the second time in our history after our double 3rd place finish in BJSCs 78 and 79 with tiny deaths' 'ocean' and DANCE WITH THE DEAD's 'Waves': following the 5th place finish of LUNA's 'Butylochka' the previous contest, Life Sim's 'IDL' snuck in a 10th place finish out of 47 in BJSC 100 with an identical total of 273 points (of course a higher bar was necessary for top 5 this time) from 30 different countries, becoming our 13th top 10 hit to date in all. That made it our joint highest scoring entry of 2017 and our 2nd highest position and number of voters. This was actually a slight underperformance compared to most predictions but hey, we can't complain at another top 10 in the widest field of songs the BuzzJack Song Contest has ever seen x 'IDL' got a full 18 points from Aeroche and Cadelicia (our second maximum in a row from the former) and also ranked in the medal positions of six other countries, with 15 points from Bøtanikkä and South Danaelanda and 13 points from Flynnonda, Kluminican Republic, Terra Avium and amazingly enough the hosts Unovia (a country who rarely vote for us and even more rarely give us more than a couple of points, this being only our 3rd ever set of more than 3 points from them). 'Waves' was our last entry to be in as many as 8 countries' top 3 slots. 'IDL' came 7th out of 43 in semi-final 1 with a bloated total of 166 points, nominally our highest ever total in a semi-final well ahead of the 147 points amassed by Kids Of The Apocalypse's 'EMPIRE' in BJSC 61 but of course only because of the one-off expansion of the semi-final voting system (adjusting to the usual system would put 'IDL' at a more sensible 82 points and 9th in the semi-final). Its projected final position was 16th, thank the lord it didn't finish that low x Thanks to all countries who voted for 'IDL' and indeed for any of our entries in 2017, on our way to an 18th place finish in the end of year rankings <3

- And they did it again!! Proving that some things just never change in the BJSC, the contest's MVP nation Aeroche were crowned the winners of the 100th contest and simultaneously took over leadership of the end of year rankings right when it counts, the list having been led for half the year by Ultraviolenceland before Ramrynia supplanted them and held the title right up until this last contest of the year. If this seems familiar it's because it is an exact repeat of 2016 where Aeroche also waited until the last contest of the year to get their contractually obligated annual win and EOY #1. Indeed they continued their run of having at least one win every calendar year since their debut (they had three consecutive wins shortly after their debut in 2012 and one further win every year since then) and topped the EOY for an unbelievable 5th year in a row. We take off our collective hats to the unmatchable dominance. The latest Aeroche winner then was TR/ST's 'Capitol', which won with 395 points, in a photo finish just 9 points ahead of its closest challenger. This wasn't TR/ST's first rodeo as he was also behind Aeroche's BJSC 47 winner 'Sulk', and was just returning for the occasion with little expectation of being a repeat winner. Excluding spinoffs the only other act to win BJSC more than once was Sheelah who provided 2 winners both for FSR Rontvia, with 'Psycho' in BJSC 26 and 'The Last Time' in BJSC 31. Speaking of Aeroche matching FSR Rontvia's records, this 8th win for them also matches the record held by Rontvia - and since both countries have 5 2nd places while Aeroche have 7 3rd places to FSR Rontvia's puny 6, this means that the old superpower nation is officially replaced by the new one at the top of the BJSC medal table after they'd been the clear leaders ever since their 7th win in BJSC 35. Not losing sight of the fact Aeroche are also on a great run of success right now as well as just constantly since they joined, 'Capitol' was Aeroche's 5th top 5 hit in the space of 6 contests (4th in a row), their 27th top 5 hit to date and 33rd top 10. This paragraph is rambly enough already and I probably forgot some stuff. It surely won't be too long until we get to recap Aeroche's monstrous success here again anyway x

- Having a narrative of their own in the contest, it was arguably a bit of a downer ending for D'yermak'er who had been hoping to go out of the contest with a bang in their 50th and likely final appearance. They were one of 5 countries taking advantage of the anniversary entry rules, although you wouldn't necessarily know it as while the other 4 opted to go with massive superstar names (ok Delta Goodrem is pushing it as a massive superstar x), D'yermak'er were represented by Highasakite whose biggest claim to fame is having a top 5 hit in a previous BJSC. 'Golden Ticket' was a song D'yermak'er had attempted to send in the past but ran into the veto due to blog presence, so they held onto it for another couple of years before finally being freely allowed to send it, and while it didn't give them the fairytale ending of a first BJSC win, it did come 2nd with 386 points, the third time the country finished as runners-up (following their results with Goldroom's 'Embrace' in 59 and Oh Wonder's 'Ultralife' as recently as BJSC 94) and their 14th top 10 hit in all, as well as getting votes from 45 countries, the most in BJSC history, beating the 44 voters attracted by Salt Ashes' 'Save It' and The Naked And Famous' 'Higher', the winners of BJSC 84 and 87 for FARC and Cor Lupus respectively. Rest in pepperoni and bhangra D'yermak'er, we will miss you x

- The narratives don't stop there as, speaking of Bhangra, the country of that name finished 4th on 306 points with RÜFÜS DU SOL's 'You Were Right' providing some epic bookends as the very same country also came 4th in the very first BuzzJack Song Contest with Mike Oldfield's 'Moonlight Shadow' (it was a different time then). This marked the first time Bhangra finished in the top 10 since their comeback in BJSC 86 after an absence of 57 straight contests (a record that remains unbroken, as several countries returned from long breaks to compete in BJSC 100 but none from that long), with their last top 10 appearance being another 4th placer, Jade Ewen's 'My Man' all the way back in BJSC 19 and their last higher finish being their sole winner 'Not Ready To Make Nice' by Dixie Chicks in BJSC 3 (not a typo). That original run for Bhangra gave them 6 top 10 hits so they can now finally improve that tally to 7, with 6 of those also being top 5 hits. It was of course a much shorter gap since the last time RÜFÜS DU SOL came top 5 in a BJSC, as they came 5th just two contests earlier with 'Innerbloom' representing Kluminican Republic.

- The other 2 positions in the top 5 of BJSC 100 were taken up by N DNTN and #00274E which only feels appropriate given they were the other 2 major contemporaries of Aeroche who made their debuts during the 'hipster smoothie invasion' of 2012. N DNTN grabbed the bronze medal with Charlotte Gainsbourg's 'Deadly Valentine' on a total of 335 points, a stunning result predicted by practically no one (the song had even been predicted to not make the final at all by some). It was their 10th top 5 hit and 17th top 10 in all, but their first top 10 hit in what had been a previously relatively unsuccessful year for them. 5th place went to #00274E with Orelsan's 'Basique' on 303 points, a 13th top 5 and 16th top 10 hit to date for them, and actually a comeback entry for them as they had sat out BJSC 99 (if I recall correctly they were allowed to enter it despite not voting in the final of BJSC 98 due to extenuating circumstances, but they chose not to enter anyway).

- It wasn't only us getting bloated 'records' for semi-final points of course, as the one-off use of the 18 point voting system in semi-finals produced 11 songs that nominally beat the all-time record of 186 points set by The Naked And Famous' aforementioned 'Higher'. That includes all of the songs that made the top 5 in the final, but the two semi-final winners both finished outside the final top 5. Ultraviolenceland were the winners of semi-final 1 with a massive 244 points but ended up coming 6th in the final with Olivia Holt's 'Generous' - still a great finish to the year for them, their 6th top 10 hit to date (2nd in a row), all of which came since BJSC 90, and their third semi-final win after also winning the semi-finals with both of their final winners (EASYFUN's 'Monopoly' (feat. Noonie Bao) in BJSC 91 and Jaded's 'In The Morning' two contests later). Those 244 points were enough to make it the second highest scoring song in a semi-final ever... but even that was dwarfed by the 278 points that took Altyr Muunilinst to the win in semi-final 2 with Rhys' 'Too Good To Be True', which nonetheless ended up coming just 8th in the final - also a 2nd top 10 hit in a row, and their 24th to date. It moved them a step closer to regaining their old record for most semi-final wins, this being their 9th following *gasp* Florrie's To The End (BJSC 45), Miriam Bryant's 'Push Play' (BJSC 51), Kat Graham's 'Power' (BJSC 56), Arlissa's 'You're Not Alone' (BJSC 58), Galantis' 'You' (BJSC 63), Rae Morris' 'Cold' (feat. Fryars) (BJSC 65), LINES' 'People' (feat. Adele Kosman) (BJSC 71) and Gareth Emery and Alastor's 'Hands' (feat. London Thor) (BJSC 78). WILLA's 'Hey' would have been their 9th semi-final win in BJSC 86 if it hadn't had a 15% deduction, which would have made 'Too Good To Be True' a record-re-matching 10th semi win. Congrats to Rhys on having that nominal record for likely eternity. What a bizarrely ordinary song to have it. x

- We're still not done rambling about the top 10 as the other 2 songs there also have plenty of interesting narrative (this must be the most eventful BJSC top 10 of all time). Of all the returning fossil nations in BJSC 100, few of them had much success to write home about but the biggest success came from United States of Jack who finished 7th with Bree Runway's 'What Do I Tell My Friends?' on their first appearance since BJSC 62. That entry was itself their first since BJSC 37, and was essentially a joke entry ('Tourette Ruthie' by Ruth Ojadi, which crashed out in last place in the semi with 4 points while USoJ did not submit votes for either the semi-final or the final), so this was their first serious entry for over six years. It provided their 11th top 10 hit in total, a tally which includes 3 silver medals and 2 bronzes but no wins (which was for a while the most a country had come top 3 without winning, before Ramrynia overtook them). And to wrap up the top 10 summary, 9th place went to another country celebrating an anniversary and sadly, like D'yermak'er, also marking supposedly their last ever contest. That country is Kylienips, one of only three countries who entered every single one of the first 100 contests. Their final hurrah had to of course come from their idol Kylie Minogue, featuring on NERVO's 'The Other Boys' (also featuring Jake Shears and Nile Rodgers), which finished in 9th place to give Kylienips a 13th top 10 hit, their first since their iconic win in BJSC 75 with Meg Myers' 'Sorry'. Rest in sausages and song contest flops Kylienips, we will miss you too x

- Here's a shorter paragraph: there were a grand total of zero countries setting national best finishes in BJSC 100, only Aeroche and D'yermak'er matching their peaks and the one debuting country Ambienta who, as mentioned earlier in this post, fell just short of getting a debut qualifier.

- There were 21 countries returning from breaks of varying length for the 100th contest, but the majority of them fell short of the final (only 7 qualified). Aside from United States of Jack, there were 2 other big old names that made unexpected comebacks and did make the final. Caerfyrddia had been slumbering for one month longer than USoJ, last entering in BJSC 61, making them the country ending the longest disappearance to enter this contest. Their comeback 'Into Deep' [sic] by Jennie Abrahamson finished 22nd. Then there was Vülkyria, back again after their latest disappearance of 14 contests (not the first time they've seemingly vanished for good only to return), returning with Sylvia Erla's 'Ægisíða' which ended up... getting the wooden spoon in the final, coming 47th out of 47 (although with a solid enough 106 points, the second highest total ever for a last place finish, and the 4th time every song in the final has got at least 100 points). Well, it's better than DNQing, maybe. And unlike all the other old-timers returning, Vülkyria are actually sticking around in 2018 to hopefully see better results, hooray!

- The other returning nations to make the final were Joedonia, making another sporadic appearance to come 26th with Kim Petras' 'Hills' (feat. Baby E), Scherzland, back after a one month ban to come 33rd with Tayá's 'When Ur Sober' (feat. Yxng Bane) and finally Greenfroze who came 44th with Alaska Thunderfuck's 'Your Makeup Is Terrible' (why not) after a month in the wilderness. There'd have been one more joining those if Umiiruka had actually voted in the semi-final, but alas they didn't and the deduction cost them on their one-off return for the first time since BJSC 68. They actually did vote in the final as it happens - not the case for Helgon who for a second month in a row didn't vote in either the semi-final or the final, which also cost them a place in the final (and an actual ban for BJSC 101). Joining them in the ban corner for BJSC 101 were Ajanaeda (again), Frandoot, Mezidinia, Sandénia and What who also didn't vote in the final. Frandoot, Mezidinia and What had also been among the bumper list of returning nations who DNQed in BJSC 100, back after disappearances of 8, 1 and 18 contests respectively. In What's 'defence', they were literally only there to bump up the numbers and they never intended to vote. They were rewarded with last place in the semi-final even before the deduction. Poor brave Mezidinia were the other country getting a semi-final wooden spoon, the 5th time they'd come last in a semi-final and continuing their reputation as BJSC's most cursed nation (with only one qualifier out of 16 entries to date, we don't blame them for giving up a bit).

- To quickly shout out the other returning nations who fell short of the final, starting with another few who had been gone for well over a year: Farahtyn, another historically doomed nation (with the record for most wooden spoons in both finals (4) and semi-finals (7)), came back for another bite of the apple after a gap of 17 contests, their longest absence ever since joining in BJSC 2, and were also super close to qualifying, only missing out on a tiebreak; the seemingly loooong gone Numayania came back after 24 contests away and sadly were a way off qualifying, the former BJSC giants having majorly lost their way since BJSC 51 with just one of their 13 entries since then qualifying; PRoJ were also briefly back after 17 contests away and fell just a little short. Then there were also unsuccessful returns after shorter gaps for Aesthetica (back from a one month ban), East Rukahavian (after missing the deadline for BJSC 99), Jayrusalem (gone for 7 contests before this one, and maybe gone for good now? nocheer.gif), Kingdom of Horanius (having a third attempt at getting a first qualifier after 3 contests away), Palmyra (back again after 8 contests away following their earlier brief and surprisingly successful return of 2017), Republic of Adonia (returning after 2 months away and actually avoiding getting banned this time!!) and Varakë (back after a month out). Hope we didn't miss anyone out.

- Other noteworthy results (still a bunch, there were 87 songs after all): Kluminican Republic made it to 8 consecutive top 20 hits, coming 13th with SMiLE.dk's 'Butterfly' (which also got the joint most 18s in the contest with a surprisingly low 5); FSR Rontvia revisited their national icon Delta Goodrem again for their 100th contest anniversary entry, coming 17th with her B-Side 'Take Me Home' (basically also a nice bookend as Delta represented FSR in the very first contest with 'Believe Again' and came 'joint 17th', actually 18th by our count but still), after also sending her to the 50th contest with 'Hunters And The Wolves' which they got away with before the anniversary entry even existed as an option; the ongoing struggles of Taahino to get a top 10 hit continued with an 18th place finish for Tonight Alive's 'Temple', their 11th top 20 hit while maintaining a best position of 14th; hosts and auto-qualifiers Unovia came 20th with Ricki-Lee's 'All We Need Is Love'; Rolloland finish 23rd with the epic 'Untouchable (Parts 1 & 2)' by Anathema, nearly 12 minutes long, and matching SMiLE.dk with 5 18s; Ramrynia's top 20 streak came to an end as they couldn't last all year, finishing 24th with Mirela's 'Contigo'; Rolloland wasn't even the longest song in the final, that title going to Fljótavík who sent a near-20 minute self-curated megamix of 5 tracks from Kölsch's '1989' album entitled 'þema fyrir fljótavík' which amazingly came as high as 28th (this and Anathema push our own entry 'Hearth' by Saor down to only the third longest entry of the year, but we still morally win because both of these are technically more than one song x); République d'Ashton were the third and final country celebrating their 100th entry, and naturally sent some variant of Sugababes, namely Mutya Keisha Siobhan with leaked album track 'I'm Alright' which came 36th (similar to FSR Rontvia, Ashton also sent Sugababes to the very first contest and to the 50th contest which they got through the veto without anniversary rules at the time); it was third time lucky for Triangledonia with LarsM's 'Harvalien' which qualified after the national icon producer previously DNQed for them twice, though this song still fared poorly finishing 45th; Jukianië upset the odds to get a rare qualifier for the milestone contest but ended up 46th with Keiynan Lonsdale's 'Good Life'; finally, nods to Trifoski and Singerpurear who were also celebrating their 50th entry, the former not actually using the anniversary rules but nonetheless coming 19th with Chromeo's 'Jealous (I Ain't With It)' while the latter had the only official anniversary entry to DNQ with Pet Shop Boys' 'The Truck-Driver And His Mate'.

Full Persephonian rankings for BJSC 100

Final

Points awarded:
18 Rolloland // Anathema - Untouchable (Parts 1 & 2)
15 Jadakissnia // Francis And The Lights - See Her Out (That's Just Life)
13 #00274E // Orelsan - Basique

12 Espen // Prequell - Part XIV (feat. Rae Morris)
11 Skall // Kate Bush - Jig Of Life
10 Aeroche // TR/ST - Capitol
9 N DNTN // Charlotte Gainsbourg - Deadly Valentine
8 Taahino // Tonight Alive - Temple
7 Suedeonia // Baxter Dury - Miami (Parrot And Cocker Too Remix)
6 Caerfyrddia // Jennie Abrahamson - Into Deep

5 Fljótavík // Kölsch - þema fyrir fljótavík
4 Trifoski // Chromeo - Jealous (I Ain't With It)
3 Bhangra // RÜFÜS DU SOL - You Were Right
2 Jupiterdonia // Brooke Candy - Rubber Band Stacks
1 St. Burbia // Jarina De Marco - STFU

16th-46th:
Hendinia // Vanbot - Hold This Moment
Cor Lupus // Written By Wolves - Timebombs & Hurricanes
Joedonia // Kim Petras - Hills (feat. Baby E)
Sandebörg // Army Of Lovers - Carry My Urn To Ukraine
Kluminican Republic // SMiLE.dk - Butterfly
D'yermak'er // Highasakite - Golden Ticket
Scherzland // Tayá - When Ur Sober (feat. Yxng Bane)
Beaverdonia // BETSY - Waiting
Pupok // Cherryade - Theresa May (Bullshit)
Medhelnia // YONAKA - Bubblegum
Hushkanukia // Haschak Sisters - Pretty Girl
FARC // Frøder - Dopamine
FSR Rontvia // Delta Goodrem - Take Me Home
United States of Jack // Bree Runway - What Do I Tell My Friends?
Ojnoj // Blessed - Howlin
République d'Ashton // Mutya Keisha Siobhan - I'm Alright
Unovia // Ricki-Lee - All We Need Is Love
Vülkyria // Sylvia Erla - Ægisíða
New Lexico // RALPH - Tease
Ramrynia // Mirela - Contigo
Niceland // culpriit - Driveway
South Danaelanda // TheFatRat - The Calling (feat. Laura Brehm)
Triangledonia // LarsM - Harvalien
Kylienips // NERVO - The Other Boys (feat. Kylie Minogue, Jake Shears and Nile Rodgers)
Altyr Muunilinst // Rhys - Too Good To Be True
Dobago // LIA ROX - HOUND (Bimbo Jones Vocal Club Mix)
Ultraviolenceland // Olivia Holt - Generous
Greenfroze // Alaska Thunderfuck - Your Makeup Is Terrible
Jukianië // Keiynan Lonsdale - Good Life
Tinnmark // Tungevaag & Raaban - Coming Up (feat. Victor Crone)
Cowtermont // R3hab - Icarus

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
18 Rolloland // Anathema - Untouchable (Parts 1 & 2)
15 Terra Avium // Cusco - Orpheus And Eurydice
13 Deandria // Alvia Islandia - Sugar Complex

12 Ambienta // Aphex Twin - Ptolemy
11 Espen // Prequell - Part XIV (feat. Rae Morris)
10 Caerfyrddia // Jennie Abrahamson - Into Deep
9 Summericia // Dark Sarah - Dance With The Dragon (feat. JP Leppäluoto)
8 Fljótavík // Kölsch - þema fyrir fljótavík
7 Desbuanda // Mina - Make Money (feat. Bryte)
6 N DNTN // Charlotte Gainsbourg - Deadly Valentine

5 Trifoski // Chromeo - Jealous (I Ain't With It)
4 Bøtanikkä // LP - When We're High
3 Bhangra // RÜFÜS DU SOL - You Were Right
2 Aesthetica // FEMM - Samishii Nettaigyo
1 Numayania // Carino Cat - Speed Undercover

16th-42nd:
Cor Lupus // Written By Wolves - Timebombs & Hurricanes
Quintessa // A Flock Of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song
Buzzjack Mountain // The Alan Parsons Project - You Don't Believe
Joedonia // Kim Petras - Hills (feat. Baby E)
Beaverdonia // BETSY - Waiting
Umiiruka // Pixx - Waterslides
Jupiterdonia // Brooke Candy - Rubber Band Stacks
Hushkanukia // Haschak Sisters - Pretty Girl
FSR Rontvia // Delta Goodrem - Take Me Home
Pupok // Cherryade - Theresa May (Bullshit)
Niceland // culpriit - Driveway
What // Haken - The Endless Knot
Singerpurear // Pet Shop Boys - The Truck-Driver And His Mate
Palmyra // Phlake - IKEA episodes
Jayrusalem // Call Me Loop - Maybe I'm A Liar
Aelandor // Meadowlark - Headlights
Yehesi // OG3NE - But I Do
Kingdom of Horanius // Only The Young - Bad Influences
The Actual Republic of Bellamia // Citizen Four - My Name (Say It)
Dobago // LIA ROX - HOUND (Bimbo Jones Vocal Club Mix)
Bignia-Zaragovina // Marcus & Martinus - Make You Believe In Love
Triangledonia // LarsM - Harvalien
Ultraviolenceland // Olivia Holt - Generous
Jukianië // Keiynan Lonsdale - Good Life
Cowtermont // R3hab - Icarus

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2 DNQs

2nd Flynnonda // Mondo Grosso - Labyrinth
4th Cadelicia // TEMPURA KIDZ - I Like It
6th Helgon // Sophia Somajo - The Last Summer (feat. Seinabo Sey)
8th Varakë // Fhin - Quand On Arrive En Ville
9th PRoJ // Röyksopp - Electric Counterpoint III. Fast (RYXP's Milde Salve)

14th Séyetana // Yuki Hayashi - You Say Run
15th Thelonia // Lupa - Circus Game

16th Cumulonimbia // Lisa Lougheed - Run With Us
19th Harmonica // Daniella Mason - Cover The Earth
21st Lotunia // Eva Weel Skram - Berre La Meg Vær (Live)
23rd Land of DW // Robortom - Paganini Rocks (feat. Au Revoir Simone)
30th Mezidinia // Gaby Henshaw - High Grade
33rd East Rukahavian // Ancalima - Sunshine
34th Farahtyn // Philip Mikal - Waiting 4 (Vigilancer Remix) (feat. Ola)
35th Azure // The Summer Set - Someone Like You
37th Frandoot // Kristinia DeBarge - Pink Love
39th Ajanaeda // Jane XØ and LöKii - Let Me Down Easy
40th Republic of Adonia // f(x) - Airplane
42nd Sandénia // Emily Middlemas - Lost & Found
43rd Daehun // T-ARA - No.9

+Quote this post
Brer
Post #188
Group icon

"yes this still exists" super mega catchup edition [3/4]

The Best of BJSC X & The Best of BJSC - The Rejects X summaries

The tenth editions of the annual retrospective contests The Best of BJSC and The Best of BJSC - The Rejects took place over December and January, giving another chance for success for every entry from BJSCs 91 to 100. TBO happened first, and it was pretty good news for Persephonia with the results of the nominations stage as not only did we continue our streak of reaching the TBO semi-finals with every one of our BJSC top 10 hits with both LUNA's 'Butylochka' (BJSC 99) and Life Sim's 'IDL' (BJSC 100) progressing, we even got a surprise third semi-finalist as the right niche of people voted in the opening stage to send through Saor's 'Hearth' (BJSC 97) as well. The full results of the nominations have not materialised as of yet so we don't know how close our other five eligible songs (xi's 'Happy End Of The World' from BJSC 91, End Of The Dream's 'Colder' from BJSC 92, KNARS' 'Bad Trip' from BJSC 94, David Starfire's 'Big Chillum' from BJSC 95 and Dead Husband's 'Healthy Boy' from BJSC 98) were to qualifying.

Unfortunately it wasn't so great news in the semi-final results as all three songs failed to progress, meaning Persephonia were without representation in the TBO final for a second year in a row. Sad. They all did roughly similarly, with 'IDL' coming 26th out of 40 in semi-final 1 with 89 points, 'Hearth' coming 29th out of 40 in semi-final 1 with 84 points and 'Butylochka' coming 27th out of 40 in semi-final 2 with 83 points. Thanks to all who voted for us anyway, that's a good haul of TBO points even if nothing made the final. We'll get back to the TBO final in 2018. x

South Danaelanda were crowned the champions of the contest, as their BJSC 92 winner 'Saving Light' by Gareth Emery and Standerwick feat. HALIENE repeated its win with a total of 151 points. The demographics of TBO voters clearly don't match the original contests that well beyond that as no other winners made the final top 5 (and the biggest winner of the year, Clare Maguire's 'Elizabeth Taylor' (Mulholland Edition) didn't even make the final, although in fairness it wasn't helped by Medhelnia failing to vote in the semi-finals), while plenty of other minor hits as well as our own 'Hearth' made it to the semi-finals and a good few of them even to the final. Pupok were the runners-up on 132 points with Sam Spiegel and Ape Drums' 'Mutant Brain' (feat. Assassin), originally 4th also in BJSC 92. Terra Avium took the bronze medal with 123 points with Steven Wilson's 'Pariah' (feat. Ninet Tayeb), which was the runner-up in BJSC 97. Altyr Muunilinst failed to submit votes and were subject to a 15 point deduction, which took them down to 120 points and 4th place with Kamferdrops' 'Jag Trodde Änglarna Fanns' which would have come 2nd otherwise; it originally came 3rd in BJSC 96. The top 5 was completed by St. Burbia who have never come top 5 in a main contest to date, but managed 5th here with Alice Merton's 'No Roots', which gave them their national peak of 6th in BJSC 91.

~

As for the Rejects competition, Persephonia had 2 songs in contention in the nominations stage, and we did manage to get one of them through so we returned to having representation in the semi-finals after our only eligible entry in 2016 missed out. Achillea's 'Ragnarok - Twilight Of The Gods' (BJSC 93) was the one that made it in, while BROCKHAMPTON's 'GOLD' (BJSC 96) missed out. The latter song picked up 9 points (including a full 7 from Harmonica, merci merci) which was actually very nearly enough to qualify as well in a nominations stage with relatively low turnout and vast swathes of deductions.

But it was a repeat of the main TBO as we again went out in the semi-finals, although to be fair we definitely saw that coming and were actually pleasantly surprised at how high 'Ragnarok - Twilight Of The Gods' finished (again with a big helping hand from deductions). It came 18th out of 32 in semi-final 2 with 19 points.

Speaking of deductions, a simple 15 point deduction barely put a dent in the ultimate winner of the contest, Ultraviolenceland's entry 'Play' by Marmozets which narrowly missed out on the final of BJSC 98 and cruised to an easy victory in the Rejects with 106 points. It could even have survived double that deduction. 2nd place went to Dobago with Grace Mitchell's 'Now' from BJSC 95 with 87 points. FSR Rontvia had a pair of great results as Daithí's 'Mary Keanes Introduction' from BJSC 91 came 3rd for them with 74 points while they also came 6th with their BJSC 92 entry 'Imali' by Black Motion feat. Nokwazi (both songs getting points from us). Beaverdonia's novelty entry extraordinaire 'ACTIVEWEAR' by Skit Box came 4th with 73 points, and Jadakissnia completed the top 5 with their only DNQ of 2017, SOLDOUT's 'Do It Again' (feat. GOOSE) from BJSC 92, coming 5th with 65 points. Shoutouts as well to the TRUE BEST DNQ OF THE YEAR, 'Dance Floor' by MC BOING which would have come 3rd for Thelonia but alas a 15 point deduction did more to harm them, pushing them down to 9th.

Full Persephonian rankings and nominations for The Best of BJSC X

Final

Points awarded:
18 Kluminican Republic // Burial - Archangel
15 Rolloland // Anathema - Untouchable (Parts 1 & 2)
13 Terra Avium // Steven Wilson - Pariah (feat. Ninet Tayeb)

12 Summericia // CRIM3S - still goin
11 Hendinia // Troll - Jimmy Dean
10 Pupok // Sam Spiegel and Ape Drums - Mutant Brain (feat. Assassin)
9 Kluminican Republic // RÜFÜS DU SOL - Innerbloom
8 Aeroche // Me & My - Dub-I-Dub
7 Aeroche // TR/ST - Capitol
6 Taahino // Tonight Alive - Temple

5 Trifoski // Paradis - Toi Et Moi
4 Quintessa // Norda and Mike De Ville - Gypsy (Catch Me If You Can) (feat. Joanna Jones)
3 Kluminican Republic // Studio Killers - Jenny
2 #00274E // CupcakKe - LGBT
1 Trifoski // Lido - Not Enough (feat. THEY.)

16th-40th:
Trifoski // Drones Club - Hurricane
South Danaelanda // Gareth Emery and Standerwick - Saving Light (feat. HALIENE)
Ramrynia // Birdflipper - Come On!
FARC // Stockholm Noir - Hopeless Dreams
République d'Ashton // Tone Damli - Pinnacle
Altyr Muunilinst // Kamferdrops - Jag Trodde Änglarna Fanns
St. Burbia // Eva Simons - Guaya
Ultraviolenceland // Ana Mena - Ahora Lloras Tú (feat. CNCO)
Pupok // Mason - Fashion Killa (Papapapa) (feat. Stefflon Don)
Dobago // Sagi Abitbul - Mariko
Daehun // Helena Paparizou - Haide (English Version)
Cor Lupus // LINES - Weekends
Yehesi // MUNA - I Know A Place
Ultraviolenceland // Jaded - In The Morning
Ojnoj // Leon Else - What I Won't Do
Ultraviolenceland // EASYFUN - Monopoly (feat. Noonie Bao)
Espen // Offer Nissim - Miracle Part A (feat. Maya Simantov)
St. Burbia // Alice Merton - No Roots
République d'Ashton // Sabina Ddumba - Not Too Young
FARC // Rhys - Last Dance
Hushkanukia // Ryder - Nirvana
Hendinia // Violet Chachki - Bettie
Cadelicia // Julie Bergan - Arigato

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
18 Kluminican Republic // Burial - Archangel
15 Rolloland // Anathema - Untouchable (Parts 1 & 2)
13 Jadakissnia // MONOMOTION - Mango Bay

12 Summericia // CRIM3S - still goin
11 Hendinia // Troll - Jimmy Dean
10 Kluminican Republic // Glass Animals and Joey Bada$$ - Lose Control
9 Singerpurear // Vitalic - Waiting For The Stars (feat. David Shaw And The Beat)
8 #00274E // Pale Waves - There's A Honey
7 Quintessa // Driftmoon - Genesis (feat. DSharp)
6 Taahino // Tonight Alive - Temple

5 Trifoski // Paradis - Toi Et Moi
4 Quintessa // Norda and Mike De Ville - Gypsy (Catch Me If You Can) (feat. Joanna Jones)
3 New Lexico // Confidence Man - Better Sit Down Boy
2 Summericia // Caramell - Caramelldancing
1 Trifoski // Lido - Not Enough (feat. THEY.)

16th-38th:
Trifoski // Drones Club - Hurricane
South Danaelanda // Gareth Emery and Standerwick - Saving Light (feat. HALIENE)
FARC // Stockholm Noir - Hopeless Dreams
République d'Ashton // Tone Damli - Pinnacle
Suedeonia // Bleachers - Don't Take The Money
Séyetana // SIAMÉS - The Wolf
Jupiterdonia // INNA - Yalla
St. Burbia // Billie Eilish - bellyache
Pupok // Jennifer Rostock - Schlaflos
Altyr Muunilinst // Kamferdrops - Jag Trodde Änglarna Fanns
Kluminican Republic // SMiLE.dk - Butterfly
Pupok // Mason - Fashion Killa (Papapapa) (feat. Stefflon Don)
Cor Lupus // LINES - Weekends
Oslol // K.I.D - Taker
Altyr Muunilinst // Hannah Diamond - Make Believe
Medhelnia // MisterWives - Machine
Ultraviolenceland // Jaded - In The Morning
Tinnmark // Vigiland - Friday Night
Espen // Offer Nissim - Miracle Part A (feat. Maya Simantov)
St. Burbia // Alice Merton - No Roots
République d'Ashton // Sabina Ddumba - Not Too Young
Harmonica // Hollyn - Alone
Hushkanukia // Ryder - Nirvana

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
18 Rolloland // Steven Wilson - Routine
15 Terra Avium // Steven Wilson - Pariah (feat. Ninet Tayeb)
13 Land of DW // Eivør - Í Tokuni

12 Pupok // Sam Spiegel and Ape Drums - Mutant Brain (feat. Assassin)
11 Fljótavík // Wealstarr - Feria Festival
10 Kluminican Republic // RÜFÜS DU SOL - Innerbloom
9 Aeroche // Me & My - Dub-I-Dub
8 Aeroche // TR/ST - Capitol
7 FSR Rontvia // Kosmonova - Danse Avec Moi!
6 Ramrynia // Sirusho - PreGomesh

5 Kluminican Republic // Studio Killers - Jenny
4 #00274E // CupcakKe - LGBT
3 Aesthetica // Wonder Girls - I Feel You
2 Lotunia // Ágy - Arvedávgi
1 Ramrynia // Birdflipper - Come On!

16th-39th:
St. Burbia // Eva Simons - Guaya
Ultraviolenceland // Ana Mena - Ahora Lloras Tú (feat. CNCO)
Dobago // Sagi Abitbul - Mariko
Greenfroze // CoCo And The Butterfields - Battlegrounds
Mulgracia // Grouplove - Good Morning
FSR Rontvia // Emma Bale - Worth It
Medhelnia // Clare Maguire - Elizabeth Taylor (Mulholland Edition)
Daehun // Helena Paparizou - Haide (English Version)
Yehesi // MUNA - I Know A Place
Ojnoj // Leon Else - What I Won't Do
Ultraviolenceland // EASYFUN - Monopoly (feat. Noonie Bao)
Ojnoj // SAARA - Superpowers
Quintessa // Leah - Met Jou Klere Aan
D'yermak'er // Oh Wonder - Ultralife
FARC // Rhys - Last Dance
Oslol // Miss Li - Aqualung
Hendinia // Violet Chachki - Bettie
Cadelicia // Julie Bergan - Arigato

DNQed

~

Nominations

+7 Trifoski // Amnesia Scanner - AS Crust
+5 Summericia // CRIM3S - still goin
+3 Altyr Muunilinst // Ramin Djawadi - Light Of The Seven
+2 Jadakissnia // TEARIST - Headless
+1 Aeroche // Melé - Ambience

+7 The Jasmine Masters Kingdom // Fla.mingo - Die
+5 Hendinia // Troll - Jimmy Dean
+3 Pupok // Sam Spiegel and Ape Drums - Mutant Brain (feat. Assassin)
+2 Taahino // Sevdaliza - Human
+1 Bøtanikkä // Age Of Love - The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Watch Out For Stella Mix)

+7 Land of DW // Eivør - Í Tokuni
+5 Jadakissnia // aYia - Ruins
+3 Deandria // Fakear - Ankara
+2 FSR Rontvia // Tina Guo - Super Mario Bros.
+1 South Danaelanda // DJ Mangoo - Eurodancer

+7 Rolloland // Steven Wilson - Routine
+5 Aelandor // Port Blue - Up Ship!
+3 Singerpurear // Vitalic - Waiting For The Stars (feat. David Shaw And The Beat)
+2 Jadakissnia // BÖ - Waqqaberry
+1 Quintessa // Driftmoon - Genesis (feat. DSharp)

+7 Espen // ATB - Ecstasy (MYSTXRIVL x SOKOS FLIP)
+5 Terra Avium // felicita - a new family
+3 Aeroche // Me & My - Dub-I-Dub
+2 Jadakissnia // Hugar - Waves (feat. Arnór Dan)
+1 Pupok // Spinee - Hell Hound

+7 Kluminican Republic // Burial - Archangel
+5 St. Burbia // Tasha Tah - Malang (feat. RaOol)
+3 Deandria // world's end girlfriend - Les Enfants Du Paradis
+2 Land of DW // Paddy And The Rats - Join The Riot
+1 Varakë // Irina Rimes - Visele (Dj Dark & MD.Dj Remix)

+7 Jadakissnia // MONOMOTION - Mango Bay
+5 Terra Avium // Steven Wilson - Pariah (feat. Ninet Tayeb)
+3 Bøtanikkä // Rednex - The Spirit Of The Hawk
+2 Zanmatony // Paradisio - Bailando
+1 FSR Rontvia // Kosmonova - Danse Avec Moi!

+7 Espen // Mounika. - Long Silent
+5 Cumulonimbia // Kevin Abstract - Miserable America
+3 Fljótavík // Wealstarr - Feria Festival
+2 Kluminican Republic // RÜFÜS DU SOL - Innerbloom
+1 Land of DW // N.O.H.A. - Di Nero

+7 N DNTN // Yaeji - Last Breath
+5 Kluminican Republic // Glass Animals and Joey Bada$$ - Lose Control
+3 Cor Lupus // Aesthetic Perfection - LAX (Mr.Kitty Remix)
+2 Skall // Mike Mareen - Love Spy
+1 Rolloland // Archive - Bullets

+7 Rolloland // Anathema - Untouchable (Parts 1 & 2)
+5 Jadakissnia // Francis And The Lights - See Her Out (That's Just Life)
+3 #00274E // Orelsan - Basique
+2 Espen // Prequell - Part XIV (feat. Rae Morris)
+1 Skall // Kate Bush - Jig Of Life

Full Persephonian rankings and nominations for The Best of BJSC - The Rejects X

Final

Points awarded:
10 Zanmatony // Envio - Touched By The Sun (Rusch & Elusive's Chill-Out Mix)
8 Flynnonda // Mondo Grosso - Labyrinth

7 Dobago // Grace Mitchell - Now
6 FSR Rontvia // Black Motion - Imali (feat. Nokwazi)
5 Cadelicia // Meg - Distante
4 Ultraviolenceland // Marmozets - Play
3 FSR Rontvia // Daithí - Mary Keanes Introduction
2 Ambienta // Aphex Twin - Ptolemy
1 Rolloland // Felix Da Housecat - Silver Screen Shower Scene (Thin White Duke Mix) (feat. Miss Kittin)

11th-30th:
Terra Avium // Varien - Lilith
Jadakissnia // SOLDOUT - Do It Again (feat. GOOSE)
Singerpurear // Chicks On Speed - We Don't Play Guitars (feat. Peaches)
South Danaelanda // Vitalic - Tu Conmigo (feat. La Bien Querida)
Bøtanikkä // Red 5 - I Love You...Stop!
St. Burbia // Serayah - Look But Don't Touch
Beaverdonia // Skit Box - ACTIVEWEAR
Cadelicia // Emrah Karaduman - Cevapsız Çınlama (feat. Aleyna Tilki)
New Lexico // Glasperlenspiel - Geiles Leben
Quintessa // Woolf And The Wondershow - Cages
Summericia // VNV Nation - Illusion
Unovia // Manelyk - Odiosa
Pupok // Bip Ling - Curry
Aesthetica // Poppy - I'm Poppy
Terra Avium // Alev Lenz - Fall Into Me
République d'Ashton // Molly Sandén - Rygg Mot Rygg
Hushkanukia // Laura Tesoro - Higher

~

Semi-Final 1

Points awarded:
12 Skall // Martyn Bennett - Blackbird
10 The Jasmine Masters Kingdom // The Blaze - Territory
8 Cadelicia // Meg - Distante

7 Ultraviolenceland // Marmozets - Play
6 Buzzjack Mountain // Lee Mills - From My Lerv
5 Jadakissnia // SOLDOUT - Do It Again (feat. GOOSE)
4 Singerpurear // Chicks On Speed - We Don't Play Guitars (feat. Peaches)
3 Summericia // Prince Rama - Fantasy
2 Séyetana // Girls Dead Monster - Ichiban No Takaramono (Yui Final Version)
1 St. Burbia // Serayah - Look But Don't Touch

11th-32nd:
Beaverdonia // Skit Box - ACTIVEWEAR
New Lexico // Glasperlenspiel - Geiles Leben
Summericia // Dark Sarah - Dance With The Dragon (feat. JP Leppäluoto)
Niceland // Project Jenny, Project Jan - Train Track
Quintessa // Woolf And The Wondershow - Cages
Terra Avium // Conner Youngblood - The Warpath
Harmonica // Daniella Mason - Cover The Earth
Unovia // Manelyk - Odiosa
Quintessa // White Lung - Below
Pupok // Bip Ling - Curry
Aesthetica // Poppy - I'm Poppy
Kylienips // Zolita - Fight Like A Girl
Bignia-Zaragovina // Handsome Poets - Sky On Fire
Taahino // VUKOVI - Weirdo
Singerpurear // Grace Slick - Dreams
République d'Ashton // Molly Sandén - Rygg Mot Rygg
Harmonica // Moment - All This Time
Aelandor // Sœur - Slow Days
Azure // The Summer Set - Someone Like You
Hushkanukia // Laura Tesoro - Higher

DNQed

~

Semi-Final 2

Points awarded:
10 Zanmatony // Envio - Touched By The Sun (Rusch & Elusive's Chill-Out Mix)
8 Flynnonda // Mondo Grosso - Labyrinth

7 Dobago // Grace Mitchell - Now
6 Pagasa // The Blue Nile - The Downtown Lights
5 FSR Rontvia // Black Motion - Imali (feat. Nokwazi)
4 Ambienta // Aphex Twin - Ptolemy
3 FSR Rontvia // Daithí - Mary Keanes Introduction
2 Rolloland // Felix Da Housecat - Silver Screen Shower Scene (Thin White Duke Mix) (feat. Miss Kittin)
1 Terra Avium // Varien - Lilith

11th-31st:
Dobago // Will Sparks - Flamenco
South Danaelanda // Vitalic - Tu Conmigo (feat. La Bien Querida)
Bøtanikkä // Red 5 - I Love You...Stop!
D'yermak'er // Balvir Boparai - De De Gerra
Thelonia // Bonzai - I Feel Alright
Cadelicia // Emrah Karaduman - Cevapsız Çınlama (feat. Aleyna Tilki)
Thelonia // Antony & Cleopatra - Dust
Buzzjack Mountain // Slam Dunk'd - No Price (feat. Chromeo and Al-P)
Kylienips // Methyl Ethel - Ubu
Summericia // VNV Nation - Illusion
#00274E // ONUKA - Other (Live) (feat. NAONI Orchestra)
Espen // josh pan - give it to ya (feat. ABRA)
Land of DW // Apocalyptica - Faraway Vol. 2 (feat. Linda Sundblad and Dave Lombardo)
Land of DW // Dover - Let Me Out
Tartford // Lisa - Rocket To Your Heart
Terra Avium // Alev Lenz - Fall Into Me
République d'Ashton // Tessa Violet - Sorry I'm Not Sorry
Desbuanda // Charlotte OC - Medicine Man
Helgon // Eden Prince - Obvious (feat. Cassie)
Triangledonia // Lynz Munich - We Are Balloons

DNQed

~

Nominations

+7 FSR Rontvia // Daithí - Mary Keanes Introduction
+5 Dobago // Will Sparks - Flamenco
+3 Kylienips // Echos - Fiction
+2 Singerpurear // Chicks On Speed - We Don't Play Guitars (feat. Peaches)
+1 Ojnoj // TINY-G - MINIMANIMO

+7 Skall // Martyn Bennett - Blackbird
+5 FSR Rontvia // Black Motion - Imali (feat. Nokwazi)
+3 Jadakissnia // SOLDOUT - Do It Again (feat. GOOSE)
+2 Cadelicia // HI LIFE - When I Get To The Club (Donatachi's Del Mar Mix)
+1 Summericia // Prince Rama - Fantasy

+7 Skall // Musta Barbaari - Salil Eka Salil Vika
+5 Séyetana // Fear, And Loathing In Las Vegas - Let Me Hear
+3 The Jasmine Masters Kingdom // CVL† SH‡† - ßƟD¥ ßΔGƵ
+2 D'yermak'er // Balvir Boparai - De De Gerra
+1 Tartford // Hyper Go-Go - High

+7 Pagasa // The Blue Nile - The Downtown Lights
+5 Terra Avium // Varien - Lilith
+3 Ajanaeda // Hundred Waters - Xtalk
+2 Skall // Kjartan Lauritzen - Fredag
+1 St. Burbia // Serayah - Look But Don't Touch

+7 Dobago // Grace Mitchell - Now
+5 The Jasmine Masters Kingdom // The Blaze - Territory
+3 Bignia-Zaragovina // Hkeem and Temur - Fy Faen
+2 Niceland // Torul - Monday
+1 Beaverdonia // Skit Box - ACTIVEWEAR

+7 Zanmatony // Envio - Touched By The Sun (Rusch & Elusive's Chill-Out Mix)
+5 Desbuanda // Rone - Bye Bye Macadam
+3 East Rukahavian // The Orielles - Sugar Tastes Like Salt
+2 D'yermak'er // HËXĖ - Words
+1 Quintessa // Alisha Chinai - Zooby Zooby

+7 Cumulonimbia // Indian Wells - Cascades
+5 Cadelicia // Meg - Distante
+3 Thelonia // Bonzai - I Feel Alright
+2 Buzzjack Mountain // Lee Mills - From My Lerv
+1 Deandria // A_GIM - Rajka (feat. Klark)

+7 Ultraviolenceland // Marmozets - Play
+5 Rolloland // Felix Da Housecat - Silver Screen Shower Scene (Thin White Duke Mix) (feat. Miss Kittin)
+3 South Danaelanda // Vitalic - Tu Conmigo (feat. La Bien Querida)
+2 Tartford // Marsheaux - Get The Balance Right
+1 Aesthetica // Yezi - Anck Su Namum

+7 Thelonia // MC BOING - Dance Floor
+5 Tinnmark // Unge Ferrari - Hologram
+3 Bøtanikkä // Red 5 - I Love You...Stop!
+2 Lotunia // LOBODA - Tvoi Glaza
+1 Buzzjack Mountain // Rose Windross and Kele Le Roc - Givin U (What You Want)

+7 Flynnonda // Mondo Grosso - Labyrinth
+5 Terra Avium // Cusco - Orpheus And Eurydice
+3 Deandria // Alvia Islandia - Sugar Complex
+2 Cadelicia // TEMPURA KIDZ - I Like It
+1 Ambienta // Aphex Twin - Ptolemy

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th January 2018, 12:21 AM
Post #189
Group icon

"yes this still exists" super mega catchup edition [4/4]

QUOTE(Capybréra @ Aug 1 2017, 04:11 AM) *
Never letting myself get 4 contests out of date in this thread again mellow.gif x

Well this worked out well kink.gif I need to focus a little bit on not failing exams at the moment so those catchup updates are a bit bare bones but I will update them for anyone who likes reading my rambles (and for my own satisfaction of having a complete thread x) later on in the month. I will have a 2017 EOY feature coming up then as well. Hooray ~
EDIT: All blanks are now filled in, woo.

Anyway, 2018 has kicked off with THREE brand new contests starting within a couple of weeks of each other, our entry for one of them is revealed already but 2 are currently still mysteries. Triple teaser time!

BJSC Andra Chansen

I cannot bear to leave you

~

BJSC Worldvision III

For the third edition of the always interesting Worldvision spinoff, Persephonia has been tasked with finding a song from Austria. We've found a pretty bonkers genre-bending instrumental that we hope will take the listeners "back to the future" (where the future is Persephonia landing a third straight top 10 in Worldvision xx). cool.gif

~

BJSC 101

I do not care about you being triggered

Persephonia give a second chance to Halls

The first BJSC event of the year has begun, with République d'Ashton hosting BJSC Andra Chansen, a contest held to celebrate the main contest reaching its 100th edition at the end of last year. It's one of those contests that's technically neither a main contest nor a spinoff (similar to the BuzzJack 10th Anniversary contest) but for the purposes of this thread we'll count it as the first spinoff of the year. This contest gave participants the chance to resurrect an old underappreciated BJSC entry (one which DNQed or did not finish in the top half of its original final, and didn't appear in either TBO or Rejects) to give it a 'second chance'.

Persephonia has taken the opportunity to bring back a forgotten song from the glorious 'hipster smoothie takeover' era, around late 2012 (when the likes of Aeroche and N DNTN had just joined the contest). Originally appearing in BJSC 47, when it finished 18th out of 30 in the final for Fljótavík, the song we selected was 'White Chalk' by London producer and singer Sam Howard better known as Halls. 'White Chalk' was the first song released from Halls' October 2012 debut album 'Ark', and it's possibly one of the most leftfield entries in BJSC history, with more than a passing resemblance to the music of James Blake (himself a two-time representative of Persephonia in BJFestivalen, this was the closest we could come to sending him a third time x). It features very sparse instrumentation, with the first part of the track only having a piano as backing and some parts of the track being entirely a cappella, either totally silent or with some utterly gorgeous choral vocals. We hope we can introduce this beauty to a few new people who weren't around for it the first time. Here's the video for 'White Chalk', which is rather minimalist much like the song itself:

'White Chalk' appears as song 23 of 32 in the contest. Sadly there were no takers in the contest for any of our multitude of flops begging for another chance. Bah humbug. x

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 16th January 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #190
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Bré! ohmy.gif wub.gif

I still really like White Chalk, would be great if it found a few fans because of this. Thank you for choosing it happy.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 17th January 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #191
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Thank you very much for introducing 'White Chalk' into my life! I can see why it wasn't a smash first time round as it's ever so left-field but I hope it will fare decently this time round. Or at least have a bunch of big fans anyway! That build-up is seriously beautiful heart.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 17th January 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #192
Group icon

QUOTE(dandy* @ Jan 16 2018, 08:23 PM) *
Bré! ohmy.gif wub.gif

I still really like White Chalk, would be great if it found a few fans because of this. Thank you for choosing it happy.gif

I'm glad you noticed!! I really wish I had given it my full 12 at the time (it got my 10, beaten by 'Phone Sex' which is still a great song and all but an uninspired 12 in retrospect).

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 17 2018, 11:17 PM) *
Thank you very much for introducing 'White Chalk' into my life! I can see why it wasn't a smash first time round as it's ever so left-field but I hope it will fare decently this time round. Or at least have a bunch of big fans anyway! That build-up is seriously beautiful heart.gif

You were of course one of the people I had in mind to be a new fan of this song magic.gif x

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th January 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #193
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Don't knock yourself out making the updates (though ignore me if you're fine with them) ! I do enjoy reading them but if you get too far behind you might struggle catching up. Besides they weren't particularly important contests anyway x

White Chalk passed me by a bit at the time, I'm not the biggest fan of it still but this time round I am seeing its appeal - that's what five years of exposure to indie music does you.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 22nd January 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #194
Group icon

QUOTE(Iz @ Jan 18 2018, 09:37 PM) *
Don't knock yourself out making the updates (though ignore me if you're fine with them) ! I do enjoy reading them but if you get too far behind you might struggle catching up. Besides they weren't particularly important contests anyway x

I just don't like to have gaps in my thread (and I do enjoy writing these things anyway x), New Year's resolution to keep up with posts in here better xx

Speaking of which magic.gif

Persephonian News Bulletin ~ 22/01/2018

IC3PEAK hope to scale the rankings in BJSC 101

Last night the first main contest of 2018 began, with the year of BJSC starting as it did last year in the safe hands of regular hosts Aeroche following their win in the landmark hundredth contest. Persephonia's BJSC 101 entry, our 80th main contest entry, is provided by Moscow duo IC3PEAK. 'Grustnaya Suka' ('Грустная Сука' if you insist on the Cyrillic spelling), translating to 'Sad Bitch', is the single taken from their third and most recent studio album 'Sladkaya Zhizn'' ('Сладкая Жизнь', translating to 'Sweet Life') which dropped in November 2017, leaving us having to wait a couple of months to finally unleash it on the BuzzJack masses. But the wait is over! (and it turned out we blocked Terra Avium who had also been holding onto the same song, oops).

IC3PEAK are the first Russian act we've sent to the contest, although this is our second Russian language song (of course only 2 contests after LUNA's 'Butylochka') - meaning Russian joins English and Arabic in the elite list of languages to have 2 or more Persephonian BJSC entries entirely sung in them - and our 11th entirely foreign language entry to date. IC3PEAK describe themselves on their social media pages as 'audiovisual terrorists' which is a pretty apt description (your mileage may vary on whether that's a good thing or not). They've previously been associated with the witch house scene, although 'Grustnaya Suka' is more of an alternative hip-hop / industrial electronic track, featuring heavy distortion and aggressive delivery reminiscent in parts of XXXTENTACION (if he were a Russian woman who sounded a bit like Die Antwoord's Yo-Landi Vi$$er). This isn't gonna be a song for everyone. x Check out the straight up demonic music video below:

'Grustnaya Suka' has been drawn as song 16 of a ~cosy~ by recent standards 28 in semi-final 2.

(as a bit of an extra ultra geeky note, IC3PEAK is the first artist we've sent to BJSC whose name begins with the letter 'I', taking us a step closer to a full A-Z of Persephonian artists *.* we've already got some of the hardest ones courtesy of Quirke, xi and Zhang Le, weirdly 'N' is one of the last couple of letters we've avoided, only that and 'U' to go now magic.gif)

Flux Capacitor represents us in Worldvision III

Just before the start of the BJSC 101 semis, on the same night, the songs were also revealed for Worldvision III in Taahino, 2018's first "official" BJSC spinoff. As previously posted, Persephonia were this time given Austria, a seemingly slightly easier draw than Thailand and Malta which we got in the first two Worldvisions, but we still have a lot to live up to as both of those previous entries finished in the top 10. Can we make it 3 in a row?

Our entry this time is 'Argo' by Flux Capacitor, an elusive act about whom little information is available, apart from the fact it's a guy called Lukas from Vienna and he uploaded a few songs to SoundCloud many years ago before disappearing. And he would have forever been undiscovered by BuzzJack if not for the fact he was the first result when searching the word 'Austrian' on Reddit's /r/listentothis. We think it's a gem of a find though. The genre tag on SoundCloud just about sums it up: "neoclassical metalectro" *.* The 6-ish minute instrumental, dating from September 2011, is constantly genre-bending, from harpsichord-led classical sections to big Skrillex style bass drops to electric guitar shredding. Wherever you are now Lukas, we thank you for this glorious piece of music x

'Argo' appears as song 39 of 40 in the spinoff.

+Quote this post
m
post 22nd January 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #195
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

If songs could kill, I'd be dead tbh. mellow.gif x Currently listening through the semi and I'm on yours atm, I have no idea what to think right now. I may need a few more listens cos I've no idea if I like it or not. I've stumbled upon a different IC3PEAK song at some point, can't remember what it was called though... I did quite like that one haha.

I mean I don't scare easily when it comes to songs, or at least I usually enjoy the scare, but this is just doing straaange things to me omg.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 22nd January 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #196
Group icon

laugh.gif oops xx It is scary in a good way I promise!!1 ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd January 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #197
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Miss Lillian T. Chombo!!

This is Lady Beaverdam Faff, here arrived in NPC (although why your capital is named after also-ran non-playable characters, I do not know) with full plenipotentiary powers! Here to discuss Persephonia being commissioned to draft a new national anthem, Nappy Weaves, for Beaverdonia? The last Nappy Weaves was lost in lots of shoutbox data!

The lyrics were something like,

Screech!
Nappy Weaves!
We snatch you back!

Or something like that.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 23rd January 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #198
Group icon

Omg I will tbh x (although nothing will live up to the original, if only I saved it :'()

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd January 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #199
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Oh my, thanks!!!

Yah, that one is lost to thousands of Shoutbox pages, so a new one it is!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 27th January 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #200
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

When I first heard your entry this month I was thinking my word pray for my ears but I've really warmed to it on repeat listens! And like you mentioned it most certainly stands out in the Semi so fingers crossed this progresses!

+Quote this post

17 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:43 AM