BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Confusion over midweek missing data, Seems like it was over a beautiful thing on 13th June to Get #3
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
torbaybrenton
post Jun 18 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,638
   No Gallery Pics

Not Sure, If the Update is controlled by Sales only, than adding sales with audio streams together like Friday weeks charts, but im missing something here, Drake went down to #4 with one dance (feat Kyla & Wizkid) as roughly about 23K Copies On Monday with huge #1 Streams, which i Cant explain that either , so as Stone Roses should sell more than Drake on update as #3, and overall week it would sell way pass 23K (More like 30K Overall) but it dipped to 22K with the week final score to get #21 and drake stayed at #1.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulM1983
post Jun 18 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,471
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(torbaybrenton @ Jun 18 2016, 04:21 PM) *
Not Sure, If the Update is controlled by Sales only, than adding sales with audio streams together like Friday weeks charts, but im missing something here, Drake went down to #4 with one dance (feat Kyla & Wizkid) as roughly about 23K Copies On Monday with huge #1 Streams, which i Cant explain that either , so as Stone Roses should sell more than Drake on update as #3, and overall week it would sell way pass 23K (More like 30K Overall) but it dipped to 22K with the week final score to get #21 and drake stayed at #1.

Not too sure where you're getting those numbers from. Drake and Stone Roses were on around 16k on Monday's update, but that didn't include Saturday and Sunday streaming figures, which obviously accounts for a few thousand sales for Drake.

On the next update Stone Roses had dipped to number 9 but no sales were given. They were obviously very frontloaded though, and only sold another 6k for the rest of the week, which makes sense if you look at how rapidly it dropped on iTunes.

This post has been edited by PaulM1983: Jun 18 2016, 03:40 PM

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 18 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #3
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Yeah there was a large chunk of streaming missing on Monday's update, plus the fact it was extremely frontloaded, meaning it ended up at #21. Typically, only a day of streams is missing from each midweek update, but they are otherwise included.

+Quote Post
torbaybrenton
post Jun 18 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #4
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Guys thanks for the help, Does that mean that the update only allows Sales only than streams, Drake worked out 15K On Streams Alone on Friday - Sunday, plus sales in the top 10 of drake that be more than 16K, it be like 23K+, but dont explain why Stone roses was that lower. it should of been only #7 on update. unless only on sales then fair enough it done #3.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 18 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Streams are included in the update! Sometimes data is missing, but at least some data is present so it won't just be sales only happy.gif Monday's update last week included iTunes data for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but only Friday's Spotify data, so it only had 1/3rd of the correct stream data, if that makes sense!

+Quote Post
torbaybrenton
post Jun 18 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #6
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Looking by the I Tunes Charts and Accuracy From over 98% Source from I Tunes, From Friday to Sunday it shows it matches up for the Single Chart update For Monday. So that would be correct for Download or Physical Copies, it seems like however the Streaming points isn't fully added until Friday is that Correct.

+Quote Post
torbaybrenton
post Jun 18 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #7
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks ! I Get It Now, So does that mean all the data from Friday to Thursday on streaming Count that why there is a massive difference from update to the real charts for Friday.

This post has been edited by torbaybrenton: Jun 18 2016, 04:32 PM

+Quote Post
torbaybrenton
post Jun 18 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #8
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Chart Mod has just helped me a bit on this matter. So Some Streams has Included. only Friday only it seems

+Quote Post
torbaybrenton
post Jun 18 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #9
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

I have only found out the reasons why Chart Update is so different to the actually Friday is, as it based on Sales + Friday Streams only so i understand it doesn't count for Saturday or Sunday Night Streams maybe cause of working hours, so then it makes a lot of shifting on Friday final chart as Streams count for "Fri - Thurs"

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 18 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #10

I've merged these threads if that's OK cause they all seem to cover a smiliar topic! heehee.gif

The midweeks normally lack the previous day's Spotify data. So the Monday midweeks normally lack Sunday's data. The Tuesday midweeks normally lack Monday's data, etc. Sometimes, as was the case last week, a bit more data is missing, but that's only rare heehee.gif Spotify are just bad at reporting data on time it would appear!

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 18 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(torbaybrenton @ Jun 18 2016, 05:24 PM) *
Thanks ! I Get It Now, So does that mean all the data from Friday to Thursday on streaming Count that why there is a massive difference from update to the real charts for Friday.

Thursday's streaming data is often missing from the Official Chart data. When that happens the OCC estimate what the figures would be in order to compile the final chart. Nobody has been able to explain why the streaming companies cannot provide the data on time.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jun 18 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #12
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 18 2016, 05:45 PM) *
Thursday's streaming data is often missing from the Official Chart data. When that happens the OCC estimate what the figures would be in order to compile the final chart. Nobody has been able to explain why the streaming companies cannot provide the data on time.

Maybe Drake had something to do with it for the past 10 weeks wink.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 18 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #13
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

If this really cannot be resolved, why not run the chart Thursday to Wednesday midnight and broadcast the fully accurate chart on the Friday?

The added bonus is that held back releases are denied and penalised for 1 missing day of sales. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 18 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #14

9 times out of 10 it won't make a huge difference anyway so there wouldn't be much point I'd say, it's just occasionally like Mariah likely being denied top 10 due to Christmas Eve streams missing last year when a difference is actually made.

+Quote Post
torbaybrenton
post Jun 18 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #15
New Entry
   No Gallery Pics

Thank You so much for the help guys and now i know, so i kinda knew that something was not right, i love the charts im so passionate about it, i always look at the Top 100 Charts and interval charts, Digital, Sales, Record Store on the official charts company pages

+Quote Post
paulgilb
post Jun 18 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 55
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jun 18 2016, 05:45 PM) *

There was a post on UKMix a couple of weeks ago suggesting that Justin Timberlake would have been #1 a couple of weeks ago if the correct streaming data had been included.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jun 18 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(paulgilb @ Jun 18 2016, 11:31 PM) *
There was a post on UKMix a couple of weeks ago suggesting that Justin Timberlake would have been #1 a couple of weeks ago if the correct streaming data had been included.

Unlikely, the gap has always been too big (at least ~6k) and Drake has always been ahead of JT on Spotify!

+Quote Post
Graham A
post Jun 20 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,299
   No Gallery Pics

James Masterton noted how regular missing data is these days. He said in the past chart insiders would get a list of those that failed to provide the data for the week on a separate sheet. He says now the OCC have stopped the practice. Though they might supply information to the big players in the Record Industry.
I understand it's the Thursday part of the chart that seems to be the main problem. Some acts like the Stone Roses have been bringing out records before the Friday date. Thus if data is missing on Thursday the data cannot be estimated, because you can set up a computer program to fill in blanks when you have no data for the sales pattern.
One way around this would be to allow missing data to be added the following week. But the chart companies never seem to have used that. Possibly because it could be used as way to hype a certain record. But of course the sales of the previous week really should be in the previous week, not in the current week. Instead the charts seem to have been revised. And missing data that has been found added to the chart. This practice has been found on the OCC website, where charts don't match those published at the time. Both singles and album charts.
It's ironic that despite the latest technology the chart companies still have problems with data suppliers not getting data in on time. Though in the past it was caused by the Post Office not delivering on time. But also the shops not sending out the data in time.
It just goes to prove that despite instant data transfer technology, a commercial company can screw the system up!

+Quote Post
richie
post Jun 21 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #19
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think the Stone Roses would give a toss about where the record entered the chart though? I don't think it'd lead to any more exposure. The album chart would be slightly more important perhaps.

+Quote Post
Graham A
post Jun 21 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,299
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(richie @ Jun 21 2016, 09:48 AM) *
I don't think the Stone Roses would give a toss about where the record entered the chart though? I don't think it'd lead to any more exposure. The album chart would be slightly more important perhaps.

Many acts don't care about chart positions anyway and since streaming came along, they have little to care about anyway, because the singles chart doesn't relate to how much money they make. You could sell a million with streams and still get a check for less than a year's subscription to Spotify.

Record companies are always interested in the chart positions. Because they still make money out of them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:08 AM