BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Bachelor franchise (USA), I know it's been going on forever but it deserves its own thread
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Codester X
post Feb 12 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #21
all i wanna do is just stay home and eat chips
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

okay who the hell is gonna start all the drama now that Demiís gone? Caelynn? One of the Hannahís? Cassie?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
N-S
post Sunday, 06:34 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 816
   No Gallery Pics

I'm new to the Bachelor world since the show never aired in my country, let alone had a national adaptation, but I came across this video on my YT recomendations about how to predict the Bachelor/ette winner on week one and I got interested in it. Not only I'm following the current Bachelor season but I've also have been searching and viewing as much of the previous seasons. What it attracted to me was not the heartstrings nor the drama, but rather how the production and the editing build up a narrative. When each season premieres, the producers know the outcome (who won, who caused most drama, who had a meltdown) and will then procede to create a story to engage the public, craft the drama to grab viewers and divide the contestants into frontrunners, villains, maybes/just friends and irrelevants.

For instance, you can see pretty much who will be the frontrunners on week one: they'll have nice music playing when they appear, a good job/background, the lead looks really impressed and will engage on the flirt and the editing will feature them on the right measure - enough to stand them out and make the public root for them but without turning them into obvious choices. Of course there have been exceptions (Courtney Robertson being the prime example) but they're few and far between. Usually if you come out in a crazy custom and there is funny music playing when you show up from the limo or have your first talk with the lead, you're not going far.

Here are some conclusions I've came up to:

- Bachelorette seasons have been better than the Bachelor seasons:
a) Bachelorettes have better track records: 3 of them are still married to their picks (Trista, Ashley, Desiree), 3 of them are still engaged to their picks (JoJo, Rachel, Becca). Plus Kaitlyn and Shawn's three years together is a lot in reality TV years. And I believe that Trista and Ryan's success story in the very first Bachelorette seasons was crucial to the franchise's longevity. Sean Lowe remains the only Bachelor who married his final pick and now there are more Bachelors who ended up marrying their runners-up. (Jason, Arie)
b) Bachelorettes don't backlash as much Bachelors when they become leads: sure Kaitlyn was slutshamed, Rachel got a lot of slack for not choosing Peter and several Bachelorettes ended up in a less favourable light than the ones they had in their Bachelor's seasons. But the male leads have backlashed harder: Jason Mesnick, Jake Pavelka and the two Bens were big fan favourites in their Bachelorette stints (even Juan Pablo was well-regarded!) but then ended up being hated/huge letdowns. There were no efforts to tone down Nick Viall's stamp as the $l*t Bachelor. Colton may be one of the rare Bachelors that may end up being better regarded than they were at the start.
c) The testosterone filled male fights on the Bachelorette are more entertaining than the catty drama of the Bachelor, IMO.
d) Bachelorettes don't screw up the final 2 etiquette: Jen Scheft is the only one who kind of did, whereas several bachelors either didn't propose to anyone or tossed their decision right away.
e) Even though their judgements may sometimes be clouded by lust, the Bachelorettes don't think with their crotch, at least when it matters the most. But there have been some Bachelors who clearly were thinking with two heads when they choose the final winner (Brad/Emily, Ben/Courtney, Ben/Lauren, Nick/Vanessa). Even Ali Fedotowsky, who admitted that she chose Roberto mostly out of lust, was not so obvious about it.

- Don't be a white knight
In every season of the franchise, there's always someone who headbutts with the villain(s) and warns the lead about them. It's a kiss of death as more often than not, even if they're totally right and well-intentioned about it, it will be taken as a sign that you're more dedicated to confront others than in the lead themselves and you won't get far. The frontrunners usually stay outside of the drama or are just involved on it in the final stretch. Examples are way too many.

- Sean Lowe is the unicorn Bachelor.
His season was truly unique, not only because he's the only one to date to ever getting married to the girl he chose on the show, but because he avoided all the curveballs. He was a nice guy without being boring, very attractive without being conceited, religious but still quite open-minded and not at preachy about it. Even his flaws, like being too gullible to Tierra's victim card plays, were entertaining. And I loved how he trolled the rules on week one and gave away 12 first impression roses. And since one of them went to Catherine, he's also the only Bachelor to give a first impression rose to his final pick (as opposed to six Bachelorettes, including the four last ones).
Likewise Catherine was an amazing contestant, sure of herself, drama-free, beautiful yet relatable and geeky, and I loved how the producers built their slowly but surely growing love story in the show. Easily my favorite season of the franchise.
Moreover, this season spawned another success story with Desiree being the following Bachelorette and then marrying Chris.

- The show plays us with ones who got away
Sometimes, especially on the Bachelorette seasons, the producers seem keen on picking this one contestant and portraying him in such an amazing light, that it seems they are the natural favourite and when the lead breaks up with them, it leaves the feeling that they are settling for second best. Sometimes, this trope is used mostly in order not to make the winner so obvious. The prime example of this was Peter on Rachel's season who was shown as having the deepest connection with Rachel, whereas Brian was being edited as a shallow Latin lover who was wooing her out of lust. Of course, time proved that the story was other IRL. Other cases are Brooks Forrester, Luke Pell and in a way, Becca Kuffrin.

- We all know the premise of the show is daft, but it still works.
Of course, it's super ludicrious to go on a show with the real expectation of finding true love on a TV show, where you compete with several other people, travel to exotic locations and end up getting engaged. (And let's not even talk about the crazypants ideas that the producers come up with for the dates!) And nowadays, you can hardly be blamed for wanting to go to the show to pursue goals other than "the right reasons". But even so, even if we know that most of this engagements will fall apart, sometimes even before the season finale is aired, it's still a compelling watch.
Plus there are a few success stories (10 at the moment, including Bachelor In Paradise) and we can take seven Jakes/Viennas or Bens/Courtneys, if we get one more Trista/Ryan or Sean/Catherine.

As for the current Colton Underwood season, I'm finding her very entertaining pretty much the best since Sean Lowe's. Not so much because of Colton (sometimes even in spite of Colton) but due to the overall package and good casting (Demi is iconic, Cassie and Hannah G. are endlessly swoonable, Caelynn's story was touching and the show dealt with it perfectly and Hannah Alabama is hilarious). And of course the latest male lead seasons have been letdowns (Juan Pablo is trash, Ben H was vanilla, Corinne pretty much made Nick's season, Chris's season was okay-ish and Arie was boring, then tainted by Lauren-gate). I will talk more in detail about my thoughts on the current season after the finale.

This post has been edited by N-S: Sunday, 06:47 PM

+Quote Post
Codester X
post Sunday, 07:28 PM
Post #23
   No Gallery Pics

Iíd say we had several contenders this season who qualify as the white knights: Courtney, Tracy, Onyeka, Nicole, Hannah B. to an extent

The other thing that Iíve been taking into account now with predictions is whether or not the edits make them seem like Bachelor In Paradise fodder. Like with Rachelís season, I didnít envision Peter going to Paradise but, did with the likes of Dean/Eric/Diggy. Itís those who have had significant plots revolves around them in the earlier stages yet make it to hometowns bc drama purposes. I drifted towards Cassie as my winner pick because my previous one (Hannah B.) seemed to have more drama revolved around her, which makes her and Caelynn prime choices for Paradise.

I remember last Monday after the episode when I was checking social media. Pretty much everyone is expecting Demi to rule Paradise. Time will tell if thatís true.

+Quote Post
Codester X
post Tuesday, 10:03 PM
Post #24
   No Gallery Pics

THE BACHELOR SEASON 23 EPISODE 7: THE NITTY GRITTY

SO MUCH DRAMA LAST WEEK. We still have a whole month left! How will the chaos affect Colton and the girls, and will there be a fence jump at last?

-

They’re heading back to Denver, which means it’s cold climate date time! A lot of the girls feel somewhat safe, but the departures of Sydney and Katie have brewed some concerns, and none of them don’t really know where Colton’s head is at.

Next week is hometowns. GEEZ. Ben Higgins comes by to give Colton some advice. Not necessarily the best person considering how many Bachelor spin-offs he’s been in. :’)

Colton then announces at a park with his dog that there are roses on every single date and that the current date is starting right now.

One-On-One #1: Tayshia

None of the girls seem too happy about that. Maybe it’s just the competition talking.

This entire date is a trip around Downtown Denver with his dog. Honestly I’m more into Viper than I am with the couple, especially during the ice cream session.

The two of them get Shirley Temples at a local restaurant and Colton vents to Tayshia about his problems. Sydney, Demi and Katie have warned him about people who aren’t ready, and goes straight to Tayshia for some answers. She recalls that there were some girls who don’t seem genuine - namely Cassie and Caelynn, who she thinks are already talking about the next Bachelorette. He reiterates a 10th time in the span of three weeks that his worst fear with being the Bachelor is that whoever ends up with the final rose by the end of this won’t reciprocate the love Colton is feeling.

They’re cooking for their dinner date! Cute.

One-on-One #1 Dinner Date Highlights:
• Colton had fun, yadda yadda yadda, and he wants to know if her family would be comfortable with them. Tayshia explains that her last breakup was hard on her family and her dad built a wall as a result.
• Colton explains that his philosophy is that he can’t propose without a father’s blessing.

The first golden ticket to hometowns goes to...

One-On-One Rose #1: Tayshia

Colton seems pumped up to meet her dad, and the date ends with her wearing his jersey. He explains that he’s falling for Tayshia and that he sees her at the end of this journey.

-

One-on-One Date #2: Caelynn
“Meet me in the Rockies.” - Colton.

Well this should be interesting. Now that Tayshia has supposedly spilled the beans, how will Caelynn react?

-

The American Rockies. Cold, rocky, and breathing feels like 20 pound weights on your heart. Yes that was an exaggeration. But will their conversations be exaggerated?

The two go snowboarding, and while they had fun, there’s still that lingering fear.

BAM. Colton drops the bomb. He reveals that Tayshia revealed that there were certain people who were already discussing the next Bachelorette season, and Caelynn’s name came up. She’s SHOOK. She explains that she sees a future with them, which only confuses Colton. He’s concerned on why someone would be lying and going up to him up front. HAVE YOU SEEN THE PAST SEASONS?!?! There’s always a white knight. Meanwhile Caelynn is furious that someone would slander her name like that.

Honestly these bachelors need to be put into sequester and watch previous seasons so they can see what they’re up against. Anything but Arie’s and Juan Pablo’s seasons would do. (And maybe Jason Mesnick as well)

Group Date One-On-Ones:
• Caelynn comes into the date confused and distraught because now that Colton has all these doubts, she feels that she’s going home tonight.
• Colton’s about to lose his mind. He wants to be ready and he wants the relationship to be ready. He can’t do that if he doesn’t know what to do.
• Caelynn wants to reiterate how much she loves him and sees a future for him, and it scares her that it could all be taken from her because of hearsay.
• Colton wants her to know that he wants to show her parents that he’ll be there for her and that whatever she went through only made her stronger.

Colton makes this grand speech about how he’s falling in love with her. Like OF COURSE she isn’t leaving!

One-On-One Date Rose #2: Caelynn

And that’s another rose for hometowns down. The date ends with a private concert by Brett Young.

-

One-On-One Date #3: Hannah B.
“Home is where the heart is.” - Colton.

WAIT A SEC. Is this where she meets his parents?

-

Meanwhile, Caelynn relays to Cassie that Tayshia told Colton that neither of them were ready for marriage. Ooh more drama. Tayshia explains that in her conversation with Katie and others, they came to a consensus that it was those two who weren’t ready. Caelynn feels blindsided, while Tayshia feels concerned for Colton. He looks to break down any second.

Yep. Hannah is meeting the parents for this one-on-one. This is a shock. They normally don’t do this until final 3. That makes me concerned. She’s really excited about meeting his family.

He discusses the show with his dad, and he vents to him about the previous week, along with Tayshia and Caelynn’s one-on-one’s. His dad tells him that he needs to trust his gut and that he shouldn’t second guess himself like he has been doing all season.

“At this point I’ve been doing a very good job at trusting my gut” yeah okay. You’ve been scared out of your mind since Elyse left.

One-On-One Date Dinner Highlights:
• They’re in an airplane hangar. That’s new.
• Hannah respects her family a lot and loved that she got to meet them.
• She has a ton of passion for this relationship but he’s scared about everything still.

Yeah. Colton just had to look in the mirror to see if he was ready rather than ask everyone else if they were ready. Hannah B. understands and she wouldn’t want that for herself.

So Hannah wasn’t confirmed for hometowns and was actually sent home. Colton is more distraught that she has opened up to him and was ready... but he wasn’t, and he felt that she didn’t deserve that.

-

Group Date:
1. Hannah G.
2. Kirpa
3. Cassie
4. Heather
“Saying goodbye isn’t always easy.” - Colton

There are four girls in this group date, and two more roses to give out for hometowns. There’s so much at stake. The five of them take a train ride and head for their location. Colton wants to be ready for them, but at the same time they should be ready for him.

Looks like we’re getting into one-on-ones right away.

Heather almost immediately tells him that she’s not ready to take him into his hometown and is ready to let him go. Colton sympathizes and respect her decision. One girl down, one left to go.

Now we get to Kirpa and Cassie’s conversation. Kirpa doesn’t feel that she’s ready after all the stuff with Katie.

During his one-on-one with Cassie, he’s worried about her commitment and if he does say goodbye to her, would he be ready for the blowback? He tells her the same story he told Caelynn, and Cassie takes it even harder. She really wants to bring him to his family. And that breaks Colton because he doesn’t want to see her upset.

Kirpa wants to tell him what Katie told her and echo her concerns. Apparently this stemmed from them getting defensive because of Colton’s speech. And that seemed fishy.

This leads to a fight between Cassie and Kirpa. The latter believes that Colton’s heart is on the line and that he trusts Katie enough to take this to heart. Cassie thinks she’s desperate.

Lol. Katie left and served us the rest of the drama this season.

-

There are two roses left to give out. But he wants to save them for the evening and resume their conversations from there. Ooh foreshadowing a cocktail party.

-

Okay, so it’s not a cocktail party. But it’s dinner and he wants to dive into this with more clarity than before. The first person up is Hannah. All they hear through the awkward silence is Hannah’s giggles. Colton walks through the door, grabs a rose, and disappears.

Group Date Rose #1: Hannah G.

So it’s between Kirpa and Cassie now.

Colton commends Kirpa for her candor and she’s glad that she trusts him. Meanwhile we see a silhouette walking to the door.

Nope. It’s just Caelynn walking up to the rooftop. She feels that this is a huge decision for him and continues to reiterate that she feels that everything said was all fabricated. Meanwhile the tension between the other two is so thick that you can cut through it with a knife.

Colton tells the two that he should trust his gut. And his gut tells him that the last rose goes to...

Group Date Rose #2: Cassie

Unfortunately it’s Kirpa who gets the Evan treatment. Not many parting words but she’s said all that she said.

So it’s Cassie, Caelynn, Tayshia and Hannah G. going to hometowns.

-

Next Week: Hometowns! Which means we’re getting closer to the final rose and the Women Tell All. I wonder what is going through their dads’ minds. Also no sign of a fence jump just yet.

+Quote Post
Codester X
post Tuesday, 10:15 PM
Post #25
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
Codester X
post 18 hours ago
Post #26
   No Gallery Pics

Jared & Ashley sound off on the Caelynn/Cassie vs the house drama!

-

I personally don’t think it’s that deep. Caelynn and Cassie were getting pretty defensive during scenes of them together and the latter said “I hope my words don’t get twisted”. This means that there was a conversation going on, it just might not be the one Tayshia and Kirpa think it is or Katie misinterpreted and something went wrong during that game of telephone. There’s a lot of gossip that goes around in the house (it’s a reality show, duh), and a lot could have happened in between Sydney/Demi leaving and that rose ceremony in Vietnam. The problem is unlike Big Brother, there’s no way for us to know until the Women Tell All.

What leads me towards her side is that little conversation before Hannah B’s one-on-one and the fact that this isn’t the first time girls in the house have said something about Caelynn not being here for the right intentions. What leads me to go against Tayshia is the lack of evidence and the fact that at this point, Caelynn is the easiest target. Demi’s gone, and Hannah B didn’t even make it past that one-on-one despite editing making us believe that she’s not ready. Who’s the person left who has been in the most drama? Caelynn. I think Cassie’s intentions are clear and that she is very much in love with Colton, but I also don’t think she’s as ready as she seems. She’s currently in grad school and that takes so much focus since she’s a speech pathologist. They could get engaged but at the same time it might turn into a Rachel/Peter situation where reality hits faster than you might think.

The only outlier in this is Hannah G. She’s pretty much stayed in her own lane but has witnessed a lot of the drama unfold, from the pageant queens fighting to the Demi drama that seemed to involve half of the cast. While I don’t think that’s her personality type, at this point the season has taken the “white knight” theory and nuked it, so it won’t be long before Colton asks her about the drama and she cracks because “he appreciates honesty”.

In my opinion, the only person to blame for all of this is Colton. He’s made it clear that he wants someone who challenges him, is honest, and loves adventure. At the same time he’s made it clear that he’s not good at trusting his gut. He’s doing his best to listen (I mean who can blame him? He’s a very empathetic person), but at the same time he’s taking the gossip and the fights waaaay too much into heart, and he probably doesn’t want to be another Bachelor relationship fail. He knows something’s up but he’s way too scared to even act on it. Most of the girls who had that initiative are gone.

I’ve seen a comment that Hannah B. returns and meets Colton in his hotel since he’s going to Hannah G.’s hometown, drops a bomb on him, and that’s what causes the fence jump. There are three major scenes left that were shown on the super trailer but haven’t been aired yet: someone hugging Colton while he bawls (Tayshia probably?), one where Colton talks about how he puts himself out there and gets rejected, and of course, the fence jump, which immediately after cuts to Hannah B. saying “what just happened?” The only times she could have said that were during the pool party (she was too angry about Caelynn talking shit about her) and the rose ceremonies in Asia (but what she was wearing didn’t look like a cocktail party dress). So Hannah B. might be the missing link to what causes the fence jump.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd February 2019 - 06:23 PM