BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Elon Musk buying Twitter
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Doctor Blind
post 4th November 2022, 07:00 PM
Post #41
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

cool2.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 4th November 2022, 07:37 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I have time for AOC. I don’t know why she gets the right so pressed she’s a centerist but w/e

Elon defo picked a battle he can’t win and it’s so funny to watch

+Quote this post
p a v
post 5th November 2022, 12:27 AM
Post #43
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

Every single thing he does these days SCREAMS bullied in school trauma manifesting itself in adulthood via trying to get back at everyone. ‘You see how many zeros after a 1 I have in my bank account, I can buy Twitter if I want to!!1’. His name should be put as one of the definitions of “sad loser” in a dictionary.

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 5th November 2022, 12:49 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

after the past few days part of me thinks he's trying to self-destruct and trying to bring down a powerful platform with him lmao

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th November 2022, 01:49 AM
Post #45
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(dhwija board @ Nov 5 2022, 12:49 AM) *
after the past few days part of me thinks he's trying to self-destruct and trying to bring down a powerful platform with him lmao

Revenge for how he has been constantly mocked by people on Twitter perhaps. He has such a thin skin.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 5th November 2022, 03:26 AM
Post #46
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Just about "how much" and "when" tbh

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 14th November 2022, 06:54 PM
Post #47
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Well, it's er.. I'll just leave this here:

https://canadatoday.news/ca/elon-musk-fires...the-app-147756/

+Quote this post
Silas
post 14th November 2022, 08:53 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Surely that’s a good unfair dismissal suit just waiting to happen. That man is going to fire someone like that in a country with labour laws one day and it will not end well for him

Personally I am hoping that big Pharma comes for him or at the very least their shareholders do. Because literally everyone could see the „idk let’s let anyone buy a blue tick“ going disastrously wrong aside from him

Remain firmly convinced that there needs to be a European social network that conforms to European social values and basic standards of human decency. We should have a whip round and buy twitter for 50€ in Feb once musk has finished killing it

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th November 2022, 02:55 AM
Post #49
Group icon

It appears a critical mass of Twitter employees are mass resigning and there is no one in the Twitter building to fix things if, say, a worldwide app suddenly decides to break. holy shit

though one of them clearly is a good enough engineer to do this:

+Quote this post
tommie
post 18th November 2022, 03:36 AM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

*shrug* The company is losing 1.4 billion per year and Elon is gutting it inside out to try and make it profitable. People being drama queens is funny to watch though.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th November 2022, 03:56 AM
Post #51
Group icon

Twitter is a public service. Something Musk acknowledged upon taking it on. Not a profit-making machine.

And he needs top software engineering talent to keep it running.

Do his actions upon taking on the company in ANY way, shape or form, represent creating a comfortable environment for either attracting talented workers or advertisers to make money with? Of course not. He's an incompetent moron with zero people skills and soon to be significantly less money.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 18th November 2022, 04:04 AM
Post #52
Group icon

let's get some quotes shall we:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022...th-resignations

Hundreds of Twitter employees refused on Thursday to sign a pledge to work “long hours at high intensity”, threatening the site’s ability to keep operating and prompting hurried debates among managers over who should be asked to return, current and former employees said.

The crisis came in response to an ultimatum the site’s new owner, Elon Musk, issued Wednesday demanding that employees sign a pledge to work harder by 5pm eastern time Thursday or accept three months’ severance pay, several media outlets reported.

As the deadline approached, hundreds of Twitter employees appeared to have decided to depart with the severance pay, the people said. Twitter later announced via email that it would close “our office buildings” and disable employee badge access until Monday, the New York Times reported.
He's a bad boss who is scaring workers away.

Twitter, which has lost many of its communication team members, did not respond to a request for comment.

They now don't have departments to retain basic services.

On Thursday evening, the version of the Twitter app used by employees began slowing down, according to one source familiar with the matter, who estimated that the public version of Twitter was at risk of breaking during the night.

“If it does break, there is no one left to fix things in many areas,” the person said, who declined to be named for fear of retribution.
If it breaks, it goes down. No one is there to fix it.

In a private chat on Signal with about 50 Twitter staffers, nearly 40 said they had decided to leave, according to the former employee.

And in a private Slack group for Twitter’s current and former employees, about 360 people joined a new channel titled “voluntary-layoff”, said a person with knowledge of the Slack group.

A separate poll on Blind asked staffers to estimate what percentage of people would leave Twitter based on their perception. More than half of respondents estimated at least 50% of employees would leave.

The numbers that have left or are leaving is probably at least 50% at a low estimate. It'll only continue as more services shut down and Elon continues to rant and rage and ask the remaining employees to work harder.

As things stand, this is not people being drama queens. This is one of the biggest sites in the world losing almost all of its staff in an unbelievably short time.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 18th November 2022, 04:36 AM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Right. Now people can acknowledge that social media like Twitter have become a part of our infrastructure and is a public service rather than just a private company.

Weird how Twitter actually went from public to private with the buy-out from Elon though.

Look, I think it's constructive that people can finally have this sort of realisation, but as someone who has been yelling very loudly that social media companies aren't just private companies but has creeped their way into becoming part of the infrastructure this is bittersweet. People finally acknowledge this, but they only do it because they hate Musk. It makes me roll my eyes.

This post has been edited by tommie: 18th November 2022, 04:41 AM

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 18th November 2022, 01:31 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

It's quite sad to see twitter being gutted and intentionally destroyed by Elon (he knows exactly what he's doing). I really enjoy using Twitter. It's been a great way for me to get lots of news first hand (from science/gaming/music to breaking news regarding disasters etc). It also allows a level of interactivity with people that other platforms don't have (I've asked questions to scientists about their research/things before and get a high success rate of responses).

I'm not sure how long Twitter will last. I wouldn't be surprised that by the new year it's shut down or Elon sells it off for a very low price after completely ruining the platform.

+Quote this post
nickthenoodle
post 18th November 2022, 03:21 PM
Post #55
Group icon
livin' legend you can look but don't touch
User: 4,844

Twitter is far and away my favourite social media and it's a shame to see what's happening to it. The bright side is all the weird Crypto bro Elon Musk fans will now no longer be able to claim he's some kind of genius/mastermind/inventor. Supposedly he's an 'engineer' who didn't realise that a massive website and app needed engineers to run?! I do hope all the poor people caught up in this as employees find other work easily!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 18th November 2022, 03:38 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Glad I stopped using Twitter regularly about 10 years ago. Barely ever grace the site these days anyway...

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 18th November 2022, 06:31 PM
Post #57
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Twitter is a bit of a cesspit anyway even if there is sometimes some good to weed out amongst all the shit so I can't say I'm too sad that things are looking bleak, but it is a shame for the innocent employees who didn't ask for this incompetent megalomaniac to put their jobs at risk. Feels like it'll be a very different world without it it's been omnipresent for so long!

+Quote this post
Silas
post 18th November 2022, 07:14 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Twitter is one of the best social networks of not the best. It is no more toxic than Facebook but it’s not run by a puritanical prude (or at least it wasn’t) and so you ended up with content that could flourish that wasn’t available anywhere else. A proper safe space for the LGBT community exiled from Tumblr. Twitter content is *chefs kiss*

It’s also home to a remarkable amount of politicians and experts and there’s nowhere else on the web you can have that kind of interaction. I’ve learned so much from my feed. It needs to be better at handling Nazis and hateful content, but you had a site that was almost European in its attitudes and morals. If it goes under it will be a huge loss, in a way that no other site shutting has been

I don’t think it will go under. I think that it’s a rough few months ahead and twitters problems have been multiplied fifty times by an incompetent c**t buying the place and wading in and f***ing about with things when he has zero idea about how any of it works or why things are done how they are. But it will survive. Assuming they stop sacking entire teams necessary to run the bloody place

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th November 2022, 03:03 AM
Post #59
Group icon

Yeah, I do not really want to lose Twitter. I've signed up to Mastodon, which seems to be a cross between Twitter and Discord, and while I appreciate its decentralised nature and that every part of it is a separate site that can't be unilaterally purchased by the guy with the most money and ruined, I have so many conflicting interests that picking a home server is really troublesome. Might default to the Eurovision one for now.

Even though doing that on Twitter is stupid for your reach, I really appreciated the ease with which I could just follow everyone and anyone I was interested in and there's so many good threads on there.

for those wondering just how it might break at current levels with understaffing of software engineers and a boss who doesn't understand the first thing about running a world-spanning social media company, see this thread for at least 50 delightful scenarios that are possible in the near future:

meanwhile said boss is running a Twitter poll for whether a disgraced former president who tried to launch a coup through Twitter should be allowed back on Twitter

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 19th November 2022, 05:23 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

LOL my black cabbie mate Mick along the road has just been unbanned again. For third time.

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:34 PM