BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> One_For_Sorrow's Taylor Swift Albums Listen Through, From 'Taylor Swift' to 'Midnights' - LOVER pg2
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th February 2024, 10:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

After being a some what occasional Taylor Swift fan (I think I've only ever heard a maybe three of her albums in full), I've decided I should delve into her back catalogue of albums and see what I'm missing out on. I have decided for now that I will do all 10 original albums from Taylor Swift through to Midnights first then follow it up with The Tortured Poets Department once it's released. After that I might go through and do the re-recordings as well, I haven't quite decided on that yet.

I've heard plenty of Taylor's singles over the years, they've been somewhat inescapable. I've liked a fair few of them but there's also been some I haven't been to fond of at all either. That my potentially change with listening to them in the context of the album.

I'll be starting today with her 2006 debut album Taylor Swift and aim to get through one per week over the next 10 weeks. Each album will have it's own post where I'll hopefully provide a short review and my highlights for the singles and album tracks.

After listening to each album I'll update a list ranking the 10 albums from favourite to least favourite.

Please feel free to comment below with your thoughts, feedback or opinions. smile.gif

Looking forward to this! smile.gif

The albums:

Taylor Swift
Fearless - Platinum Edition
Speak Now
Red

Folklore
Evermore
Midnights

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 21st March 2024, 04:47 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th February 2024, 10:42 PM
Post #2
Group icon
---

Album Rank:

1. 1989
2. Lover
3. Speak Now
4. Reputation
5. Red
6. Fearless - Platinum Edition
7. Taylor Swift

This post has been edited by One_For_Sorrow: 21st March 2024, 04:48 AM

+Quote this post
London
post 14th February 2024, 10:57 PM
Post #3
Group icon
London Boy
User: 21,053

Sounds great! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on her albums smile.gif

Might I suggest you listen to the re-recording (if available) alongside the original.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts about the first album. I too may have a listen to it again although I've kinda been holding out to hear the re-recording coming soonish...

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th February 2024, 11:07 PM
Post #4
Group icon
---

QUOTE(London @ Feb 14 2024, 10:57 PM) *
Sounds great! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on her albums smile.gif

Might I suggest you listen to the re-recording (if available) alongside the original.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts about the first album. I too may have a listen to it again although I've kinda been holding out to hear the re-recording coming soonish...

Thanks!! smile.gif

I've just finished her first album, so that'll be coming up soon.

It's a good idea listening to the re-recordings straight after the originals, I may end up doing that. smile.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th February 2024, 11:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
---

Taylor Swift (2006)

Kicking things off we have Taylor’s self-titled debut album from 2006. Upon listening to it I started to think it sounded somewhat familiar, after going over it in my head I’d remembered that I’d listened to this all the way back in 2009 but I can barely remember any of it outside of Teardrops On My Guitar, Our Song, Picture To Burn. I’m guessing I must’ve checked it out after really like Love Story when that was first released. The album mustn’t have left much of an impression on me back then as I couldn’t recall anything else at all.

Going into this I was aware of Taylor’s country beginnings so it was no surprise to me that this was very different to what she releases now. It has however got me very interested and excited to see the music evolution and journey Taylor takes of the course of her 10 studio albums.

Of the album itself I found it to be quite pleasant without being anything to special. I’ve enjoyed country music over the years with Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood and Faith Hill being amongst some of the regulars I go to for my bit of country music fix. I think it’s clear though from the offset that Taylor has a real gift at song writing with Teardrops On My Guitar and Picture To Burn being my favourite two songs from the album. Aside from the singles though and Stay Beautiful which was my favourite album track I didn’t find much else that had me itching to go back to it. Saying that though there wasn’t anything on here that I thoroughly disliked, just a lot that completely came and went. On the whole though this was a very decent debut and one that I am sure set a strong foundation for what is to come.

Singles I liked: Teardrops On My Guitar, Our Song, Picture To Burn, Should’ve Said No
Album Tracks I liked: Stay Beautiful

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 14th February 2024, 11:29 PM
Post #6
Group icon
---

I also wanted to note that the albums I'm most looking forward to are Folklore and Evermore. I've only ever heard Cardigan and Willow respectively and I know how much Taylor Swift fans love these two albums, so it has me very eager to get to them and see what all the fuss is about.

+Quote this post
London
post 15th February 2024, 07:44 AM
Post #7
Group icon
London Boy

Great review!

This quote of yours sums it up perfectly: 'Of the album itself I found it to be quite pleasant without being anything to special.'

I find this album good background music for when I'm doing something else.

I agree the singles are the strongest efforts. Our song is probably one of my faves on the album.

+Quote this post
London
post 15th February 2024, 07:45 AM
Post #8
Group icon
London Boy

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Feb 14 2024, 11:29 PM) *
I also wanted to note that the albums I'm most looking forward to are Folklore and Evermore. I've only ever heard Cardigan and Willow respectively and I know how much Taylor Swift fans love these two albums, so it has me very eager to get to them and see what all the fuss is about.

You're gonna love them....
Both remind me of COVID in some ways - great albums though.

+Quote this post
kimberley88
post 15th February 2024, 01:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 10,194

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Feb 14 2024, 11:29 PM) *

For me i perfered rep,lover and midnights to folklore and evermore. I guess it was because I only became a fan in October and I listened to those albums first.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 15th February 2024, 07:18 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Looking forward to this! Her debut album is the odd one among her discography - no one ever talks about it lol but Tim McGraw is honestly one of her best songs.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 17th February 2024, 03:11 AM
Post #11
Group icon
---

QUOTE(Sour Candy @ Feb 15 2024, 07:18 PM) *
Looking forward to this! Her debut album is the odd one among her discography - no one ever talks about it lol but Tim McGraw is honestly one of her best songs.

Agreed it is always so overlooked. It does have it good songs though.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 17th February 2024, 03:12 AM
Post #12
Group icon
---

For my Fearless listen through I've opted to go with the Platinum Edition.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 17th February 2024, 08:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon
---

Fearless - Platinum Edition is done. I’ll have it written up shortly. smile.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 17th February 2024, 08:53 PM
Post #14
Group icon
---

Fearless – Platinum Edition (2009)

I can remember back to February 2009 when I first heard/saw Love Story playing on one of the music video channels on TV and I was immediately drawn into the song. I liked everything about it, the country style pop, the music video itself and of course Taylor Swift herself. After it finished I remember going onto iTunes and downloading it so I could listen to it on the train the following day going to tafe (college). After that I decided to do a bit of checking out so I looked her up on Wikipedia and found to my surprise Love Story wasn’t her debut single and that it was the lead single from her second album. I decided that after tafe I’d walk to the station that was further away just so I could walk passed the music shop to buy Fearless on the day it was released.

So listening to this has really taken me back to early 2009 and the hot summer morning and afternoons on the trains listening to this as well as many other albums from late 2008, early 2009. It really was a memorable time for me music wise. On the album itself I’ve opted for the Platinum Edition as I’m aiming to cover all the Taylor’s Version albums after I’ve completed all the original albums, so I wanted to be at least a little familiar with them. Of the six additional track on the Platinum Edition none really stood out to me in particular, but at the same time none were really that bad either. I think my pick of them would be Jump Then Fall or Other Side Of The Door.

On the remainder of the album it picks up really strongly with Fearless and from then on there isn’t really a bad song. Fearless, Fifteen and Love Story are all fantastic choices for singles. Hey Stephen was nice and White Horse is at this stage quite possibly my favourite Taylor Swift song, it’s just beautiful. You Belong With Me is another one of those songs that really take me back to 2009 and that music video being EVERYWHERE! I still quite like the song too. Breathe and Tell Me Why are both great quality album tracks and You’re Not Sorry is my favourite of the albums tracks, it’s just fantastic. The Way I Loved You and the original Forever & Always are both really nice, in fact both versions of Forever & Always are quite good. The Best Day is probably my least favourite from this album unfortunately and is probably the first song I’d skip when listening to this again. Closing out the album is Change and whilst I don’t find it as great as the rest of the album it’s still a nice song.

It was great to see such progression and a step up from her debut album Taylor Swift The country sound is still there but you can also start to see the little pop elements coming into it as well. This was an incredibly solid album and I’d probably hold it in a slightly higher regard if it was just the original edition I listened to as I felt the Platinum Edition tracks didn’t do much for me. Overall though it was a very enjoyable listen and I’m already looking forward to Fearless Taylor’s Version when I get around to it.

Singles I liked: White Horse, Love Story, You Belong With Me, Fifteen, Fearless
Album Tracks I liked: You’re Not Sorry, Breathe, Tell Me Why

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 18th February 2024, 09:01 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

The singles on Fearless are great, the album tracks not so much.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 20th February 2024, 07:35 AM
Post #16
Group icon
---

QUOTE(Sour Candy @ Feb 18 2024, 09:01 AM) *
The singles on Fearless are great, the album tracks not so much.

Agree that there’s a bit of a drip In quality but You’re Not Sorry is great.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 22nd February 2024, 06:28 AM
Post #17
Group icon
---

Speak Now is done and will be posted tomorrow.

It’s been a little quiet in here, but hopefully people are enjoying this so far. smile.gif

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 22nd February 2024, 11:17 PM
Post #18
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

I haven't posted, but I have been reading.

+Quote this post
London
post 23rd February 2024, 12:03 AM
Post #19
Group icon
London Boy

I think fearless is such a fab album and some real gems on there. Apart from the obvious, I love Hey Stephen and Forever and Always heart.gif

It's got a couple of great vault tracks which I think you'll like when you come to Taylor's version.

But this album is way down on the list for me compared to her other albums.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on speak now which is one of my favourite albums.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 23rd February 2024, 05:58 AM
Post #20
Group icon
---

QUOTE(London @ Feb 23 2024, 12:03 AM) *
I think fearless is such a fab album and some real gems on there. Apart from the obvious, I love Hey Stephen and Forever and Always heart.gif

It's got a couple of great vault tracks which I think you'll like when you come to Taylor's version.

But this album is way down on the list for me compared to her other albums.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on speak now which is one of my favourite albums.

I'm looking forward to all of the Taylor's Version's albums. They'll come after after all the original albums tough. smile.gif

Speak Now is up now. smile.gif (Spoiler !!!It was very very good!!!)

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 07:12 PM