BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Drag Race // Season 13 // Episode 12, roast
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 26th March 2021, 07:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

The remaining 6 queens compete in a Roast challenge featuring some Miss Congenialities from past seasons.
OA: 26 Mar
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ramz
post 26th March 2021, 09:07 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 12,044

The mini challenge is so good!! Definitely the best one they’ve had in ages, it was so funny. Wrong winners though but doesn’t matter much in the minis.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 26th March 2021, 09:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

QUOTE(Ramz @ Mar 26 2021, 09:07 PM) *
The mini challenge is so good!! Definitely the best one they’ve had in ages, it was so funny. Wrong winners though but doesn’t matter much in the minis.

I also found the mini challenge so funny- I very rarely laugh at Drag Race but this was so funny

+Quote this post
Ramz
post 26th March 2021, 09:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(George.keh @ Mar 26 2021, 09:09 PM) *
I also found the mini challenge so funny- I very rarely laugh at Drag Race but this was so funny

Plus Gottmik’s mini challenge face was somehow better than Tina Burner’s mug all season. It somehow suited her!!

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th March 2021, 07:09 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

I would've been ok with either Rose or Gottmik winning, so of course Kandy Muse got it. Kandy wasn't bad, but for me still a bit far behind.

Olivia Luxx should've played more with nice and then have a dead-pan line at the end of it.

Right bottom two. Symone versus Utica was always going to end up with Symone winning. Utica barely got any shots in the editing though, so hard to say how she really performed in the lipsynch. But thankful U's been put out of her misery since the panel just hated him anyway.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 27th March 2021, 07:39 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

Yeah Utica was my favourite and even I’m not mad she’s gone this week. I just don’t think they got her, and it was painful to watch sometimes. I swear the beginning was edited back to front, like her asking about the lip sync and saying she enjoys it was actually before her being upset about sending Tina home and production just swapped it round to make everyone think she’s weird, two faced etc.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th March 2021, 07:48 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think the biggest question is now who'll end up in the fifth and fourth place - Kandy Muse or Olivia Luxx?

Yes, Symone bombed this week, but it doesn't really take away anything overall. I guess I could see Symone getting a surprise shaft in favour of Kandy Muse for the top 3...

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 27th March 2021, 09:20 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I loved the mini challenge too, just really fun! I agree about Gottmik, that looked like something she could do a look with and still turn it out laugh.gif

I found Gottmik the funniest in the roast too tbh, especially given she was worried about it and couldn't quite find her flow in rehearsal. She listened to Loni and Michelle and made sure she improved, I nearly always find her really warm and on her game when she does comedy, acting and stuff like that, she just has *it*. I love her trajectory this season, you started thinking "oh she's a fashion girl", then she smashed the Rusical, Snatch Game and now a roast. I don't think she expected it of herself, but she never seems to let that doubt cloud her and I love that. Kandy and Rosé were great too, I wouldn't have given Kandy the win over Gottmik but it was definitely the challenge for Kandy to shine, what usually feels like a negative "oh she's being herself" in say an acting challenge was a strength here and that energy and shadiness made for a really good set.

Olivia was lucky that Symone and Utica absolutely TANKED, she had some jokes but I think she really hides behind that sweet character, and I do think it is a character because she has that shady diva edge in the workroom, and then she just for whatever reason is afraid to show that in terms of the actual challenges? I think when you look at that plus th branding challenges, I think she just doesn't know who she is yet really in terms of her drag and it shows. It's her time to go next I think as much as people say Kandy should have gone a while ago. This is 4 challenges in a row now she's done bad at, and tbh she's been wholly forgettable the times she's been safe too.

Poor Symone sad.gif I think with her, rather than having any weak areas (we know she can do comedy and performance which she's been bottom 2 for), she gets in her head when she *thinks* she can't do it, if it doesn't go how she planned it in her head she struggles to find her way back. But that makes her human and likeable, she shows that weakness. I love love love her lipsyncs too, she's magical, she makes it seem so effortless but crams so much in, I tend not to be that keen on OTT campy lipsyncs (depends on the song ofc), but NTLTC was definitely a Symone song.

Utica... yeah it was her time to go. I don't think the judges got her at times but this was a bomb either way, she didn't listen to Loni and Michelle and tbh hasn't listened for weeks now. Her drag is just different than what the parameters of Drag Race define it as, that's fine, she's great as a queen how she is, but I'm glad she's put out of her misery because no matter what she did, they didn't seem to like it, until she was Symone laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 27th March 2021, 11:17 AM
Post #9
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

I actually really enjoyed Kandy in that episode ph34r.gif she had the strongest set (although there was definitely some rigga morris with the editing, her set was FAR longer than any of the other girls'), and didn't look a mess for once. Rosé was really good too!

I'm starting to really dislike Olivia at this point - I rolled my eyes so hard when she was safe. Obviously Symone and Utica were both terrible in the roast, but Olivia has skated by for too long now with this nice girl act and average performances in challenges. Obviously Utica wasn't going to get much further due to the judges just not being able to open their minds and understand her more, and Symone just cracked I think (love her so much cry.gif). Olivia, much like her snatch game, was just... there and was awkward af to watch.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 27th March 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

I didn't find Kandy funny in the slightest but maybe that's just because I never ever find her funny. She's so one note. Utica got done dirty - they just don't get her and people are doing way too much saying she's being nasty, people always make jokes in a roast that's personal.

No one really made me laugh to be honest, I found Rose the funniest maybe but it was a weak episode but the editing would have you thinking otherwise. Ross Matthews really needs to not be a judge anymore, his critiques are so so tired - to say THAT was Uticas best look?! Give me a break! I've never found him likeable in the slightest too. Hilarious? Where?

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 27th March 2021, 11:41 AM
Post #11
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

I never can quite grasp the American concept of a roast. What's off limits and what isn't? It always feels quite tame to me with the same old jokes. Omg Michelle Visage has sex. Omg RuPaul is old. Omg someone with broad shoulders has broad shoulders. Omg a big person is big, and sometimes that's shocking to say and sometimes not depending on whether production likes the queen.

I didn't think any of Utica's jokes were close to the bone or any more shocking than anything said by any of the others, they were just edited with shocked reactions as if they were, like A'Whora's comedy standup.

Because she relied on notes more than any of the others and had that manic smile throughout, I would have put Olivia in the bottom, with either Utica or Symone to join her.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th March 2021, 12:01 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

Correct judging for me this week- I wouldn’t have been mad at a Gottmik win but a Kandy win did make sense tbf!

Olivia being low rather than bottom 2 also made sense as she didn’t bomb quite as hard as the other 2

+Quote this post
Ramz
post 27th March 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

It was so uncomfortable watching Symone and Utica’s sets, especially when they started clapping back at Utica. It just took all the fun out of the episode which was a shame. I think of the two Symone did the worst, there wasn’t really anything funny about her set while Utica did at least come in strong and her asking Ru to stand was iconic and would have would have got laughs had pretty much any other queen said it. As for the lip sync it was one of my favourites of the season, both did well and though it was an obvious result I do think it was Utica’s time.

Olivia Lux is just so boring to watch at this point, she’s not done anything interesting for weeks and I just don’t buy her nice act. The fact it’s basically all she talk about just makes her seem so insincere and self produced. I’d be shocked if she isn’t the next out at this point.

Great episode for Rosé, she was my pic to win this week. I did agree that I found her funnier in rehearsal but I just assumed that was because the edited her set down so much, like was it just me that felt she barely got any screen time in the roast? Have loved her looks this week as well which is so nice to see after hating pretty much all her runways prior. I think she’s my pick to win now though I’m pretty sure that’s not going to happen. Was a great week for Gottmik as well but I guess that’s no surprise at this point since she’s done well at most of the comedy challenges.

As for Kandy I do think this is the first week she actually did well, her roast was good but not my favourite. The thing is though I’ve just got no interest in her at this point. Even in this episode they were still producing her better than she was with her longer set screen time and even just the audience reaction to her jokes, you’d think it was the funniest set they’d ever seen based on the amount of laughs she got. It’s obvious Kandy’s a lock for the top 4 at this point and tbh with the amount of Ru and producer favouritism she’s had I wouldn’t be shocked if she won the season at this point.

+Quote this post
Billy.
post 27th March 2021, 03:11 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,095

I actually thought the judges were pretty cruel towards Utica this week and it didn’t sit well with me. Her jokes were clearly based around size which wasn’t cute but the judges said at the beginning to go as far as you can and that nothing is off limits so I found their reaction to be quite bizarre? It’s one thing to not find her funny but I found the guest judges response to one of Utica’s jokes (no you’re bombing or wtte) just plain mean? previous queens take the piss out of Michelle’s girl group career etc to no clap back so I’m not sure why the guest judge did it.

I’m glad Utica went because you really could tell the judges didn’t get her in the end too.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th March 2021, 03:20 PM
Post #15
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

I find it odd- we had the moment saying Alexis Michelle shouldn’t be offended by fat jokes but now fat jokes are too far?

+Quote this post
p a v
post 27th March 2021, 04:37 PM
Post #16
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

I don't understand what's so difficult to grasp about the fact why Utica's jokes weren't landing. They just weren't funny or clever enough. They were way too harsh, she could've softened them by including a compliment or reading herself as well. The contrast makes all the difference. But the end product was, although well delivered, just a bunch of mean comments.

I CRINGED the entire time Utica was on stage. But she handled herself very well and it was her time to go unfortunately.

I loved Kandy's set but I HATED seeing her win something. HATED. They say Olivia is one note... Kandy is not even one full note :')

+Quote this post
tommie
post 27th March 2021, 05:05 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(b @ Mar 27 2021, 05:37 PM) *
I loved Kandy's set but I HATED seeing her win something. HATED. They say Olivia is one note... Kandy is not even one full note :')

Eh, I felt Kandy was ok, but didn't have that great of a flow like Gottmik and Rosé had. In all honesty, if Symone and Utica - and to a lesser extent Olivia - hadn't utterly bombed I feel like it would've been seen as more mid-tier, but the distance between Kandy and Olivia (not to mention Symone and Utica) is so wast that it just becomes better by default.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 27th March 2021, 05:05 PM
Post #18
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

QUOTE(b @ Mar 27 2021, 04:37 PM) *
I don't understand what's so difficult to grasp about the fact why Utica's jokes weren't landing. They just weren't funny or clever enough. They were way too harsh, she could've softened them by including a compliment or reading herself as well. The contrast makes all the difference. But the end product was, although well delivered, just a bunch of mean comments.

I CRINGED the entire time Utica was on stage. But she handled herself very well and it was her time to go unfortunately.

Oh I absolutely understand it was an awful set haha! I just think in general on the show some reads are considered too harsh whilst others are fine and it’s confusing to understands what’s fine and not sometimes

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 27th March 2021, 05:15 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

My personal favourite was Gotmik - she really surprised me! Loved her look too.

I didn't like the editing though - it made the episode look way too produced (I mean when isn't it? laugh.gif). Kandy having by far the longest set... She was funny but I would've put Rose/Gotmik ahead of her, especially if they got as much screen time.

They did Utica a little dirty. Her jokes didn't really land and she was cringe, but the way it was edited made it seem like she did the unthinkable. You could quite easily edit it the opposite and make it seem as if she did an OK job. Also I don't get things being off limits - it's a roast, anything goes. Her asking Ru to stand up though.... laugh.gif That could've been edited into such an iconic moment. I just don't think the judges got Utica at all. Although to be fair Utica hasn't been listening to any of the constructive critism she has been given throughout the entire season.

Olivia was so disappointing. She wasn't as bad as Utica or Symone, but she could've done so much more. Her cutesy character could've worked so well if she delivered her punch lines with an evil/cut throat kind of voice/vibe. She's also a bit delusional given she said she thought she did well? laugh.gif

Utica going home was the right choice, her time was deifnitely up. Symone being bottom 2 again makes me wonder if that's pretty much stopped any chances of her winning? I don't think any winner has been in the bottom 2 twice.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 27th March 2021, 05:36 PM
Post #20
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

This episode made me think Gottmik will actually in the whole thing unless Rupaul is too tunnelled on Symone (like she was with Lawrence). Gottmik had my favourite performance this week too, everything just felt so easy about it.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 11:07 AM