BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Drag Race // Season 13 // Episode 13, top 5 acting challenge
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 2nd April 2021, 01:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

It's been a long road but the penultimate ep of the season is here! The dolls compete in an acting challenge: Henny, I Shrunk the Drag Queens! and will go from a final 5 to a top 4.

Who do you think won't make it?

OA: 02 April
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 2nd April 2021, 01:18 PM
Post #2
Group icon

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 2nd April 2021, 03:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Surely it’s Olivia’s time to go

+Quote this post
Ramz
post 2nd April 2021, 05:27 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 12,044

Fully expecting Olivia to go home this week and normally I’d be happy with that outcome but it’s nonsense Kandy’s going to outlast someone else.

Also surprised this isn’t the RuPaul verse challenge which I’m assuming is next week. Does that mean we’re getting a final 3? Surely they’re not actually going to have another non elimination episode.

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 2nd April 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

Unfortunately, it does feel like it'll be Olivia but she definitely deserves the final over Kandy, if you ask me :/

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 2nd April 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #6
Group icon

Interestingly I'm in the middle of completing a 'track record' chart like the ones on wikipedia based on our fan favourite vote every week and...let me just say, Kandy Muse has a 'record-breaking' run in terms of drag race contestants! Think Coco Montrese tongue.gif

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 2nd April 2021, 07:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh
User: 32,047

QUOTE(J00prstar @ Apr 2 2021, 07:57 PM) *
Interestingly I'm in the middle of completing a 'track record' chart like the ones on wikipedia based on our fan favourite vote every week and...let me just say, Kandy Muse has a 'record-breaking' run in terms of drag race contestants! Think Coco Montrese tongue.gif

I’d take Coco anyday if it meant her lipsyncs were actually good- Kandy said her best talent was lipsyncing and um??? I’m gonna decline on that one

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 2nd April 2021, 09:09 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Kandy LOOKED like she was gonna be a lip-sync assassin because her Call Me Maybe was so good, all the little tricks and bits she did were great, but her other two... I mean Bo$$ she just laid on the floor for half of it, very "turning around because I forgot the words" laugh.gif

I'd say her strength is her personality, for better or worse she's been one of the defining and memorable personalities this season. I think she's one of those who just hasn't translated well to Drag Race, the only challenges I'd actually say she's done really well at are the Roast and Makeover, and in the case of the latter it's like... impossible to make Mik look bad laugh.gif I still prefer her to Olivia though oops. I guess Olivia deserves the final more based on her wins but she's pretty much tanked four weeks in a row now.

Maybe I'm just scarred by other bad top 5 acting challenges (Sex & The Kitty Girl and My Best Squirrelfriend's whatever tf it was) but I don't hold out much hope for this one, the Hallmark one earlier this season was good though!

+Quote this post
RobBot
post 2nd April 2021, 09:18 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117

I just don't think we've seen hardly ANYTHING to demonstrate her talents and we're supposed to believe she's in the top 4 of this year? She was funny in the roast and is good at acting challenges where she can be loud, they seem to be the only two skills we've been shown. She has no sense of fashion, can't apply herself to performance challenges, has struggled to break out of playing herself in a lot roles, flops on the floor for lip syncs etc.

I feel like we've seen that Olivia is a talented dancer/performer, improviser, made a solid garment for the bag challenge, lip syncer etc
Denali was a really talented lip syncer, performer in the Rusical, lyricist, dancer, comic in Snatch Game, interesting fashion concepts etc

The fact they've given such a one trick pony a push over people with an array of skills is just ANNOYING to me.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 2nd April 2021, 09:35 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(RobBot @ Apr 2 2021, 10:18 PM) *
I just don't think we've seen hardly ANYTHING to demonstrate her talents and we're supposed to believe she's in the top 4 of this year? She was funny in the roast and is good at acting challenges where she can be loud, they seem to be the only two skills we've been shown. She has no sense of fashion, can't apply herself to performance challenges, has struggled to break out of playing herself in a lot roles, flops on the floor for lip syncs etc.

Oh definitely, to me she feels very Vanjie, kind of "niche" fan fave or rather, what the producers THINK will be a fan fave, and they seem to be really out of touch because it was obvious from episode 1 Kandy would be closer to Silky laugh.gif Just because she has a big personality does not mean she is good at Drag Race, will be well loved or should be anywhere near top 4 I agree, I think had she gone in the Rusical rather than there being a double shantay, that would have been a perfectly acceptable run for her. And I know this always gets said about controversial characters but I think she'd be far better received by fans had she gone when she arguably should have at that point. Plus they could have saved the double shantay for maybe the makeover, I think Denali would have made top 4 in that case.

Also while I was saying her personality is a strength, it's also a weakness because she relies on it far too much. I think I've said similar before but I think Kandy kind of knows that she's going to go over well no matter what with her personality, the judges will eat it up. In the preview for this week for example, she's going "this character is me I want it", girl give us something else PLEASE! I completely get when the judges call Olivia out for being one note but the same is never said for Kandy and I feel it's as much a problem for her. When you look at the range that Symone and Mik have served in particular, Kandy and Olivia just can't compare imo.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 2nd April 2021, 09:37 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Agree with most of the comments above

Rose, Gottmik and Symone are a clear top 3 for me. If Rose had better runway looks she’d be the obvious winner for me, but I’d take either 3 (maybe with Gottmik 3rd)

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 3rd April 2021, 07:27 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I think this is the first since season 6 to have two people in the final 3/4 who haven’t been in the bottom two at some point! Quite a few years!

Not including S***** P** last year.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 3rd April 2021, 07:39 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

I'm glad Kandy at least got called out for that hideous thing on the runway.

But Kandy's kind of had some really horrible fashion; that alien outfit comes to mind...

I'm starting to hate these "who do you think should deserve to go home" questions, because once it becomes obvious who is getting piled on the other Queens just follow suit. I'm pretty sure at least someone else must've been thinking Kandy but Olivia became the easiest pick because they knew Kandy would go on the attack.

The lipsynch was mediocre.

This post has been edited by tommie: 3rd April 2021, 07:44 AM

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 3rd April 2021, 08:55 AM
Post #14
Group icon

First episode I've really enjoyed since the Ball! I thought that was great. I love the surreal comedy in the acting challenge.

US fans online seem to not be enjoying it for 'bad writing' but surely that's the entire point, that it's a sendup of B movies and stupid scifi concepts... and of Honey I Shrunk The Kids in the first place. (Maybe US fans are now so young they don't even know that movie?)

Kandy Muse was so much more likeable and rootable without 3x the confessionals of anyone else. Thought Gottmik's runway was overpraised. Rose's win, sure, I guess, but all 4 top performers were pretty much on a par for me with Olivia the only one a little out of her depth. Foregone conclusion elimination, but I did think this was the first lipsync Kandy definitively won.

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 3rd April 2021, 09:10 AM
Post #15
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

I actually quite liked the acting challenge and thought they all did good on the runway aside from Kandy’s monstrosity- also I thought Gottmik was AWFUL in the challenge but they ate her up but I haven’t seen anyone else say she was bad so maybe it was just me

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 3rd April 2021, 11:08 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

I thought Gottmik was HILARIOUS, like that was the point it was a stupid silly B-Movie with an over the top performance. And even though we've seen that kind of character before she thought about what to do differently to have the range and make it a more rounded character. I wouldn't have been mad if she snatched the win, she ATE that runway too but then she hasn't come out looking anything less than flawless all season. This sure was Rosé's week though! As the judges said I think this challenge symbolised how far she's come, she's really nailed having a great balance of perfectionism and letting go, the perfectionism means she is always professional and ready but she doesn't struggle anymore with making fun of herself and having fun like she used to, and it makes her so much more likeable and well-rounded. She looked the best she's looked all season too I think, something a little different but still very Rosé. Symone's look I also loved, and she was great in the challenge - we stan the frontrunners wub.gif

I liked the challenge but I'd have loved if the roles were assigned so that each queen had to have the role that was written for someone else, I mean if it was just "be yourself but over the top" again then isn't that just the branding challenge and makeover again basically? laugh.gif I think Kandy and Olivia probably still would have done the worst because they're genuinely just the weakest links with such a strong top 3, but it would have been fun to see Olivia as the delusional villain for example, Symone as the dumb whiny one and Kandy as the smart sorted one. At top 5, I think they should all have taken a bit more of a risk and shown they can do it, but I did like the skit and the tops did well. Plus tbf if Rosé , Symone and Gottmik made the "same" characters pop in a new way each time, then Olivia and Kandy by now should be able to as well, they've had enough comments and direction about it.

Kandy easily won that lipsync btw, unlike her other two bottom 2 appearances, she actually had flashes of the Call Me Maybe lipsync with some little quirks and funny bits. I found her much more likeable this week too, the producers didn't push her plus I think she seemed more subdued and not as defensive/on the attack, I think a lot of her unlikeable traits come from insecurity and given she just won, she felt better about herself and I think less of her negative traits came through this episode.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 3rd April 2021, 12:07 PM
Post #17
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

I found that episode so boring. Ended up fast-forwarding through parts of it (Which I never do!)

Finale next week?

+Quote this post
George.keh
post 3rd April 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #18
Group icon
#VoteGarden.Keh

QUOTE(Cameron @ Apr 3 2021, 01:07 PM) *
I found that episode so boring. Ended up fast-forwarding through parts of it (Which I never do!)

Finale next week?

Sorry to disappoint but we have 3 EPISODES left!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 3rd April 2021, 01:09 PM
Post #19
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

3 episodes? Why? unsure.gif

I'm so happy Rosé got another win there - she acted brilliantly in the challenge, and that runway was so good! Very different for her, and definitely a standout. wub.gif

Gottmik was boring in the challenge - I found it hilarious that she had the gall to sit there in the confessional and say that Olivia always goes for the nice girl character that's happy 24/7, then Gottmik herself gravitates towards a stupid, whiny, dumb blonde character that we've seen her do already lol.

Olivia really did fade into the background throughout the whole challenge though, so I'm not surprised she ended up going. Kandy's runway was a shambles though, and I'm glad she didn't get a free pass for it. The lip-sync was painful to watch though - just knew Olivia was getting eliminated, but Kandy does this really annoying thing in lip-syncs where her facial expressions become so desperate and like she's trying to be emotive, but it's so off-putting.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post 3rd April 2021, 02:26 PM
Post #20
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

THREE?!?!?!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >