BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Most Timeless Songs of All Time, What will still be played /remembered in 2050?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Doctor Blind
post 3rd September 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

> The Most Timeless Songs of All-Time <

See link above for a project by Polygraph, which uses the most streamed tracks on Spotify to determine 'the most timeless songs in music history.' The methodology is a little bit loose because the total playcounts include people of all ages whereas ideally it should really only include the youngest possible sample. As they say on their front page 'Technically, we should normalise the data with Spotify users only born after 1995. They're the incoming generation with little bias towards the music (they didn't grow up with it), and they'll influence whomever is around in 2050. Spotify's user base already skews young, and the data more-or-less represents a generation in their mid-20s.'

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” is at #2 as the most 'timeless' song of the 1990s behind Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. Interesting nonetheless - would be great if the OCC could publish the most downloaded tracks (released pre-2004 and iTunes), I'm sure it would tally well to show us what could survive being remembered in 2050.

Anyway loads of fantastic stats etc. which just goes to show how downloading/streaming will more accurately represent how timeless a song is compared to the old physical and limited sale era.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 3rd September 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

This looks interesting, thanks. I'm not surprised at Get Lucky - it came up on Shuffle for me the other day and I realised I'd heard it so little since it left the charts that I barely recognised it, and found it annoying.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 3rd September 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

It's interesting, but this thing is only US-specific.

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post 3rd September 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 19,614

That's a good and interesting read. I do think it's crucial to note in those short term examples that something like "Get Lucky" was an instant hit everywhere which is why it has such an abnormally steep graph. I also wonder to see what sort of gradual effect tastemakers/critics/etc will cause when everyone starts making 2010s decade best of lists. I imagine a vanilla sort of band like OneRepublic might not get much of a look in, though I suppose they'll end up a light radio staple so they've got that going for them.

But I was reading something on this recently and the main thing that's observed is that use in media is the biggest way to make a song endure. It's certainly worked for "Don't Stop Believin'", though it may be curious to see if that too fades out along with the memories of all the TV shows & films it's associated with. Meanwhile, perhaps 20 years down the track, someone will make everyone remember something ridiculous like "The Fox" and that'll be one of the biggest songs of 2013 laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 3rd September 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(mr_pmt @ Sep 3 2015, 06:32 PM) *
It's interesting, but this thing is only US-specific.

True, although since the arrival of the internet I'd say the UK/US charts and our tastes are becoming similar.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 3rd September 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

Are the plays worldwide plays though?

+Quote this post
SLlewellyn
post 3rd September 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 13,126

Interesting topic of discussion, certainly. I agree that "Get Lucky" isn't half as overplayed now as I thought it would be back in 2013. I'd say "Blurred Lines" and "Wake Me Up" are still very much 'around', but thankfully Daft Punk's has gone from great to overplayed back to great again.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 4th September 2015, 09:11 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

'Get Lucky' is still in the lower reaches of the Airplay chart (at number 165 on its 123rd week on the larger Top 200 list) but while it was played 835 times last week its audience was only just over 5 million which suggests it is mainly getting plays on smaller stations with low listening figures.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 08:36 AM