BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Damon Albarn: Taylor "doesn't write her own songs", causing a stir on social media
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 25th January 2022, 08:32 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

There's been a huge storm on social media today as Blur frontman Damon Albarn spoke about Taylor in an interview. He said:

Obviously, any Taylor Swift fan knows how wrong he is and how snobby his comments come across (particularly when he then praises Billie Eilish and Finneas... who co-write with each other lol). Taylor's given a great 1-2 punch of replies:

My feed has been overwhelmingly positive towards Taylor today and it's great that it's not lost on many people how great a songwriter she is - for me she is by far and away the best songwriter around at the moment! Damon apologised below Taylor's tweet:

The backtracking tearsmile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
London
post 25th January 2022, 08:47 PM
Post #2
Group icon
London Boy
User: 21,053

Oh wow.

Firstly, I was about to loose my s**t when I read the first post form Damon. And I was about to bring up Speak Now which she wrote all of it alone etc etc.

Secondly, I love her response. She’s got such sas -intelligent sas - and so endearing (I know I’m biased).

Thirdly, I’m glad he apologised but seriously, think about what you say! I’m glad she has had a lot of support for this.

This post has been edited by London: 25th January 2022, 08:48 PM

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 25th January 2022, 09:50 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

That BOOMER energy from Albarn. Sadly he's always come across as a bit of misogynist and quite arrogant IMO, I can never warm to him in interviews I've seen despite liking a lot of his music projects. This is unmistakably not a good look and yes perhaps it was taken slightly out of context for clickbait but it's clear as day to me this is a 'slipped mask' moment that shows who he really is and what he really thinks. I suspect the apology is heartfelt but to me it reads like he was panicked into it after realising what a dick he looks.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th January 2022, 09:57 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I do love Damon Allbran (as I call him), but he was really out of line there. Plus he's essentially played piñata with the hornet's nest and really pissed off the Taylor Swift fans. 😆

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 25th January 2022, 11:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

I forgot that he existed.

+Quote this post
London
post 25th January 2022, 11:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
London Boy

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 25 2022, 09:57 PM) *
I do love Damon Allbran (as I call him), but he was really out of line there. Plus he's essentially played piñata with the hornet's nest and really pissed off the Taylor Swift fans. 😆

Omg I love this. I’ve got an image of Swifties tracking him down with pitchforks and torches

+Quote this post
London
post 25th January 2022, 11:53 PM
Post #7
Group icon
London Boy

This article sums it up perfectly I think (really worth a read):

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/...-that?_amp=true

‘After centuries of women being told they couldn’t possibly have written/painted/invented/solved whatever it was they had written/painted/invented/solved, that some man must have done it for them, anyone publicly claiming, with no shred of evidence, that a professional singer-songwriter doesn’t actually write her songs deserves what’s coming to him. Especially when the artist is Taylor Swift.’ Absolutely this…

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 26th January 2022, 12:28 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

His response to the Taylor tweet seems like he's blaming the article for reducing a conversation about writing songs in the industry to clickbait. I don't know, even if that's the case it's pretty silly to imply Taylor doesn't write songs given... everything around her. His point about co-writing from that article is... perhaps valid at times but not for Swift lol.

all the young 'uns acting like this is the only thing he's known for on Twitter is a bit immature but what else'd you expect from stan culture

did enjoy nearly everyone lining up to defend her on this though, up to and including the president-elect of Chile

+Quote this post
London
post 26th January 2022, 11:40 AM
Post #9
Group icon
London Boy

QUOTE(Izzy 💀 @ Jan 26 2022, 12:28 AM) *
I don't know, even if that's the case it's pretty silly to imply Taylor doesn't write songs given... everything around her. His point about co-writing from that article is... perhaps valid at times but not for Swift lol.

Good point !

I did enjoy nearly everyone lining up to defend her on this though, up to and including the president-elect of Chile

Lol - me too.

I saw on my way to work this morning that this has made the front page of the Metro today. Ooops. I bet he’s regretting making those comments - he’s really not coming off well from this.

+Quote this post
London
post 26th January 2022, 03:50 PM
Post #10
Group icon
London Boy

I’ve just seen a lot of the abuse posted by some Taylor fans eek. Like I totally get that the comments were frustrating and unfair. I think it’s right to defend female artists against inequality but I don’t really see the sense in fighting fire with fire and sending vile abuse in return. Hardcore Swifties they go cray cray mad.gif nono.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 27th January 2022, 10:48 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I just don’t trust anything in those articles. So much of journalism is about baiting people and that could be exactly what is happening here to Taylor and her fans imo. We have no idea whether Damon really said that or not - I think his reply seems genuine, no reason to think it wouldn’t be.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 27th January 2022, 12:04 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Surely he said something? Like why would LA Times just invent him dissing Taylor.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 27th January 2022, 12:31 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

The article goes into him preferring the writing style of Billie Eilish to Taylor Swift which tracks, really, he and Billie have far more similar writing styles than him and Taylor. It really does seem like an offhand comment as part of a conversation that the article writers and Taylor both exploited for a media storm. It's kinda necessary as not enough people know how the music industry works and don't look at credits but... nuance is lost on too many.

I also think his reply seems genuine.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 27th January 2022, 06:22 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

he completely contradicted himself and as per most old white men, don't know what their talking about.

Loves Billie's writing, though most of her material is co-written with her brother, which he acknowledges but tarnishes Taylor with not a writer.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 28th January 2022, 01:17 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Albarn is such a moron, and has been since 1991, its the same as the Gallaghers, promo for them is making some idiotic controversial comment
It's all PR to grab some attention cos they know controversy sells and even bad press sells, bad press is better than no press
Guess his latest album flopped and needed some more headlines.

PS love how Aaron Dressler made a very heartfelt post about Taylor <3

+Quote this post
London
post 28th January 2022, 06:27 PM
Post #16
Group icon
London Boy

QUOTE(Bjork @ Jan 28 2022, 01:17 PM) *
Aaron Dressler made a very heartfelt post about Taylor <3

Yes, me too heart.gif

I think I agree with what you’ve written here. And even if the comment was made in the context of talking about something else, he obviously still said it.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 28th January 2022, 07:39 PM
Post #17
Group icon

Aaron Dessner Not sure why you @Damonalbarn would try to discredit Taylor's brilliant songwriting but as someone who has gotten to press record around her ...your statements couldn't be further from the truth...you're obviously completely clueless as to her actual writing and work process

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 28th January 2022, 07:40 PM
Post #18
Group icon

Antonoff and Dessner defend Taylor: https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/ja...ntroversy.html/

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 31st January 2022, 02:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I must say that whilst I do believe it was hopefully out of context, I do think it's odd to think that Taylor doesn't write her own stuff - she has a very consistent style to her way of writing lyrics so there's not really any reason to doubt her involvement.

+Quote this post
London
post 31st January 2022, 04:41 PM
Post #20
Group icon
London Boy

That’s a good point although I do wonder how many Taylor songs he’s actually really listened to.

This post has been edited by London: 31st January 2022, 04:42 PM

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 02:04 PM