BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'True Blue' • album discussion, 3rd album | 1986
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Hotlady
post 21st December 2020, 06:51 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586

1. True Blue
2. Open Your Heart
3.Live To Tell
4.La Isla Bonita
5.Where The Party
6.White Heart
7.Jimmy Jimmy
8.Papa Don't Preach
9.Love Make The World Go Round

I just love the song off that album.

This post has been edited by Hotlady: 21st December 2020, 06:53 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 21st December 2020, 09:23 PM
Post #22
Group icon
User: 13,007

I can see why 'Love Makes The World Go Round' would've been pencilled as lead single. It's gloriously uplifting pop and would have been a huge radio smash. Obviously the actual era went on to be bigger than anyone's expectations regardless, but yeah, I can see why it was considered as a single in the early days of the album's conception!

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 22nd December 2020, 07:00 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

love reading the stories behind the songs...

was reading how La Isla Bonita was originally a song that had been offered to Michael Jackson for his Bad album but rejected
well it's not that different to his Liberian Girl song to be fair...

Open Your Heart had been written for Cyndi Lauper and originally called Follow Your Heart

Live to Tell was a Leonard instrumental intended for a film score that got rejected and Papa Don't Preach was an Elliott song

so many rejects

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 3rd January 2021, 12:33 AM
Post #24
Group icon

rotf.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 3rd January 2021, 10:22 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Omg. The subject of that song is the same age as me. 🤯

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 17th January 2021, 07:13 PM
Post #26
Group icon

Onto this one today and Madonna's first masterpiece album~

1. Open Your Heart
2. Papa Don't Preach
3. La Isla Bonita
4. Live to Tell
5. Where's the Party
6. True Blue
7. Love Makes the World Go Round
8. White Heat
9. Jimmy Jimmy

The singles from this album are some of her absolute best. I always held Open Your Heart as the favourite from it, but I think Papa Don't Preach is forever edging closer and closer to taking its crown! Right now, I have kept the former on top because of my affections for it over the years. Both are brilliantly crafted pop songs exploring great themes with simplicity and charm. La Isla Bonita is another special song. It really hit me one time when I was pining after someone that wasn't quite nearby to me and the song made me think of what life could be like being miles away and in love. The scorching hotness of the song is often imitated but never matched. Then Live To Tell is such a special moment on the album. A complete stop-you-in-your-tracks moment where she commands you to listen. The beautiful vocals, powerful lyrics and cinematic vibe of the song is something special.

Where's the Party ranks as my favourite album track! I find it totally joyous and in an album where I find so much escapism, this is one of the tracks that allows that most effectively. My favourite lyric of the whole album is "I'm not living in fear, I'm just living in chaos" - it's such a great lyric about finding a way out of the doom and gloom and even if it's chaos around you, embrace it and find that special party place. wub.gif Also "Don't want to grow old too fast, don't want to let the system get me down. I've got to find a way to make the good times last" is another one that sticks with me. Another great album track is found in Love Makes the World Go Round. No idea how the era would've played with this as the lead but I think it could've been a giant success too given how universal and radio-friendly it is! A great song, and although quite saccharine, it toes the line between cheesy and poptastic well and is just on the right side. Another joyous, escapist moment on a great, fun-filled album! True Blue the song has a sweet, endearing charm to it. She has rarely sounded more carefree and sprightly. I am not the song's biggest fan but it is the perfect representation of the album's sound and a great title track. White Heat is one of the few filler moments on the album, although I do like it. The film inspirations are cute and a nice touch and it adds to the retro vibes of the album. Another filler is Jimmy Jimmy and even though it's ranked last here, I do still enjoy it but something has to be bottom! </3

What an album! Her first real masterpiece of an album and one that still sounds as incredible today as i'm sure it did 35(!) years ago! They really don't do it like this anymore. Right down to the iconic album cover (her best one). Pure love!

Albums ranking
1. True Blue
2. Madonna
3. Like A Virgin

+Quote this post
vibe
post 17th January 2021, 07:37 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

WTP would have also been a hit if released as the 6th single.

This album is def her first masterpiece.

The singles, videos, artworks are all ICONIC

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 17th January 2021, 08:32 PM
Post #28
Group icon

QUOTE(vibe @ Jan 17 2021, 07:37 PM) *
WTP would have also been a hit if released as the 6th single.

This album is def her first masterpiece.

The singles, videos, artworks are all ICONIC

Agred with all of this! I would have loved 'Where's the Party' to have been a single, with a completely fun-filled party music video wub.gif

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 17th January 2021, 10:20 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Pretty much agree with every word there Bal - although Papa Don't Preach was always my favourite, only to be overtaken by Open Your Heart in recent years - but that does mean that I think my ranking matches yours almost exactly. Live To Tell and La Isla Bonita are pretty equal in my affections so they could switch on any given day.

Your albums rank is in the right order too so far happy.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 21st January 2021, 07:11 PM
Post #30
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Here is my track by track review of Madonna's 3rd studio album 'True Blue'. I have posted one of these before, just with a few tweaks, so enjoy.

Papa Don't Preach
Well let's kick things off with an almighty BANG! with a perfect serving of 80's pop, from its opening into of suspense-laden strings arrangement, that already shows not only a different sound, but a more mature side to Madonna than her previous 2 offerings. Madonna's vocals are really strong (probably the strongest she's ever sounded up to this point). The song's taboo subject matter is what really distinguishes the song, as its dramatic production gives it a sense of urgency & sensitivity, all the makings of a classic Madonna track.

Open Your Heart
Another belting track that is more of a straight forward love song with a continuous percussion filled structure with some well paced grooves & a memorable chorus, while the verses are a little weak in the presence of the music & chorus, everything balances out neatly into another brilliant number.

White Heat
This is our first foray into the non-single tracks on the album with its slick mid-tempo groove that samples dialogue from the 1949 movie of the same name & used effectively here & adds an extra kick to this really strong track that fits right into the brilliance of this album.

Live To Tell
The album's lead single that offers a break from the up-tempo numbers with this slow brooding yet gorgeous ballad with prominent percussion & keyboard, synth, and electric guitar flourishes throughout, this has to be one of her boldest lead singles of her career, a very risky move that thankfully paid off as this has to be not only one of the most riveting songs on the album, but of her career also.

Where's The Party
Back to the more upbeat sound now with this feel-good anthem which celebrates the many virtues of escapism from the mundane. Completely fun, frothy & very catchy with its joyful production, this is easily the best non-single track on the album & a firm standout moment.

True Blue
The fun & campy title track that's probably the weakest out of all the singles on here which feels very paint by numbers, but the 50's dop-wop throwback style does give it an extra kick that gives it that authentic feel with some brilliant upbeat melodies that makes this a pretty fun time overall.

La Isla Bonita
Up next is this little Cuban/Pop masterpiece, that's probably the crowning moment of this album, a feast of percussion, Spanish guitar, and great vocals from Madonna. It’s a simple song, but the switch to this genre really makes this a TIMELESS CLASSIC. Imagine how different this track would have sounded if Michael Jackson hadn’t turned it down initially for his ‘Bad’ album. Thankfully Madonna snapped it up, tweaked the lyrics & the rest is history.

Jimmy, Jimmy
Well every album has to have one...a DUD! that is. A fast paced, uptempo, lowkey filler track with a fun hook which quickly becomes overused, along with some enjoyable flashy synths. On the whole it just fails to go anywhere interesting or exciting.

Love Makes The World Go Round
The album closes with this carnival sounding track which has a simplistic yet well-intentioned clarion call for unity and understanding. Originally intended as the lead single (THANKFULLY it wasnt) as it's firmly album material & does end the album nicely even if it's not much outside of its lyrical content, plus could have be a bit shorter in length as this tends to drag on a bit.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th January 2021, 07:35 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

'Papa Don't Preach' remains my favourite but all five singles are so strong and special in their own way. There's a distinction between the singles and album tracks but I think they're all worthy of a place on the tracking list and complete the fun, escapist vibe of the album. I agree that 'Where's the Party' is top album track, it's got hooks galore! The 'You Can Dance' version is my go-to.

Found this on Twitter earlier:

+Quote this post
vibe
post 28th January 2021, 06:59 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Ha she really studied the video

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 28th January 2021, 08:54 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

Live to Tell is still the best song in the album in my opinion and might be my #1 Madonna song up with Into the Groove

not sure if back in the day Live to Tell was regarded as the 1st single from the album... when it was released I kinda saw it as a stepping.stone single between albums/soundtrack single... don't think Live to Tell was released and was like oh this is single 1 from. my new album True Blue, but maybe I'm wrong

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 28th January 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I think 'Live to Tell' was written specifically for At Close Range but was decided to launch the album with too. It was definitely part of the album by the time of the single's release as Madonna was going to name the album after it. 'Papa Don't Preach' was the first single released that had come from the actual album sessions and the album was released a couple of weeks after, so I can see a case for it being considered the lead single, especially when pretty much every other Madonna album has been released off the back of one single.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 31st January 2021, 12:04 PM
Post #35
Group icon

QUOTE(Liam.k. @ Jan 27 2021, 07:35 PM) *
Found this on Twitter earlier:

First time seeing this too! mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 9th February 2021, 04:55 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I was so confused to see "Jimmy Jimmy" trending on Twitter but turns out it's something football related lol.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 9th February 2021, 10:07 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

i've honestly been obsessed with 'live to tell' this week for some reason... like not triggered by anything just... its such a great song?

+Quote this post
Dante77
post 4th March 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 122,900

Such a brilliant pop album (and surely the greatest of Madonna's album covers) - this was the album that I first heard when I was a little boy. The love I have for La Isla never really went away. My top 5 are near-perfect pop songs...

1. La Isla Bonita
2. Live To Tell
3. Papa Don't Preach
4. True Blue
5 Open Your Heart
6. Jimmy Jimmy
7. Love Makes The World Go Round
8 Where's The Party
9 White Heat

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th March 2021, 05:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon

QUOTE(Dante77 @ Mar 4 2021, 09:33 AM) *
Such a brilliant pop album (and surely the greatest of Madonna's album covers) - this was the album that I first heard when I was a little boy. The love I have for La Isla never really went away. My top 5 are near-perfect pop songs...

I think i'd agree with the bold part! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th May 2021, 11:51 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

This photo popped up on my Facebook feed and it's instantly one of my favourite Madonna photos. A stunning, classic Hollywood look. heart.gif

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:45 AM