BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2018 WORLD CUP WILL BE IN ENGLAND
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post 3rd December 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

This is where all the bidding nations rank in the world in terms of press freedom

3 Netherlands
12 Japan
14 Belgium
18 Australia
19 UK
20 USA
39 Spain
40 Portugal
42 South Korea
121 Qatar
140 Russia

Well done FIFA
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh
post 3rd December 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #42
Group icon
✌🏻️
User: 43

jheeeez. lols at the Sun calling it a 'fix', a bit hypocritical of us, no? laugh.gif

Tbh, put it this way. Russia has the money, power and resources to build fantastic state of the art stadiums, and the ability to pull off what I think will be a fantastic world cup. England, quite frankly, don't. Eight years down the line, will our country still be fit enough to hold such an extravagant event? I doubt it.

& yes.. it'll be held in Eastern Europe.. but every part of the world has it's problems, surely? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 3rd December 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #43
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

Josh, England has EVERYTHING in place to hold a World Cup. The stadiums, economy (will most likely be different in 8 years time), the affordability, transport links and accommodation. The problem is FIFA don't like England, or the English media. Apparently Blatter told all 22 voters "ignore the evil media" or something along those lines just before the voters voted. The fact is FIFA is a flawed organisation and it has already been proved by the BBC and the Times. The media UNDOUBTEDLY cost us the small chance we had of hosting the World Cup, but they have also done a lot of long term good. I think a lot of big nations who have all the right infrastructure in place will be put off bidding for a long time now because with the current voting system, it is so flawed.

Russia can easily build stadiums, but England already have them in place. Old Trafford, Wembley, Emirates, 2012 Olympic Stadium, Anfield etc. - they're some of the best stadiums in the world and they are all easily accessed. I don't buy the fact that Russia's bid was the best...if it was say Russia and the USA that had been chosen to host the world cup then not a lot of questions would be asked, but QATAR...I seriously cannot see the logic.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 4th December 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #44
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Australia really would have been a great place for 2022. They've just made their first world cup, Football is becoming bigger and bigger over there. It would have been great PR and taken the heat off the accusations of corruption.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 4th December 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #45
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

Well I thought England and Australia had the best bods on paper, yet both only got 2 votes each - something smells very rotten here.

FIFA can f*** themselves frankly and the sooner Blatter's presidency reign is over the better cos he is an absolute cock.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 4th December 2010, 02:02 AM
Post #46
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Australia just got two votes as well mellow.gif

Out of curiosity, what/were were the stadiums in the Aussie bid?

EDIT: I just did my googling, and the Stadium in Brisbane is also known as the Suncorp Stadium, and i've been there ohmy.gif I can attest it's a bloody good venue. I've been to Old Trafford and Hampden and the Suncorp Stadium is better than both of them.

+Quote this post
BOOBA GRANDE
post 4th December 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #47
Group icon
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
User: 5,591

So we are the hosts of the Football World Cup. nocheer.gif

To win the right of hosting Winter Olympics and the Football World Cup is of course the privilege, but at the same time I guess the main task of it was to redirect the public attention from the real problems in the country to some one-off events, even the huge ones. I don't appreciate it, especially watching how useless some of the stadiums and airports are going to be after the Game, and watching how much of money is going to be spent on it instead of more adequate and socially strained problems here doesn't add any optimism too.

At the same time it's not so bad: basically Moscow and St.-Petersburg are ready, and the new stadium and huge airport are already being built in St.-Petersburg, no matter will here be the World Cup or not. These are the strategic projects which don't concern the WC at all. I'm not sure about some other cities - but what can you do?

As for state media control - it's not so bad either: yes, TV is absolutely monopolised by the Government, but TV is the past century anyway, and its audience is falling from year to year, especially in the young people sector. But the Internet is free, papers are free, radio stations too. If you want to know the real current state in the country - you are able to get it.

I'm undecided at the moment. I guess one of the main *global* problems of Russia is the difficulties in fast transport connections between the cities. If the result of the World Cup is going to be the huge developing of transport infrastructure of at least of the European part of the country - then go for it I'd say.

+Quote this post
Viper*
post 5th December 2010, 01:50 AM
Post #48
Group icon
I Just Can't Feel The Same About You Anymore.
User: 25

QUOTE(Tyron @ Dec 2 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Must the sour grapes prevail? People need to accept that we aren't the best at everything - and that the media in this country tries its best to f*** these things up for us. Russia (and Qatar) can promise FIFA a financially prosperous World Cup backed by oil money, and moreover a media that isn't ridiculously hostile to them to the point of accusing the voting panel of corruption the week before the vote!

THIS.

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Dec 2 2010, 04:57 PM) *
We were never going to get it when the Times, BBC and Mail behaved like they did, and when we don't (and won't) have a national stadium whose pitch can look decent after 5 games in relatively quick succession. Did we deserve it? Maybe. Were we going to get it? Not a chance. To be 4th is still a huge disappointment though!

OH AND THIS.

Both excellent points.

We did indeed have the best presentations but the arrogance of "BRING FOOTBALL HOME" rang too loud. The media is the number one reason why we DON'T have the world cup and it's not at ALL a surprise. What sucks, is coming last, toa technically flawed and weak bid by Netherlands/Belguim. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Damon
post 5th December 2010, 04:49 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,784

I honestly don't care about the decision right now, maybe I will when it gets to 2018. Found it quite sad though that there was an audience watching the TV in the middle of a shopping centre in Peterborough during it, while I was shopping with a mate. And then later on in McDonalds some lads came in and started going on about how they hate Russia and want to bomb them, so funny.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 5th December 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #50
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(The Viper @ Dec 5 2010, 01:50 AM) *
THIS.
OH AND THIS.

Both excellent points.

We did indeed have the best presentations but the arrogance of "BRING FOOTBALL HOME" rang too loud. The media is the number one reason why we DON'T have the world cup and it's not at ALL a surprise. What sucks, is coming last, toa technically flawed and weak bid by Netherlands/Belguim. sleep.gif

But the media have done us a favour. Yes they probably did cost us that slight chance, but Russia were always going to win. The fact is their is an agenda against England with the most powerful people in football. It could be down to arrogance, but I don't believe it is. Surely the media should have nothing to do with the bid if it is democratic? I mean, what actually did the media have to do with our bid? Nothing! Our bid was as good as Russia's and it does seem as though a lot of the presentations and technical reports really do count for nothing.

FIFA is and outdated concept which is too powerful and it needs breaking up, or a different man in charge. The need for goal-line technology is greater than ever, and Blatter's reluctance to use it is highly arrogant. I have no problem with the World Cup being in Russia, but QATAR. Eyebrows must seriously be raised. FIFA have given the World Cup to a country that has never qualified for the World Cup, has poor human rights laws, and is near enough 50 degrees in the heat. There is no logic, and it is quite clear to me imo, that members will have taken bribes - just like it has already been proved that members are willing to.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th December 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

I don't particularly resent Russia getting 2018. After all, they've not staged it before. I would have been far more resentful if one of the other two bids had won. However, for England to get just two votes (one of them, presumably, from the English representative) was pretty shocking.

2022 should have gone to Australia. I would like to see a rule that all bidders must have qualified for at least one of the two tournaments immediately before the bids close which would have ruled out Qatar. The other three countries (Japan, South Korea, USA) have all hosted the tournament relatively recently.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 6th December 2010, 08:58 AM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

I think there should be a rule where no country should host it twice when there are other good bids from countries that have never hosted it. So that would count England out as we had it in '66.

Reading this and other forums over the past few days, the grumbling is astonishing. You'd think we have a God-given right to host it. We don't. Other bids were better and people need to accept that and stop blaming the press, BBC, Fifa, Blatter etc etc.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: 6th December 2010, 09:01 AM

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th December 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Queen of Soon

If you learned to read Chris, you'd see more people are irritated by Qatar than Russia.

We didn't bid for 2022, we bid for 2018.

The biggest wtf is Australia being snubbed. Oceania has never hosted a contest either.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 6th December 2010, 09:12 PM
Post #54
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

I am just so glad it's not gonna be in the Netherlands.

+Quote this post
BOOBA GRANDE
post 7th December 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #55
Group icon
You don't have to be fabulous to be good
User: 5,591

QUOTE(XXXO @ Dec 7 2010, 12:12 AM) *
I am just so glad it's not gonna be in the Netherlands.

One of semi-finals is apparently going to be held in my city, and I'm not exactly happy with it. laugh.gif But who knows where I'm going to be in 2018...

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 7th December 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #56
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Dec 6 2010, 08:58 AM) *
I think there should be a rule where no country should host it twice when there are other good bids from countries that have never hosted it. So that would count England out as we had it in '66.

Reading this and other forums over the past few days, the grumbling is astonishing. You'd think we have a God-given right to host it. We don't. Other bids were better and people need to accept that and stop blaming the press, BBC, Fifa, Blatter etc etc.

Erm, no they weren't? In terms of 2018, Russia's was seriously flawed. Netherlands/Belgium equally so in a different way, and Spain/Portugal had a deathly dull presentation. As already noted, we had an infrastructure and existing setup unrivalled by anyone other than possibly Spain, who are in deeper financial $h!t than we are. Get your facts right... on second thoughts, you're obviously trying to aggravate the sensible people on the forum so it may be better to leave the adult conversation now.

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 7th December 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

QUOTE(Silas @ Dec 6 2010, 07:39 PM) *
If you learned to read Chris, you'd see more people are irritated by Qatar than Russia.

We didn't bid for 2022, we bid for 2018.

The biggest wtf is Australia being snubbed. Oceania has never hosted a contest either.

Yes I agree that Qatar s a very odd decision but they have the money to build the stadiums and have said they'll all be air-conditioned.

+Quote this post
bsbresource
post 26th January 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #58
Group icon
New Entry
User: 12,880

Happy about the UK. Not so happy about Qatar. the decision is bordering on ridiculous IMO

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 22nd April 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #59
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Wonder if Qatar will work as a World Cup venue.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 21st August 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #60
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Don't know how many people read the Daily Mash, but this article about Qatar 2022 made me laugh.

Qatar to create new ice age for 2022 World Cup
15-08-13
QATAR plans to trigger an ice age to cool the Earth sufficiently for it to host the World Cup.

A 2022 World Cup footballer hunting for prostitutes
The scheme, which will reduce the Earth’s temperature by 32 degrees and leave 70 per cent of it uninhabitable, has been approved by FIFA who said it was preferable to the administrative headache of changing the location.

The plan will wrench the Earth from its axis, causing the seas to freeze over and turning most of Europe into a wasteland inhabited by fur-clad barbarians fighting packs of feral bull-seals, though the Scots are not expected to notice.

A spokesman for the Qatari Football Federation said: “The pathetic remnants of humanity which cling to life will be more dependent on oil than ever.

“Also the survivors of our heavily branded Qatarstrophe – and do not even think about using that name without clearance from the rights owners – will come to our stadiums for food, shelter and the cheering spectacle of homosexuals fighting cave bears at the opening ceremony.”

Competing nations fear that the freezing, potentially lethal conditions will make an attractive passing game impossible.

Former Stoke manager Tony Pulis, whose tough-tackling long-ball game would suit the unforgiving Arctic tundra perfectly, is tipped to take over as England manager.

Following approval of the plan, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said: “My work here is complete.”

Pausing only to tear the flesh mask from his inhuman crystalline features, he then climbed into a waiting spaceship and departed for the Crab Nebula.

biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 08:08 PM