BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

39 Pages V  « < 37 38 39  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top of the Pops on BBC4, Part Three - Now into 1989
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Steve201
post Aug 2 2020, 01:39 AM
Post #761
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Top of the Pops 13/7/1989 presented by Bruno Brookes & Jackie Brambles

Danny Wilson The Second Summer Of Love No27
Bette Midler Wind Beneath My Wings (Video) No9^^

De La Soul Say No Go (Video) No22
Michael Jackson Liberian Girl (Video) No18 NE

Waterfront Cry No25
Gloria Estefan Don't Wanna Lose You (Video) No30 NE
Norman Cook Ft M.C.Wildski Blame It On The Bassline (Video) No31
Kirsty MacColl Days (Video) No28

L.A Mix Ft Jazzi P Get Loose (Video) No29
Simply Red A New Flame (Video) No33
***No1 Soul II Soul Ft Caron Wheeler Back To Life (Video)***No1 4th Week
Bobby Brown On Our Own (Video) No8 NE*

We have legend Bruno Brookes returning to the studio tonight joined by the lovely Jackie Brambles on only her second outing.

We start with the wonderful Danny Wilson performing live in the studio. Danny is best known for big hit Marys Prayer from last year. Some lovely use of white gloves in this performance. This was the first single from the bands (yes Danny Wilson is a band not a person) second album 'Bebop Moptop'.

Next up we have the video for the first Bette Midler song to chart and it was rising up the hit parade due to its feature in the movie 'Beeches'. Another video now at 22 by De La Soul, great band and great to see them having a number of hits in 1989.

The 40-31 had notable new entries for The Cult, The Blow Monkeys and Simply Red. Following this we get our third video in a row with the world exclusive of the new Michael Jackson video for Liberian Girl. I've lost count how many singles we have had off the 'Bad' album now but the campaign began in the summer of 1987 so its two years old by this stage. there's so many famous names in this short video from Dan Ackroyd to Whoopie Goldberg. Ah Jackie clears it up its the SEVENTH single off the album, we will be nearly at the first single off 'Black Or White' soon if he doesn't watch himself.

Next up finally we have a studio performance by a band called 'Waterfront' at 25 with 'Cry'. Its a fairly low tempo affair but a nice change in direction for 1989. They also loved a sax solo back in the 80s. Waterfront were a Welsh pop duo comprising of Phil Cilian and Chris Duffy who left the Cardiff band 'The Official Secrets'. The single peaked in the top 10 of the US Billboard chart, higher than it did in the UK top 40 where it peaked at 17.

We are back to the videos again with the new entry for the new Gloria Estefan single without the Miami Sound Machine at the moment.'Dont Wanna Lose You' is the first single from Glorias debut solo album 'Cuts Both Ways'.

Next up we see a glimpse of Fatboy Slim for the first time as ex-Housemartin Norman Cook makes the top 40 with dance/rap single 'Blame It On The Baseline. He would return to the chart in 1990 with another big dancefloor hit laying the foundations for some genius hits in the next 15 years competing t=with the very different genre from ex-bandmates Beautiful South.

Next up is Kirsty MacColl with her first appearance in the chart since the Christmas classic 'Fairytale of New York' two Christmases ago. She has released her version of The Kinks classic 'Days'. And sounds very good on it to. Ill always have a soft spot for Kirsty though, RIP. I really like the video for this song the way its part cartoon, part real and done in the vintage way. But please can we have more performances in the studio??

My wish didn't come true as we have another video of LA Mix which sounds like nearly every other dance/rap track of this era, roll on when the dance beat of the early 90s takes precedence with Black Box soon enough.

Next up another new video of the new Simply Red single, the classic 'A New Flame'. This should definitely climb into the top 20 soon enough, its a classic. It wouldn't be until the new decade when he would benefit from these great songs by hitting the top spot with plenty of MOR hits which a pretty decent, always had a soft spot for Mick.

Next up its the top 10 selling singles in the country that week. And again Soul to Soul are there for a 4th week at the top spot, great track. That Sonia song looks like the biggest gainer though to take their crown or maybe Bobby Brown or Pet Shop Boys will move up the chart?

To finish the show you've guessed it we get a look at this weeks highest new entry by Bobby Brown straight in at number 8 and gaining due to being used on the new Ghostbusters 2 movie, great film and always loved this track from it even if it is typically 80s. I actually thought the sequel to Ghostbusters was better than the original, maybe that's just me.

But what a strange show 3 studio performances and 10 video showings, is it just harder to get performers in July or is this what its like in the 90s episodes going forward? The studio audience cant have enjoyed it much and I am not a fan.

This post has been edited by Steve201: Aug 2 2020, 01:45 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 2 2020, 08:48 AM
Post #762
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Back To Life, Librarian Girl, Second Summer Of Love, Say No Go, Dont Wanna Lose You, Days, On Our Own, A New Flame all great. Caron Wheeler fresh from Afrodiziak with her co-member the late fab Miss Claudia (Fontaine) who backed every big UK pop star in the 80's and 90's, and was on Top Of The Pops here there and everywhere, both of them backing Beat Surrender (The Jam), Everyday I Write The Book (Costello), and crucially Nelson Mandela (Specials). Pause for breath, tracks by Howard Jones, sam Brown, Aswad, maxi Priest, Japan, Gillan, Aztrec Camera. breathe again, and Miss Claudia went on to EMF, Hothouse Flowers, Neneh Cherry, Beatmasters, Pink Floyd, Robbie Williams, and Madness, Heaven 17, Claudia Brucken, Tim Finn, Squeeze, Texas, Joe Cocker, Paul Weller and Marilyn. Marilyn is hoping to get one of her final performances released, on the ballad, a great track called Breathe.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Aug 2 2020, 09:17 PM
Post #763
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

Top of the Pops 20/7/1989 Presented by Gary Davies

London Boys London Nights No2
Eartha Kitt & Bronski Beat Cha Cha Heels (Video) No39 NE

Monie Love Grandpas Party No16
Jive Bunny & the Mixmasters Swing the Mood (Video) No31 NE
The Blow Monkeys Ft Sylvia Tella Choice? No27

Bobby Brown On Our Own (Video) No4
Doug Lazy Let It Roll (Video) No36 NE
Rufus & Chaka Khan Ain't Nobody (Video) No6

***No1 Sonia You'll Never Stop Me From Loving You***No1 55,000
The Cult Edie (Ciao Baby) (Video) No32

Gary is by himself in the studio tonight so he gets the help of some studio audience members to present the London Boys performing their top 3 hit 'London Nights' for the second time this month. Especially like the chorus to this, it's quite infectious!

Next up the first video of the night for Eartha Kitt and a welcome return to the top 40 for Bronski Beat for the first time since 'Cmon Cmon' charted at number 20 in March 1986. Its Kitts first top 40 hit since December 1983 and her third in all which I was shocked to hear. Does any Buzzjacker know anything about this release? There's nothing much online about it even though it was a top 40 hit.

Next up we get a second studio performance from Monie Love which gets the dance floor jumping! Loving the more audience views we are gettin these days!

The 40-31 countdown with new entries from Doug Lazy, Bronski Beat & unfortunately we have that Jive Bunny making his first impression on the uk chart of the year, we would have enough of that wee cute bunny by the end of the year, for me it symbolised how the charts had come to a standstill with the acid house/SAW fodder and needed a change. It did sell bucketload though tbf!

Next up in the studio we have a climber by the Blow Monkeys and the gorgeous Sylvia Tella. This was a single taken off the bands upcoming Singles Collection of the same name. They would also have a second single later in the year with Tella and her introduction as singer showed how the band had went from 'new wave' to dance act by the late 80s.

After the 30-11 countdown we get another viewing of the cool video for Bobby Browns Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack 'On My Own'. I kind of thought they would have cut this as we get a glimpse of the future US president 30 years earlier. Not nice viewing Trump Tower knowing what was to come. We have no such luck though!

Next up another video of the new entry at 36 for Dance Dj Doug Lazy. Love the video for this with all the old film dance scenes.

Yet another video next with the 1989 remix of Rufus and Chaka Khans classic 'Ain't Nobody'. Wonder why they didn't just show the studio performance of jus from a few weeks back. At any rate it's the third showing in one way or another. I'm really starting to notice the lack of studio performance now, think it's just they are trying to fit so many songs in. I guess videos were t seen that much so it was no big deal back then but it's really noticeable now watching.

We have a new number one now after 4 weeks for 'Back To Life' it drops 2 and Sonia reaches the top spot with her first ever single release. Thankfully we get a studio performance but not sure why she has a male singer in white trousers dancing beside her? Looks like the SAW way of doing things just keeps going from strength to strength, think this may be their last number one though after 5 long years of dominance going back to the first number one for Dead Or Alive in 1985.

As Gary introduces Sonia's two sister in the crowd he does a clever link to the final video of the evening from The Cult. Probably one of my favourite discoveries of the repeats, decent metal music!! Edie (Caio Baby) is the second single from the bands fourth album 'Sonic Temple'

This post has been edited by Steve201: Aug 2 2020, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Aug 4 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #764
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

I was surprised to see that Donald Trump had a cameo in an 80s music video.

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Aug 4 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #765
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

I didn't realise he was in it either but of course it's happened before 3 years later when he was in the Home Alone 2 movie this time!

+Quote Post
Steve201
post 17 hours ago
Post #766
Shakin Stevens
   No Gallery Pics

Top of the Pops 27/7/1989 presented by Mark Goodier & Simon Parkin

The Primitives Sick Of It No33 NE
Gloria Estefan Don't Wanna Lose You (Video) No6

Inner City Do You Love What You Feel (Video) No 28 NE
Kirsty MacColl Days No14

**Breakers Gun Better Days (Video) No35 NE
**Breakers Paul McCartney This One (Video) No37 NE
**Breakers The Stone Roses She Bangs The Drums (Video) No36 NE

Simple Minds Kick It In (Video) No23 NE
Bros Too Much No2 NE*

Simply Red A New Flame (Video) No17
***No1 Sonia Youll Never Stop Me Loving You***No1 Week 2 64,000 sales
Alice Cooper Poison (Video) No34

Simon and Mark presenting tonight and we start with The Primitives and pop/punk band lead by a female singer, the lovely Tracy Tracy believe it or not, a bit like Transvision Vamp. I like this band though and this sort of music which seemed to be very big at this point. This was the first single from second album 'Pure' and although wouldn't reach the heights of the wonderful Crash from debut album 'Lovely' it was still a great pp song. The indie scene in the late 1980s was a strange one but would come into its own in a few years.

As Mark says next up is the wonderful Gloria Estefan the Cuban American starlet just got bigger as the 1980s went on, this song well inside the top 10 at number 6.

The charts from 40-31 have new entries by Wendy and Lucy, Paul McCartney, the Stone Roses, Gun, Alice Cooper and The Primitives. Yes you heard right the first chart entry for the Stone Roses but more from them later in the year....

Next up we have the video for the new Inner City single which is thw 4th from the debut album 'Paradise'. This Detroit based techno band were one of the first techno groups to have an album cross into the main stream. This is no 'Good Life' but its not half bad for the 4th single.

Next up we return to the studio for the wonderful single 'Days' by the one and only Kirsty of Fairytale fame, lovely version of this with her lovely Irish tones. This is one of my favourite singles by Ms MacColl.

The breakers make a welcome return this week featuring some of the aforementioned new entries between 31-40 by Paul McCartney with the second single of his new album 'Flowers In The Dirt', Scottish indie band Gun and the first ever mention and chart hit for legendary Madchester band The Stone Roses with the cracking first single from debut album aptly named after the band themselves. This was actually the 3rd single release following releases of 'Elephant Stone in October 1988 and 'Made Of Stone in February 1989.

What's better after 3 videos of breakers to get another video performance, ah well. This time that's made better by the fact its the new Simple Minds single 'Kick It In'. Its the fourth single from thei bands eigth album 'Street Fighting Years'.

We return to the studio finally next for the highest new entry by Bros returning with the first single of their short awaited second album 'The Time'. This high entries in the chart was becoming the norm for hyped big returning pop acts by this stage. This second album only contained the Goss twins as the band lost bassist Craig Logan from the debut album. Unbelievably this would be the brothers last top 5 single in the UK.

Following the second part of the chart countdown we have another showing of the new Simply Red single 'A New Flame', surely this will climb higher than 17, great track my Mick and the guys.

And finally the number 1 for week number 2 is the delightful Liverpudlian Sonia being propelled by the power of the SAW production team, nice pop track. Have to say is that Stock dancing beside her twice her height, looks ridiculous whoever it is.

After that 28 place highest climb by Jive Bunny I think I may skip the next few weeks as I know whats coming for the top spot for the rest of the summer of 89.

We finish with the metal classic and new entry by Alice Cooper with 'Poison', late 80s metal at its best!!

This post has been edited by Steve201: 17 hours ago

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 37 38 39
Reply to this topicStart new topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th August 2020 - 05:53 PM