BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
48 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Top of the Pops on BBC4, Part Three - Now into 1990
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AcerBen
post Apr 30 2020, 02:13 PM
Post #721
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
Join me on my YouTube channel for a watch-along of two classic episodes of #TOTP - tonight at 7pm!

We'll be watching the shows from 26/01/1995 and 24/05/2002!

https://youtube.com/user/PopUnlimited2015/videos

This post has been edited by AcerBen: Apr 30 2020, 02:13 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Apr 30 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #722
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
Il try my best, saw this on your twitter feed!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post May 2 2020, 12:01 AM
Post #723
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 6/4/1989 Presented by Simon Mayo & Anthea Turner

Brother Beyond Can You Keep A Secret No22
Kon Kan I Beg Your Pardon (Video) No8
Holly Johnson Americanos No14
Paula Abdul Straight Up (Video) No3

**Breakers Cookie Crew Got To Keep On (Video) No37
**Breakers Yello Of Course I'm Lying (Video) No32
**Breakers Roy Orbison She's A Mystery To Me (Video) No27
**Breakers T'Pau Only The Lonely (Video) No34

Coldcut Ft Lisa Stansfield People Hold On No12
Simply Red If You Don't Know Me By Now No19 NE*
Transvision Vamp Baby I Don't Care No16
***No1 Madonna Like A Prayer(Video)***No1 3 Weeks
Inxs Mystify(Video) No21

We start tonight's show with Brother Beyonds current hit single, we all know my thoughts about them. This is the same there's some rhythm and even some guitar playing but it's generally in the shadow of the other big boy band of the time Bros. The 80s hasn't really survived the end of Wham 3 years earlier, roll on 1991 and a boyband from Manchester who would take boybands back to a decent level of output. This however was their last top 30 hit, they would falter on like Bros into 1990 but times changed Beyond them.

Next up we get another viewing of the song at No8 Kon Kan and like I said in the last narrative it's quite a nice mix of dance and something that sounds like indie new order style so obviously sounds quite good. This would be the groups only top 40 hit.

Next following the first part of the chart Holly Johnson returns to perform his new single 'Americanos' which is eccentric as ever in terms of his attire but sounds quite nice with his great voice. This was his second top 5 hit from his No1 album 'Blast'.

Determined to get 'Straight Up' to No1 we now get a viewing of the video for the well established hit single by the future X-Factor judge, not that it's a bad thing as it's a great late 80s slice of pop/rnb. This would be its peak position though.

We have 4 breakers this week from the rap house group Cookie Crew with their third and final top 40 hit. They consist of Susie Banfield & Debbie Pyrce the former a sister of Pasadenas singer Andrew Banfield, Yello with the most random video of the week, T'Pau nearing the end of their chart success era & the wonderful Roy Orbison.

We get another studio performance from the wonderful Coldcut & Lisa Stansfield, this should be a no1 in my honest opinion. Amazingly this would be Coldcuts final top 40 single until August 1997. It wouldn't be Lisa's last one though.

The highest new entry in the chart this week is the wonderful new single by Manchurian chrooner Simply Red AKA Mick Hucknall. This was the second single from the bands 2 millions selling third album 'A New Flame', this was the start of he bands imperial phase. This single was a remake of the song by Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes. This was the second of 10 top 10 singles in the Uk Chart.

Next is one of my favourite tracks of the week Transvision Vamps signature track being performed in the studio 'Baby I Don't Care. This was the first single from the bands second album 'Velveteen'.

We get a third week at the top for Madonna and the wonderful 'Like A Prayer' no one can dethrone her except BBC who keep giving us a piss poor edit of the video, maybe because she never appeared to perform. You can take the pleasure to watch the full video I've added above.

We end with the video for the NE for Inxs and 'Mystify', another goodie from them.

Until next time folks when we have Buzzjacks favourite chart presenter Mark Goodier leading the show!

This post has been edited by Steve201: May 2 2020, 12:31 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post May 2 2020, 02:01 PM
Post #724
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,961
I love that Kon Kan song. The chorus samples 'Rose Garden' by Lynn Anderson which was a top 3 single in 1971.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post May 2 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #725
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I'm afraid my weekly recordings went kaput a few weeks back and I hadnt noticed, so cos I'm a bit anal retentive that way I cant be bothered to record any more TOTP's (Ive still got most of the 80's to copy over onto DVD and watch anyway) so I'll just have to rely on the reviews from hereon biggrin.gif

TBH I pretty much recorded everything onto videotape during the 80's and 90's that I wanted anyway and I still need to transfer all of those to DVD/Bluray - so much obscure stuff that may not be available on youtube.....!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post May 2 2020, 11:37 PM
Post #726
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Well il try and keep you up to date on here.

What do you mean went kaput?

+Quote this post
Steve201
post May 16 2020, 11:15 AM
Post #727
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 13/4/1989 Presented by Mark Goodier

The Cookie Crew Got To Keep On No21
Ten City Devotion No29
T'Pau Only The Lonely No28

INXS Mystify (Video) No16
Fine Young Cannibals Good Thing No19 NE

U2 with BB King When Love Comes To Town (Video) No12 NE*
Paul Simpson Ft Adeva Musical Freedom No22
***No1 The Bangles Eternal Flame***No1 (Video)
Yello Of Course I'm Lying (Video) No23

We have Mark by himself in the studio tonight, the absolute trooper. And to start he introduces the new single by the Cookie Crew. It all sounds very late 80s rap pop dance as hip hop established itself in the mainstream. I've went full circle with this and think it's went from dated to actually cool again with the samples and rapping.

Next we have a climber from American band Ten City this looked like it was going to be very smooth rnb but even bands like this have elements of rhythmic dance in then by 1989. They came from the Chicago house scene. This sounds ok I quite like the house elements. Apparently they were one of the first bands to produce deep house helped by Marshall Jefferson.

After the countdown from 40-31 we have T'Pau in the studio performing their new single. They haven't been in the studio in a year so their record company must have been demanding a hit by this stage. You can tell as well as the song has some nice upbeat chords and lifts within the track and it's def one of their best since the wonderful 'China In Your Hand'. Think this may be their last hit and totp performance though.

Next up as Mark says one of the biggest bands in the world in 1989 with the video for their new single the fantastic 'Mystify'. Sounds excellent. This is the Australian bands 4th of 18 top 40 hits.

Next in the studio the wonderful Fine Young Cannibals with a second scorcher of a single in a row. They are on fire this era so why'd they fall from grace so quickly? As Mark mentioned they were No1 in America with previous hit 'She Drives and Crazy'. One of my favourites in the chart this week. We even get some piano playing from with his fingers and toes or his shoes.

Next the video for the new U2 single with BB King. Not my favourite song by them in fact forgot it existed until I seen this. Also annoys me how U2 made so few ventures into the totp studios. I've counted 2/3 appearances in the old episodes throughout the decade and 5 overall. Must have been great live!

Back in the studio next with the fantastic new piano dance track by Paul Simpson and Adeva. 1989 seemed to be the year of the big dance floor piano track with big vocals - more to come of that later in the year...! This was when dance really found its feet and started to sound like hits we get today. This was Paul Simpsons only top 40 hit but Adeva would fare better with hits right up until May 1996.

Now the top 10 countdown with the highest climber by Simply Red at 2 and a new No1 as Madges domination of the top spot ends after 3 weeks and the fantastic 'Eternal Flame' by the Bangles rises to the top spot. The first of two versions of it that would top the chart so far...! Again pretty we don't get a studio performance whenAmerican acts get the top spot but this is classy stuff from the indie pop girls.

We finish with another video by Swiss Electronic group Yello and it's a fantastically cheesy late 80s video at that, looks quite Christmassy not springlike. No breaker this week I noticed!

This post has been edited by Steve201: May 16 2020, 02:08 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post May 25 2020, 02:05 AM
Post #728
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 20/4/1989 Presented by Nicky Campbell & Sybil Ruscoe

Transvision Vamp Baby I Don't Care No3
Simple Minds This Is Your Land (Video) No13 NE
Inner City Ain't Nobody Better No20 NE

**Breakers De La Soul Me Myself & I (Video) No26 NE
**Breakers London Boys Requim (Video) No24 ^^

Holly Johnson Americanos No4
Metallica One (Video) No18 NE
Midnight Oil Beds Are Burning (Video) No21
The Cure Lullaby No12 NE*

***No1 The Bangles Eternal Flame (Video)No1*** 2 Weeks
Beatmasters with Merlin Who's In The House (Video) No23 NE

Tonight's show is introduced by Nicky & Sybil and we start with Transvision Vamp who give us a raunchy performance of their biggest hit 'Baby I Dont Care' to start us off tonight, their lead singer is just ❤️. The drummer was loving the ott drumming too, great late 80s pop/rock though. Deserved to be no1!

The new video from Simple Minds is next, the follow up to the big No1 earlier in the year. They have went quite slower and serious with this album compared to the big stadium rock era of 1985. I always have time for them though, one of the great bands of the new wave from the early 80s who kept getting hits into the new century.

After the 40-31 countdown we have Detroit house band Inner City who've apparently came all the way to perform on totp. Nice house track using the keyboard chords and house beats which became very popular at the end of 1988. Nowhere near as good as their previous hit 'Good Life', which was a classic!

We have two breakers this week one a classic and first entry in the top 40 from De La Soul with the classy 'Me Myself & I. Still sounds great. This was their first of 10 top 40 hits two of which would be top 10 between now and 2002. Then we have the highest climber from a camptastic London Boys, never heard of them, sounds cheesy but ok.

We have a repeat performance from the top 5 hit by Holly Johnson, Americanos. His second top 5 hit of the year.

Next up it's another exclusive video the new single by punk rockers Metallica 'One'. Standard fare from them head banging and all and as Sybil says 'very heavy' I always liked them though. This was the third single from the fourth album 'And Justice For All'.

After the countdown from 30-11 we have another video, the third tonight, from Midnight Oil. First time I've heard of this band but apparently it's about aboriginal rights in Australia according to Nicky and I have heard the song before when I was younger. I like it actually, something different.

The final performance is the highest new entry in a strong week for new entries by now legends The Cure with new single 'Lullaby'. What a fantastic track, moody and provacative as ever by lead singer Robert Smith. Great to see them in the totp studios 9 years into their career when a lot of other artists would have fired a video in and gave it a miss. 'Lullaby' is the lead single from the bands eighth album 'Disintegration' released in May 1989.

Pop classic 'Enteral Flame' gets a second week at the top for the Bangles and well deserved too, great song.

We end the show with yet another video by the Beatmasters and Merlin with a standard late 80s dance/rap track.

A strange show with a lot of videos and not many studio performances but the Cure performing live made it memorable for me with the wonderful 'Lullaby'!

This post has been edited by Steve201: May 25 2020, 02:10 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post May 25 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #729
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Beds Are Burning and Lullaby are the best songs from that edition and of course Eternal Flame is a great no.1 single.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post May 25 2020, 05:12 PM
Post #730
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
I really loved Lullaby tbh, that album name really was perfect for that era of The Cure!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 7 2020, 12:25 AM
Post #731
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 27/4/1989 Presented by Gary Davies

The London Boys Requim No11
Natalie Cole Miss You Like Crazy (Video) No24 ^^

De La Soul Me Myself & I No23

Fine Young Cannibals Good Thing No7
Morrissey Interesting Drug (Video) No9 NE*

The Beatmasters & Merlin Who's In The House No8 ^^
Yazz Where Has All The Love Gone No27 NE
***No1 The Bangles Eternal Flame (Video)***No1 3rd Week
Poison Your Mama Don't Dance (Video) No26 NE

We only have Gary Davies on presenting duties this week so he gets a hand from the audience and we start of with the camptastic London Boys with Requim. This sounds like a Eurovision entry with its high NRG beats. Not my kind of thing but you don't hear this kind of thing as much post 1990 as europop takes it on to the next level.

Next up we have the video for he new single by Natalie Cole. 'Miss You Like Crazy' is her new highest charting single in the uk until this point beat the No5 peak of 'Pink Cadillac'. In fact it was her biggest hit in the uk chart. Can't believe her first hit in the uk was way back in October 1975. This single is a fantastic Soul ballad and certainly deserves to be her biggest hit.

Next the quality goes up with the new single by rap act De La Soul with the fantastic 'Me Myself & I', this should really have charted a lot higher, absolute classic for me. Great to see them in the studio but how did it not cause it to rise afterwards?!

Next up it's last weeks repeat performance from Fine Young Cannibals. As I've said they were at the top of their game this era, but they would fall as quick in the 90s for whatever reason. Anyway Good Thing still sounds fantastic! I also love some of Roland Gifts moves on the stage in this performance!

Morrissey returns with the video for his new single 'Interesting Drug'. Still able to enter the charts in the top 10 easily enough this is the highest new entry this week. It was a song not on any album until it was added to the compilation album Bona Drag in 1990. It would be his last top 10 single until 1994 after a long run of success with the Smiths and as a solo act since 1983.

After the chart run down we have the joint highest climber by Beatmasters and Merlin. This sounds quite dated today but this style was huge in the late 80s, nice track. Think I'd rather Natalie Cole as my highest climber this week. Some nice production there by the totp team too!

Yazz is back with a new look and a new single, seems like the record company wants to build on her 1988 successes quickly. Not as iconic as 'The Only Way Is Up' but still a nice slice of house music with pop elements and the fourth and final single from the debut album 'Wanted'.

Following the top 10 countdown we have a non moving top 4 with 'Eternal Flame' getting its 3rd week at no1 and rightly so with this gem.

We end with the video for the new single by Poison, usually heavy metal but they've turned country with this single.

On a final note maybe it was because Gary had sole presenting duties but there was no breakers this week which always reduces the songs we hear. Good episode anyway the highlight for me was Morrissey or Fine Young Canibals of course.

This post has been edited by Steve201: Jun 7 2020, 12:54 AM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 8 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #732
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 4/5/1989 Presented by Jenny Powell & Andy Crane

Edelweiss Bring Me Edelweiss No28 NE
Midnight Oil Beds Are Burning (Video) No9

Debbie Gibson Electric Youth No21
Bon Jovi I'll Be There For You (Video) No18

Roxette The Look No26^^
Kylie Minogue Put Your Hand On Your Heart No2 NE*

Poison Your Mama Don't Dance (Video) No16
Live Report Why Do I Always Get It Wrong n/a (UK Eurovision 1989 entry)
***No1 The Bangles Eternal Flame (Video)***No1 4th Week
Chaka Khan I'm Every Woman (Video) No23 NE

Tonight's episode sees the first show co-Presented by Jenny Powell and Andy was right there are a lot of lovely ladies on the show tonight said in the most perfect Father Ted way. We start with what looks like a novelty act dressed up as German ladies and gents singing Abbas classic SOS but replacing the words and adding a house beat and rap chorus. Yes it all sounds a bit mental and it is but this is the uk chart and totp in the 80s so that helps you understand. This was apparently huge around Europe at the time. In true UK public style this performance would propel it into the top 10. It would be their only hit.

Next up we get another viewing of the fab video of 'Beds Are Burning' by Midnight Oil. As Andy said they are an Australian band who's next and only other top 40 hit would be in 1993 but they did achieve three other top 75 hits up until the mid-90s.

After the first part of the chart rundown we have a performance of the new single by Debbie Gibson. This is an alright pop song taking advantage of some dance/house beats but using instruments to make it a classic pop track. And those dancers behind her ��. 'Electric Youth' is the second single from her second album of the same name.

Next up the current US no1 by Bon Jovi. We only get to see the video but it is great indeed. This was the third single from the bands 4th album 'New Jersey' and although did great in the US in the UK performed more moderately getting 6 top 40 singles but none in the top 10 but the album was the first release by the band to reach no1 in the albums chart.

As Jenny says it's been a very International set up by tonight's performers we've had Austrian, American, Australian and now Swedish performers with the first performance by Roxette in title studios as their fan single 'The Look' is the weeks highest climber. So many more great tracks to come in the years ahead by them. This was the first of 18 top 40 singles including five top 10s with 'It Must Have Been Love' entering the top 10 in two seperate chart runs.

After the highest climber the highest new entry is the brand new single from Kylie and fantastic to see her in the studio again too. Sadly she's stuck to the tried and tested format but why wouldn't she with such a high new entry. This was the first single from her second album 'Enjoy Yourself'.

We get another viewing of the climber by Poison, not sure why they are pushin this so much considering they haven't bothered (yet) coming into the studio and they aren't what I would call a huge 80s band they can't ignore. Plus they sound just ok and not exactly appealing to youth. Anyway it's all quite upbeat and I think it's just fine, maybe they could shown the current Duran Duran video?

Next we get a performance of the 1989 Eurovision entry, not even charting yet which tells a lot of where it would end up, and totp rarely shows a non charting performance but they do love to support the Eurovision entry a bit like radio 2 these days.

Well not even the new Kylie single could stop them as the Bangles get a 4th week at the top with 'Eternal Flame'.

We end with the new single by Chaka Khan, and it's another classic as she remixes her 1978 UK chart debut which charted at No11 back then.

What a great show the second in a row without the breakers but I've heard it goes on for a while yet(until 1994 apparently). And some fantastic performances from Kylie and introducing Roxette. My favourite has to be the performance of 'The Look'!

This post has been edited by Steve201: Jun 8 2020, 10:50 PM

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 14 2020, 12:23 AM
Post #733
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 11/5/1989 Presented by Bruno Brooke's

Swing Out Sister You On My Mind No28
Chaka Khan I'm Every Woman (Video) No8

Yazz Where Has All The Love Gone No16
Queen I Want It All (Video) No3 NE*

Hue & Cry Violently No29 NE
Natalie Cole Miss You Like Crazy (Video) No5
Stevie Nicks Rooms On Fire No21

The London Boys Requime No4
***No1 Kylie Minogue Hand On Your Heart (Video)***No1 1st Week
Stefan Denis Don't It Make You Feel Good (Video) No22^^

We start tonight with the new single by Swing Out Sister. This is the first single from the second album 'Kaleidoscope World' and this would be its chart peak. Did you know the group's name came from the title of a 1945 movie starring Arthur Treacher, called Swing Out, Sister, and they claim they chose the name because it was the only thing the band could agree on, in that they all hated it. This is alright but nowhere near as good as the first era and the classic 'Breakout'. But I like the more sophisticated turn with classical and jazz components.

Next up we get to see the video for the second week of the 'I'm Every Woman' re-release after it did quite well in 1978, she was a superstar by the late 80s though and this was destined for advert use in the 90s!

After the countdown from 40-31 we have a repeat performance from the new Yazz single. The record company must have sent a quick fax to the BBC to replay this wondering why the first showing of this didn't do the trick and jump her into the top 10 like her other singles. Truth be told it was of the same standard as her hits in 1988 but a nice way to round off the campaign.

Next up my favourite bit of the week and highest new entry not surprisingly by the well established classic rock band. The thing I loved about Queen as a band was that they kept returning every 2/3 years with another established classic release and 'I Want It All' follows that path they set throughout he decade. This is great stuff! Pity they are too big to perform on totp by this stage! Brian May states he got the lyrics from his ex-wife he always said it. The band say it's has rebellious and political undertones.

Hue & Cry perform next searching for that elusive sophomore hit, this is quite nice actually very late 80s with the saxophone solo and the rest. This was the second single from second album 'Remote'.

There's not a lot of new stuff in this weeks episode as we see a repeat of the now top 5 hit by Natalie Cole, it's a decent track though.

I take the above comment back as we see a live performance of the new Stevie Nicks track live in the studio, that's what they blew this weeks budget on, fantastic to see her in the studio ❤️! 'Rooms On Fire' is the first single from Nicks fourth studio album 'The Other Side Of The Mirror'. This would be her biggest solo hit in the UK.

We get another showing of the camptastic London Boys who raise the roof in the studio, I do wonder what Stevie Nicks was thinking.

After a month at the top Bangles fall a spot to make way for the brand new Kylie who climbs one spot to no1 in her second week on release, impressive much? She might do well this girl!! We get the video of it this week.

We finish with Kylie soap brother in law Stefan Denis aka Paul Robinsons new single which is the highest climber of the week. There seemed to be something in going from the Aussie soap to the uks pop chart in the 80s, thankfully the latters music career would be short lived and he can currently be seen plotting on Neighbours each day on channel 5 still. Maybe Kylie could still return? Doubtful though as she's a British musical icon 30 years later!

This post has been edited by Steve201: Jun 14 2020, 12:35 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Jun 14 2020, 10:36 AM
Post #734
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
There were plenty of cheesy hits in 1989 like Edelweiss,London Boys and Stefan Dennis. Then every now and then,a big name you wouldn't have expected turns up in the studio,a few more of those to come.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 14 2020, 09:05 PM
Post #735
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Please share lol?!

I like the surprise element though, nearly fell off my chair when I seen the lovely Stevie Nicks!

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 16 2020, 11:45 PM
Post #736
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 18/5/1989 Presented by Anthea Turner & Mark Goodier

Shakin Stevens Love Attack No28
Bobby Brown Every Little Step (Video) No20 NE
Roxette The Look No 10

**Breakers Alyson Williams My Love Is So Raw Ft Nikki D (Video) No34
**Breakers Sam Brown Can I Get A Witness (Video) No31 NE
**Breakers Diana Ross Workin Overtime (Video) No32

Paul McCartney My Brave Face (Video) No22 NE
Neneh Cherry Manchild No26
Stefan Dennis Don't It Make You Feel Good (Video) No17

Deacon Blue Fergus Sings The Blues No25 NE
***No1 Various Artists Ferry Across The Mersey (Video)***No1 NE*
Capella Helyom Halib (Video) No23^^

We start the show with a legend of totp in the 1980s and as Mark said he's had 31 hits by this point and I keep getting proved wrong in terms of how many more appearances he has left as he reaches 9 years of appearances on the show. The audience seem to be loving him proving there's life in the Ole House yet or maybe they are being ironic by this stage. 'Love Attack' is the first release from his 1990 album 'There Are Two Minds Of Music...Rock & Roll'.

Next up we have a high new entry at 20 for US rnb star of the moment Bobby Brown filling in where MJs 'Bad' album left off and filling in the gap while he is away. This is fairly typical late 80s upbeat pop as he tries to follow on from the success of 'My Prerogative'.

After the 40-31 countdown we have a repeat showing of the fab Roxette performance from a couple of weeks ago. Thoroughly enjoyable!

We finally see the return of the chart breakers after a month away with clips of the new videos by Alyson Williams, Diana Ross & the wonderful follow Stop by Sam Brown.

Next we have yet another video and this time the new single by Paul McCartney. 'My Brave Face' is the first single from his eighth studio album 'Flowers In The Dirt'. This would be considered a return to form from McCartney with huge critical acclaim. The single was co written by Elvis Costello.

Finally a new live studio performance and it was worth the wait as Neneh Cherry returns to the studio for the first time since Christmas 88 as Anthea mentions following having her baby with her new single the lovely 'Manchild'. I'm loving the rapping verse here.

Omg just got a glimpse of Antheas funky looking denim shorts and green socks, lovely stuff!!

After the next part of the chart rundown we get yet another video and unfortunately have to endure the Stefan Dennis video for a second week.

Finally back to some good quality with Deacon Blues new single 'Fergus Sings The Blues' another lovely pop song from the Scottish band and the third single from sophomore album 'When The World Knows My Name'.

Kylie has her stint at no1 cut short to one week by the highest new entry being Straight in at No1 which was ilunusual at this time. But it was a new entry for Various Artists who released their version of 'Ferry Across The Mersey' in response to the tragedy at Hillsborough during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. One of the worst moments in English football history where 96 fans died due to poor safety in the All standing areas of stadia and the caged stands to keep in what Thatcher called the football hooligans. Being a Liverpool fan myself albeit too young to remember the event. It did lead to huge changes in football grounds and the game in general to make it the money balls spectacle it is today.

As Mark says it's had sold 200,000 copies in week one. Some of the artists involved include Liverpudlian bands including The Christians, Holly Johnson, Paul McCartney, Gerry Marsden & produced by SAW.

We finish with the video for the highest climber and the sounds of the song itself show us why it's so high climbing as it's a quality house track which is exactly what's huge in the charts in 1989, this sounds class upon first listen and not too cheesy. Cappella is an Italian music group formed in 1987 by producer Gianfranco Bortolotti.

This post has been edited by Steve201: Jun 17 2020, 12:23 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Jun 17 2020, 01:42 PM
Post #737
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I like the strings on Manchild,it's my favourite song by Neneh Cherry. The baby would be Mabel's brother then. She gave birth to Mabel seven years later.

Hillsborough was indeed a terrible tragedy so it's great to see the no.1 single selling so many copies.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 17 2020, 02:41 PM
Post #738
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
I didn't actually realise Neneh was Mabel's mummy thatscool to know, she does look like her. She's stunning looking in the 'Manchild' performance.

Yeh as a Liverpool fan it was sad but at least things changed because of it; though don't know why radical changes only ever happen with so many sacrifices.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post Jun 21 2020, 01:08 AM
Post #739
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
Top of the Pops 25/5/1989 Presented by Simon Mayo

Edelweiss Bring Me Edelweiss No5
Tone Loc Funky Cold Medina (Video) No26 NE
Sam Brown Can I Get A Witness (Video) No21

Robert Palmer Change His Ways No31
Lynne Hamilton On The Inside No13
Cappella Helyom Halib (Video) No12

Donna Summer I Don't Wanna Get Hurt No19 NE
***No1 Various Artists Ferry Across The Mersey (Video)***No1
W.A.S.P The Real Me (Video) No27 NE

We have Simon Mayo on solo presenting duties tonight and Edelweiss are back in the studio now a top 5 hit aiming for the top spot with this European yedoling house novelty track. It's actually growing on me second time especially the abba sample. It's really just chaos on a stage though.

Next up it's some early rap from Tone Loc aka Anthony Terrell Smith with the video for his new single. This is the second single from debut album 'Loc-Ed After Dark'. See what he did there.

After. The first countdown from 40-31 that included new singles by ABC and Cyndi Lauper we have yet another video this time Sam Browns follow up to 'Stop!'. And the final single from her first album of the same name. Sam Brown is the daughter of 60s singer Joe Brown.

We finally get another studio performance from the legend Robert Palmer, it's quite a different record for him with yet more yedoling. I also like the way it shows his performance and the video on the one screen. 'Change His Ways' is the third single from Palmers 9th studio album 'Heavy Nova'.

We get a studio appearance from Jason Donovan of all people to introduce Lynne Hamilton the link being she's performing the song from Aussie soap Prisoner Cell Block H, it was big at the time! No surprise it's called 'On The Inside'! And it's fairly soppy and sounds like it's off a soap opera.

Next up it's another video repeat from house track Helyom Halib, lovely late 80s acid house!!

We are back in the studio again with a performance from Donna Summer who's having a career resurrection releasing cheesy SAW pop songs but it works. This is the second single from the album 'Another Place And Time'.
This seems to be live in the studio but Simon introduced it and it seemed to cut off as if filmed earlier.

For a second week charity record in aid of the Hillsborough disaster 'Ferry Across The Mersey' is No1.

We finish with the current popular heavy metal band WASP but they are nowhere near as remembered as Metallica or Def Leppard for some reason.

This post has been edited by Steve201: Jun 21 2020, 01:19 AM

+Quote this post
King Rollo
post Jun 21 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #740
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Good to see PC Reg Hollis from The Bill in the Sam Brown video.

Not a great line-up on that show. Funky Cold Medina is probably the highlight.

+Quote this post

48 Pages V  « < 35 36 37 38 39 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:42 AM