BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Liam's EOY 2018, Top 40 albums, top 200 singles
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 19th January 2019, 06:48 PM
Post #61
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Kiss and Make Up in the top 100 *.* an anthem that deserved more!!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 21st January 2019, 02:52 AM
Post #62
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

70 Mabel ft. Not3s - Fine Line
69 Hailee Steinfeld- Capital Letters
68 Little Mix ft. Sharaya J - Strip
67 Lennon Stella - Bad
66 Isabell Otrebus - Delirium
65 Kim Petras - Heart To Break
64 Demi Lovato - Sober
63 Panic! At The Disco - The Greatest Show
62 Elina Nechayeva - La forza
61 Lady Gaga - Is That Alright?

Fine Line was the best Mabel had done to date until she released the best song of 2019 so far on Friday *.* It's an absolute bop that I feel melds her R&B roots with a poppier wide appealing style very well, it was no surprise to see it end up as a big hit.
Capital Letters was another hit out of the park for Hailee who always gives us pop bops. This was easily the highlight of the recent 50 Shades soundtrack and should've been the one that was a hit tbh.
Strip is an absolute banger and highlight of LM5, very very unique and was initially thought to be second single although the reactions that some people had may have put the girls off kink.gif I still think they should push it, it stands out and the Spotify debut when the album came out spoke for itself!
Bad is the highest of Lennon's three entries, cementing her as one of my favourite breakouts of 2018. A breezy, insanely catchy pop bop, any of the current pop girls would kill for this song - imagine it in the hands of Dua Lipa??
Delirium is the latest in a long line of national final robberies - dw still more to come kink.gif Poland did this SO dirty having it come NINTH out of 10... This is even better than Voiceless, it kind of feels like what Loreen should have come back with to Melfest (not that Statements wasn't better than this, but this probably would have done better at Melfest).
Heart To Break is a BJSC winner and a piece of pop perfection *.* Kim really soared in 2018, becoming a bit of a Twitter gays fave, and made her mark on Buzzjack. This is easily her best to date, a punchy and soaring pop anthem.
Sober was a real gutpunch from Demi, released just before her overdose, hospitalisation and rehab stint which made it all the more raw and hard-hitting. Knowing her past and what she was going through, every word strikes so hard and you can feel the struggle pouring out of each and every word.
The Greatest Show is the second version of this song in the countdown, with Panic taking the epic film opener even higher. It was originally written for Brendon actually and you can so tell, his voice is immediately at home and it puts on even more of a spectacle than the film version <3
La forza was one of the absolute highlights of Eurovision <3 Opera really isn't usually my thing but I remember going through the Eesti Laul songs and being absolutely bowled over by this immediately, the simplicity of the perfomance allowed her voice to just totally strike and by god did it wub.gif
Is That Alright? rounds off this section as another ASIB song slaying *.* One of the most raw and emotional songs, this symbolises everything we love about the "real" Gaga and her balladry, allowing her voice to interpret every word, making us feel every nuance, it works incredibly well as a credits song to tie together the whole emotional rollercoaster of a film, just stunning <3

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 21st January 2019, 02:55 AM
Post #63
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 16 2019, 09:12 PM) *
Nice to see Tongue so high! That chorus with those spoken vocals is what really makes it for me, such an earworm wub.gif

It's great to see Billie Eilish getting mainstream success as well, maybe the start of more alternative acts getting charts hits? Here's hoping anyway. Liking Blue Lights, Solo and Everybody Needs a Kiss from that lot as well!

Yesss <3
Hopefully, she's so good and we don't get much of that kind of thing!

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jan 19 2019, 06:48 PM) *
Kiss and Make Up in the top 100 *.* an anthem that deserved more!!

Omg yes, ik she's already released 88 singles but an 89th was what it deserved sad.gif

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 21st January 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hello Liam!
So... I haven't checked out your EOY chart for a long time, I blame myself, because I was too busy, so now I'll try to do it right!
Here are my favourite songs from your chart:
191 Ellie Goulding & Diplo ft. Swae Lee - Close To Me
189 Marshmello ft. Anne-Marie - FRIENDS
186 Twenty One Pilots - Neon Gravestone
185 Sigrid - Sucker Punch
184 Years & Years - If You're Over Me
183 Ghost Voices - Virtual Self
182 Post Malone - Stay
181 BTS - Idol
173 Jax Jones ft. Ina Wroldsen - Breathe
172 One Bit ft. Noah Cyrus - My Way
170 M.O. ft. Lotto Boyz – Bad Vibe
169 Jess Glynne – I’ll Be There
167 Khalid & Normani – Love Lies
162 M-22 ft. Medina - First Time
161 Janelle Monae ft. Zoe Kravitz - Screwed
160 Lily Allen - Lost My Mind
159 Little Mix - The Cure
158 Selena Gomez - Back To You
152 Jade Bird - Uh Huh
151 Janelle Monae - Americans
149 Jonas Blue ft. Liam Payne & Lennon Stella - Polaroid
146 Nina Nesbitt - Somebody Special
145 Elodie ft. Michele Bravi & Gue Pequeno - Nero Bali
144 Camila Cabello - She Loves Control
142 Dean Lewis - Be Alright
135 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood
132 Rae Morris - Do It
131 Twenty One Pilots - My Blood
128 Post Malone - Better Now
127 Jorja Smith ft. Stormzy - Let Me Down
126 Billie Eilish ft. Khalid - Lovely
121 Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi - Baby
120 BLACKPINK - DDU-DU DDU-DU
119 Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier
117 Ella Mai - Boo'd Up
112 Years & Years - All For You
110 Freya Ridings - Lost Without You
101 Cardi B ft. J Balvin & Bad Bunny - I Like It
98 The Chainsmokers - Sick Boy
97 Charli XCX ft. Troye Sivan - 1999
95 Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone
93 Dua Lipa ft. BLACKPINK - Kiss And Make Up
92 Zedd ft. Maren Morris - The Middle
90 Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
89 Janelle Monae ft. Grimes - Pynk
87 Betta Lemme - Bambola
81 Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo
80 Camila Cabello - Never Be The Same
78 Silk City ft. Dua Lipa - Electricity
76 Liam Payne - Familiar
73 Benny Blanco ft. Halsey - Eastside
Great chart so far!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 22nd January 2019, 11:29 AM
Post #65
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Jan 21 2019, 05:36 PM) *
Hello Liam!
So... I haven't checked out your EOY chart for a long time, I blame myself, because I was too busy, so now I'll try to do it right!
Here are my favourite songs from your chart:
191 Ellie Goulding & Diplo ft. Swae Lee - Close To Me
189 Marshmello ft. Anne-Marie - FRIENDS
186 Twenty One Pilots - Neon Gravestone
185 Sigrid - Sucker Punch
184 Years & Years - If You're Over Me
183 Ghost Voices - Virtual Self
182 Post Malone - Stay
181 BTS - Idol
173 Jax Jones ft. Ina Wroldsen - Breathe
172 One Bit ft. Noah Cyrus - My Way
170 M.O. ft. Lotto Boyz – Bad Vibe
169 Jess Glynne – I’ll Be There
167 Khalid & Normani – Love Lies
162 M-22 ft. Medina - First Time
161 Janelle Monae ft. Zoe Kravitz - Screwed
160 Lily Allen - Lost My Mind
159 Little Mix - The Cure
158 Selena Gomez - Back To You
152 Jade Bird - Uh Huh
151 Janelle Monae - Americans
149 Jonas Blue ft. Liam Payne & Lennon Stella - Polaroid
146 Nina Nesbitt - Somebody Special
145 Elodie ft. Michele Bravi & Gue Pequeno - Nero Bali
144 Camila Cabello - She Loves Control
142 Dean Lewis - Be Alright
135 5 Seconds Of Summer - Youngblood
132 Rae Morris - Do It
131 Twenty One Pilots - My Blood
128 Post Malone - Better Now
127 Jorja Smith ft. Stormzy - Let Me Down
126 Billie Eilish ft. Khalid - Lovely
121 Clean Bandit ft. Marina & Luis Fonsi - Baby
120 BLACKPINK - DDU-DU DDU-DU
119 Marshmello ft. Bastille - Happier
117 Ella Mai - Boo'd Up
112 Years & Years - All For You
110 Freya Ridings - Lost Without You
101 Cardi B ft. J Balvin & Bad Bunny - I Like It
98 The Chainsmokers - Sick Boy
97 Charli XCX ft. Troye Sivan - 1999
95 Michael Schulte - You Let Me Walk Alone
93 Dua Lipa ft. BLACKPINK - Kiss And Make Up
92 Zedd ft. Maren Morris - The Middle
90 Billie Eilish - When The Party's Over
89 Janelle Monae ft. Grimes - Pynk
87 Betta Lemme - Bambola
81 Clean Bandit ft. Demi Lovato - Solo
80 Camila Cabello - Never Be The Same
78 Silk City ft. Dua Lipa - Electricity
76 Liam Payne - Familiar
73 Benny Blanco ft. Halsey - Eastside
Great chart so far!

No worries, thanks for catching up and commenting now! <3

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 22nd January 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

60 Shawn Mendes - Nervous
59 Saara Aalto - Domino
58 Samir & Viktor - Shuffla
57 Little Mix ft. Nicki Minaj - Woman Like Me
56 Zara Larsson - Ruin My Life
55 Grandson - Blood // Water
54 Kacey Musgraves - Lonely Weekend
53 Rae Morris - Atletico (The Only One)
52 Carrie Underwood - Love Wins
51 Elissa - Se piovesse il tuo nome

Nervous is one of the best tracks on Shawn's self-titled, no surprise being written by Julia Michaels *.* It's fun, playful and coy, but still feels authentic and real so fits in very nicely alongside the more serious In My Blood and Youth as the best of the album.
Domino was better than Monsters and should've been the ESC entry tbh, I said what I said (no shade to Monsters which ofc was in this too) x This could easily be a Melfest smash for Sanna Nielsen or Molly Sanden (that comparison makes sense when you see Thomas G:son and Bobby Ljunggren), a huge ballad with a chorus that breaks the stratosphere.
Shuffla is also a Eurovision national final track, I won't say it's robbed because I don't think it was what Sweden needed to send but WHAT A BANGER. If anyone told me that Samir & Viktor would behind my favourite Melfest song for 2018 in 2017, I'd have laughed them right out of my face but here we are! This is just so much fun, it makes me want to do the shuffla with them any time I so much as hear "Nu är vi back igen".
Woman Like Me might have a bit of a disappointment to some fans, but it's nonetheless a solid bop for the girls that showed what LM5 was going to be all about. The production makes this a jam, very Side By Side, Nicki's rap is questionable but so is her whole existence x The girls' voices all really fit this and it's so catchy, it not being as instantly banging as some singles made it stick with me for a while and keep growing, really worming its way into my affections before long.
Ruin My Life is one that took a while with me, I remember being so disappointed at first but it was only a few days before I was on board. It's hypnotically smooth yet striking, with a strong vocal that gives it real feeling, great pop *.*
Blood // Water is the first entry from a great new artist, and his biggest hit yet, a top 20 on the US rock, alternative and mainstream rock charts. The dark, deep and broody verses build up to a a HUGE trappy chorus drop that should probably feel generic but just works so well, a massive song that shows some immense potential.
Lonely Weekend is another entry for Kacey, a relatable breezy little song about being lonely but actually sometimes cherishing the time you get to yourself instead of dwelling on it. Lyrically and melodically this is every reason why Kacey is so brilliant, as always lyrics just make you think "damn I felt that", even if you didn't realise you felt it. She puts into words how I feel better than I ever could sometimes laugh.gif
Atletico (The Only One) is the biggest triumph on a surprising triumph of a sophmore album, a carefree, quirky electro-pop track that plays with the feelings of pressure to enjoy everything on a night out, and how you might regret not seizing the moment, going to talk to that hot guy, making friends with the girl with a nice dress on.
Love Wins shows Carrie flirting with politics, as much as a country artist dares without ruining their career laugh.gif In a divisive political climate, the importance of love above all should triumph, and having shown support for gay marriage, I like to think this is a little nod to that too in a subtle way.
Se piovesse il tuo nome rounds off this section as one of the best Italian language songs of the year. I didn't think much of it at first, but listening closer to feel the emotion, translating the lyrics rather than just getting vague gists, it really hit me. It feels powerful and striking, yet raw, quiet and introspective all at the same time, touching on the feelings of being lost and not understanding what went wrong with a lost love.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 22nd January 2019, 03:50 PM
Post #67
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

50 Eye Cue - Lost & Found
49 Little Mix - Wasabi
48 Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies
47 Sigala, Ella Eyre & Meghan Trainor - Just Got Paid
46 Grace Carter - Why Her, Not Me
45 P!nk - A Million Dreams
44 Hayley Kiyoko - Curious
43 Lucas & Steve - I Could Be Wrong
42 Louisa ft. 2Chainz - YES
41 Nina Nesbitt - Loyal To Me

Lost & Found was such an unjust Eurovision flop, Macedonia can never seem to catch a break but this coming 18th out of 19 songs... From the No Doubt esque ska tinged verses to the banging Europop chorus, this meshes together a few influences but it works so well rather than feeling disjointed. Musically, it really stood out and became one of my faves of the year in the contest, but it lost out to some absolute shite, admittedly in a competitive semi but still.
Wasabi felt like it would be my highlght of LM5 from the clips, and the clips didn't lie *.* It's very unsusal, with a spoken chorus, vocal effects on Jesy's interjections and thumping production that wouldn't sound out of place on Britney's Blackout in places, but the girls are at their best when they're pushing things a bit and showing why they stand out from any other girl group.
Butterflies is a lovely, magical little song that captured a honeymoon period feeling Kacey felt to her husband after 3 weeks of not knowing him, and finally feeling loved and reborn after so much darkness. Hearing this live was a real moment, her voice in the same room as me singing such feelings just felt absolutely magical and so authentic, it's a personal song that lets you in and speaks to you as if you're experiencing the feelings too.
Just Got Paid is a flat out BANGER. Ella Eyre has a perfect voice for dance tracks as Came Here For Love confirmed, and the production just makes you want to dance as you sing along. Even if you're absolutely broke and indeed were not just paid, it makes you feel the joy and looking at your bank account and seeing your money's gone in, you'll feel bougie for 3 minutes x
Why Her, Not Me is one hell of a calling card for someone who could and should be huge in 2019! Lyrically, it's a desperate plea wondering why she wasn't enough for her dad to stick around, and the soulful vocals only add to the raw emotion and tug at your heartstrings.
A Million Dreams is the second and final TGS cover in this top 100, Pink took a lovely little cute song and made it a real pop moment with her ever impressive vocals that own absolutely song she sings <3
Curious is simply perfect pop from the self-proclaimed lesbian Jesus who went from strength to strength in 2018 with the release of her debut. Lyrically, this focuses on people who suppress their same-sex attractions by putting up a facade, the catchy melody makes it accessible to all.
I Could Be Wrong is an excellent example of how to do a dance reworking of a classic <3 Brandy re-recorded her vocals and the soulful classic I Wanna Be Down becomes one of the best dancefloor anthems of 2018, with banging house production that breathes new life to the song rather than taking things away from it.
YES was a bit of a flop for Louisa but it gave the gays everything they want, somewhat of a Dirrty for 2018 with its sexy, thumping production. This might have been ruined by the video making her look like a young working mother on a night out at the M&S awards having three glasses of wine instead of her usual two, rather than a pop goddess, but the sentiment was there, this is bloody good pop.
Loyal To Me is the final song before the top 40, just missing out </3 I believe this was written with Little Mix in mind and you can definitely hear that, it's got a perfect throwback late 90s R&B kind of sound, which actually really suits her voice and you imagine the girls slaying it. But it's such a pop triumph it's no wonder Nina kept it for herself.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 22nd January 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #68
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I feel like I never gave Just Got Paid the justice it deserved, I was sidetracked by a full album of songs from him, but it is a real bop from start to finish and still feels really fresh now!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd January 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #69
Group icon

I still totally love YES lmao, it deserved better sad.gif

+Quote this post
seven.
post 23rd January 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #70
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

Wasabi was the clear highlight of LM5 for me, felt similarly about Power before so i hope they eventually make this a single too!

I'm All Ears getting on the albums list wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 26th January 2019, 09:41 AM
Post #71
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 22 2019, 09:53 PM) *
I feel like I never gave Just Got Paid the justice it deserved, I was sidetracked by a full album of songs from him, but it is a real bop from start to finish and still feels really fresh now!

Agreed, it keeps getting better and feeling like it's just come out <3

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jan 23 2019, 08:58 PM) *
I still totally love YES lmao, it deserved better sad.gif

Poor Louisa, the public just will not give a shit sad.gif

QUOTE(SevenSeize @ Jan 23 2019, 09:28 PM) *
Wasabi was the clear highlight of LM5 for me, felt similarly about Power before so i hope they eventually make this a single too!

I'm All Ears getting on the albums list wub.gif

Yass 100%, it'd do so well I think like Power because it'd really stand out but it's still pop enough to have wide appeal!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 26th January 2019, 09:43 AM
Post #72
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

40 grandson - Thoughts & Prayers

Kicking up the big 40 is a BJSC winner, and a devastatng take on the mass shootings that plague America. It takes aim at the useless yet omnipresent phrase "thoughts and prayers", which really means very little when the government (who are the ones usually using that phrase) do absoltuely nothing about it in terms of gun legislations. "The body count is on your hands" is perhaps the most haunting, striking and raw line of this statement of a song, doing nothing means the government are just as responsible. This is one of those songs that's more than just a song, it's an incredibly important statement that needs to be made, coming at exactly the right time.

39 Shawn Mendes ft. Khalid - Youth

Similar in theme to Thoughts & Prayers, Youth was written about events such as the Manchester bombing at Ariana Grande's concert, and the sense of unity that our generation has in standing against the hate and attacks, and trying to effect a change. It's incredibly hard-hitting in its optimistm and defiance, that no matter what happens and what people try to do, they can't erase people and the love and experiences they share, that's something that's been evident in the aftermath of Manchester and similar events - the worst things in the world can in turn bring out the best in humanity.

38 Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart

The newest addition to this countdown, this would probably be a bit higher if it had longer with me. After a flop with her country effort Younger Now, Miley doesn't actually venture too far back into anything different as this is a glittery country-disco anthem, with the emotion and power of everything she's been through. Her voice shines, as one of the most underrated vocalists of our time, it breaks free of, but is also complimented by, the production.

37 Kacey Musgraves - Oh, What A World

A gloriously gauzy track, this is one of the absolute highs on the album of the year. Kacey herself describes this as the song that set the tone for the record, it melds electronic Daft Punk like influences with her usual country elements, it marvels at realising the beauty of life and the wonder of our world in all the small things we sometimes take for granted. The themes might not be as outspoken or daring as those on say Follow Your Arrow, but they're still hugely important to be aware of.

36 Lady Gaga - Always Remember Us This Way

The first Gaga/ASIB entry in the top 40 is the wistful and loving Always Remember Us This Way. The first song Ally performs for a crowd on her own. Raw and timeless, this feels like it would be Ally's signature song if she was really an artist, while at the same time being such a perfect evolution of a Lady Gaga ballad, it's almost like Speechless or Dope brought up to date and polished. It's intimate and raw, but powerful and explosive, and that's 99% down to the dynamic voice she has, she can sell anything and it makes you feel about 20 different emotions along with her.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 27th January 2019, 03:15 PM
Post #73
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

35 Carrie Underwood – Cry Pretty

This was one that definitely took a while with me, I liked it at first but remember thinking "oh is that it" as a lead laugh.gif It's still country, but it's got a timeless arena rock kind of feel, the chorus is so powerful and that really suits a song that's packed with emotion, it's been held in but it explodes all over this song, about it being ok to show your emotions, you don't have to keep it in and struggle to keep a pretty face. It's a great centrepiece for the same-titled album, if you heard and liked this it's a good advertisement for the album.

34 Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa - One Kiss

The biggest hit of 2018 in the UK, this summer ready euphoric house banger epitomised 90s dance whilst feeling like a fresh step forward for both artists. There was a time where I was a bit tired of this being EVERYWHERE but now that's died down I still adore it, Dua's smoky distinctive vocals pair so well with a dance song and Calvin is at his best too, it's not too generic or rehashing his old stuff as he's been guilty of in the past.

33 Carly Rae Jepsen - Party For One

A perfect breezy pop bop, what else would we expect from Carly? *.* With a chorus as huge and poppy as the lyrics are empowering, this self-care anthem builds on what made the highs (ie 90% of the album) of Emotion so good, simultaneously subtle and paced but impactful and explosive. The video is brilliant too, so much fun and perfectly encompasses the hairbrush in the mirror vibe of the song.

32 Loren Allred - Never Enough

A towering power ballad and one of the best movie songs of recent years wub.gif It's no wonder this has become such a talent show favourite, there's such power in every note and within the movie it's a showstopping number where a character who otherwise isn't *that* memorable draws you in completely.

31 Twenty One Pilots - Jumpsuit

This was a perfect introudction to a new TOP era, the way it builds encompasses all the best things about them. At times it's soft and somewhat acoustic, vulnerable and revealing, but by the end it's a heavy rock anthem with piercing screams to match. The progressive nature of the song made it perhaps not the best choice of lead, it was never going to be a hit, but it was perfect for setting up the album and announcing they were back.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th January 2019, 04:52 PM
Post #74
Group icon

Cry Pretty's a great track!! As far as Carrie lead singles go, it's not her very best, but it's great nonetheless and definitely sets the album up well.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th January 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #75
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jan 27 2019, 04:52 PM) *
Cry Pretty's a great track!! As far as Carrie lead singles go, it's not her very best, but it's great nonetheless and definitely sets the album up well.

At least it's not Smoke Break we can be happy about that laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 29th January 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #76
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Wow at that 1-2-3-punch of emotions with thoughts & prayers, Youth, and Notging Breaks Like A Heart *.* Always Remember Us This Way is by far my favourite Gaga ballad too

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th January 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #77
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

30 Childish Gambino - This Is America

Kicking off our top 30 is a very important statement of a song from Childish Gambino, who soared to #1 in the US and became his first solo top 10 in the UK. This song touches on the historic racism that's still prevalent in America, as well as mass shooting and gun violence, with a lyrical deftness only Gambino could bring us. It's one of the effective and powerful politicial statements in music I can remember, particularly paired with the video added to the package. The jolliness of the melody and production could almost distract from the message if you weren't paying attention, so this song worked as a pop hit as well as a message and statement.

29 Shawn Mendes - In My Blood

The highest of Shawn's multiple entries from his triumphant self titled album is of course the lead single! This was really a huge step for Shawn, continuing his artistry developing after the excellent There's Nothing Holding Me Back. It's raw and emotional, it feels totally genuine and real from the heart, you can feel the anxiety in his voice and it pours from his heart, he could make anyone feel like they're experiencing what he has as they listen to him tell the story and it's stunning.

28 Panic! At The Disco - Say Amen (Saturday Night)

The song that kicked off my love for Panic, after being aware of them for a while and appreciating the classics (ok mainly drunk screaming to I Write Sins at pres as my friend is a big fan) *.* It brings the theatricality that makes Panic so great into a new sound, it's a bit more poppy but not so much that it loses the best parts of previous material. It's hooky as hell, you just want to bellow the chorus out along with Brendan.

27 Charli XCX - Focus

In a discography full of absolute bangers, and with her recent penchant PC Music esque production, Charli delivered one of her absolute best to date with this *.* The hypnotic production of this club ready gem is incredible, icy cool and cycling, the half-rapped vocals elevate this too and it's just so forward thinking whilst being pretty simple, sometimes less is more. An impeccably produced pop track that shows where pop could go, where can you go wrong with that *.*

26 grandson - Stick Up

As one of the best new artists I've found this year, grandson heads up his three appearances in the top 100 with this crowning gem of his output so far! Again, this is about gun violence, telling the story of a veteran who can't afford PTSD meds and commits a robbery because the system left him angry. It's an interesting take on songs about gun violence, but just as valid in showing how the system and government leaving out certain people or stripping them of what they want or need can affect them greatly and lead them into the worst places. It's a lot harder and heavier musically than Thoguhts and Prayers, mirroring the character's aggression and anger which makes for such a well rounded story of a song.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th January 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #78
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jan 29 2019, 10:26 AM) *
Wow at that 1-2-3-punch of emotions with thoughts & prayers, Youth, and Notging Breaks Like A Heart *.* Always Remember Us This Way is by far my favourite Gaga ballad too

Piercing my heart is a surefire way right up in my affections tbh laugh.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th January 2019, 10:11 PM
Post #79
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Thoughts & Prayers was a very deserving BJSC winner, a subject which definitely needs to be addressed. Nothing Breaks Like a Heart is wonderful as well, one of my favourite songs in the Top 40 right now!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st February 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #80
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

25 Francesca Michielin - Tropicale

Only the third highest Italian song this time after being a year end #2 last time, flop x This is an all out summery bop, quite Spotify but not in a tired generic way, in a way that makes it feel like something really went into it for it to a fun, great pop song that sticks in your mind.

24 Carrie Underwood - The Bullet

Another gun crime song, the last one although not the last reference to guns we'll see ;o This is a devastating song, it will pierce your heart with every word. It sums up exactly what needs to be said, what doesn't matter is "they're taking our freedom by taking our guns!11" what matters is that being allowed guns makes sure that a bullet can go through the victim, everyone's lives, their past and their future. Carrie's story songs are often incredible but this is absolutely one of her most raw and emotional.

23 Halsey - Without Me

Halsey wanted to show she could write good radio pop with her second album, and this standalone single is just more proof of that! This just does everything right as a polished pop song, from the production to the theme and lyrics to the vocals to the genius Cry Me A River sample wub.gif

22 Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next

Another smash, this was a surprise release but went straight to #1 in both the US and UK, queen *.* Even when you're perenially single with no real exes to speak of, this song makes you feel like you've just emerged stronger from a break-up. This was and still is SUCH a classy way to look back on the past, it's easy to do a relatably bitter anthem but this really reasonated for being the way everyone should deal with break-ups and the past, even if it's not always that easy in theory drama.gif

21 Janelle Monae - Make Me Feel

The final song before the top 20 is a critically acclaimed bop from Janelle Monae, which simultaneously feels like the future of pop and a lost Prince classic. It was reminiscent of past glories for her such as Dance Apocalyptic, but still felt like a huge step up that really showed this album was going to be incredible. The San Junipero esque video with her girlfriend Tessa Thompson really sells the song too wub.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 01:48 PM