BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dance music this decade is very chilled and serious sounding, Compared with the 90s or 00s
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post 9th June 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

Does anyone else think the dance music that has been in the charts this decade has been very serious sounding? Deep, tropical house and future bass this decade just tend to sound very serious to me probably because of the high influence of slow acoustic music in it compared to the trance, funky house and electro house last decade, all three genres were certainly more high tempo and more lively than this decades 'chilled' dance music. Only UK garage was chilled and serious. No new dance music tends to gets played on the radio this decade unless it is as serious sounding as an average acoustic singer songwriter.

Everyone says it is a 90s revival but dance music in the 90s was not as dominated by chilled genres as it is today.

Is there just a trend this decade just to want more chilled out varieties of dance music?. Disclosure I think introduced this type of dance music and since then chilled dance music has dominated. Neither the 90s nor the 00s has had this emphasis on chilled dance music. Even the videos for dance songs are so serious now with lovers in a car or people sitting by a campfire rather than showing people dancing like in the 90s and 00s.

I think its probably that people got sick of the uptempo, slightly cheesy stuff during the 2000s and wanted something much more serious and cool but what do you all think?

This post has been edited by TheSnake: 13th June 2016, 03:04 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 9th June 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Oh well I actually see (or hear rather) tropic house and most dance in general as a fun and less serious genre to listen to! tongue.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 9th June 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(spun @ Jun 9 2016, 11:41 PM) *
Oh well I actually see (or hear rather) tropic house and most dance in general as a fun and less serious genre to listen to! tongue.gif

I suppose it depends on perspective, but its just tropical is very serious sounding to me like deep house because of the fact the vocals are usually very chilled and serious, similar to those of a singer songwriter rather than the uplifting vocals of the likes of Kelly Llorenna (trance) or Amanda Wilson (house) last decade. Also the music is much more minimal in tropical and deep house than in trance or funky house that were popular last decade and that makes the whole thing sound more serious to me.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 9th June 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jun 9 2016, 11:55 PM) *
I suppose it depends on perspective, but its just tropical is very serious sounding to me like deep house because of the fact the vocals are usually very chilled and serious, similar to those of a singer songwriter rather than the uplifting vocals of the likes of Kelly Llorenna (trance) or Amanda Wilson (house) last decade. Also the music is much more minimal in tropical and deep house than in trance or funky house that were popular last decade and that makes the whole thing sound more serious to me.

Oh yes I agree with the vocals. Songs like Faded is a g example of a serious sounding dance banger of this year.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 9th June 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(spun @ Jun 10 2016, 12:04 AM) *
Oh yes I agree with the vocals. Songs like Faded is a g example of a serious sounding dance banger of this year.

But the music of Faded is quite uplifting, the likes of Kungs sounds much more chilled and serious.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 10th June 2016, 10:23 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

Are we talking lyrics or just the sound? Because if we're talking lyrics then Faded is definitely a serious sounding song as it deals with losing someone close to you. Or at least that's how I interpret it.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 10th June 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #7
Group icon

QUOTE(jafetsigfinns @ Jun 10 2016, 11:23 AM) *
Are we talking lyrics or just the sound? Because if we're talking lyrics then Faded is definitely a serious sounding song as it deals with losing someone close to you. Or at least that's how I interpret it.

Just the sound, I am referring to. Just songs this decade like Chris Malanchak - So Good To Me, Jess Glynne/ Route 94 - My Love, Kungs and Cookin on 3 Burners - This Girl, Disclosure and Sam Smith - Latch, DJ Snake - Middle, Jack U and Justin Beiber - Where are U Now are all very serious sounding in terms of music and it just seems this chilled, serious form of dance music has dominated this decade in general rather than more lively forms of dance music.

+Quote this post
mdh
post 10th June 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

So Good To Me doesn't sound serious to me, in fact I think it sounds rather casual with its laid back nature

+Quote this post
Ethan
post 10th June 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
3:23
User: 5,269

i don't accept the premise of the op ~

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 11th June 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon

QUOTE(Mdh @ Jun 10 2016, 06:15 PM) *
So Good To Me doesn't sound serious to me, in fact I think it sounds rather casual with its laid back nature

Well both the vocal and music seems very flat and serious for dance music anyway, as is most of the deep house, tropical house and future bass genres than have dominated this decade. I think its because they are minimalistic and have laid back vocals they do sound more serious than other types of dance music.

What i am saying is that the 2000s were dominated by lively dance music such as Fragma - Tocas Miracle, Shapeshifters - Lolas Theme, Lasgo - Something, Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend etc. whereas this decade is dominated by much more chilled out stuff in dance music.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: 11th June 2016, 12:30 PM

+Quote this post
mdh
post 11th June 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jun 11 2016, 01:21 PM) *
Well both the vocal and music seems very flat and serious for dance music anyway, as is most of the deep house, tropical house and future bass genres than have dominated this decade. I think its because they are minimalistic and have laid back vocals they do sound more serious than other types of dance music.

What i am saying is that the 2000s were dominated by lively dance music such as Fragma - Tocas Miracle, Shapeshifters - Lolas Theme, Lasgo - Something, Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend etc. whereas this decade is dominated by much more chilled out stuff in dance music.

Yeah, I guess these days the likelyhood of having an upbeat EDM hit (club, europop, funky house etc.) is low as we tend to consider them more of novelty songs when they do come around nowadays.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 11th June 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(Mdh @ Jun 11 2016, 01:52 PM) *
Yeah, I guess these days the likelyhood of having an upbeat EDM hit (club, europop, funky house etc.) is low as we tend to consider them more of novelty songs when they do come around nowadays.

They were everywhere in the 2000s though it was the norm.

Not only that the 90s too. The vast majority of the big 90s dance hits were upbeat and not chilled. 2 Unlimited - No Limits was an example of an upbeat EDM song as was Dr Alban - It's My Life, Free by Ultra Nate and Dreamer by Livin' Joy.

This post has been edited by TheSnake: 11th June 2016, 06:18 PM

+Quote this post
mdh
post 11th June 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jun 11 2016, 07:13 PM) *
They were everywhere in the 2000s though it was the norm.

Not only that the 90s too. The vast majority of the big 90s dance hits were upbeat and not chilled. 2 Unlimited - No Limits was an example of an upbeat EDM song as was Dr Alban - It's My Life, Free by Ultra Nate, The Key the Secret by Urban Cookie Collective, as was Dreamer by Livin' Joy.

Could you consider Martin Solveig as upbeat EDM? I get really positive vibes from his song beats and lyrics so he's probably one of the main upbeat EDM producers these days.

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 11th June 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(Mdh @ Jun 11 2016, 07:16 PM) *
Could you consider Martin Solveig as upbeat EDM? I get really positive vibes from his song beats and lyrics so he's probably one of the main upbeat EDM producers these days.

Yes he is, as are Galantis. Solveig hasn't made the top 40 anyway this year. There are exceptions but when you look at the majority of dance music that has made the official top 40 from 2013 to now, the majority are chilled, more serious tracks.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:30 PM