BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Greatest UK Sitcoms • RESULTS, FINISHED! Full list on page 3
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 26th August 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #21
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

06-10

06. Keeping Up Apperances || 160 points [Highest: 19 from Alex, JosephStyles, Mack]
07. Blackadder || 153 points [Highest: 20 from richie & Colm]
08. The Vicar of Dibley || 142 points [Highest: 19 from Sarah]
09. Outnumbered || 139 points [Highest: 19 from bipolar angel & Ultraviolence1989]
10. The Royle Family || 137 points [Highest: 16 from HarryEzra]

The Royle Family focuses on a working class family, with the episodes mostly focusing on the conversations that occur in the family's living room. The creators, Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash, then went on to provide the voice-over for Gogglebox due it its similarities with the sitcom. Outnumbered follows the lives of two parents and their three children. The show utilised the ages of the children by making their parts semi-improvisational which the adult actors would react to. The Vicar of Dibley sees a small village being assigned a female vicar after recent rule changes. It stars Dawn French in the title role and has returned for a number of specials since the show ended. Blackadder sees each series being set in a different historical era: the Middle Ages, the Elizabethan era, the Regency and World War I. This means it follows descendants of the Blackadder family and their servants from the Baldwick family. The final scene in the final episode is particularly noted as one of the best ever TV moments. Keeping Up Appearances centres on the live of Hyacinth Bucket, a social climber who tries to portray that she is upper class but she actually has a working class background. A prequel is due to air next week.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 26th August 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #22
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

FINAL FIVE

Absolutely Fabulous
Fawlty Towers
Gavin & Stacey 
Miranda
Only Fools and Horses

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 26th August 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Mrs Browns Boys higher than IT Crowd...so so wrong in everyway tongue.gif

Father Ted not in the top 10, harrumph!

Blackadder beaten by a bucket, this won't do laugh.gif

Anything but Fools & Horses to win, it always wins sitcom polls in the UK...

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 26th August 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #24
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Mrs Brown's Boys was voted the Nation's Favourite Sitcom of the 21st Century recently :/ like...idgi it's not even funny, should not be anywhere the top 20 here let alone above some of these classics. That is a good position for the Inbetweeners and The IT Crowd, great British sitcoms are so hard to come by these days, but those show that it's not totally hopeless. The Thick of It is FAR too low though.

Any of that top 5 would be worthy winners bar Gavin & Stacey (sorry but anything with James Corden I actively avoid)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: 26th August 2016, 06:03 PM

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 26th August 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #25
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Omg 6-10 are all amazing wub.gif Esp Royale Family and Outnumbered wub.gif

Any of the top 5 would make a amazing winner (even if I have not seen Faulty Towers much) cheer.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 27th August 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #26
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Miranda in the top 5 *.*

Keeping Up Appearances is another one I've never watched out of choice and only know it through my mum, but it's hilarious I think, definitely deserves to be this high.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 27th August 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #27
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

QUOTE(JosephSpears @ Aug 27 2016, 05:16 PM) *
Miranda in the top 5 *.*

Keeping Up Appearances is another one I've never watched out of choice and only know it through my mum, but it's hilarious I think, definitely deserves to be this high.

+Quote this post
Regina
post 27th August 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572

AbFab to win please, Gavin & Stacey and Miranda so high is really sad, especially over other shows here.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 28th August 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #29
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

03-05

03. Fawlty Towers || 175 points [Highest: 19 from troublepink & burbe]
04. Absolutely Fabulous || 171 points [Highest: 20 from Alex]
05. Gavin & Stacey || 163 points [Highest: 20 from AaronTM & Leonardo]

Gavin & Stacey follows the relationship between Gavin and Stacey who are from two different places and backgrounds. It looks at the key moments of their relationship as well as the interactions and the impact behind the two families. It was one of the first, if not the biggest, hit to come from BBC Three and helps to showcase homegrown talent. I'm not sure what happened to one of the shows creators, James Corden, went on to do? Absolutely Fabulous follows a PR agent trying to stay young and 'hip' and consumes a lot of drink and drugs with her best friend Patsy. This duo is placed at the forefront of the show and it helped it to run for five series, a number of specials and a feature film that came out this year. The show was also known for its large number of celebrity cameos each season. Fawlty Towers is a sitcom that often tops lists charting the best sitcoms of all time as well as best series and it seems that you lot agree. It only ran for two series but the adventures of Fawlty, his wife, maid and waiter running a seaside hotel left a large impact on popular culture.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 28th August 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #30
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

It's between Miranda & Only Fools and Horses!

+Quote this post
richie
post 28th August 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

Heh, this poll is so bizarre (as usual).

Miranda will probably win - I saw loads and loads of 20 ratings when this was being voted on.

Good that Fawlty Towers ended up Top 3 and Only Fools will probably be runner up.

As for Ab Fab and Gavin and Stacey, I've never understood where the laughs are in either series. At least Miranda falls over a lot.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 29th August 2016, 06:33 PM
Post #32
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

01-02

01. Miranda || 199 points [Highest: 20 from HarryEzra, sarah, JosephStyles & burbe]
02. Only Fools and Horses || 182 points [Highest: 20 from Mack]

Only Fools and Horses is another sitcom that is a regular winner of similar lists/polls but it settles for second place here! It focuses on Del Boy and his brother Rodney attempting to become millionaires through various 'get rich quick' schemes'. As the series progressed, more characters became established and the scope of the plots were expanded. The initial series ended in 1991 before continuing in a number of Christmas specials where they finally achieved their dream. However, the show returned for three more Christmas specials in 2001-3 as well as a special Sport Relief mini-episode in 2014. It resulted in two spin-off series, The Green Green Grass and Rock & Chips, a prequel.

You have therefore chosen Miranda as your winner! It is a very marmite sitcom but, despite airing for only three series and two specials, it has proved immensely popular amongst those who love it and nearly 10m tuned into the finale on New Years Day 2015. The series adopts a more traditional tone than many other modern day sitcoms and it focuses on Miranda who finds herself in very awkward situations, often featuring slapstick humour. At the centre of this is Miranda's troubles with relationships and love.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 29th August 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #33
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Thanks to everyone who took part! I know they'll be a lot who aren't happy with the winner but they'll be a lot of people very happy with the winner! Personally, I'd have loved to have seen The IT Crowd or Father Ted win even though I knew it was unlikely. I did like the fact that there was a nice range of old, classic and newer sitcoms though, so well done everyone!

Remember that the BBC's Sitcom Season is now underway with all the details and discussion here. This includes new remakes/prequels/sequels of classic sitcoms like 'Are You Being Served?' and 'Keeping Up Appearances', a range of pilots for new sitcoms and recreations of classic episodes that have been lost.

Keep your eyes peeled for the next game/competition in the UK TV & Soaps forum!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 29th August 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #34
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!

Omg slay Miranda such a amazng sitcom love it unlike a lot of sitcomes i can see parts of myself with a lot of tje charactrrs which is important to me.

Great hosting Froot thank you for doing this!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th August 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #35
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

YASSSSS delighted with that winner!!

Thanks for hosting this Froot wub.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 30th August 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Thanks for organising Froot, I agree with you about the shuld-been winners but Miranda makes a nice change from Fools, and it is very sweet-natured and engaging - even if I've never been a regular viewer I do enjoy it when I bump into it.

+Quote this post
richie
post 30th August 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #37
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

I'd be happy enough to see Miranda in a top 50, but not number one. I do like some of the gags on it though and I love the fact it has a "you have been watching" bit at the end.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 30th August 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #38
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Just can't beat Miranda - it's easily my favourite sitcom! Glad to see Fawlty Towers at #3. It certainly isn't a sitcom of my generation, yet it challenges Miranda as one of my favourites. Simply timeless and the lack of episodes only makes it more glorious!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 30th August 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #39
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Very good winner and top 3! Miranda's not quite up there with Only Fools... and Fawlty Towers YET obviously (Season 3 in general was where it started to slip in quality so it's good it ended when it did) and I get it's not as clever or sophisticated as other sitcoms, but it's enjoyable wide appealing winner and very endearing characters. For the most part, I watch comedy for a bit of light relief and daft escapism, and Miranda really does fill that very well.

+Quote this post
mdh
post 30th August 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776

I like Miranda, would have preferred an Only Fools win, though. Great hosting Front.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:11 AM