BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> john v's Top 100 of 2023, better late than never......!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post 14th March 2024, 05:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

OK, I don't like having tracks that peaked and came out in 2023 having half a chart-run so I've waited till March to get a full list. It also includes late 2022 tracks that peaked in 2023, but as usual I'm excluding all of the many oldies that I charted during the year, and that includes fairly recent BJSC tracks like Rita & The Tantrums, Will Heard, Radiophonic and Burn (Pet Shop Boys), Bally sagoo, Prefab Sprout, and some TV placements like Tennis (from Rick And Morty) that would have made the year-end 100 otherwise, but they get transferred back to the year of release!

Just missing the 100? Back On '74, Jungle, Windows Take That, Paradise Calling from Birdy and DNA from Sophie & The Giants.

First 10: (position/peak/weeks on chart)

91 4 10 HOW YOU LEAVE A MAN - Paloma Faith
92 10 11 CAN’T STAY AWAY - Darin
93 10 14 MIRAGE - OneRepublic, Assassin’s Creed, Mishaal Tamer
94 19 14 SATELLITE - Harry Styles
95 8 12 LOOK FOR THE LIGHT - Only Murders In The Building Cast featuring Meryl Streep & Ashley Parks
96 11 10 JEALOUSY - Kaiser Chiefs
97 16 13 TODAY - Sugababes
98 17 14 MIRACLE - Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding
99 9 10 COUNCIL SKIES - Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
100 33 18 LAVENDER HAZE - Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift's Lavender Haze didn't hit a big peak but hung around for ages as a stayer, and Noel Gallagher has the first of 2 - I'll pass on everyone's regards on Sunday on the first night of his 2024 shows. Kaiser Chiefs are also dropping the first of 2 on the list, Sugababes make a proper comeback, OneRepublic have a movie song, Meryl Streep has a TV song, and Harry Styles and Paloma Faith are never far away from my Year-End charts. So which one shall I feature? This one...

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th March 2024, 05:21 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

81 7 12 BEYOND THE UNIVERSE - Sophie Ellis-Bextor
82 8 16 TENSION - Kylie Minogue
83 9 11 MOTHER - Meghan Trainor featuring The Chordettes
84 9 12 BANG BANG! (MY NEURODIVERGENT ANTHEM) - Galantis
85 12 15 THE NARCISSIST - Blur
86 7 11 CASTLES - Punctual featuring World’s First Cinema
87 13 15 FLOWERS - Miley Cyrus
88 10 11 DIE FOR YOU (REMIX) - The Weeknd & Ariana Grande
89 14 14 HASS HASS - Diljit Dosanjh X SIA
90 12 11 OVERDRIVE - Ofenbach featuring Norma Jean Martine

This batch has a Kim Wilde sample from BJSC, a Sia collab that came as a surprise and the first of two on the list, Ariana giving The Weeknd an oldies boost, Miley's monster hit of 2023, also the first of 2, Blur getting back together almost 33 years after debuting, Galantis returning with a pop dance banger, Meghan Trainor sampling a 50's classic and the first of 5 for Kylie, having her biggest chart year since the noughties in the real world, though not here - she often has multiple tracks sitting pretty. Tension was a bit raunchy, and meanwhile having a fab year too, it's Sophie Ellis-Bextor with the first of two, and just ahead of her UK chart comeback with a classic oldie. I'm not going to pick the hits, you know them, so let's feature...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th March 2024, 05:33 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

71 10 15 GOLDEN HOUR - JVKE
72 4 10 WOMAN - Lady Blackbird
73 5 12 DANSE MACABRE - Duran Duran
74 8 14 BACK TO YOU - Lost Frequencies, Elley Duhe & X Ambassadors
75 9 12 10 OUT OF 10 - Oliver Heldens featuring Kylie Minogue
76 8 12 ME MYSELF & I - Mae Muller
77 13 15 MOONLIGHT - Bimini x Girls Of The Internet
78 10 13 SILENT RUNNING - Gorillaz featuring Adeleye Omotaye
79 9 10 OPEN THE DOOR, SEE WHAT YOU FIND - Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
80 12 12 MELTDOWN - Niall Horan

Harry's not the only ex-1D on the list, Niall's also here with 2, and he starts with a Meltdown, Noel gets his second and best of his numerous singles over the last 12 months, and Gorillaz finds Damon Albarn with a second on the list, what with Blur and Gorillaz both coming back - just ahead of old rival Noel too. Bimini charted with a great pop tune ahead of BJSC, Kylie guests on Oliver Heldens' popdance catchiness for her second, and X Ambassadors do a collab with Lost Frequencies. Duran Duran have the first of two-Halloween-themed goodies, Lady Blackbird keeps the classy soulful ballads big with Woman even if the charts ignore her, and JVKE has a Golden Hour with a nice video. Mae Muller also charts her follow-up to a pending Eurovision entry, she deserved better! I've gone here for:

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th March 2024, 05:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

61 9 16 PEOPLE PLEASER - Cat Burns
62 4 14 RANDOMIZE - Otto Knows & Alex Aris
63 7 11 BLOODSTREAM - LOWES
64 9 14 CARE ABOUT ME - Anish Kumar featuring Chaka Khan
65 7 16 RAGAZZO SOLA - Annalisa
66 4 9 DOWN BY THE RIVER ‘O’ - The Levellers
67 6 12 FREE (DO WHAT U WANT) - Pete Tong, Ultra Nate, LP Giobbi & Jules Buckley
68 6 11 RED WINE SUPERNOVA - Chappell Roan
69 12 14 LOVING YOU - The Cannons
70 6 11 BLACK MOONLIGHT - Duran Duran

Duran get a quick second track on the list, the great Black Moonlight, should have been the first single, while The Cannons is the first BJSC entry in this batch, low-key, moody and with a hint of Kiss' I Was Made For Loving You disco hook-line. Chappell Roan brings a second BJSC entry, a pop banger, and Pete Tong helps Ultra Nate to a revamped version of her 90's club classic. The Levellers drop a frantic folk fiddle-r, for a 3rd BJSC listicle, Anish Kumar's Chaka Khan speeded-up dance sample is a 4th BJSC, while Bloodstream is a vetoed BJSC entry and one I wanted to enter from Annalisa. Otto Knows dancepop and Cat Burns as usual flopping in the charts with her sings that register with me, this one I can identify with. I'm playing...:

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 14th March 2024, 05:58 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

51 6 16 HOLD ME LIKE A GRUDGE - Fall Out Boy
52 7 14 BE MY LOVER - Hypaton & David Guetta featuring La Bouche
53 5 12 ENDLESS SUMMER - Alan Walker & Zak Abel
54 7 14 KEEP ON TALKING - Texas
55 8 18 UNTIL I FOUND YOU - Stephen Sanchez
56 10 15 WHAT WAS I MADE FOR? - Billie Eilish
57 7 15 DOPAMINE - Mehro
58 9 14 PEARLS - Jessie Ware
59 7 13 ALREADY KNOW - Gustaph
60 5 11 10:35 - Tiesto & Tate McRae

Tiesto's back, and with Tate McRae on board to boot, on 10:35, a rather good new pop tune, Gustaph revisits disco with gusto, and much better than his Eurovision entry, which did pretty well in the final. Jessie Ware clutches at her pearls, always classy and disco-era cool vibes, Mehro was a flop BJSC entry from me, a bit too out-there for most I think, or just too whiny, but I liked it! Billie Eilish's Oscar-winning Barbie song misses out on the top 50, but it is rather lovely and wistful, and Barbie was a great film. Stephen Sanchez' big hit ballad is at 55, but his flop follow-up is still to come. Texas came back with a new album and a run of good tracks, Keep On Talking the best one. Alan Walker also regularly pops up in these lists (first of two this year), this time it's an Endless Summer, while Hypaton calls on David Guetta to help revamp La Bouche's 90's club classic for the 2020's. That leaves the always-fab Fall-Out Boy to Hold Me Like A Grudge, and keep indie-rock alive, albeit out of the charts like 99% of rock acts. So many faves here to pick from, but this might have passed by most people and it's a stompingly good:

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 20th March 2024, 12:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Yay for Chappell making it in. Expect that's not last the BJSC entry of mine to pop up though cool.gif

Some big hitters for me here 'Until I Found You', 'Miracle', 'What Was I Made For?' are all fab!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th March 2024, 04:19 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Roba. @ Mar 20 2024, 12:27 PM) *
Yay for Chappell making it in. Expect that's not last the BJSC entry of mine to pop up though cool.gif

Some big hitters for me here 'Until I Found You', 'Miracle', 'What Was I Made For?' are all fab!

Thanks Rob, glad you liked some tracks and yes more to come - so thanks for reminding me I need to get on with this with the comment, been busy at a Noel Gallagher Gig, pub quiz and doing my back in, so I'd forgot oops! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th March 2024, 04:43 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

41 5 16 HIGH - Reverend & The Makers
42 4 16 HERO - Alan Walker featuring Sasha Alex Sloan
43 3 15 IF U GO - Belinda Carlisle
44 5 16 HOW 2 DANCE - Kaiser Chiefs
45 6 14 I WROTE A SONG - Mae Muller
46 8 16 UNHEALTHY - Anne-Marie featuring Shania Twain
47 4 13 SAVOUR THE MIRACLE OF LIFE - Dario G
48 7 16 COOL FOR THE SUMMER (ROCK VERSION) - Demi Lovato
49 5 12 BACK TO YOUR HEART - Delta Goodrem
50 6 13 FUNNY KIND OF LONELY - Idina Menzel

Into the 50 big ones of the year and it's the unexpected sight of "frozen" Idina in my rundown, Move just missed the top 100, but album track Funny Kind Of Lonely did even better, and another BJSC entry to boot - I'm mystified why they have yet to release this obviously commercial track as a single. Bizarre! Even more surprising, the act who once had a number 75 in my personal charts, for one week in the early 2000's - and then nothing else - Delta Goodrem, is back with an actual biggie. Well, moving into 80's romping Heart-styled rockpop hasn't hurt as he's back again this week with another and only took 20 years to get a top 5.

Demi Lovato, pre-Fire Saga, charted with Cool For The Summer, but this Rock Version is even better, love the guitar. Total chart points would put it quite high in my year-end for the original hit release now. Talking of comebacks, here's another, Dario G, 90's chart-topper with Carnaval De Paris and Sunchyme sample-chaser, is back with a really good dance track, Savour The Miracle Of Life. I almost put it into the BJSC, but in the end thought it wasn't off the wall enough. Anne-Marie is also back, this time with another 90's chart-topper in tow, Shania Twain. That Don't Impress me Much? Actually it did, Unhealthy was a pop-country bop.

Can I mention Eurovision? Thanks. We had a great pop entry for the second year in a row, but sadly the performance on the night did in it's chances, a real shame as Mae seems to have retreated from the pop biz, which really wasn't the plan. It's a great pop track! It's also her 2nd on the Hot 100 for 2023. Kaiser Chiefs have had some great stuff out the last 12 months, Jealousy was a goodie, at 96, and here's the 2nd, How 2 Dance at 44. It's 20 years since they first topped my charts, and only went and did it again for my 2024 charts.

More veterans? Belinda Carlisle wasn't on my list of great comeback 80's stars, but she did, the fab If U Go did it, and the even fabber 2nd track is still pending. As good as her peak 80's/90's stuff I say. Alan Walker is never far away from a top 10 for me, but can flop entirely as well, so never guaranteed, but is surprisingly consistently on my tastebuds. Hero is the second and highest of the 2 2023 tracks at 42, which leaves just Reverend & The Makers joining the comeback crowd 2decades after Heavyweight Champions Of The World, and going all the way to the top this time. High is the first of two, with the actual higher track still pending.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 20th March 2024, 06:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Top 40 time....

31 5 16 VIBRATION - Kaleena Zanders & Shift K3y
32 3 18 CANDLE FLAME - Jungle featuring Erick The Architect
33 4 17 AEIOU - PNAU & Empire Of The Sun
34 4 15 LET’S TURN THIS BACK AROUND - Far From Saints
35 4 18 VERUSCHKA - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
36 5 16 SIMPLE AS A SONG - Thomas Rhett featuring Doris Day
37 5 17 RAINCATCHERS - Birdy
38 3 14 GIMME LOVE - SIA
39 3 15 STAINS - Salt Ashes
40 4 16 BURNING CASTLES - Lucia & The Best Boys

Talking of BJSC, it's former chart-toppers Lucia & The Best Boys back in the Year-End list with the fab Burning Castles, a winning entry as it happens. Salt Ashes also fall into the former chart-topper and BJSC category, and they return with a goodie, Stains. Lucia topped with Perfectly Untrue, our previous entry from them and still one I play on Youtube, love it, and Salt Ashes was from 2016, Save It. Sia has been making my year-end list for 12 years, with twice chart-topper Titanium, and many more since, and almost did it back in the early 2000's as part of Zero 7. She's back for a double again, with Gimme Love the bigger at 38.

Birdy also returned, and her wonderful Raincatchers drew on the Kate Bush Cloudbusting vibe with class for her best-ever record at 37, her first-ever placing in the 100. Thomas Rhett grabs a second Year End track following on from his number 2 personal chart peaking Crash & Burn in 2015, this time he samples Doris Day to win my approval on Simple As A Song. Doris Day of course had given up recording long before my chart started in 1968, but she had an 80's chart-topper in 1987 with Move Over Darling, so that would count as one of the top performing tracks of 1964 if I ever compiled one.

OMD returned with a new album, a few OK choices of singles, and 2 top album tracks yet to be issued as singles for radio, even though they are clearly far more commercial than the actual singles. So kudos for not being obvious, and boos for denying Radio 2 airplay for Veruschka's atmospheric and very Pet Shop Boys-styled ballad, and the poptastic 2nd track pending on the list. Far From Saints debut, but half of the duo is Kelly from Stereophonics who last hit the list with Dakota, a huge number one for me in 2005-ish, and Let's Turn This Back Around was one of 3 pretty fine singles, but the only one to make the grade here.

PNAU and Empire Of The Sun finally got together on a great pop single that got no airplay at all - wait what?! - AEIOU is not a Freeez cover, it's a catchy synthpop goodie for the two Aussie duos. I can prove 2+2=3. Two duos? Well, one member is in both acts so that makes a trio. PNAU topped my charts in 2012 with an Elton John sample/remix/collab, and Empire Of The Sun in 2019 with Chrysalis, and they've had many appearances in my Year-End Charts for well over a decade, and indeed Luke Steele was also in The Sleepy Jackson who topped my charts with the George Harrison-esque Good Dancers 20 years ago, one I entered in BJSC around 2013 or so.

That leaves my Top Group Of 2023 to return to my year-end rankings at 42, first doing it in 2014 with Busy Earnin', 2019 with Best 54, and now with 2 more for 2023, after winning Best Band at The Brits. They should have won Best Album too. Of course I may be biased because I entered the fabulous Candle Flame into BJSC, which immediately led to them getting an actual chart hit with Back On '74, my 104 for the year, and a good showing for the album. The video album is on youtube (all tracks use the same dance troupe) and it's well worth a watch, and yes I am taking credit for Candle Flame doing well in BJSC, a hit single and a hit album cos I've been buying their stuff for a decade now and it's fab when a well-deserved belated breakthrough happens.

Finally Shift K3y and Kaleena Zanders get a joint 41 with the banging dance track Vibration, and yet another BJSC entry I think. Don't know much about either act, but it's terrific.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 21st March 2024, 05:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

and we are into the number ones section, and big tracks that peaked as low as 6 - but mostly number 1's!

21 2 17 SATELLITE - Bebe Rexha & Snoop Dogg 749400
22 1 15 A LETTER TO MY 21 YEAR OLD SELF - Reverend & The Makers 748300
23 1 15 TAKE ME FOR A RIDE - Sparks 725700
24 1 19 TATTOO - Loreen 706600
25 1 17 PADAM PADAM - Kylie Minogue 702050
26 3 14 THAT AIN’T RIGHT - Eloise Viola 605000
27 5 17 GOOD TO YOU - RHODES 576650
28 6 19 RIVER - Miley Cyrus 544900
29 4 16 LOOK AT YOU NOW - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark 533550
30 4 14 RUNNING WILD - Wiguez, Vizzen & Maestro Chives 533150

At 30 it's a bop dance track from a group of unknowns (to me) though Vic Reeves & Bob Mortimer used to have a Chives thing going on, usually on a long stick. Running Wild is great and obv another BJSC entry, while at 29 OMD get their 2nd of 2023, which is pretty fine for a band that hasnt had a hit in 27 years or so, still touring to sell-out crowds globally, and still doing new stuff. Look At You Now could easily have been a big 1980's hit for them - are you listening lads? Single please!

Miley Cyrus's follow-up to monster hit Flowers did better for me than Flowers, ending up at 28 and the only track to fail to make the top 5, very 80's-sounding too, but it's still not her biggest, there's another one to come. RHODES first charted for me a decade ago, but this is the first time they have made the top 100 of any year, so Good To You, eh? It's another of my BJSC entries at 26, Eloise Viola got a few plays on Radio 2 and then got ignored everywhere, but I loved the track, and That Ain't Right so I was happy to see it made the final.

So the lowest-placed chart-topper of the year for me? Kylie. Oops! Padam Padam was a bonafide hit, so wonderful to see Kylie back in vogue again after years of being ignored - it's not as if her output had suddenly turned rubbish, far from it, just out of fashion. Padam was very different though, and a grower, and a stayer and at 25 already her 3rd of 2023 in the list with 2 more to come. Loreen had a first listing in 9 years, as she won Eurovision for a second time, with the similar-to-Euphoria but just as good Tattoo, and it gave her a first number one in my chart, year-end 24.

Sparks came back (though they never go away, and it's been 50 years of love from me and counting) and got loads of plaudits for the new album, the tour, the documentary The Sparks Brothers, and their soundtrack musical with Adam Driver starring in the film. And one track gave them a 3rd chart-topper 49 years on from their first - Take Me For A Ride. Typically dramatic and tongue-in-cheek at the same time at 23.

Reverend & The Makers were Heavyweight Champions Of The World back in the noughties, and blow me if they didn't return with the best stuff of their career to date, mature, moving, and lyrically something I could very much identify with on the fab A Letter To My 21 Year Old Self, and good advice to everyone generally. Number 22 and the second on this year's list. Finally, at 21, and just pipped to the top spot and the top 20, Bebe Rexha enlisted Snoop Dogg for a bit of retro pop and the second song of the year to be named Satellite. Hearing Snoop on his laid-back rapping brings back nostalgic vibes for me, a man who makes a record better by being on it, and this one was upbeat delight.

And the youtube feature goes to the one that hasn't had a go at a single release yet and yet not the highest-placed in that category....

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 10:51 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

top 20 time..

11 1 25 I’M A MESS - Avril Lavigne with YUNGBLUD 915800
12 1 20 GHOSTS AGAIN - Depeche Mode 880650
13 1 20 SANITY - Belinda Carlisle 876700
14 1 15 YOUR SIDE OF TOWN - The Killers 860450
15 1 22 END OF NIGHT - Tears For Fears 847300
16 2 19 STORY - Kylie Minogue 845200
17 1 19 VAMPIRE - Olivia Rodrigo 836000
18 1 18 SOLSTICE KISS - Simple Minds featuring Sarah Brown 827050
19 1 17 SURE ENOUGH - Two Door Cinema Club 807300
20 1 15 BE MORE - Stephen Sanchez 776700

Stephen Sanchez had a fab Roy Orbison-esque flop follow-up to his global hit, which I liked even more than Untill I Found You, so he has two on the list, and he more than proved he has a great vocal range, something of a rarity in these days of constipation-emoting male singers who think screaming or moaning like your toenails are getting bamboo slivers shoved under them equals a convincing wealth of versatile emotions and singing ability. Sure Enough, it's Two Door Cinema Club back after a gap of 11 years since they last made the year-end list, and what a romping exciting track it was, a career best, even if much of the rock-unconvinced BJSC thought otherwise.

Talking of old rockers, Simple MInds have come back on top form with material that easily fits in with their late 80's/early 90's stuff, not least on Solstice Kiss - being as they were getting slagged off by the Rock Press at that time they were never going to make headlines or get any support beyond Radio Two plays, but they get a second consecutive 100 Year-end listing from me with their biggest track since 1993. And so to a current big name at 17, Olivia Rodrigo and her vampire, she's pretty decent by and large, and varied in genre and output, always a good sign for a long career. vampires is her biggest and best track to date, inventive and banging, and gives her a first listing since Deja Vu in 2021.

Kylie has a new album out, and for once I havent got round to buying it yet, but I have been cherry-picking album tracks and singles, and Story was the track that really should have been a single, irresistibly catchy and frantic, and outdoing padam Padam in my charts, even though padam topped my chart and Story peaked at 2. The only year's Kylie is not in my year-end is when she doesnt release anything much, and this is the 3rd track of 2023. Tears Of Fears are above Kylie at 15 with new late 80's-styled top-quality End Of Night, as Roland and Curt are still back on form following the death of Roland's wife and loss hangs heavy over their album. TFF are also year-end regulars for me whenever they drop new stuff.

The Killers arrived with a bang in 2004, and have been faves ever since, but havent made the top-end grade since 2020's Caution, so it was a bit of relief for the Bronski-Beat-influenced Your Side Of Town out to promote a 2nd hits compilation. One place higher at 13 and it's the unexpected resurgence of Belinda Carlisle to my chart-top, as Sanity became her first number one since 1988 and her second track on the list for 2023, something she hasn't done since 1991.

And the veteran theme continues, as does the "loss" theme, with Depeche Mode returning after the death of band-mate Andy Fletcher on the haunting (sorry, but it's true) Ghosts Again, their best record in over 30 years and the first to make year-end for me since 2005. Obviously my concert heyday was the 80's, and I am nothing if not loyal to acts I'm motivated enough to pay to go and see, but it's been an unusual resurgence in 2023 - quite possibly because we are of an age where death and ageing is unavoidable, and it's a creative kick up the arse.

Which brings me a noughties act I was never that fussed about, and a current act my niece loves but has left me largely meh about, getting together on a collab that struck gold. neither get chart hits so it's not surprising this also flopped - only 2 tracks in this batch were chart hits - but it's a shame that 11's I'm A Mess got no radio plays to speak of, it's a top tune and the best track that Avril Lavigne and YUNGBLUD have ever done IMHO of course. Or not so humble opinion. So that's why I'll go with that one for the video pick...

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 11:35 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

10 1 17 GOOD AT BREAKING HEARTS - Jungle featuring JNR Williams & 33.3 927650

Track 2 from Jungle, and a gorgeous album track ballad, still hoping this gets a single push at some stage, but not very likely. As I've said, band of the year for the BRITS and for me, they are great - I hope the current line-up continues as they can pull of live TV performances easily (see slots in the USA on Youtube).

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 11:46 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

9 1 16 NOW AND THEN - The Beatles 938950

Well, nobody saw this one coming, an 18th UK number one for the greatest act of all time (by any measure of what constitutes "great", nobody can claim to be so influential, important, successful, creative, culturally dominant and just bloody brilliant generally in a 7 year and a bit period of time) so it was just lovely to see smart technology used for something positive - and like the 1995/6 Anthology new tracks give another generation an opportunity to feel a bit of a link to the distant past with something new. And it's pretty fab-gear too. Now the emotion has been and gone it's perhaps not quite up to their classic stuff, but George's guitar work still gets me and the video is fab. I am going on the Liverpool Beatles tour (with a bit of luck) later in the year to relive my 1966-Scouse-era boyhood.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 11:55 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

8 1 24 SOMETHING ON MY MIND - Purple Disco Machine x Duke Dumont x Nothing But Thieves 1000250

I remain mystified by which dance tracks become hits and which don't, seems to need a push from Tiktok or something at times. Purple Disco Machine, for example, are consistently good but never seem to get a breakthrough with their retro-tinged pop delights. This one even brought in Duke Dumont and the good Nothing But Thieves (on their second of the Year-End list) and still couldnt get a hit out of it, a shame as it's a banging dance song and production, and the 3rd time they've featured on the list - and the highest-placed.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 12:03 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

7 1 20 PROMISE - Voyager 1040550

There's been 2 Eurovision tracks already on the list, which is not unusual for my charts, there's always stuff I rate, and Eurovision is way better than people still insist on, memories of judging it by 20th century standards when those days are long gone. Australia are usually good so I hope they keep going in the competition, as they never repeat themselves, each entry is genre-interesting, in the tradition of France in that respect. This year they opted for Voyager (not the ABBA show), a Rock band that have been about for quite a while, and that have been saying "gizzago!" for the last few years. They finally got their moment and came up with a great, quirky poprock tune with a good performance on the night. Sweden's Loreen won (see lower down) and Finland's Cha Cha Cha got the popular vote (fun!) but this did well too considering.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 12:12 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

6 1 25 HOLD ON TO NOW - Kylie Minogue 1060350

And here is Kylie's biggest track of the year for me - didn't get into the charts like Padam or Tension, as it didn't have the current vibes of those two, this was a more traditional Kylie dance sound, but it's a great song and gives her a top 10 slot for the first time since 2014's Into The Blue. Her first year-end top 10 was 1994, so not bad as she makes it 4 decades in a row of doin that, and 5 decades of top 100's.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 04:22 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

5 1 20 HEAVEN - Niall Horan 1137400

And it's the second member of One Direction on the list - something I swear would never have happened back when they were clogging up the global charts, but it just goes to show! Obv Harry is usually on my list over the last 5 years, but Niall now has a second year in a row and a first top 10 as his excellent pop track Heaven hits 5 for year-end and his second on this chart, outdoing Harry Styles this year, going one up on Liam Payne, two up on Zayne, and three up on Louis Tomlinson.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 05:41 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

4 1 15 IMMORTAL - Lufthaus featuring Sophie Ellis-Bextor & Robbie Williams 1142050

Lufthaus is a new electronica act, comprising Robbie Williams and 2 mates, Tim Metcalfe & Flynn Francis, and here they cannily drafted in Sophie Ellis-Bextor on guest vocals (along with Robbie) just before she hit back big with my 2001 Track Of The Year, Murder On The Dancefloor. Sadly that hasn't to date translated into a crossover hit for Immortal, which bloody well deserves to be huge summer dance anthem. Too clubby for Robbie fans, no radio play for Sophie fans, and not cutting edge enough for current clubgoers, presumably. Regardless it's a total tune, a great production, and gives Robbie a first top 10 year-end track since he was top of the 2016 chart with When You Know, and first did that in 1998 with Millennium solo, and had top 10's with Take That in 1993 and 1995. Sophie makes it 2 years in a row to get a top 100, though, and is often found guesting on dance tracks that I like. I hoep she has a Blue Peter badge for services to British pop music, as opposed to Saltburn, where her monster hit (twice) for services to nude dancing movie scenes.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 06:11 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

3 1 21 NEW YORK TRANSIT QUEEN - Corinne Bailey Rae 1258700

OK< so who had Corinne Bailey Rae coming back with a critically acclaimed arty avante-garde/punk/jazz/r'n'b album Black Rainbows? Certainly not me, as I had no idea she was in a 90's punk band before she hit big with her brand of singer-songwriter soul in 2005, and then had to step back after personal problems took over from her music career. She'd not made my Year-end chart since 2010 and seemed something of a lost music force remembered mostly for Put Your Records On, though Like A Star and Paris Nights also turned the trick for me. So, I heard this jaw-dropping track and had to double-take it was Corinne, sub two minutes of sublime punky, chanty power-pop about a 1950's face from a photograph, and snarling with attitude. Talk about subverting expectations. I absolutely got obsessed by it for a couple of months, entered it in to BJSC (flop, not exactly surprisingly!) and nobody on radio went near it with a barge-pole. Sorry, everyone (bar the critics for once) are wrong, it's a mad guitar screeching piece of garage rock genius. If longer tracks are your thing, not to worry, there's an 8 min 30 secs track for you too on the album. Love it.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 24th March 2024, 06:23 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

2 1 24 JADED - Miley Cyrus 1327600

And the runner-up award goes to Miley Cyrus, who's a bit Jaded, third single off her big-ish album, the one with the monster 2023 hit, Flowers, which has also made my list - but not the number one spot it seemed to smash everywhere, so popular! It's great, but River, the follow-up, was even better, and this track was best of all, emotional relationship songs never go out of fashion and this was top-notch, should've been a lot bigger hit than it actually was. Sometimes I just get confused at what streams and doesn't stream! Like One Direction, if you'd told me that young Hannah Montana with the Achy Breaky famous dad would become a pop force to be reckoned with, I woulda gone "nah!" and yet here we are. Making my year-end lists in 2008 and 2009, 2015, 2019, 20 and 21. With Midnight Sky she got the top track of 2020 for me, so runners-up isn't too shabby really, either.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:56 PM