BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Straw poll : Scottish Independence
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Scottish Independence
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 25
Guests cannot vote 
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 07:27 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
Should Scotland become an independent country Y/N?

I'd be interested in your thoughts, too.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jan 28 2019, 07:32 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Absolutely!

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jan 28 2019, 07:32 AM) *
Absolutely!

One cynical reason against it, would be that it would leave the rest of the UK with a virtually permanent Tory majority - at least under FPTP. ohmy.gif

Even if they did gain independence, would it really stop them blaming the English for all their problem, though? teresa.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post Jan 28 2019, 09:37 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jan 28 2019, 07:32 AM) *
Absolutely!

I voted Yes too on this straw poll. The case for independence is far more convincing now than in the first Scottish referendum now there is the added staying in the EU factor. I would say if IndyRef2 was held tomorrow Yes would win.

This post has been edited by The Snake: Jan 28 2019, 09:41 AM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 28 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I have completely reversed my stance due to Brexit. I see no reason for Scotland to be forced down with the rest of us if it chooses to rejoin the EU, and any consequence on England's politics is self-inflicted and tough luck.

Anyone is free to blame the English for anything they historically did, and that applies to all countries of the world, including Scotland as part of the UK where they went along with dubious political acts.....

England: Nice country you have there. I'll take it!

Great Britain: Nice country you have there. I'll take it!

Just saying.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(The Snake @ Jan 28 2019, 09:37 AM) *
I voted Yes too on this straw poll. The case for independence is far more convincing now than in the first Scottish referendum now there is the added staying in the EU factor. I would say if IndyRef2 was held tomorrow Yes would win.

You realise it wouldn't be a case of *staying in* the EU, rather, applying as a new country?

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Jan 28 2019, 09:58 AM) *
I have completely reversed my stance due to Brexit. I see no reason for Scotland to be forced down with the rest of us if it chooses to rejoin the EU, and any consequence on England's politics is self-inflicted and tough luck.

Anyone is free to blame the English for anything they historically did, and that applies to all countries of the world, including Scotland as part of the UK where they went along with dubious political acts.....

England: Nice country you have there. I'll take it!

That hasn't Scotland's case for over 300 years mellow.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 10:06 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Paul Hyett
For info :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polli...sh_independence

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 28 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
I was against it at the point of the referendum for selfish electoral reasons mostly, but also because it seemed somewhat foolhardy economically.

Here's the thing though, Scotland was an independent country for approximately a millennium, doing just fine without the English and often against the English. It's only not in the same situation as Ireland (Republic) because of the Acts Of Union and a fiercely independent monarchical, unified tradition (unlike the Irish clans) that ironically, led it down the path towards union with England, along with some unfortunate colonial adventures that left it bankrupt. If we talk historical shoulds and shouldn'ts, then I think it's far more of a 'Scotland shouldn't be in the union'.

Having actually visited Scotland for the first time in the intervening years it feels quite different from England, the sort of difference that a French speaker might feel going from France to Wallonia. It might as well be a different country, and in this modern age I'd support what borders we have tending to the lines of traditional culture and ethnic groups.

Personally, I enjoy the Union, that we have four countries standing together as one, though I wish they were a bit more equal in size so issues on representation don't come up. But given the current political situation, I think Scotland would do a lot better out of the Union than in it right now. Their Assembly seems from afar quite a marvel and I'm sure it could stand on its own merits independently.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jan 28 2019, 10:14 AM) *
Personally, I enjoy the Union, that we have four countries standing together as one, though I wish they were a bit more equal in size so issues on representation don't come up. But given the current political situation, I think Scotland would do a lot better out of the Union than in it right now. Their Assembly seems from afar quite a marvel and I'm sure it could stand on its own merits independently.

At very least, they are sensible enough to adopt a PR system.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 10:24 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 28 2019, 08:02 AM) *
One cynical reason against it, would be that it would leave the rest of the UK with a virtually permanent Tory majority - at least under FPTP. ohmy.gif

OTOH, that might finally overcome Labour's resistance to PR... thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 28 2019, 11:00 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Yes, definitely. Why do they deserve to be tied to this festering sinkhole of a country?

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 28 2019, 11:00 AM) *
Yes, definitely. Why do they deserve to be tied to this festering sinkhole of a country?

This 'festering sinkhole' still seems to be appealing to some - even risking their lives to get here...

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jan 28 2019, 01:55 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 28 2019, 10:21 AM) *
At very least, they are sensible enough to adopt a PR system.

The UK government under Tony Blair chose the electoral system for the Scottish Parliament. I think the use of STV for local elections was a Scottish government decision but I may be wrong.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 28 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 28 2019, 01:55 PM) *
The UK government under Tony Blair chose the electoral system for the Scottish Parliament. I think the use of STV for local elections was a Scottish government decision but I may be wrong.

You think it was maybe an attempt to 'divide & rule' then?

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Jan 28 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 28 2019, 02:51 PM) *
You think it was maybe an attempt to 'divide & rule' then?

The i main reason for having PR for the Scottish parliament (and Welsh assembly) was to avoid accusations that they were setting up legislatures that would have a permanent Labour majority.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 29 2019, 06:29 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 28 2019, 04:43 PM) *
The i main reason for having PR for the Scottish parliament (and Welsh assembly) was to avoid accusations that they were setting up legislatures that would have a permanent Labour majority.

Pity that logic isn't applied to the 2 party system in the HoC then... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jan 29 2019, 09:01 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Queen of Soon
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 28 2019, 08:02 AM) *

Even if they did gain independence, would it really stop them blaming the English for all their problem, though? teresa.gif

Having been stuck with Tory governments we didn’t vote for and a Brexit we didn’t vote for, what on earth makes you think Scotland would give one iota of a shit about England reaping what it sowed? Iirc Scotland’s vote was only needed once since WW2 for a labour gov, the rest of the time they managed fine with England & Wales.

And shove your xenophobic nonsense. The English aren’t blamed for Jack shit. The movement acknowledges that the two countries want different things and that a lack of local decision making over key policies is holding us back
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 28 2019, 10:02 AM) *
You realise it wouldn't be a case of *staying in* the EU, rather, applying as a new country?
That hasn't Scotland's case for over 300 years mellow.gif

Scotland is aware of that. Scotland is also aware that even the Spanish are rolling out the red carpet to welcome us - as Brexit makes it a model that Catalonia cannot follow.

The Act of Union was shoddy and in a number of ways Scotland never stopped being an independent country. It retained its, superior, legal system, it’s education system, it’s healthcare system and a unique cultural identity

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jan 28 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Polls are misleading at the moment because of Brexit. The material change of circumstances changes the polling quite significantly. Our future of no deal changes things to an independence victory far more decisive than the EU Ref that lead us here
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 28 2019, 04:43 PM) *

Well.....

It’s more accurate to say that it was designed to present majorities full stop. Although that was secondary to its aim of preventing the nationalists of ever gaining power (very pleasingly, a spectacular failure)

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Jan 29 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jan 29 2019, 09:01 AM) *
And shove your xenophobic nonsense. The English aren’t blamed for Jack shit. The movement acknowledges that the two countries want different things and that a lack of local decision making over key policies is holding us back

how come nationalism is considered xenophobic for England, but perfectly acceptable in Scotland, then?

Polls are misleading at the moment because of Brexit.

Surely every poll since June 2016 will necessarily have had the Brexit factor built in?

+Quote this post
Silas
post Jan 29 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Because English nationalism is blood and soil nationalism but Scottish nationalism is civic nationalism.

I.e. EngNats hate immigrants but ScotNats are fervently pro-immigrants

+Quote this post
Harve
post Jan 29 2019, 10:59 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
Yes.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:06 PM