BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Body Language ● album discussion, 9th album ● 2003
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 7th May 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

A thread to discuss everything about 2003's Body Language.

1. Slow
2. Still Standing
3. Secret (Take You Home)
4. Promises
5. Sweet Music
6. Red Blooded Woman
7. Chocolate
8. Obsession
9. I Feel For You
10. Someday
11. Loving Days
12. After Dark
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 7th May 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 632

Worst Kylie album, love slow though, the other 2 singles are ok I suppose but loving days should have been a single

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th May 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

It falls very short among Kylie's albums, but offers some highlights.
Sweet Music I have as of late started to appreciate alongside the singles.
Slow is the highlight from the entire era.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 7th May 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I loved the visuals but hated the vocals on the whole album

+Quote this post
Monzo
post 7th May 2020, 04:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349

I remember when I bought the Slow single and Sweet Music was on it, I thought this album must be great, but those two songs remain my favorites from it.

I still wonder why there was only one song written by Cathy Dennis on it. I like After Dark, but it's good it wasn't a single, because it's weaker than CGYOOMH and CIMW.

This post has been edited by Monzo: 7th May 2020, 04:39 PM

+Quote this post
pippa
post 7th May 2020, 04:36 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

After the monster success Cathy Dennis brought to the Fever era they may have felt compelled to include at least one piece of her work on the follow up.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 9th May 2020, 06:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Skip a beat & move with my Body Language review =

Slow
Getting off to an almighty great start with this electro dance number, with some really cool synth sounds and some wonderful deep vocals by Kylie. The song is infectious with its repetitive lyrics and hypnotic rhythm and is definitely very different from any lead single from Kylie so far. Its a shame that the album didn't follow this sophisticated synth sound more, then this could have been another 'Fever' styled success on our hands. But as this stands this has to be one of Kylie's most adventurous offerings of her career.

Still Standing
The new feel of the album continues with some funky guitars and a superb synth beat, with some confident vocals by Kylie, which makes this a definite standout on here, a very well crafted pop song.

Secret (Take You Home)
Another strong sophisticated track with an awesome beat, thanks to the brilliant sample of "I Wonder If I Take You Home" by Lisa, Lisa and the Cult Jam, which works really well with the track, along with Kylie singing in that lower sexy voice it sounds so fantastic. The lyrics are cool too. Simple, but fun, and of course you gotta love Kylie rapping which is always cute and just swell. This should have been the 2nd or 3rd single from this album, a definite potential smash hit.

Promises
A somewhat slight change of pace now with another great slice of polished pop dance. Her vocals are a little too soft, but the electro beat and synth backing track really shine throughout, which makes for yet another very decent feel good track.

Sweet Music
This just oozes style and class, with a fun groove and funky beat, all of which makes for yet another strong standout moment on here.

Red Blooded Woman
The second single from this album, and not something I fully connected with at the time (felt a tad too Americanized), but alas this has grown on me through time and is a really strong single choice with Kylie's sexy vocals layered throughout the track, especially on the fantastic chorus and of course that fantastic music video, which adds more coolness to the track.

Chocolate
For the longest time I wasn't keen on this song, but over the past year this glorious little number has grown on me & now I can fully appreciate its brilliance. The sensual yet breathy vocals & the slow penetrating beats builds towards the epic synth strings with a distant hint of trumpets makes for a stunning yet classy number. Highly underrated that thankfully seems to be getting more love now & made for the perfect 3rd single choice.

Obsession
This was where things started to slide for me with this okay little number that has a nice fast pace that's a little cliched, but not bad by any means, somewhat fillerish in my opinion.

I Feel For You
A bit too out there for my liking, this just goes way off the rails and not in a good way, the distorted backing vocals are very off putting, but the bassline is quite good, however the song just doesn't do it for me.

Someday
Another album filler moment, with its darker and underlying tone with some very dreamy vocals which doesn't add much flare to this. Quite bland and probably the most forgettable moment on this album in general.

Loving Days
The funky groove remains, although this time with the backing of a full string orchestra, and Kylie's tender vocals just sweep across the melody and rises continuously till the spine-tingling middle eight when both strings and voice are unleashed. After a couple of not-so great tracks, this is a welcome treat with its epic sounding nature and definitely stands as one of the strongest offerings from this collection.

After Dark
A sultry number to end things now, with some nice seductive vocals and some pretty solid production, and while I wouldn't call this one of the better offerings, its still an okay track and would probably rank somewhere in the middle.

I have re-valuated my review of 'Chocolate'.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 26th December 2021, 02:20 AM

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 9th May 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

You were far to generous on this album than I would have been, other than Slow, Loving Days and maybe Red Blooded Woman, this album is a total skip for me.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 9th May 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

It’s not a terrible album it’s just a terrible follow up to such an iconic era.

+Quote this post
Dannyboy
post 9th May 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

No I genuinely think it’s a terrible album 😂 other than Slow I don’t listen to any of it

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 9th May 2020, 09:26 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

I was surprised at just how bad it was when I listened to the album tracks for the rate in the 00s thread. I liked all of the styling when it was released but the songs really are forgettable and lacking in strong melodies.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 10th May 2020, 12:14 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ May 9 2020, 10:15 PM) *
No I genuinely think it’s a terrible album 😂 other than Slow I don’t listen to any of it

laugh.gif I haven’t listened to it for years. I also hated ‘Slow’ when it was released and was shocked it got to #1 kink.gif I love it now though.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 10th May 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

It's a very plod along albums that doesn't change much from.staer to finish

+Quote this post
pippa
post 10th May 2020, 03:03 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It fails to offer standout tracks when listening in its entirety.
Slow has a unique quality when reviewing Kylie's singles but Body Language needed tracks that "popped" and made you feel you wanted to rush out on the dancefloor and it fails to achieve it.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th May 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #15
Group icon
User: 13,007

I really appreciate what she tried to do with this - mature, sensual pop with seductive production.. but it just isn't totally pulled off the way its intended and one part of that is that it feels quite disingenuous. Like Kylie trying to be something she is not. I get and fully embrace artists evolving (all my favourite artists do it), but they have to maintain a sense of themselves while doing it and this doesn't in my opinion.

The album is a decent listen and there are some strong moments throughout, but I am not in a major rush to return to it all too often!

+Quote this post
pippa
post 10th May 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Body Language does have the sound of Kylie trying to hard.
The album needed more pop electro songs to make it more appealing.
The change in direction was to radical after working so hard to win fans back with Light Years and Fever.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th May 2020, 08:08 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 9 2020, 10:26 PM) *
I was surprised at just how bad it was when I listened to the album tracks for the rate in the 00s thread. I liked all of the styling when it was released but the songs really are forgettable and lacking in strong melodies.

QUOTE(Hauspital* @ May 10 2020, 04:56 PM) *
I really appreciate what she tried to do with this - mature, sensual pop with seductive production.. but it just isn't totally pulled off the way its intended and one part of that is that it feels quite disingenuous. Like Kylie trying to be something she is not. I get and fully embrace artists evolving (all my favourite artists do it), but they have to maintain a sense of themselves while doing it and this doesn't in my opinion.

The album is a decent listen and there are some strong moments throughout, but I am not in a major rush to return to it all too often!

Aw I was hoping you guys might like it. It's certainly a marked departure from the previous two albums and lacks in 'danceable' material, but there's interesting productions and grooves that continue to grow with repeated listens. It took me a long time to fully appreciate this record but, now that it's clicked, I like it for offering something different and taking an understated, slow-burning approach.

It was probably too big a leap to go from Fever to Body Language, not that Kylie should have just created a Fever 2.0, but she should have released something more instant and dancefloor friendly. The lack of connection with this record isn't helped by fans feeling it was aimed at perusing American audiences and Kylie had 'abandoned' them. If true, it doesn't make sense because the Fever sound is what compelled the US to Kylie...

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th May 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Ya the album was too much of a change, she needed something else before an album like body language to ease into that sound. Giving you up sound would have done that.

+Quote this post
indiekylie
post 14th May 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #19
Group icon
New Entry
User: 100,109

I'm surprised people don't like this album. It's my favourite of Kylie's. Tracks, B-Sides, videos, performances, visuals, it was all great!

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th May 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

It has its moment although few but down as the bottom end for me.the launch concert on ITV was great though.

+Quote this post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:41 AM