BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 00s song of the week • Don't Tell Me
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 29th April 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Introducing a new feature for the Madonna forum cheer.gif

Each week, a new song from the decade will be revealed so we can all share our thoughts and opinions on it. Hoping to explore big singles, album tracks, hidden gems and everything in between. If you have any song suggestions for any of the decades, please PM me and i'll make sure to include it happy.gif

01. Candy Shop
02. Gone
03. Intervention
04. Get Together
05. Incredible
06. Love Profusion
07. Revolver
08. Runaway Lover
09. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
10. Easy Ride
11. Don't Tell Me
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 29th April 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #2
Group icon

01. Candy Shop

The opening track to Madonna's 11th studio album 'Hard Candy' introduces her transformation into the Candy Shop owning woman of the streets. The song merges R&B and Hip-Hop sounds with bongos and a Spanish guitar. The sweets in the shop are used to describe the various flavours of M and it's both saucy and delectable with a whole array on offer. Produced by Pharrell Williams, a demo version leaked online but was swiftly removed. The song, along with 'Devil Wouldn't Recognise You' are her personal favourites on the album but this one has divided fans, critics and listeners moreso than most of her other songs.

What are your thoughts on this number from 2008? Sticky or sweet?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 30th April 2020, 07:37 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Isn’t this like one of the most played songs live ever ?

This is ok , I actually prefer the live reinventions . Especially the erotic/candy shop mix from MDNA.

Was originally going to be the album title , which I would have preferred. However she was talked out of it due to connection with the 50 cent track.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 30th April 2020, 08:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Not a favourite. I can enjoy it and bop along, but as an album opener following the Confessions era? Nah. I do rate the Pharrell production, it's just the lyrics that are a no from me tearsmile.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 30th April 2020, 10:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Just awful, and she really needs to get over it already.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 1st May 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
As time has gone, I actually quite rate this track! :') The production is really catchy and the lyrics are fun if you don't take them too seriously. I think it works nicely as an album opener, setting the playful, sexy tone of the album before leading into the big singles.

The S&S Tour performance really helped me get into the song and it makes more sense as to why the song works as an opening number.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 7th May 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #7
Group icon

02. Gone

A very reflective track here to close the Music album. Gone has both electronic elements alongside an acoustic guitar and although this should be jarring, here the two compliment each other brilliantly. She sings of leaving if she should ever lose her faith. A striking ballad closes the whirlwind of an album and leaves you thinking about your own faith and beliefs and what you would be without them.

What are your thoughts on this striking track from 2000?

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th May 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I don't think i've given this song much attention previously, but i'm not sure why! There are many greater moments on Music than it, but this in its own right deserves love too. The lyrics in particular are very powerful!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th May 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
One of my favourite from Music! What I love most is the use of 'word-painting'; we hear Madonna singing "I'll be gone before it happens" throughout the song and the song abruptly cuts off at the end, literally before singing "before it happens". I just think that's really clever and it also leaves you reflecting on the album and wanting more.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th May 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #10
Group icon
QUOTE(Liam.k. @ May 13 2020, 04:27 PM) *
One of my favourite from Music! What I love most is the use of 'word-painting'; we hear Madonna singing "I'll be gone before it happens" throughout the song and the song abruptly cuts off at the end, literally before singing "before it happens". I just think that's really clever and it also leaves you reflecting on the album and wanting more.

That's such a beautiful description of those lyrics. Goosebumps~

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 19th May 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #11
Group icon

03. Intervention

In Madonna's 9th studio album, she made us pause and reflect on the ballad Intervention. Within the harsh sounds and messages she had, the album also houses some tender, beautiful moments as part of a collection of love songs for Guy Ritchie. This one is incredibly emotional but remains optimistic about the hopes of a relationship lasting through hardship. The lonely road metaphor she uses in this song is a beautiful one and flows throughout the song. The plucky guitars and emotive vocals are a real stop-in-your-tracks moment.

What are your thoughts on this ballad from 2003?

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 19th May 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54
I adore Intervention! It's one of my favourite ever tracks by Madonna, probably in my top 10 of all time from her. It has a special place in my heart because it reminds me of Mr D* and I listening to it in the car not long after we first got together but even without that emotional attachment it stand up as one of her very very very best album tracks.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 19th May 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
It now makes me think of her relationship with Rocco .

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 20th May 2020, 12:44 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Such a beautiful song wub.gif The album has a reputation (rightfully) for being cut-throat and aggressive, but then these tender moments spliced throughout make it such a great overall listen. She really does do ballads so well, doesn't she!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 29th May 2020, 12:08 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I think this initially got lost within the album's brasher moments, but it has since become one of my favourite Madonna ballads. The dedication to Rocco and the sorrowful performance on the Tears of a Clown gig put the song in a whole new context. I'm not a parent but I share Madonna's grief when I watch that performance.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th June 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #16
Group icon

04. Get Together

The third single from Confessions on a Dancefloor, Get Together can be overshadowed at times from the two singles that came before it. Upon releasing the album, the song received a good reception and so was decided as the album's third single. It also helped to promote the tour. It is inspired by Stardust's single "Music Sounds Better with You" and is about the possibility of finding love on the dancefloor. While it was a middling success around the world, it somehow didn't manage to crack the top 100 in the US, although it was a success on the dance charts there. The music video is an animated adaptation of her performance of the song at London's Koko Club.

What are your thoughts on this 2006 single?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 4th June 2020, 08:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I want this to return to a live setlist !! This should have been on celebration!!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 6th June 2020, 04:35 PM
Post #18
Group icon
One of her most underrated singles for sure. I think I prefer it to the other Confessions singles now (maybe not Hung Up - not sure). It's a true beauty and seems to be aging the best out of a lot of her music. So much love wub.gif A shame we didn't get a better video for it though!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th June 2020, 08:22 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I wouldn't actually say this was underrated anymore! The love for it seems to have skyrocketed, not just here but other forums too, after years of being sidelined by 'Hung Up' and 'Sorry. Still takes me by surprise sometimes though - reaching Top 10 in the Ultimate Rate was particularly unexpected but proud moment.

It's definitely become one of my all-time faves from Madonna. To me, the song is about all the anxieties that come with falling in love, but encourages you just to brush them off and live in the moment, which is easy to do with the constant rush of euphoria that the fluid production brings. heart.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 23rd June 2020, 07:21 PM
Post #20
Group icon

05. Incredible

Included on M's 11th studio album, Incredible was co-written and produced by Pharrell Williams - and it shows in the production! It begins as a love song and then turns into a plea for someone to return - the production also changes at this mid-way point. In an interview, Madonna stated that the song was full of "angst and desire" and "wanting to get back to a feeling of happiness and fulfillment," but also containing a feeling of abandonment. There is a lot going on in the song and it shifts and changes throughout.

What are your thoughts on this album track from 2008? Incredible or not?

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 02:08 PM