BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 🎵🎶🎵 Owl City Singles Rate - THE RESULTS! 🐦🐦🐦, Hosted by Spattias/Matting Adam, whatever takes your fancy really
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Spinning Adam
post Oct 15 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Welcome to the results of the Owl City rate! biggrin.gif
Thanks to SIX of the lovely chums who bothered to take part, and an extra bonus thanks to me (angel.gif), Iz, Mattias and Jaco for rating all 20 singles! cheer.gif

Here be a reminder of what you voted:
QUOTE(Adam @ Sep 13 2015, 02:13 AM) *
CODE
  1. Fireflies
  2. Vanilla Twilight
  3. Hello Seattle
  4. Unbrella Beach
  5. To the Sky
  6. Peppermint Winter
  7. Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
  8. Galaxies
  9. Deer in the Headlights
  10. Lonely Lullaby
  11. Angels
  12. Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
  13. Shooting Star
  14. Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
  15. Metropolis
  16. Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
  17. Tokyo (feat. NEKAI NO OWARI)
  18. Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
  19. My Everything
  20. Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

Click here to revisit the voting thread to see what scores you gave if you wish smile.gif

Results MAY begin tonight depending on whether Mattias is around and/or he's stil up to the challenge of co-hosting biggrin.gif

So be sure to dress to the nines with your shirt and tie! cheer.gif

This post has been edited by Adam's Cauldron: Oct 23 2015, 02:11 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 15 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
Yes, I am still up for co-hosting. Clean your inbox so we can discuss this.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 15 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #3
Group icon
QUOTE(Mattias @ Oct 15 2015, 06:52 PM) *
Yes, I am still up for co-hosting. Clean your inbox so we can discuss this.

omg yes sorry! blush.gif
Set yer alarm 4 tomoz w00t.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 16 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#20: Hello Seattle

I will disguise myself as a sleeping pill and descend inside of you... (laugh.gif)

Avg: 6.33

hi.gif Seattle: Cody (8.5), Jaco (8), Spinning Adam (8)

:bye: Seattle: Liam (2), Iz (4)

Total score from all voters (6): 38

Taken From: Of June (EP) and re-released from Ocean Eyes

Unfortunately the oldest single of the bunch has not picked up much interest from our voters this week. Originally included on his very first EP Of June under the name Owl City, it was re-recorded and released as a single on Ocean Eyes, which included a bit more "kick" in the instrumental and re-recorded vocals. I didn't like this song at first, back when I was early on discovering his music after I was loving the singles surrounding Fireflies (which is what got me into Owl City). I grew to like this with what I consider is dreamy lyrics, as were most of the pre-Ocean Eyes songs, and this also got me to like his Of June/Maybe I'm Dreaming songs more biggrin.gif

The lyric video above has gained a very impressive 11 million views (without even being an official lyric video), surpassing even some of his more recent official music video views posted to his VEVO channel ohmy.gif A remix of Hello Seattle (which is just amazing) was also included as a bonus track on Ocean Eyes, which I also felt like playing on plug.dj which got a fair reception, probably because there were very little vocals on it and the production was flawless music.gif

Still In We Have:

20. Hello Seattle
  • Fireflies
  • Vanilla Twilight
  • Unbrella Beach
  • To the Sky
  • Peppermint Winter
  • Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
  • Galaxies
  • Deer in the Headlights
  • Lonely Lullaby
  • Angels
  • Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
  • Shooting Star
  • Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
  • Metropolis
  • Tokyo (feat. NEKAI NO OWARI)
  • Beautiful Times (feat, Lindsey Stirling)
  • Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
  • My Everything
  • Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

This post has been edited by Adam's Cauldron: Oct 16 2015, 02:45 PM

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 16 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #5
Group icon
#19: Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)

Edge of the earth and we're touching the sky tonight
Out on the verge of the rest of our lives

Avg: 7.25

out on the verge of yay: Spinning Adam (9.5), Mattias (10)
out on the verge of nay: Liam (4)

Total score from all voters (6): 43.5

Appears on Owl City's latest studio album, Mobile Orchestra, 2015

This was the lead single from Mobile Orchestra and I was honestly a bit surprised at it being this low. Both the song and video have a graduation theme, and also the idea that this day is the beginning of the rest of your life. The video sees Adam Young, who has called himself someone who can't dance, make what is probably, at least by his standards, the best attempt he has ever made at dancing in a music video (when he's not getting distracted by technology). Uplifting. The song reached #3 in Twitter's Real-Time Chart, based on shares and mentions.

Still in:

19. Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
20. Hello Seattle
  • Fireflies
  • Vanilla Twilight
  • Umbrella Beach
  • To the Sky
  • Peppermint Winter
  • Galaxies
  • Deer in the Headlights
  • Lonely Lullaby
  • Angels
  • Shooting Star
  • Metropolis
  • Verge (feat. Aloe Blacc)
  • My Everything
  • Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

This post has been edited by Mattias: Oct 17 2015, 01:17 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 16 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I was also a bit sad it was this low too sob.gif
Did not know about the Twitter thing! dance.gif
And yeah dancing isn't his strong point. At least it was better than in Good Time IIRC heehee.gif

Here's my personal chart run for anyone who may just be interested (positions are per half a week):

[23/05/15] Owl City ft. Aloe Blacc - Verge [3-3-23-3-2-2-3-4-4-6-10-12-16-18-17-18-23-25-23-22-22-32-31-31-33-33>28] [color=#FF0000]746K

Ouch at all those weeks at #2! ohmy.gif I think it was Avicii who blocked it from #1, or LarsM kink.gif

This post has been edited by Adam's Cauldron: Oct 16 2015, 03:42 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 16 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #7
Group icon
#18: Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)

It's unbelievable, this is as good as it gets. It's unbelievable, don't know what's gonna happen next...

Avg: 7.58

It's unbelievably good! music.gif Mattias (10), Spinning Adam (8), Iz (8)

It's unbelievably dissapointing nocheer.gif no one cheer.gif

Total score from all voters (6): 45.5

Taken From: Mobile Orchestra, 5th studio album (2015)

At #18 we have another single from MO, which kind of shows that the old Adam hasn't been as on top of his form as he has been prior to. Its average vote of over 7.5 is still very good though, but not as good as the rest of the bunch wink.gif

The song incorporates whistling in a similar fashion to Gold, taken from The Midsummer Station and the Shooting Star EP (if only it was a single cry.gif) and its lyrics are great because it reminds you of all the great things you did as a kid. Adam also did a thing were fans had to rearrange the lyrics in order to recieve Owl City goodies!

Coincidentally, the lyrics also are a similar fashion to the collab Adam has done with Relient K, That's My Jam, which is quite similar sounding also. This music video is the only animated music video by Owl City so far!

Still In We Have:

18. Unbelievable (feat. Hanson)
20. Hello Seattle
  • Fireflies
  • Vanilla Twilight
  • Unbrella Beach
  • To the Sky
  • Peppermint Winter
  • Galaxies
  • Deer in the Headlights
  • Lonely Lullaby
  • Angels
  • Shooting Star
  • Metropolis
  • My Everything

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 16 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Good Time to win hopefully heart.gif

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 17 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #9
Group icon
#17: My Everything

When trouble comes and goes
And when the cold wind blows
I lift my hands up, I lift my hands up

Avg: 7.70

Their everything heart.gif Jaco (9), Mattias (8.5), Spinning Adam (8)
Their nothing: no one biggrin.gif

Total score from all voters (5): 38.5

Taken from: Mobile Orchestra, 5th album (2015)

So it happens that we lose all three singles from Mobile Orchestra early on, one after another, at least all the ones from the International Edition (could there be more singles to be released from it though? ohmy.gif) - we still have Tokyo to come, which was included on the Japanese Edition (how fitting eh).

The ballad My Everything is one of the songs by Owl City that most deals with his faith. He says "I feel like if I were ever to hide the fact that that's what's so important to me, it would be a crime, that I should probably be put in jail for that". To me the lyrics also seem like they could be sung to a person that you are extremely close to, someone you trust. "When my hope is lost, and my strength is gone, I run to you and you alone". The lyrics are very mushy, but I at least appreciate the fact that the guy is pouring his heart out. The melody is beautiful, especially in the chorus.

The simple music video above shows Adam walking through a forest, alternating between light and dark, which probably represents being lost and in a dark place, and finding hope again through faith.

Adam has done short commentary videos for certain songs on Mobile Orchestra, including this one:

Tunage that is still in music.gif

17. My Everything
20. Hello Seattle
  • Fireflies
  • Vanilla Twilight
  • Umbrella Beach
  • To the Sky
  • Peppermint Winter
  • Galaxies
  • Deer in the Headlights
  • Lonely Lullaby
  • Angels
  • Shooting Star
  • Metropolis
  • Tokyo (feat. SEKAI NO OWARI)
  • Beautiful Times (feat. Lindsey Stirling)

Gonna listen to the Port Blue stuff btw! I love the track you posted here Adam!

This post has been edited by Mattias: Oct 17 2015, 01:15 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 17 2015, 03:19 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Yeah sadly all of the Mobile Orchestra singles (so far anyway) are out so early sob.gif
I gave it an 8? ohmy.gif I might have overrated it just a tad. I think maybe it should have been a 7.5 tbh, but never mind.
And yes Port Blue is great! heart.gif that track Silver Blueberry is probably my favourite one so I thought why not make it play while you read the results in the background biggrin.gif

#16: Shooting Star

When the sun goes down and the lights burn out, then it's time for you to shine, brighter than a shooting star...

Avg: 7.70

Shining brighter than a shooting star wub.gif : Spinning Adam (10), Cody (9.5) --> Cody knows where it's at biggrin.gif
Weighed down by heavy thoughts nocheer.gif : nil pois funky.gif

Total score from all voters (5): 38.5

Taken from: Shooting Star Ep (2012) and The Midsummer Station (2013)

Just missing out of the top 15 is Shooting Star, which is one of the few songs to have managed a feat in the top 200 of the UK Singles Chart. It debuted and peaked at #176, which is "ok" for Adam post-Ocean Eyes if you think about it, and also the lowest top 200 peaking track if you don't count Middledistancerunner by Chicane which he is credited as Adam Young, which peaked at . It was first included on the Shooting Star EP, his first EP since his first ever release Of June in 2007. It was also included on his fourth studio album, The Midsummer Station the following year and was originally going to be the lead single until he decided to give Good Time with Carly Rae Jepsen the title, following the success of the amazing Call Me Maybe wub.gif TMS is also my favourite album by him, currently, and I was sad to see this go out so early cry.gif

Shooting Star matched the same average as My Everything, but SS had a higher vote than the latter, a 10 (from me tongue.gif) which means this one comes above My Everything. A beautiful video and song, both of which have been comparable to Katy Perry's Firework which I'm also a big fan of, maybe that's why it flopped here thinking.gif

Some more facts from Wikipedia if you care to read tongue.gif :

Adam Young began to write "Shooting Star" in 2008 with Relient K's Matt Thiessen. The song was planned for inclusion on Owl City's Ocean Eyes album (2009), but it didn't make the cut. As work began on the follow-up album, The Midsummer Station (2012), Young brought a 90-second demo of the "old leftover instrumental idea" to Norwegian record producing and songwriting team Stargate, who helped complete the composition. Young recalled, "All the lyrics were basically written on the spot during those two days... and then I went back home to my own studio in Minnesota to cut the final (version). I think I tweaked some lyrics here and there to make everything feel better, and then the song was finished."

Your top 15 still in yahoo.gif music.gif
CODE
16. Shooting Star
17. My Everything
20. Hello Seattle

Fireflies
    Vanilla Twilight
    Umbrella Beach
    To the Sky
    Peppermint Winter
    Alligator Sky (feat. Shawn Chrystopher)
    Galaxies
    Deer in the Headlights
    Lonely Lullaby
    Angels
    Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
    Good Time (with Carly Rae Jepsen)
    Metropolis
    Tokyo (feat. SEKAI NO OWARI)
    Beautiful Times (feat. Lindsey Stirling)

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 17 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Yeah I think maybe I overrated My Everything just a bit too, gave it 8.5. Shooting Star... it's one of those things, it just seems to work so much better with the video, rather than the song on its own. I do think now that maybe my 7 for it was a bit low. It wasn't the lowest score for it though, as Jaco and Iz gave it 6.

More results coming up today, if all goes well.

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 17 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #12
Group icon
#15: Peppermint Winter

I rip off the wrapping and tear through the box
Till I end up with 45 new pairs of socks

Avg: 7.75

Holiday cheer cheer.gif Iz (9), Jaco (9), Cody (8)
45 old pairs of socks: unsure.gif

Total score from all voters (6): 46.5

Christmas single (2010)

Getting all Xmassy now with this one heehee.gif This sweet little tune talks all about the moments people experience during Christmas - namely snowball fights, slipping on the sidewalk and falling on your face, hopping in the sleigh, gliding away, sipping on moonlight, having a runny nose, feeling alive even though your toes are frosty, smiling wide, having your mean older brother stuff snow down your coat, and finally, ripping off the wrapping and ending up with 45 new pairs of socks (haven't we all been there!).

Ooh, some fun technical facts from Wikipedia: The song is in 3/4 time at approximately 150 beats per minute. It is written in C Major with a key change at the end to D Major. Adam's range in the song spans from the notes E3 to A5. So there you go.

One reviewer rather amusingly said: "the saccharine love song to snowballs and sleigh rides gives us the same feeling we get when we eat too many candy canes in one sitting. Somebody get Owl City's prankster buddy Ke$ha on the remix of this track to pour some much needed Schnapps all over it." I do wonder how that would go thinking.gif

Adam really quite succeeded in Owl City-cizing the whole Christmas single concept - quirky and dreamy lyrics, sweet melody, ecstatic synths.

Currently have the song on repeat as I'm preparing this music.gif (didn't think to do that with any of the other songs)

Still in:

15. Peppermint Winter
16. Shooting Star
17. My Everything
20. Hello Seattle
  • Fireflies
  • Vanilla Twilight
  • Umbrella Beach
  • To the Sky
  • Galaxies
  • Deer in the Headlights
  • Lonely Lullaby
  • Angels
  • Metropolis

This post has been edited by Mattias: Oct 17 2015, 10:47 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 17 2015, 10:54 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I did not know the song spanned E3 to A5 unsure.gif I guess that makes me a true flopstan sad.gif

Haven't been listening to that one as much as the others, I guess that'll be changing as we get closer to Xmas and I do my Xmas chart again funky.gif

I really liked the other Christmas song Light of Christmas with TobyMac, recorded for the VeggieTales film (unsure.gif, I am not planning on watching that :/) and another one called Kiss Me Babe It's Christmas Time also came out last year but it was a little underwhelming iirc (I also made a thread on it)

I've already prepared the code for #14 but it's on my laptop that is currently hiding from me as I type this; please wait until the morning wink.gif

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 17 2015, 11:08 PM
Post #14
Group icon
QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 17 2015, 11:54 PM) *
Kiss Me Babe It's Christmas Time also came out last year but it was a little underwhelming iirc (I also made a thread on it)

Yeah, I prefer Peppermint Winter. It's better than Rugs from Me to You though laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 18 2015, 11:05 AM
Post #15
Group icon
#14: Metropolis

Oh, oh, I can't even take it in, I left my heart in Metropolis...

Avg: 7.88

Left your heart in Metropolis (and getting it back biggrin.gif): Jaco (8.5), Mattias & Spinning Adam (8)
Left your heart in Metropolis (to find out it's been stolen nocheer.gif) : whistle.gif

Total score from all voters (4): 31.5

Taken from: The Midsummer Station, 4th album (2012)

Up next we have Metropolis. A nice little song indeed, however, I would've prefered something like Dementia or Gold to have been singles. They might also have done better commercially. The music video isn't my favourite and I personally don't really think it fits with the song but I guess I kind of like the idea of it, however I prefer the mysterious music videos from him. I gave this an 8, but only because the first bit (oh oh, I can't even take it in) is a bit underwhelming compared to the fairly powerful pre/chorus. It was the third and final single from TMS.

Ha bopz still in: yahoo.gif music.gif
CODE
14. Metropolis
15. Peppermint Winter
16. Shooting Star
17. My Everything
20. Hello Seattle

Fireflies
    Vanilla Twilight
    Umbrella Beach
    To the Sky
    Galaxies
    Deer in the Headlights
    Lonely Lullaby
    Angels
    Dreams Don't Turn to Dust

This post has been edited by Adam's Cauldron: Oct 18 2015, 10:26 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 18 2015, 11:15 AM
Post #16
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
A mention of That's My Jam <3 The lyrics for Unbelievable are a nostalgic mainly for people slightly older than me but it's still a good tune.

No huge losses so far though although very pleased to see Peppermint Winter at least not in the bottom 5, it's cute and by far his best Christmas song.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Oct 18 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #17
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
I thought Owl City was a sanctuary for owl's?

Are these songs released to support the cause? I know Carly Rae Jepsen did a song to support the cause. The only track keeping her from looking like a one hit wonder. Bless her heart.

+Quote this post
m
post Oct 18 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #18
Group icon
#13: Dreams Don't Turn to Dust

When tiger eyes begin making you blush
And when diamonds boast that they can't be crushed
Let 'em go 'cause dreams don't turn to dust

Avg: 7.90

Diamonds boast about their love for this song: Jaco (8.5), Iz (8), Spinning Adam (8), Mattias (8)
Splash down into a nightmare: nope

Total score from all voters (5): 39.5

Taken from: All Things Bright and Beautiful, 3rd album (2011)

At #13 we have the first song to go out from the All Things Bright and Beautiful album. This is probably one of his most rhythm-based songs. The drums really carry it. The climax of the song for me is the middle eight, which starts quietly with Adam whispering "I'm sad to see you go, but I'd rather be alone", after which it gets very energetic and Adam exclaims "When tiger eyes begin making you BLUUUUUUSH", soon followed by the classic Owl City synth. Yup, good track.

Hiding in the shadows, yet to be revealed ph34r.gif

13. Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
14. Metropolis
15. Peppermint Winter
16. Shooting Star
17. My Everything
20. Hello Seattle
  • Fireflies
  • Vanilla Twilight
  • Umbrella Beach
  • To the Sky
  • Galaxies
  • Deer in the Headlights
  • Lonely Lullaby
  • Angels

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Oct 18 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #19
Group icon
#12: Galaxies

Dear God, I was terribly lost when the galaxie crossed and the sun went dark...

Avg: 8

Following the North Star biggrin.gif: Mattias, Spinning Adam (10)
The Sun went dark (and you froze to death) manson.gif : Iz (5) (to be fair he does call himself Ice sometimes, so yeah :')

Total score from all voters (4): 32

Taken from: All Things Bright And Beautiful, 3rd album (2011)

<3
At position 1-2 we have Galaxies! I do love this track. It's production is very fun and Adam's vocals are just perfect as ever. It's one of the few songs where he refers to an actual "God" in the lyrics, which shows his faith in Christianity. Definitely a great choice of single imo wub.gif

Which of these have missed the top 10? thinking.gif music.gif
CODE
12. Galaxies
13. Dreams Don't Turn to Dust
14. Metropolis
15. Peppermint Winter
16. Shooting Star
17. My Everything
20. Hello Seattle

Fireflies
    Vanilla Twilight
    Umbrella Beach
    To the Sky
    Deer in the Headlights
    Lonely Lullaby
    Angels

This post has been edited by Adam's Cauldron: Oct 18 2015, 10:26 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 18 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Galaxies is just a bit basic in terms of aural progression. It doesn't go many interesting places for me (and it really should being called 'Galaxies' and all).

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:38 AM