BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> UK music certification relaunched, The BRIT Certified Platinum, Gold & Silver Awards unveiled
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JCM20
post 6th April 2018, 08:53 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,819
By Jack White

The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) have announced new changes to UK music certification.

After 45 years in their former guise, The BRIT Certified Platinum, Gold & Silver Awards have been unveiled, a new identity in association with the BRIT Awards. Certified Awards are given out to popular singles and albums based on sales and streaming volumes tracked by the Official Charts Company.

Still administered by the BPI – the UK record labels association which owns and organises The BRIT Awards – the certifications will now become part of The BRITs family. This will enable the awards to reach a larger audience while keeping the BRITs engaged with music fans all year round.

Geoff Taylor, Chief Executive BPI & BRIT Awards, said: "The BPI’s Platinum, Gold and Silver Awards are woven into the narrative of British music and are the official mark of a record’s popularity. On social media, fans love to celebrate their favourite artists reaching a big new milestone.

"Given that The BRITs are the UK’s biggest platform for artistic achievement, with millions of fans at home and around the world, it makes sense for the BPI to bring the official sales awards under the BRITs banner."

In addition to the Platinum, Gold and Silver certifications, a new BRIT Certified Breakthrough Award will also be introduced, given to acts whose debut album has passed combined sales of 30,000.

The first new BRIT Certified Award recipients include Stormzy, MNEK, George Ezra, Camila Cabello and The Weeknd, with future announcements to be made over at the BRIT Awards Twitter account @BRITs.

The Carpenters’ Yesterday Once More and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John were among the first singles and albums awarded when certification was devised in 1973, while recently, Amy Winehouse passed 3.9 million combined album sales to be named 13x Platinum.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 6th April 2018, 09:03 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
That bronze award sounds awful. The artist getting it wont give a toss witg their gold and platinum albums. It should have been for indie artist only.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 6th April 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366
It sounds like a rather underwhelming relaunch with the main certifications staying the same while acknowledging that albums sell fewer copies these days by introducing a "starter" award for up and coming acts and artists. The BPI should have either put up the threshold for singles certifications back to pre-1989 levels or introduced a "millionaire" certification for sales and streams.

+Quote this post
ben08
post 6th April 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 5,152
First BRIT Gold award.

Here's the new certified levels (from BBC web site).

This post has been edited by ben08: 6th April 2018, 12:29 PM

+Quote this post
Gambo
post 6th April 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106
Despite there being understandable reasoning for the hotch-potch they've made of the weekly charts by combining two entirely distinct ways of consuming music into one tabulation, I have never seen that there is such impetus for combining paid-for sales and rented audio streams for the purpose of bestowing BPI certifications. In that context if nowhere else nowadays, sales should remain just that - actual sales, uncomplicated by the clumsy equations to create notional sales units from streaming. However, in this era of steadily-declining sales across digital and physical formats apparently in favour of streaming, a new series of awards should have been created to honour those who are tracked as having attained certain streaming totals - and by this I mean actual streaming numbers, not some artificial equivalent figure based on a ratio of streams to actual sales. So there could've been say Silver = 50m, Gold = 100m, Platinum = 200m or whatever would be considered suitable points for awards. I believe some sort of awards are given for the number of registered plays on radio (don't know the details), and so I'd envisage it would work similarly to that - i.e. entirely separately from whatever titles manage to achieve in respect of paid-for copies. But of course this is a complete fantasy. As it is, I don't really see how this will translate into anything different to now, bar perhaps certification receiving a little more press interest if it has the word 'Brit' prefacing it.

This post has been edited by Gambo: 6th April 2018, 03:22 PM

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 6th April 2018, 03:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The bronze awards will be pretty much worthless unless they provide publicity for the recipients - and not just those who have a big debut hit. If Sounds Like Friday Night becomes a long-term show - rather than just short runs - perhaps they could have a slot for bronze award recipients.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 6th April 2018, 03:52 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429
QUOTE(sammy01 @ Apr 6 2018, 10:03 AM) *
That bronze award sounds awful. The artist getting it wont give a toss witg their gold and platinum albums. It should have been for indie artist only.

It's for new artists only though. A lot of them won't reach gold.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 6th April 2018, 05:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
QUOTE(AcerBen @ Apr 6 2018, 04:52 PM) *
It's for new artists only though. A lot of them won't reach gold.

Then they wont get a 2nd album.

Honestly if a major label artist isn't going silver they aren't getting a 2nd album. So make this for indie label artists, where 30k is an achievement.

+Quote this post
Supercell
post 7th April 2018, 07:35 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 11,831
Yeah I don't understand what this is all about especially as its the same as the BPI awards.

I agree though that the certifications should be changed back to pre 1989 levels. Its so easy now for a song to shift a million units now let alone 600k given you can add endless sales units from streaming. Even the download era saw a huge level of songs selling that much but with streaming its doubled it.

Also how has Havana only been certified Gold, surely its shifted over a million units now which would make it platinum?

This post has been edited by Supercell: 7th April 2018, 07:38 AM

+Quote this post
Supercell
post 7th April 2018, 07:42 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 11,831
Ignore my last comment not had my morning cup of tea yet laugh.gif

+Quote this post