BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Which solo singles could have been group singles?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Padamic Tension
post Apr 16 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
What one solo single from the girls do you think would have made a great spice girls single?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Apr 16 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Apr 16 2020, 01:06 PM) *
What one solo single from the girls do you think would have made a great spice girls single?

Mi chico latino could have been an incredible Spice Girls single wub.gif I'll be there by Emma would work really well too. wub.gif

+Quote this post
McAndrew
post Apr 16 2020, 02:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,551
Maybe. And also, not a single but I think they'd do a lovely job of 'Suddenly Monday' as a group.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Apr 16 2020, 02:16 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Apr 16 2020, 05:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Apr 16 2020, 12:51 PM) *
Mi chico latino could have been an incredible Spice Girls single wub.gif I'll be there by Emma would work really well too. wub.gif

NO!! sick2.gif

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Apr 16 2020, 12:51 PM) *

YES cheer.gif

Honestly, I never really got why people think that Geri - and some of Emma tbh - first singles that are soooo much like the Spice Girls ones. More like she tried to recreate their sound but ended up sounding more like covers of songs by Steps sleep.gif

Personally, I don't see the group releasing any song that was a single by any of them as solo acts. Maybe Northern Star (song) for its lyrical quality and production, and a couple from Free Me but even then, I think this is all a stretch tbh

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 16 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Ya bag it up could have been good as geris vocals let it down. I think it of your mind could have made a good forever single.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Apr 16 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 16 2020, 06:39 PM) *
NO!! sick2.gif
YES cheer.gif

Honestly, I never really got why people think that Geri - and some of Emma tbh - first singles that are soooo much like the Spice Girls ones. More like she tried to recreate their sound but ended up sounding more like covers of songs by Steps sleep.gif

Personally, I don't see the group releasing any song that was a single by any of them as solo acts. Maybe Northern Star (song) for its lyrical quality and production, and a couple from Free Me but even then, I think this is all a stretch tbh

So which are you saying yes to and which is no? 😂

I don’t think Mi Chico Latino even sounds like a Spice Girls song but they have always done well with Spanish influenced music so I reckon they could have made MCL sounds brilliant (it already is anyway in the top 5 solo spice singles EASILY!)

I also don’t think Geri necessarily tried to “recreate” the Spice Girls sounds rather she was a huge part of the writing of the Spice Girls songs. The reason her solo stuff sounds ‘cheaper’ is because it’s missing the flavour of the other 4 girls which stopped Spice Girls stuff being too bubblegum like Geri’s solo stuff is. The beauty of a mix of their styles and flavour (also explains why Headlines was so disappointing as it’s just Geri and Emma lol).

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: Apr 16 2020, 08:22 PM

+Quote this post
tommie
post Apr 17 2020, 04:00 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
Better Alone x

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Apr 17 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
I've never thought of any solo song could have been a Spice Girls song but every now and again a song comes along I think that could be the type of modern song the girls could record now. Call me maybe always felt like the type of song a modern Spice Girls song would be like to me when it was released.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Apr 17 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
I remember thinking Something New by Girls Aloud would've been a fantastic Spice Girls single.

Can just imagine Mel B and Geri doing the Nadine and Cheryl parts.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post Apr 17 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829
I've always wanted the girls to work with Xenomania.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Apr 17 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(schizo_spice @ Apr 17 2020, 06:30 PM) *
I remember thinking Something New by Girls Aloud would've been a fantastic Spice Girls single.

Can just imagine Mel B and Geri doing the Nadine and Cheryl parts.

I remember hearing something new and thinking now why wasn’t this the comeback song for Spice Girls Mel B and Geri would have killed the chanting parts... they could have called it Leaders of the pack rather than something new 😍

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post Apr 17 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576
Bag it up indeed and for the non singles I think Goodnight Kiss screams Spice

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Apr 17 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Apr 17 2020, 07:11 PM) *
I remember hearing something new and thinking now why wasn’t this the comeback song for Spice Girls Mel B and Geri would have killed the chanting parts... they could have called it Leaders of the pack rather than something new 😍

Exactly.

+Quote this post
Piers
post Apr 18 2020, 04:04 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
It's interesting to me that several don't think their solo work could be group songs.

I'm much the opposite. I think quite a lot of their solo work could have been group material.

I mean, they couldn't pull off Goin' Down or anything. And I don't think much of the more adult contemporary stuff would fit them (particularly Mel C's music from Reason through This Time). But I guess it depends on what you believe checks the boxes for a Spice Girls song. For me...the upbeat songs are the type of dancey that fit a choreographed routine...anything retro-sounding also makes the cut...and it'd need to have a chorus that'd fit a group performance.

Geri's stuff, in particular, has a lot of technically well-crafted songs that are only held back by her vocal limitations. If the group recorded Mi Chico Latino and Bag It Up, we'd probably view them in the same way we do the Spiceworld material. Feels So Good and Tell Me would easily fit on Forever (same producers). I Turn To You would be a killer stadium song. Never Be the Same Again could have been an even bigger deal as Spice Girls ft. Left Eye. The Free Me album was based on the 60s girl group sound, anyway. It could have been a cool one-off retro project for the girls.

Anyway. All hypotheticals. But I do think the solo Spices themselves are the best indicator of what the group would have sounded like had they soldiered on. And even though some believe their later solo material would be beneath the group...the reality is the Spice Girls' Scream If You Wanna Go Faster would probably be better liked by fans than VooDoo.

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post Apr 18 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576
Most of their solo stuff could work really

A world without you

Closer

Goodnight Kiss

Maybe

Bag it up

Love is the only light

Strength of a woman

IOU

and more but I can't remember now

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:58 AM