BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Mack's #ThrowbackThursday 00s Edition, 25th Apr- Bloodhound Gang, Freeloaders, La Roux
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 25th May 2023, 02:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

From the #ThrowbackThurday on the R&B and Hip-Hop forum. I have been asked by awardinary and Roba to start a 00s edition of this. each Thursday we will get a flashback into the chart with some of the songs from the 00s, they'll be some big hits and not so well-known hits. I hope you enjoy this thread.

This Week:

2003- Avril Lavigne- I'm With You

The first song for this week is: I'm With You was the third single to be released from Avril Lavigne's debut studio album 'Let Gp' This was a different approach from their previous two singles 'Complicated' and 'Sk8er Boi'. This would go on and peak at #7 in the UK. In the US it would fare better and peak at #4. In 2011 this was sampled by Rihanna for her track 'Cheers (Drink To That). This is one of my favourites from Avril Lavigne.

2005- Oasis- Lyla

'Lyla' was the first single to be released from Oasis sixth studio album 'Don't Believe The Truth'. This would go on and become their 7th UK #1 by knocking off Akon's 'Lonely'. At the time when this was released, I remember at primary school, my classmates were annoyed that this knocked off 'Lonely' off the #1 spot. However I enjoyed this song.

2006- Will Young- Who Am I

'Who Am I' was the third single to be released from Will Young's third studio album 'Keep On' The music video at the time I thought was quite bizarre with an montage of clips from Blue Peter with Will superimposed over the presenters, then at the end the announcer says now time for 'John Carven's Newsround'. This would be the first song to miss out the Top 5 and Top 10 for Will Young where it would peak at #11. A music video full of nostalgia for fans of Blue Peter.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 25th May 2023, 02:46 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Hey Mack, nice mix of picks there.

I'm With You is my fave Avril song and one of the best ballads from this era.

As big as an Oasis fan I am I've never really liked Lyla. So I was also someone who preferred Lonely at #1.

Who Am I is one of Will's best, at least post-Friday's Child (great album that btw).

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 25th May 2023, 03:16 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

Good picks there Mack, 'I'm With You' is certainly one of the best ballads of the noughties and would likely feature on a all time ballads list as well, for several people here no doubt.

'Lyla' is good but I prefer 'The Importance Of Being Idle' that followed and 'Who Am I' deserved to be another top 5 for Will. Shame it missed the top 10 and had a great video to boot!

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 25th May 2023, 11:13 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Yay thanks Mack, it’s great to have you do this and each week we can chat about our memories of the tracks you share! So here goes mine for this week;

Avril Lavigne was one of the most successful female recording artists of the decade and I owned her debut album from which this song was taken, it was certainly an emotional one and showcased the potential star that she was going to become.

Oasis had a few good hits in this decade, and Lyla was quite a surprising UK #1 single, and I wouldn’t say one of my favourites from the, either at the time. Maybe I will enjoy it more in the future but it’s not one I revisit much really.

Will Young released a very nostalgic music video for Who Am I that I recall without rewatching it, I remember scenes reenacted from Blue Peter. It was probably my favourite song from this era from him, and I am glad it made the release of Now That’s What I Call Music! 64 at the time.

Looking forward to next week! smile.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 26th May 2023, 01:59 AM
Post #5
Group icon

You're more than welcome.

I thought 'Lyla' was a surprise #1 at the time as well

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 26th May 2023, 12:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Rob aah

Maybe cause I wasn't following the charts at that point but I wouldn't have guessed 'Lyla' was a surprise #1 tbh lol.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 26th May 2023, 02:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

The previous 4 Oasis lead singles were #1s, so Lyla didn't strike me as a surprise #1 really.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 1st June 2023, 02:39 PM
Post #8
Group icon

This Week:

2003- t.A.t.U- Not Gonna Get Us

The first song for this week is: 'Not Gonna Get Us' which was the second single from Russian music duo t.A.T.u's first English-language album '200 km/h in the Wrong Lane'. The music video attracted less attention compared to 'All The Things She Said'. This may be a controversial view but I prefered this to 'All The Things She Said'. I think when I saw this on Top of The Pops it was the music video that was played instead of a live performance. This would go on to peak at #7 in the UK.

2004- Special D- Come With Me

'Come With Me' was the only hit in the UK for German DJ 'Special D'. This was played at the school disco back when I was in Year 5 and it did get people on the dancefloor. This would peak at #6 in the UK. This would probably be a staple on those Ministry of Sound and Clubfillers dance albums.

2007- Manic Street Preachers ft Nina Persson- Your Love Alone Is Not Enough

'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough' was the second single to be released from Manic Street Preachers' eighth studio album 'Send Away The Tigers'. This would feature Nina Persson who is the lead singer of Swedish ban The Cardigans. I remember being gutted that this didn't go to #1 which lost out to the allstar collaboration from that time which was Beyonce/Shakira's 'Beautiful Liar'.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 1st June 2023, 03:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Great trio there. I loved all of tatu's 3 UK hits.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 1st June 2023, 09:17 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Rob aah

'Not Gonna Get Us' is a fantastic song from t.A.T.u. also like the other two there as well.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 6th June 2023, 12:43 PM
Post #11
Group icon

Commentary now included.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 6th June 2023, 05:44 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Rob aah

Kinda passed me by that Nina was the Cardigans lead singer lol. Makes sense obviously with her voice.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 9th June 2023, 12:48 PM
Post #13
Group icon

A day later due to the Buzzjack outage

This Week:

2002- Ant & Dec- We're On The Ball

The first song for this week, be warned it's an unpopular choice it's Ant & Dec with their official song for the 2002 FIFA World Cup with 'We're On The Ball'. I'm sorry to include this, it is a song that I do listen to when its the Euros and Worlds. It makes references to that 5-1 win over Germany on 1st September 2001. At the time this would be Ant & Dec's highest charting song which would peak at #3. It makes references of the England football team.

2005- Gorillaz ft De La Soul- Feel Good Inc.

The first song for this week is 'Feel Good Inc.' which was the lead single from Gorillaz's second studio album' 'Demon Days'. This would feature vocals from US hip-hop group 'De La Soul'. I would consider this song to be one of my favourite songs of all time, 'Feel Good Inc.' topped my Top 100 Songs of the 2000s which is on the Countdowns and End of Years Charts for those who want to have a look which I did back in 2015. I said this about the song at the time:

We have this from Gorillaz. The most listened song of the decade this from them. Truly a brilliant song this was forom them. Different at the time. But this all always be my favourite song of the 00s.

Also I remember this being played a lot on the Freeview music channels which were The Hits and TMF.

2009- Daniel Merriweather- Red

'Red' was the second single from Daniel Merriweather's second studio album 'Love & War'. This would peak at #5 in the UK where it would stay in that position for four straight weeks. I was quite a fan of this when it was released, not one where I would immediately change the radio or music channel if this came on. I would think that this is underrated in my view. I was probably the only person in the MAB at my high school who would listen to this whilist others would play Miley's 'Fly On The Wall' very loud.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 9th June 2023, 01:43 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Rob aah

Didn't mind 'We're On The Ball' personally. 'Feel Good Inc' is great and 'Red' is one of the best male ballads of the noughites for me.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 9th June 2023, 02:59 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(Roba! @ Jun 9 2023, 02:43 PM) *
Didn't mind 'We're On The Ball' personally. 'Feel Good Inc' is great and 'Red' is one of the best male ballads of the noughites for me.

Cheers for commenting mate. 'Feel Good Inc' is an bonafide classic.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 9th June 2023, 03:02 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Never heard of Daniel Merryweather in my life :loñ: Song sounds alright though tbh.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 9th June 2023, 05:55 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Rob aah

QUOTE(Big Fat Sue @ Jun 9 2023, 04:02 PM) *
Never heard of Daniel Merryweather in my life :loñ: Song sounds alright though tbh.

Actually that could make sense he only had like 2 of 3 hits lol. 'Stop Me' I'm sure you'll recognise though.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 14th June 2023, 07:59 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

Hey Mack,

Sincere apologies for my lack of input on this thread, let me catch up;

t.A.T.u are of course an icon of the 2000s albeit for a short time period, and this lesser remembered single was quite a good one, I like the production and I’m glad it was able to give the duo another hit to their name, as well as featuring on the 55th volume in the Now That’s What I Call Music series. I would have liked more hits from them I think.

Come With Me was a song that emerged toward the end of that dance era of trance and techno, but it was surely one of the better dance releases of 2004. I was reading that there is a song in a current song contest on BuzzJack that sounds just like this apparently, I am yet to hear it.

That Manics song was not one of their highlights for me but I guess it wasn’t too bad, I don’t think I have heard it in some years though. Nice that Nina of The Cardigans could have a hit to her name though I guess. Did she ever have another solo hit she was credited with?

I have a soft spot for We’re On The Ball. It featured England legends of the time! One of my earworm World Cup songs for sure haha. I have no issues with it being included here and I too give it a spin on my football playlist whenever it’s Euros or World Cup season.

Gorillaz next with what I guess is their most famous hit? Although I think I have others favourites I prefer to this one personally, but still a solid choice of single and great to see it’s one of your favourite songs of all time Mack!

And for Red, I don’t seem to recall much about it at the time, but it sounds like a nice ballad. I guess he was the in thing for a brief time, but he didn’t seem to have any follow up hits to this one I do t think. Mark Ronson put him on the map didn’t he.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 15th June 2023, 02:32 PM
Post #19
Group icon

This Week:

2000- Madison Avenue- Don't Call Me Baby

The first song for this week is: 'Don't Call Me Baby' from Australian house music dupo Madison Avenue which originally peaked at #30 in the UK, this was re-released of May of 2000 which would peak at #1 in the UK. I do remember seeing the music video for this on Top of The Pops. It is a song that would feature on numerous dance albums. This is still a great tune from Madison Avenue.

2001- Travis- Sing

'Sing' which was the lead single from Travis' third studio album 'The Invisible Band'. This would peak at #3 in the UK. In the music video it features the band at a dinner party at a mansion and getting into a food fight. In the Top of The Pops performance, the band members would throw pies at each other and the audience. I remember that performance on Top of The Pops quite well. 'Sing' I would regard this as a good song from Travis.

2003- XTM & DJ Chucky present Annia- Fly On The Wings of Love

The final song for this week:'Fly On The Wings Of Love' was a cover version of Denmark's 2000 Eurovision Song Contest winner from the Olsen Brothers. Spanish dance act XTM would record and release a version of this song as dance track with DJ Chucky and vocals from Annia. This would peak at #8 in the UK. I quite enjoyed the animated music video of this, it was one that was on the playlist on my local radio at the time, I remember hearing this a lot during the 2003 heatwave that we had.

+Quote this post
Yobnedor
post 15th June 2023, 05:56 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Perfectly Pop
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 3,033

Madison Avenue for me!

+Quote this post