BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Marvel's Luke Cage, the third Marvel series on Netflix
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Oct 1 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Luke Cage is the third Marvel series, following Daredevil & Jessica Jones, as part of Netflix's Marvel universe (which is still part of the MCU) that will ultimately lead to 'The Defenders'! Mike Colter stars as the title character who made some appearances in Jessica Jones but now gets a full 13 episode series which was released in full on Netflix yesterday.

When a sabotaged experiment gives him super strength and unbreakable skin, Luke Cage becomes a fugitive attempting to rebuild his life in Harlem and must soon confront his past and fight a battle for the heart of his city.
Mike Colter has said of the character:
"He's a neighborhood hero, very much linked to New York and Jessica Jones. It's all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but Luke Cage is a darker, grittier, more tangible character than Iron Man or Thor. He likes to keep things close to his chest, operate on the hush-hush. He has these abilities but he’s not sure how and when to use them... He's a renaissance man, he's trying to better himself and there's something to be said about someone who's always trying to make themselves better, trying to change.

Very excited to watch this after enjoying both Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Jessica Jones in particular is probably my favourite series of recent years! The villains have particularly made the Netflix series stand out, which is interesting as that is where the movies fail, so I'm intrigued as to how good the one in Luke Cage is.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qween
post Mar 21 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
This show is so FUCKING STUPID. It started out so well too, the first 3 episodes were fantastic and had a great balance between story, action, character development and world building but since about episode 5 it's been spiralling down a rabbit hole of utter stupidity and, worst of all, it's deathly dull.

Mike Colter is also one of the most wooden actors I've ever seen in it. He was quite good in The Good Wife and he has the physicality for the part, but ask him to ACT at all and there's nothing there.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Mar 21 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #3
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Yeh, this turned out to be a lot duller than I expected. It took me forever to actually watch the series and just had to marathon the last few episodes to actually get it finished. I think the problem was trying to fill the 13 episode format, it probably would have been a lot better if it was just 8 or so episodes.

I've seen even worse reviews for Iron Fist as well which is a shame because I was really excited for that too. A lot of people are saying that is even duller so god help me lmao. I hope they pull it out of the bag for the Defenders series because I am seriously hyped for that and Jessica Jones was one of my favourite seasons of all time and I really grew to enjoy Daredevil after a slow start.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Mar 21 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
Absolutely agreed, what's worse is that every episode of this is longer than JJ (most of them clocked in about 48, this is about 53) yet has so much less stuff happening at any given point. I definitely think if they cut the order for the second season it could be vastly improved because all the building blocks are there for it to be great.

For me, having not yet watched Iron Fist, I would rank them:

01 Jessica Jones S1
02 Dardeveil S2
03 Dardeveil S1
04 Luke Cage S1

Defenders surely CANNOT FAIL packing all 4 of them plus QUEEN SIGOURNEY into 8 episodes? Even at it's worst Luke Cage still has Alfre chewing up the scenery as if her life depended on it.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Mar 21 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #5
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
I do like the Marvel shows, but I do agree they're far too long. Surely 8 or 10 episodes would suffice, I often find myself switching off during the show.

I did enjoy Luke Cage, but I felt the show differed from having a good 'bad' guy. Kingpin, The Punisher and David Tennant's character made for actual menaces against JJ and DD.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Mar 21 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
I love me some superhero shows but I really struggle to get into these. Daredevil I so want to enjoy and Charlie is an absolute stud in it but I cant get through it. It is deathly slow, like it just moves at snails pace the whole time.

I managed to get to ep 8 of Iron Fist, think I'll finish this one as Ward (Tom Pelphrey) is an incredible actor. He was amazing in Banshee and is by far the best part of Iron Fist. His breakdown is so amazingly acted so far of the 8 eps I've watched.

This post has been edited by sammy01: Mar 22 2017, 12:03 AM

+Quote this post
Tombo
post May 14 2018, 12:10 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I enjoyed this series, there were many well developed characters. I was annoyed at the slight Luke/Claire romance towards the end though as I think she is better suited to Daredevil and I want luke to be with Jessica like in the comics.

I liked Luke's final victory in the last episode though biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jun 25 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #8
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
Second season is on Netflix as of last Friday. Seen reviews saying it's both better and worse than the first season but there's still the consistent chimes that 13 episodes is too long. It has lead to the exec to say that you need those quieter calmer moments saying:

"Now, if he's saying every episode needs to be a pop single, he can have that Britney Spears shit. You know? Like, he wants Taylor Swift, Britney Spears. We're trying to make Zeppelin records.

"He's probably the kind of person who thinks that 'Stairway to Heaven' is a waste of time, you know what I'm saying? Like, God forbid that song meanders, especially as it builds to its climax. He's the kind of person who probably wanted to edit 'Bohemian Rhapsody', you know?

"There will be some people who prefer that stretch and then some people who are like, 'You know what, I like pop.' And I get it. It's cool. There's literally a million other things you could be doing, but if you like what we're doing, then I want to give the fans who like what we're doing as much as they can take."

Let's be honest, he's not creating a Bohemian Rhapsody here... Not seen this season yet but, previous ones, could definitely be shorter and still have those slower episodes.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Jun 25 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
I would be 100% here if this was an all killer, no filler 13 episode show. It's not that they're criticising character development and slower moments, it's that these shows ALL have enormous pacing issues. They pack about 90% of the story into 4/5 episodes and then have at least half a dozen episodes of almost NOTHING happening.

I will get around to this at some point, but S1 was SUCH a slog I'm not going to prioritise it.

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post Jun 25 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860
I could not get into S1 of this at all, I think I got to around episode 7 before I just couldn’t sit through it anymore, pretty much what was said above tbh ^ they just really desperately need to sort out these pacing issues, it baffles me how it’s still something they haven’t fixed yet in any of these marvel Netflix shows

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 25 2018, 09:24 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
S1 is really overrated. It was average at best. I have no hopes whatsoever for this as I still havent mamaged to finish Punisher or Jess Jones 2 yet! Really finding them a chore to get through.

TV shows are completely different to songs though. I don't get his point lmao.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Jul 22 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #12
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
1.5 seasons in and I still can’t get over Mariah being camper than Jessica Lange in AHS

+Quote this post
Qween
post Jul 22 2018, 10:12 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
Alfre Woodard is quite simply one of THE GREATEST scenery chewers to have ever appeared on screen.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:00 PM