BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Meta - regarding spoilers
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 25th March 2024, 11:47 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

From now on we will be trialling removing the spoiler tags (black bars) within SPOILER-marked threads, because of a difficulty reading them on iPhone with the tags enabled.

Can anybody who is watching week to week thus please try and avoid these threads. As the mod team we will avoid pinning these threads in the pinned section.

Please feedback any thoughts pro or anti in this thread, any feedback is welcomed & reverting the change is something we will also consider if there's demand for it.

Cheers - J00p & Calum
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
p a v
post 29th March 2024, 01:38 AM
Post #2
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

There’s really been a huge surge in spoiler threads and I already foresee the situation where I mistake one of those for a regular discussion. :’)
Never understood the point in those.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 29th March 2024, 01:52 PM
Post #3
Group icon

Thanks for the feedback Pav.

I'll try and think of another way to avoid this. People that use those threads have been strongly against using the spoiler tag for a while too which is the tricky part.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th March 2024, 02:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

I don’t see the problem at all if it has spoiler in massive block capitals next to the title, it couldn’t be any clearer

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 29th March 2024, 05:21 PM
Post #5
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I find "SPOILERS" being at the start of the thread title super helpful because it doesn't get cut-off on the index page either, so I've got no chance of making a mistake - I appreciate you guys formatting the titles that way!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 29th March 2024, 05:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

QUOTE(p a v @ Mar 29 2024, 01:38 AM) *
There’s really been a huge surge in spoiler threads and I already foresee the situation where I mistake one of those for a regular discussion. :’)
Never understood the point in those.

Appreciate that feedback Pav, and I certainly don't want us to be in a place where people are clicking into the AF from the main page and having the show spoiled for them and we haven't taken steps to ensure that doesn't happen. As it stands, it seems like having 'SPOILERS' visible (from both the index and when viewing the AF) is a good middle ground?

The only other thing that crossed my mind was potentially merging all spoiler threads into one to completely minimise the risk of people stumbling into one of many spoiler threads for each individual season? One thing I absolutely don't want to do, however, is minimise discussion on either side. I don't want people being put off coming into the AF by having things spoiled, but I also don't want those that use spoiler threads being made to feel like they can't post x, y or z in a certain fashion. More input from those that have advocated for spoiler threads (Liam, Joe, etc) would be appreciated here to see if the above is something that could be beneficial, or does that feel even more stifling to you?

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th March 2024, 06:04 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

I wouldn’t be totally opposed to that personally, that would make no odds to me and how I use the forum as Im on the spoiler Reddit and catch up with it all, but then you have people who might only want to see spoilers for say an All Stars series or a UK series, but not the main US franchise. That ends up stifling discussion within these threads because it limits it to the limited people who look at all spoilers. Frankly the forum can’t afford to stifle discussion like that when half the time people don’t even discuss episodes, they just rank the contestants each week in that thread laugh.gif If we say have one thread you could still say someone might accidentally click on it… To be fair, if it’s marked clearly with spoilers in block capitals and you still click on it that’s on you. Worst case scenario, first post is nearly always just the cast so you’re not being immediately spoiled on anything major? Idk I guess it’s easy for me to say when I am a spoilerina, but I don’t think it’s fair to stifle discussion when there is a clear middle ground.

I think having them clearly marked is the fairest middle ground. Like… I don’t see the point of, or aren’t interested in, a lot threads on the whole of Buzzjack because they’re not for me, but I just don’t click on them. And I think if it’s fair enough to clearly mark something so people don’t click on something that ruins a show for them because they don’t want spoilers.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 29th March 2024, 11:48 PM
Post #8
Group icon

I prefer not having a merged spoilers thread because there's only certain seasons I care for spoilers for.

I suppose we could trial a 'casting spoilers' thread and a 'placements spoilers' thread.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 29th March 2024, 11:54 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

Does thst not exacerbate the problem by having twice as many spoiler threads? I guess a cast is barely a spoiler, and I know when it’s a UK season people will want to see if local queens or those on their wish list are on, but I still would argue the middle ground of clearly tagging them with block capital is fair enough. Or there could be one cast thread for all casting

+Quote this post
Calum
post 30th March 2024, 12:00 AM
Post #10
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

I think at the moment we've managed to achieve a good solution that satisfies both sides (with some feedback thankful for that, and some feedback pre-empting potential accidents that we can't really control). Those that have an interest in spoiler chat don't have to use spoiler tags (something that through site design is clumsy and awkward to work around on mobile), and those that don't want to see spoilers have a clear warning in topic titles that's visible wherever you are on the forum before actually clicking on a thread.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 30th March 2024, 12:02 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Calum @ Mar 30 2024, 12:00 AM) *
I think at the moment we've managed to achieve a good solution that satisfies both sides (with some feedback thankful for that, and some feedback pre-empting potential accidents that we can't really control). Those that have an interest in spoiler chat don't have to use spoiler tags (something that through site design is clumsy and awkward to work around on mobile), and those that don't want to see spoilers have a clear warning in topic titles that's visible wherever you are on the forum before actually clicking on a thread.

Agreed! I think anything more is more convoluted and cumbersome to the detriment of potential discussion within the threads

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 30th March 2024, 01:49 AM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(Liаm @ Mar 29 2024, 11:54 PM) *
Does thst not exacerbate the problem by having twice as many spoiler threads? I guess a cast is barely a spoiler, and I know when it’s a UK season people will want to see if local queens or those on their wish list are on, but I still would argue the middle ground of clearly tagging them with block capital is fair enough. Or there could be one cast thread for all casting

I meant, as opposed to having 10 threads, one for each franchise, having a total of 2 - not 20. Just as an alternate option that we could consider trialling at some point.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:02 PM