BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Artists you love that never really 'happened', Repetitive theme.....so T Boy of me
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post Oct 19 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
This has probably been done to death but I haven't seen a thread for it for a while. Which artists have you loved that have never really achieved commercial success/their full potential. This isn't a general what flopped thread. Who did you have big expectations for that ultimately came to nothing.

Foster the People got me thinking of this. Their debut album is amazing and the second one is pretty good too. Yet they have only one hit single to their name (nothing else has even charted) despite their tracks getting quite a bit of airplay and support, their debut album struggled to sell and the second one completely flopped. I thought they were going to bit pretty big yet weren't at all really.

Another less good example for me is Orson. Yes, they had a no.1 single and album but really I thought they'd carry on making music for a while and yet disappeared after album 2 flopped.

Who would be on this list for you?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post Oct 19 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Natalia Kills cry.gif Seems like SUCH a star but yet never seems to happen here sad.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 19 2014, 11:16 AM
Post #3
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Cody Simpson. He's got looooaaaaads of Twitter followers, is known worldwide, but hasn't ever made any kind of impact here. Of course, he's only 17 so there's still time, but when he had the right material and the same management as Bieber, you'd think they would send his songs to radio and book some promo. Sigh.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Oct 19 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Oct 19 2014, 12:16 PM) *
Cody Simpson. He's got looooaaaaads of Twitter followers, is known worldwide, but hasn't ever made any kind of impact here. Of course, he's only 17 so there's still time, but when he had the right material and the same management as Bieber, you'd think they would send his songs to radio and book some promo. Sigh.

That's a good one. Two years ago, I was a Year 11 form tutor (which I think means they were your age) and there was a group of girls in the class mad about him. But the only other time I saw him mentioned was in your posts some time later laugh.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 19 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Natalia Kills- Echo Jade's comment and Mirrors sounded like a #1 to me
Little Boots- Apart from remedy which was big, she deserved to be so much bigger
Amelia Lily- California deserved to be massive
Lea Michele- Solo music chart wise
Chloe Howl
The Band Perry- Massive in America but never really happened here sad.gif

Those are the ones of the top of my head

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 19 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Frankmusik for me! I want to write Keri Hilson too, but only because whenever I ask people if they like her, I unforunately get a lot of "who?" Before explaining she was the artist behind 'Knock You Down'. She just hasn't "happened" in the UK I guess. sad.gif

Oh and by the looks of things Tinashe is heading that way too cry.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 19 2014, 11:30 AM
Post #7
Group icon
QUOTE(T Boy @ Oct 19 2014, 12:19 PM) *
That's a good one. Two years ago, I was a Year 11 form tutor (which I think means they were your age) and there was a group of girls in the class mad about him. But the only other time I saw him mentioned was in your posts some time later laugh.gif

Yeah that's correct! It's quite strange, he has 7.09 million Twitter followers yet nothing's ever happened for him really. Maybe it's cause these fans aren't concentrated in one country as such. Either way, the causal music fan won't have any clue who he is, cause nothing's been sent to radio. Frustrating because he COULD be big. sad.gif This song has hit all over it, it even got picked up by a couple of music channels but nothing came of it:

(all his music videos have vanished from YouTube eeek)

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 19 2014, 11:41 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Natalia Kills is the huge one for me too. Maybe not so much with the second era (although I loved it and Saturday Night would have a huge hit for someone like Rihanna or Lana Del Rey), but the first era had some huge pop tracks like Mirror, Love Is A Suicide, Wonderland and Free which all should have been huge.

Also:

Jessica Mauboy (worldwide anyway, she's big ish in Australia but hasn't even been properly launched WW as far as I know sad.gif she is one of my absolute favourites, Kick Up Your Heels especially screams hit but that hasn't been released in Australia!)
Carrie Underwood (similarly, huge in America but only has average success album wise in other countries and that only came with the last album really though I think Play On did ok in Australia. With Taylor swift managing to cross over with Love Story, Carrie could easily do it as her uptempos have a Shania Twain quality to them. Although I'd only want her to be successful if she stayed country, as much as I love pop Taylor I don't want Carrie doing that tongue.gif)
Miranda Lambert (probably the biggest country star in the US along with Carrie but she's more country than pop so I think there's only potential to do well albums wise over here but still)
Samantha Jade (such a ready made popstar, I did say when she won XF Australia she could be their first WW star but they've barely handled her properly in Australia let alone WW!)

+Quote this post
FleetSeb
post Oct 19 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 17,989
Leon Else - Protocol was such a tune and I really thought he'd have some impact but alas not.

Agree with Chloe Howl, really liked her but even when she had some buzz I feel like you could tell it wasn't going to happen.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Oct 19 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #10
Group icon
I think most country artists would fit this thread, they're huge in America but haven't happened here, the UK just doesn't take to country sadly. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Oct 19 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #11
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
I think 'Running Back' by Jessica Mauboy could've been a big hit in 2008, stunning song and I could picture it now being a top 5 hit, it's probably in my top 50 songs ever but I never checked anything else out by her laugh.gif wub.gif Does she have any more stuff as good as that in her discography Liam?

+Quote this post
Regina
post Oct 19 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Mandy Moore - Britney, Xtina, Jessica Simpson etc. all made it pretty big (Jess to a lesser extent) but Mandy never quite made it sob.gif even though she is just as, if not
more, talented. Wild Hope is one of the greatest albums ever.

Ryan Adams - So much talent, never really made it, although, the kinda person that he is, it's probably for the best laugh.gif Still, he has Mandy for a wife, not all bad.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 19 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(jsilv @ Oct 19 2014, 12:47 PM) *
I think 'Running Back' by Jessica Mauboy could've been a big hit in 2008, stunning song and I could picture it now being a top 5 hit, it's probably in my top 50 songs ever but I never checked anything else out by her laugh.gif wub.gif Does she have any more stuff as good as that in her discography Liam?

That's like her 10th best so yes smoke.gif Galaxy (although it's a bit happier) would be about the closest to Running Back maybe? And then there's:

Burn (the single that followed RB, it's still her best <3 A huge, sexy sounding electropop song that easily could have been recorded by Rihanna)
Never Be The Same (huge R&B power ballad)
Pop A Bottle (sounds like a ghetto club anthem but it's a fun, summery dance-pop song)
I Believe (another fun summery dance-pop song)
What Happened To Us (a duet with Jay Sean, it's very much like No Air)
Up/Down (another Rihanna-esque club ready track)
To The End Of The Earth (more subdued and subtle in places than her other dance-pop)
Kick Up Your Heels (Pitbull collab, it's a bit like Doop laugh.gif as I said, it'd be huge in Europe I'm sure)
Saturday Night (great pop/R&B club track with a guest rap from Ludacris)
Forget Your Name (criminally only a bonus track on her second album, it's great mid to up-tempo pop/R&B)
Beautiful (dance-pop banger)
Something's Got A Hold On Me (incredible club banger version of the Etta James song, she did a much better job than Flo Rida of updating it smoke.gif)

My top 5 would probably be:
01 Burn
02 Never Be The Same
03 What Happened To Us?
04 Up/Down
05 Something's Got A Hold On Me

But she's one of those artists where it always changes laugh.gif

+Quote this post
post Oct 19 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Lady Gaga sad.gif

- Seriously though. Natalia Kills is a great example. I feel the same for Angel Haze, who didn't seem to properly take off in the UK (or anywhere?) despite some early buzz.

This post has been edited by Joe.: Oct 19 2014, 12:07 PM

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Oct 19 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #15
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
QUOTE(Liаm @ Oct 19 2014, 12:59 PM) *
That's like her 10th best so yes smoke.gif Galaxy (although it's a bit happier) would be about the closest to Running Back maybe? And then there's:

Burn (the single that followed RB, it's still her best <3 A huge, sexy sounding electropop song that easily could have been recorded by Rihanna)
Pop A Bottle (sounds like a ghetto club anthem but it's a fun, summery dance-pop song)
To The End Of The Earth (more subdued and subtle in places than her other dance-pop)
Kick Up Your Heels (Pitbull collab, it's a bit like Doop laugh.gif as I said, it'd be huge in Europe I'm sure)
Forget Your Name (criminally only a bonus track on her second album, it's great mid to up-tempo pop/R&B)
Something's Got A Hold On Me (incredible club banger version of the Etta James song, she did a much better job than Flo Rida of updating it smoke.gif)
01 Burn
02 Never Be The Same
03 What Happened To Us?
04 Up/Down

Just been listening to a few songs on Spotify now and they're all great. Running Back is still my favourite so far but Burn is fantastic too, that's my favourite of the new ones. Will listen to the ones you listened but loving them all so far drama.gif

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post Oct 19 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275
Natalia Kills is like Kesha but other way around... she should have established herself as a songwriter and then try to break through as solo artist.

+Quote this post
April
post Oct 19 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #17
Group icon
changed the game with that digital drop
User: 11,905
Jade Ewen! She's got such a good voice and the right attitude - she just didn't have the material and then joined the Flopbabes which was the final nail in her coffin.

+Quote this post
JAY17
post Oct 19 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 20,836
The Hurts and FrankMusik.

+Quote this post
Martyn
post Oct 19 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 66
QUOTE(Liаm @ Oct 19 2014, 12:59 PM) *

01 Burn
02 Never Be The Same
03 What Happened To Us?
04 Up/Down

How could you list these yet miss out Inescapable?

QUOTE(jsilv @ Oct 19 2014, 01:07 PM) *
Just been listening to a few songs on Spotify now and they're all great. Running Back is still my favourite so far but Burn is fantastic too, that's my favourite of the new ones. Will listen to the ones you listened but loving them all so far drama.gif

You should check out Inescapable (Youngboyz mix) [it's the single mix basically] it's up there with her best.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Oct 19 2014, 01:10 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(Martyn @ Oct 19 2014, 02:05 PM) *
How could you list these yet miss out Inescapable?

Because it's nowhere near her best tongue.gif it's a 9/10 still though laugh.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:00 PM