BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'The Light Between Oceans' | TBA, Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander & Rachel Weisz
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 25th February 2016, 01:17 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Looks completely heartbreaking.

ADORE the two leads. Fassbender is one of my absolute favourites and Vikander is fast approaching! Excited.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 25th February 2016, 07:50 AM
Post #2
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

This looks like a really interesting story with some good acting too. Not out til September in the US and January here according to IMDb so maybe one to watch at the Oscars? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 25th February 2016, 01:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon

QUOTE(•Josh• @ Feb 25 2016, 07:50 AM) *
This looks like a really interesting story with some good acting too. Not out til September in the US and January here according to IMDb so maybe one to watch at the Oscars? ohmy.gif
I was thinking that it has Oscar-bait written all over it. Had no idea it's not released until the end of the year!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 25th February 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Will be great to see Fassbender and Vikander together. It does look heartbreaking / like something I'll really be rooting for come next Oscar season. The trailer has made me really excited and now I've got to hope it's pushed forward a bit ohmy.gif cry.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 13th May 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

New trailer

Reading the book at the minute, my hype levels are through the roof for this movie

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 8th August 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #6
Group icon

QUOTE(•Josh• @ Feb 25 2016, 08:50 AM) *
So the January date has been pulled forward to 4th November for the UK! biggrin.gif cheer.gif

Really looking forward to this. It'll be interesting to see their chemistry considering that they're a couple now!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 5th November 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #7
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

This was fantastic, not sure what the negative reviews have been about really. Yes, it was slow paced but I found the characters and their intentions especially interesting. The story itself perhaps does play out a bit like soap but it's very emotional and you can't complain about that if it is legitimately making you tear up. When you put yourself in that position, you really wouldn't know what to do after raising a child that's not yours for so many years and therefore the way each character reacted to that made for good viewing imo and I was never bored. I think that's why I enjoyed it so much because when you think about the situation, it is incredibly difficult, you couldn't imagine what you'd do if it had happened to you. The acting was fantastic and I'm a bit gutted that the bad reviews have squashed almost all chance they had for acting nominations. Alicia Vikander acted the hell out of the role and it was definitely on par with The Danish Girl, irritating that she won for that and likely won't even be nominated for this. Rachel Weisz also had an emotional role that she played very well, I'd love to see her get a second Oscar nomination and maybe supporting actress is a bit less fiercely competitive this year. I also enjoyed Michael Fassbender's quiet PTSD sort of take on his role. Great film, definitely recommend it although perhaps not the most rapidly moving film ever.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 5th November 2016, 12:14 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Best live-action film of the year, probably only Zootopia ahead of it all together. Will review properly later but also not understanding the bad reviews at all!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 7th November 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #9
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Time to review this properly!

The more I think about this, the more this is really slotting into my 2nd favourite film of the year ahead of Finding Dory/The Secret Life Of Pets. I really don't understand what all the bad reviews are about, yeah it is a very slow film but that is about it (and personally I found it really effective as well!). The script is so powerful and really beautiful and the cinematography/score are both gorgeous and major plus points about the film. And the acting was incredible. It was great to see Rachel Weisz in this and she was fabulous and heartbreaking and I really hope she can sneak into the supporting actress line-up somehow! That's also the best I've seen Michael Fassbender in a role and he is fantastic in this and once again Alicia Vikander steals the show from everyone. I really wish she was getting Best Actress buzz for this sad.gif She is heartbreakingly excellent in this and I'd go as far as saying its her best performance yet (just beating Testament Of Youth/Ex_Machina/The Danish Girl) and she is really becoming my favourite actress at the moment! I highly recommend this and would definitely check it out if possible! (We had to go to a further away cinema to see it as our local had crap times but it was worth it!)

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 8th November 2016, 11:46 PM
Post #10
Group icon
my anxiety attacks

I don't know how much I agree with the slow comments, maybe in parts, especially near the beginning, but it didn't feel like 2 hours 10 minutes to me and some shorter movies have definitely dragged more. I'd actually say some of it felt rushed to me, with a couple of things cut from the book. laugh.gif I thought there should've been a bit more of Lucy being distressed, Hannah offered her up to Isabel rather quickly imo.

It's already a bit on the long side but I wish two things hadn't been cut. The movie gave no indication that Tom and Hannah had met previously and that he'd saved her from some hassle on a boat once, this would've given them a stronger connection and added to his guilt. It also didn't show Gwen going behind Hannah's back to take Lucy to spend time with Isabel, which would add to the child's confusion.

Some of the reviews are definitely too harsh, I can see why it wouldn't be in Best Picture discussions as it does seem a bit melodramatic for the Oscars, but the women deserve recognition for the acting.

It's always the case with adaptions, I still loved it but for what was pretty much my most hyped movie of the year (with the months it's spent in my Buzz Hype chart!) and how much I enjoyed the book, I wanted to love it that little bit more and it would've been perfect if it was even more loyal to the book. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 9th November 2016, 12:02 AM
Post #11
Group icon

I didn't love this, but didn't dislike or hate it either. I feel quite neutral towards it tbh. The story would've been a lot better had those parts that Jahq spoilered out been included as I do think a lot of the emotional moments were over far too quickly. It didn't give you enough time to get emotionally involved and attached in a few scenes (if that makes sense).

The performances were excellent though, Vikander in particular. Award worthy from all the key players. The little girl is SO adorable!

About a 6/10 for me. It was ok. I dread to think how it would've been had it been actors and actresses I weren't fussed on! laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:25 PM