BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Victoria Beckham - 'Victoria Beckham' (VB), 2001 • 1st Album / 21st Anniversary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post Jul 1 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

'Victoria Beckham'
1st October 2001

1. Not Such an Innocent Girl
2. A Mind of Its Own
3. That Kind of Girl
4. Like That
5. Girlfriend
6. Midnight Fantasy
7. I.O.U.
8. No Trix No Games
9. I Wish
10. Watcha Talkin' Bout
11. Unconditional Love
12. Every Part of Me

---------------

A thread dedicated to discussion about Victoria Beckhams first (and only officially released) album 'Victoria Beckham'!

This release followed the #6 charting Not Such an Innocent Girl, a departure in sound from the garage style she did so well with in Out of Your Mind. Touted as a huge battle between Kylie's Can't Get You Out of My Head and Victoria... the reality was a stark difference, with Victoria not troubling Kylie for #1 at all. One more single followed - A Mind of Its Own (also #6). A third release of I Wish was planned, but nothing came of it and Victoria was subsequently dropped from her record label. The album sold 53,938 copies, frustratingly close to a silver certification - sadly I don't see it ever achieving that.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this album? Which tracks do you like, love, hate? What's your favourite? Were the singles the correct choices? Rate the tracks in order of favourite to least favourite.

---------------

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 1 2020, 11:17 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
Most underrated Solo Spice record EVER!

When it comes to debuts, I think VB is second only to Northern Star from the girls. It's a class album, with a lot of really good songs! Overall it is a well produced album, with tracks such as Like That, Girlfriend, Not That Kind of Girl, No Trix, No Games being the best ones for me.

A shame about the awful singles. She literally chose the worse two tracks as singles. I will never understand that.

I THINK WE SHOULD DO A VB RATE cheer.gif

+Quote this post
isanka
post Jul 1 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,486
Some good songs, but i don't like her voice. And it's too much RnB oriented.
Tracks 6,8 and 9 are my favorite.
Her second single is really bad.
Back in the days i Bought the French Version from someone who work in music industry in France and i shared the files to everyone. I gave the CD to one of the biggest Spice Girls CD collectioner).

This post has been edited by isanka: Jul 1 2020, 12:01 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jul 1 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
I have never listened to this all the way through.

+Quote this post
tommie
post Jul 1 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
The video budget for A Mind Of Its Own is hilariously abysmal - I mean, I don't blame the record company for not spending money, but it's just about a step above Mel B's Today video laugh.gif

This post has been edited by tommie: Jul 1 2020, 12:15 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jul 1 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
First listen
All the songs are very similar.

No stand out tracks tbh.

Midnight Fantasy is kind of catchy.
I Wish certainly should have led the album.

It’s quite tacky rnb that she really can’t pull off. Probably left over tracks from bigger artists ? She dissent sound convincing at all throughout the album. The songs needed more attitude.

The rumours that this album cost 5 million to make I don’t believe. What record company would do that ?

Why was Out Of Your Mind left of the album ?

This post has been edited by vibe: Jul 1 2020, 12:30 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 1 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #7
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Firstly: Like That and I Wish are amongst the very best solo Spice album tracks! They would have been great singles! music.gif I think I.O.U. is really underrated as well, it's an incredibly good ballad.

I don't think there's a single bad track on there, but a few of them are just "okay". Overall it's a competent album, and the right musical direction for her in 2001. I don't think there's really any other genre she could have done a better job of at that time than pop with a slight R&B influence. It's completely an album of its time, but that's okay. I think it does a good job of showcasing Victoria's abilities, whereas I don't think the same could be said of Mel B's debut album Hot, most of the tracks were the wrong fit for Mel and didn't demonstrate what she was actually capable of.

I can see the logic with both singles that were chosen from VB. Not Such an Innocent Girl is probably the most attention grabbing/instant track... yet it's not the best song that the album has to offer. I think A Mind of Its Own is a lovely song, one which I feel is a bit unfairly disregarded by some of the fan base... it's really pretty. I think it was worthy of being a single, but probably not as early as being the second single. I suppose the intention was to portray Victoria as down-to-earth/natural/relatable after the high budget/glossy affair of Not Such an Innocent Girl wasn't terribly well received, but that was at odds with the impression the album artwork gives you.

Regarding that artwork - it's eye catching for sure, but I'm not sure what the panther imagery (including in the logo) really says about this album.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jul 1 2020, 01:07 PM
Post #8
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
It's a decent album for sure, the quality is consistent throughout but on a first listen nothing much stood out. It's very listenable but mostly unremarkable! I'll have to give it a second play at some point to pick out some favourites.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post Jul 1 2020, 01:11 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
I need to re-listen to this before writing up because I haven't listened to it since it was originally released. I remember being bored listening to the album, I thought a few tracks were OK but nothing really excited me. Will see if my opinion has changed when I re-listen.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 1 2020, 02:18 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
We should totally do a listening party!!

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Jul 1 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
My least favourite solo spice girls album along with Stages and This Time.

It is 3 decent tracks and the rest filler.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Jul 1 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Its not a great album by any stretch of the imagination but its not horrific either and i think it gets a harder time than it deserves.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post Jul 1 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574
I wasnt keen on it at the time but it grew on me over the years.

Not Such An Innocent Girl was a terrible representation of this album, Midnight Fantasy should've been the lead single.

The middle part of the album is really stellar one great upbeat song after another.
P
The album really ends on a damp squib though as those final ballads just didn't do anything for me at all.

I quite like the artwork it was interesting/out of the box.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Jul 1 2020, 08:20 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
A BOP!

ANOTHER BOP!

EVEN MORE BOPPAGE!!

CAN YOU HANDLE ANOTHER BOP!!?!?!

ONE LAST ONE FOR THE ROAD cheer.gif

I'm boping!! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 1 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #15
Group icon
cheer.gif cheer.gif

I think I'll have a listen of it tomorrow, it's been a lonnnnng time tbh

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post Jul 1 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815
Ironically I've been streaming all of their solo albums recently and I listened to the VB album in full which I haven't done in many years.

As a 10 year old at the time I thought this was a great album, and of course it was a solo Spice album so I was very supportive.

However listening back I don't think it's a very strong album. I would say half of the album is good, those songs being -

Not Such An Innocent Girl
Like That
Girlfriend
Midnight Fantasy
I.O.U

I think the second half of the album was weaker.

I much preferred the direction Victoria went in with songs like Out of Your Mind and the Double A Side This Groove/Let Your Head Go

In 2001 my favourite VB song was Midnight Fantasy. I always loved that song. So memories from that poptastic era

This post has been edited by Spice Girls Net: Jul 1 2020, 09:05 PM

+Quote this post
Piers
post Jul 4 2020, 07:58 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
I've never understood the disdain for it, really. It's a perfectly solid pop album in the context of 2001. In fact, I think VB is more consistent than several hit pop albums that year (that I won't name to avoid controversy in here...). It's just...VB had the misfortune of being the fifth Spice-related album released in a year. The quality of the album was nearly irrelevant with that level of over saturation.

For me, the album's totally solid from tracks 1-10. Unconditional Love is meandering...and I flat out don't like Every Part of Me. So. A bit unfortunate the album goes out on a whimper, but I won't take away what comes before those two.

Not Such An Innocent Girl is much like Geri's Calling to me...in that they're both songs I remember the fanbase really liking...until they both charted below expectations. Nearly 20 years later, I still think both are good tracks...that just got cursed by the barrage of Spice releases that year.

Both NSAIG and A Mind of its Own were worthy singles...though I think I Wish and IOU are actually the best songs on the album. I Wish, in particular, I think deserved to get a release. I think it's probably the single best thing she did solo. I also really like Like That.

Few more quick thoughts. Girlfriend probably deserved a singer with punchier vocals ("oh no, now you didn't say...that I need to back away" needs someone with more attitude). But I like the song otherwise.

I've always thought it was a little funny that she sings about not caring about the car her man drives in That Kind of Girl...only for her to sing about the car her man drives in I Wish.

While I'm a defender of this album, I think she was on a better path as an artist with the pop material for her second album. There was less of the "I'm just a normal girl! Honest!" stuff. She seemed to instead just be embracing the posh Spice ice queen persona...and I think she was better for it.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Oct 1 2020, 04:08 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Released 19 years ago - 1st October 2001!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post Oct 1 2020, 08:25 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Not That Kind of Girl and Like That still slap! A+ songs wub.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post Oct 1 2020, 10:42 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988
Victoria was always going to be a difficult sell as a solo artist. I think the best option would have been dance pop more in the lines of Let your head go than the slick R&B Lane they went down.

Funnily enough I think Kylie's modern (for the time) dance pop was the perfect blue print for Victoria.

This post has been edited by sammy01: Oct 1 2020, 10:43 AM

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:07 AM