BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Singles Chart in general, Discussion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mart!n
post 10th January 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2
I just thought of something, as I've noticed people are leaning towards the singles chart is reflecting towards grime and urban music genres, I don't think it is as there are other music genres in it, but in comes in bits and droves with other music genres. Grime and urban is not my thing, but I can take some of it. It represents Dance music pretty well as a music genre and a lot of singer/ songwriters. My casing point is how to get other music genres, to give the chart more diversity, what needs to be done, so everything is even balanced. I would like to see more Indie acts in the chart, its basically my area of music listening.

Carry on....
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
danG
post 10th January 2020, 12:54 PM
Post #2
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
what they should really do is have genre charts that are full of new songs, instead of the current format where legacy songs fill about half of the dance and indie chart and the entirety of the rock chart.

+Quote this post
Gambo
post 20th January 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,106
Somehow try to get fans of those indie, rock and other under-represented genres to embrace streaming en-masse! Sadly, while these musical styles fared the transition in singles terms from CD to download reasonably well in the 2000s, it seems that they have not followed suit in the 2010s shift from download purchasing to online streaming, whereas fans of certain other genres such as rap and dance apparently have. It's hard to explain why this has become the case, because it seems that the sales once guaranteed for some artists in the indie/rock sector have fallen away too, and not been replaced by streaming. It begs the question whether fans of these acts now tend to assume there isn't anything much being released now of interest, and so don't actually consume a lot of new music at all. They also won't be buying much catalogue content either, as presumably they'll already own it, either on download or CD, of at the collectors' end of the market, possibly vinyl. It's wrong to say there isn't anything decent of that ilk being made any more, but its profile is so low now compared to other genres, both at radio and TV, that it likely doesn't get heard by potential consumers, unless they're seeking it out proactively online, but if they are successfully doing that, there's little impact of it in respect of buying or streaming. And what there is is so hugely overpowered by that accrued by grime etc that it just can't get a foothold anymore in the obvious places - the combined singles chart, radio/TV airplay schedules etc.

It's almost impossible to successfully push a sector of the market away from one format and into another if they're not ready to make the transition organically. But something could and should be done about the 'passive streaming' problem, whereby large sites programme pre-conceived playlists which favour black music styles massively, and don't change much over many months, which then get passively-streamed by lazy listeners and so get to stranglehold the singles charts. The OCC's move to distinguish between 'paid-for (subscription)' and 'free (ad-funded)' streams helped a little, but the default listening of pre-made playlists is definitely one of the policies that needs to be changed, and as an industry it would be possible, if there was seen to be enough in it for them, and the damage to the chart brand itself caused by this trend were fully-realised. But as it stands there seems to be little evidence of any appetite to quell the problem, with Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon all allowed to do things exactly the way they choose, having effectively created a three-way dominance of the streaming sector between them. Sadly, I fear more elaborate alterations to the chart will be made rather than any attempt to change the way in which streaming is presented and measured.

+Quote this post
myxxd
post 20th January 2020, 06:06 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 7,097
Genre charts yes

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 22nd January 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138
The Guardian article by Eamon Forde from the 17/1/20 sums it up quite well as an algorithm wrapped in a T-shirt, inside an enigma.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jan/...ling-the-charts

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 11:04 AM