BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Favourite top 20 hit (that missed the top 10) [2014], the results! (see full list on page 5)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post Jan 10 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
You may remember last year I did a short rate to find out what song SHOULD HAVE been a UK Top 10 SMASH. Past winners have been Adele with her platinum seller "Set Fire To The Rain", Azealia Banks with her debut "212" and Arctic Monkeys with their comeback hit "Do I Wanna Know?"

Links
2013 results thread -> http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162055
2012 results thread -> http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=149513
2011 results thread -> http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...l=favorite+miss

Here are the songs that you have been voting for:

• 5 Seconds Of Summer - Good Girls
  • Afrojack feat. Wrabel - Ten Feet Tall
  • American Authors - Best Day Of My Life
  • Ariana Grande feat. Zedd - Break Free
  • Avicii - Addicted To You
  • Bakermat - One Day (Vandaag)
  • Brian Wilson & Various Artists - God Only Knows
  • Bring Me The Horizon - Drown
  • Busta Rhymes feat. Q-Tip, Lil' Wayne & Kanye West - Thank You
  • Christina Perri - Human
  • Conchita Wurst - Rise Like A Phoenix
  • Dapper Laughs - Proper Moist
  • Demi Lovato - Neon Lights
  • Ed Sheeran - One
  • Ella Eyre - If I Go
  • Ella Eyre - Comeback
  • Ella Henderson - Yours
  • Ellie Goulding - Goodness Gracious
  • Elyar Fox - A Billion Girls
  • Example - Kids Again
  • Foxes - Holding Onto Heaven
  • G.R.L - Ugly Heart
  • Gorgon City feat. Jennifer Hudson - Go All Night
  • Gorgon City feat. Zak Abel - Unmissable
  • Hardwell feat. Matthew Koma - Dare You
  • Hozier - Take Me To Church
  • Idina Menzel - Let It Go
  • Imagine Dragons - Demons
  • Indiana - Solo Dancing
  • James Bay - Hold Back The River
  • James Newton Howard - The Hanging Tree
  • Kendrick Lamar - i
  • Kylie Minogue - Into the Blue
  • Labrinth - Let It Be
  • Le Youth feat. Dominique Young Unique - Dance With Me
  • Lethal Bizzle feat. Cherri Voncelle - The Drop
  • Lethal Bizzle feat. JME & Tempa T - RariWorkOut
  • LuvBug feat. Talay Riley - Resonance
  • McBusted - Air Guitar
  • Meridian Dan feat. Big H & JME - German Whip
  • MK feat. Alana - Always (Route 94 Remix)
  • Neon Brotherhood - Hope Ain't A Bad Thing
  • Neon Jungle - Louder
  • Oliver $ & Jimi Jules - Pushing On
  • Paolo Nutini - Scream (Funk My Life Up)
  • Power Music Workout - All About That Bass (Workout Mix)
  • Rixton - Wait On Me
  • Rizzle Kicks - Tell Her
  • Shakira feat. Rihanna - Can't Remember To Forget You
  • Tegan & Sara feat. The Lonely Island - Everything Is Awesome
  • The Chainsmokers - #selfie
  • The Saturdays - Not Giving Up
  • Tinie Tempah feat. Labrinth - Lover Not A Fighter
  • Trey Songz - Na Na
  • Twin Atlantic - Heart And Soul
  • Usher feat. Nicki Minaj - She Came To Give It To You
  • Watermat - Bullit
  • Wilkinson feat. Talay Riley - Dirty Love
  • X Ambassadors & Jamie N Commons feat. Jay-Z - Jungle

Who will win? Find out this weekend!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jan 10 2015, 12:45 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
G.R.L surely? Hope to see Le Youth as high as possible though!

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post Jan 10 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #3
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319
It would be ironic if Let It Go won, since it was the highest placed of the 11-20 peakers in the hate chart. Also, I hope Take Me To Church doesn't win, not because I don't like it, but because it is now a top 10 smash.

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post Jan 10 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Kylie or Foxes would get my vote. Both great songs which deserved to be top 10.

+Quote this post
danG
post Jan 10 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
59. Rizzle Kicks - Tell Her (0)
14-37-69-x (3 weeks)

58. Dapper Laughs - Proper Moist (3)
15-x (1 week)

57. Example - Kids Again (5)
13-44-73-x (3 weeks)

=55. Neon Brotherhood - Hope Ain't A Bad Thing (7)
16-x (1 week)

=55. Brian Wilson & Various Artists - God Only Knows (7)
20-38-60-x-39-69-x (5 weeks)

Rizzle Kicks finish right at the bottom with ZERO votes, positive or negative, which is the ultimate sign of indifference. Sums up my feelings for the song perfectly actually. I was very disappointed with this comeback, there's nothing to the song at all really, so it's no surprise it didn't do too well. Maybe I shouldn't have expected anything good though considering the quality of their 2nd era dropped a lot from 1st era singles Down With The Trumpets and Mama Do The Hump which I could get behind.

With a negative score of -10, Dapper Laughs is quite lucky to not finish last, one person did give him 13 points though saving him from finishing on a negative score. The song tries to be funny, but ultimately fails and really isn't that great. It's unlikely he'll ever return to the chart considering the backlash his persona and (now cancelled) TV show has got him. And to add to that, the song didn't even get played on the official chart show, aside from a few seconds, for being too rude. Oops.

Example's days of being super relevant are far behind him, although he did manage a top 5 hit with 'Stay With Me One More Day' this single didn't do particularly great, to be expected from him these days. And even being a huge fan of dance music myself I wasn't sold on this.

Unsurprisingly we have charity singles doing badly here, with two tying on points and on position too. The cheaply produced 'Hope Ain't A Bad Thing' was released after the death of cancer victim Stephen Sutton (RIP) and with money going to some cancer charity and it having a bit of publicity, it sold enough to go top 5 on iTunes and officially top 20. However the song's not very good though hence its low placing here.

God Only Knows was released as an unofficial Children In Need single, not selling as much as the Gareth Malone effort nor peaking as high, but having the moral victory of having more chart weeks. It didn't turn out to be the huge hit some were expecting though, I was never a fan of it anyway.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 10 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I quite like 'Kids Again', it's nothing amazing though. The rest in this selection are pretty dire.

Kylie FTW! Also hope MK does well.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jan 10 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Kids Again should be higher. Heard it recently for first time in ages (seems much longer since it came out) & sounded quite great actually! Also laugh.gif at Rizzle Kicks finishing below Dapper Laughs, fully deserved.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Jan 10 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
Great to see wub.gif for Kids Again cheer.gif

Tell Her is a bit of a dissapointment I agree mellow.gif

Bring back Stereotypical! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 10 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I genuinely don't remember Rizzle Kicks having anything out this year? laugh.gif I may have missed the chart show that time, but still, I'd at least heard of everything else on this list.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jan 10 2015, 03:55 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post Jan 10 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
54. Power Music Workout - All About That Bass (Workout Mix) (8)
52-13-x (2 weeks)

53. Trey Songz - Na Na (10)
20-29-37-55-55-x (5 weeks)

52. LuvBug feat. Talay Riley - Resonance (10)
13-48-x (2 weeks)

51. Afrojack feat. Wrabel - Ten Feet Tall (17)
20-48-x (2 weeks)

The ICONIC workout mix of 'All About That Bass' was a minor top 20 hit, slaying all bases left right and center and raining down on all your faves. It was even more popular than Meghan Trainor's cover version, until it was released on iTunes and was an instant #1 leaving this version to die. It was so good to see Power Music Workout getting the recognition they deserve, but sadly it's been forgotten along with other original songs overshadowed by their covers, DJ Stay The Night's near-self-titled hit 'Stay The Night' and The Mega Giants 'Prayer In C' to name 2 from this year.

Trey Songz released a song about his nan this year, originally not doing that well, like most of his songs, but a re-release saw this into the top 20. It's not brilliant but at least it got DJ Mustard another hit single as a producer. The more academic members of the forum will also notice this song could've been titled Sodium Sodium.

Marvin Humes left one group (JLS) and moved on to another this year, except he's now turned to dance production and is no longer singing, proving everyone wrong by scoring a post-JLS chart hit before Aston (who still hasn't started a solo career, lol). The song is quite good actually, though not one of my favourite dance smashes of the year. The song also brought Talay Riley back in the charts, giving him his first top 40 hit in nearly 5 years. The gap between his 2nd and 3rd smashes however was just one week, as Dirty Love also made the top 20 and is still to come in the countdown.

Afrojack got a string of low peaking hits in 2013-14, and this was the last of them, going top 20 somehow but falling quickly. It's super generic and really not the Afrojack that I love, his quality has gone down quite a bit, although he's still able to make a great song; see Steve Aoki collab 'Afroki'. Anyway this outpeaking Take Over Control and No Beef is criminal, I still don't understand how the former wasn't a massive top 10 drama.gif

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jan 10 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Decent batch there but all rather forgettable hence the low positions I imagine. Agreed on Afrojack since Take Over Control his single output has seemingly worsened with each release. The Spark was a an exception though.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: Jan 10 2015, 04:40 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post Jan 10 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #12
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
50. Rixton - Wait On Me (19)
12-34-54-x (3 weeks)

49. X Ambassadors & Jamie N Commons feat. Jay-Z - Jungle (19)
18-43-59-x (3 weeks)

48. Ed Sheeran - One (20)
20-18-35-44-47-20-35-38-44-56-70-75-74-x (13 weeks)

47. Lethal Bizzle feat. Cherri Voncelle - The Drop (20)
20-72-x (2 weeks)

46. Elyar Fox - A Billion Girls (22)
11-47-x (2 weeks)

Rixton went to #1 with debut single Me And My Broken Heart, which ended up not doing too brilliantly for a #1. It's only appropriate then, that their follow-up completely misses the top 10 and drops fast. It's not a particularly exciting song and it sounds a lot like their last one. It doesn't help that they're marketed as a boyband when they're more of a Maroon 5/OneRepublic type anyway.

X Ambassadors & Jamie N Commons aren't exactly names you'd expect to chart, but Jungle was used on adverts and it got lots of R1 airplay. Of course, the Jay-Z guest rap would've helped it too even though with all the world cup references it sounded dated by the time it got released. Alright song but nothing too special.

The first song to be released from X was not actually Sing, but this which was helped by instant grat sales and also streaming towards the end of its run. Hopefully it's not released as an actual single because it's just a standard Ed love ballad. It's better than the ever overrated Thinking Out Loud I guess but most of his songs are.

Undeniably one of the biggest grime stars, Lethal Bizzle has 2 entries in this, and the lowest is unsurprisingly The Drop, which was appropriately titled considering its drop from #20. RariWorkout is a vast improvement on this anyway, it'll appear later in the chart.

The absolutely awful A Billion Girls had a few fans, but mostly hate, with it scoring 6 sets of -2s. Deservedly, because it's terrible. Elyar seems to have disappeared now so we can at least be thankful for this song killing off his ""career"".

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Jan 10 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The Drop a candidate for most forgotten top 20 last year? I quite like it, though you're right RariWorkOut is leagues better!

+Quote this post
danG
post Jan 10 2015, 05:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
45. Wilkinson feat. Talay Riley - Dirty Love (23)
20-41-61-x (3 weeks)

44. Usher feat. Nicki Minaj - She Came To Give It To You (36)
16-42-73-x (3 weeks)

43. Hardwell feat. Matthew Koma - Dare You (38)
18-30-53-x (3 weeks)

42. Labrinth - Let It Be (46)
11-30-39-43-69-x (5 weeks)

41. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Good Girls (49)
19-44-59-52-56-57-46-x-25-x (8 weeks)

Wilkinson couldn't quite match the success of Afterglow last year, but he did get a second top 20 hit with Dirty Love, which gave Talay Riley a 3rd top 20 hit one week after his 2nd. He didn't continue the pattern though and has no 4th hit currently. It's always nice to have drum n' bass doing well but I wasn't very much into this. Sigma do the job better.

Usher got another top 20 hit with the forgettable She Came To Give It To You (I hope it's not chlamydia ). I barely remember how this goes like, it's definitely not up with his best anyway.

The world's most popular DJ finally got a chart hit last year with the brilliant Dare You. Though he's clearly not the most popular in the chart as it had a short chart run. The song really deserved better, it may sound generic but it's really good sad.gif I'm sure Hardwell will get a top 10 one day though, let's not forget Tiesto and Armin got their first top 10s very late into their career.

Labrinth came back with something not very exciting and just missed the top 10 with it, once again showing Earthquake was just a fluke as the rest of his solo career hasn't been half as good. It's annoying when artists are like this, though I do quite like follow-up Jealous, moreso than Let It Be anyway despite it being a piano ballad.

5 Seconds Of Summer were benefitted by instant grat sales and got a top 20 with Good Girls before the release of 2nd single Don't Stop. It clearly wasn't that popular outside the fanbase though as it couldn't even re-enter the top 20 on its impact date when it got properly pushed as a single. To the surprise of no one I think the song's awful so I'm glad it didn't do too well.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 10 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #15
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Idina for the win jopefuly cheer.gif

Glad Rixton are out, wait on me is awful :pike2:

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Jan 10 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
No huge losses so far, although 'A Billion Girls' is too high and got my -2. There is not one single good thing about that track at all.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Jan 10 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #17
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
QUOTE(► ▲ N @ Jan 10 2015, 05:30 PM) *
To the surprise of no one I think the song's awful so I'm glad it didn't do too well.

No, that's definitely shocked me...

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jan 10 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #18
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
A Billion Girls is way too low and really isn't THAT bad guys sad.gif

Good Girls is also ridiculously low.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Jan 10 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
Ten Feet Tall is the All Of Me that should've been tbh teresa.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Resonance deserved a better run. Great production and vocals but as usual people be too busy buying their millionth copies of Ed Sheeran tracks laugh.gif

PMW was a good remix-ish version of Bass and quite catchy biggrin.gif

ABG is "ok" but I don't like the whole Justin Bieber attitude towards it drama.gif JUSTICE FOR DIAOA!!

I like The Drop a lot more than Rari, well, because of The Drop laugh.gif

Wait On Me was always going to do just that in the chart rolleyes.gif the song is good though but MAMBH was much better smile.gif

Let It Be is good, but he's proven he can do much better with Eletronic Earth. I hope he DOES do better this year teresa.gif

Dare You is great. It's 'generic', but it's great biggrin.gif

Dirty Love is also a good track from Wilkinson but let's hope the old W returns with the after-Afterglow cheer.gif

+Quote this post
ML Hammer95
post Jan 11 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,265
Think I gave Na Na almost half its points laugh.gif

Some songs I voted for have come up already; The Drop, Dirty Love, She Came to Give It To You & Let It Be. All good, but not exactly top 10 material.

Surprised Resonance didn't do better.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:07 AM