BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cats | Musical Adaptation, Late 2019 | Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Jul 20 2018, 02:36 PM
Post #1
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/jennifer...375-1202879375/

A movie version of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical Cats has been in the works for a while and after speculation over the last day or so, Taylor, Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella, Ian McKellan & James Cordon have all supposedly been cast! This is directed by Tom Hooper (Les Miserables, The King's Speech) and set to come out late 2019 (filming late this year)!

I'm SO excited for this <3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jul 20 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #2
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Taylor barely has one vocal chord, and cannot act her way through a 3 minute music video.....J-Hud could fart and it'd have better vocal control and can act.

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jul 18 2019, 10:08 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

The trailer is out for this and it’s absolutely horrifying.

I don’t understand why on earth anyone funded this. From what I’ve heard Cats is a pretty hated musical and trying to make the actors to look like cats is such a horrible idea. I’m expecting somewhere between 0-15% on Rotten Tomatoes and a lot of Razzies nominations.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 18 2019, 10:28 PM
Post #4
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Oh my gosh, that looks creepy, like REALLY creepy. I mean I can understand that bipedal look for a stage musical, but this is film, what's the problem with making them look like, y'know, REAL CATS or just straight out animated cats?! I mean anything's better than that horror.

This still looks awful even without that though, Taylor Swift, James Corden and Jason sodding Derulo acting is enough to prove that. A shame as they seem to have also gotten some really good names as well.

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Jul 19 2019, 06:04 AM
Post #5
my anxiety attacks
Member No.: 8,674

I couldn’t believe when Jason Derulo’s name came up

I also can’t believe this is from the same director as Oscar nominated movies like Les Mis and The Kings Speech.

But you can bet I’m excited to see it as soon as it’s released, just to see how awful it is in full..

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post Jul 19 2019, 08:34 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

This trailer just has to be a parody/skit or something? No way anyone actually thinks this looks even remotely good. The backlash this trailer has received is probably absolutely mortifying for anyone connected to this project lmao. Creepy is an understatement.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jul 19 2019, 03:50 PM
Post #7
❤️❤️➕🟦
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

omg i think the Jason Derulo one is the weirdest, it feels like his facial features are coming off the ‘cat’

This could have easily been fine with prosthetics. I wonder if they were worried they couldn’t find the right level of star power to sit through the hours of prosethetics it would have taken though.

+Quote Post
.MIKE.
post Jul 20 2019, 07:08 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 2,808

Delete

+Quote Post
Juranamo
post Jul 20 2019, 07:52 AM
Post #9
"Everything seems different the second time around."
Member No.: 5,830
   No Gallery Pics

So I’m the only one in the world who thought this trailer looked good?

Never seen Cats, but I’ll definitely be seeing this.

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Dec 19 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

This is getting absolutely dragged online, the reviews are hilarious! laugh.gif Some calling it 'overly horny' and an 'absolute nightmare'. Think this might bomb at the Box Office too!

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Dec 19 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #11
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Is anyone surprised lmao

The reviews will be 10x more entertaining than the movie I guarantee it, all that’s left to see is which godawful movie (this or Star Wars) hasnt slaughtered its legacy

+Quote Post
J❄️hq
post Dec 19 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #12
my anxiety attacks
Member No.: 8,674

Oh I think this will be huge and the reviews won't matter. It'll be good counter-programming to Star Wars and I think a lot of people will be interested in seeing it just to see for themselves how bad it is

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Dec 19 2019, 12:23 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend

Initially I think it'll do well but just look at how 'Last Christmas' has fell off due to bad reviews, I think it'll probably do similar to that.

+Quote Post
Mikal
post Dec 19 2019, 12:28 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,092

Enjoy:

Boston Globe
My eyes are burning. Oh God, my eyes.

Collider
Can you make a movie so bad that the Academy takes back your Best Director Oscar? Asking for Tom Hooper.

The Beat
Cats is the worst thing to happen to cats since dogs.

Hollywood Reporter
Cat-astrophic.

LA Times
"Cats” is both a horror and an endurance test.

Slashfilm
There is a thin line between idiocy and genius, and Cats pukes a hairball on it and rubs its ass all over it.

Variety
Nine may not be enough lives for some of the stars to live down their involvement in this poorly conceived and executed adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit musical.

Little White Lies
I felt the light inside me slowly fading.

The Playlist
Once Tom Hooper's 110 minutes of Cats are over, theater is dead. And we unchosen ones are left, tragically, to continue living.

New York Times
It's amazing to see what Adult Swim can accomplish with a $100 million budget. I never knew Tom Hooper was capable of making a surrealist nightmare that would rival Jodorowsky, that could baffle David Lynch, that would prompt even the dark god Cthulhu to emit an impressed eldritch shriek of “nehehehehehe”

Vulture
To assess Cats as good or bad feels like the entirely wrong axis on which to see it. It is, with all affection, a monstrosity.

The Daily Telegraph
Glad to report that Cats is everything you’d hoped for and more: a mesmerisingly ugly fiasco that makes you feel like your brain is being eaten by a parasite. A viewing experience so stressful that it honestly brought on a migraine.

Den of Geek
One of the weirdest and most garish monstrosities to be birthed out of the Hollywood studio system in this century.

Vanity Fair
It’s an ugly stray who smells bad and should not be invited into your home, certainly. And yet it is its own kind of living creature, worthy of at least some basic compassion.

The Guardian
A purr-fectly dreadful hairball of woe. 1/5.

Indiewire
Tom Hooper’s feline musical is an absurd and exuberant mess. This visually dense adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber hit is at once too crazy for this world, and not quite crazy enough.

Newsday
Fans of the stage musical may swoon, but others will be severely allergic.

The Wrap
Andrew Lloyd Webber’s feline fantasy musical becomes a garish hairball. It’s hard to “ruin” Webber’s already strange musical, but Tom Hooper’s wrongheaded attempt certainly tries. Tom Hooper’s jarring fever dream of a spectacle is like something that escaped from Dr. Moreau’s creature laboratory instead of a poet’s and a composer’s feline (uni)verse, an un-catty valley hybrid of physical and digital that unsettles and crashes way more often than it enchants.

Bleeding Cool
Cats is a strange beast to begin with, but the combination of strange CGI makes the translation from stage to screen even worse.

Slant
This adaptation gets straight to the heart of the material, which is basically two hours of stray cats introducing themselves.

Rendy Reviews
On a scale of one to Zemeckis, Hooper's Cats boldly goes beyond the uncanny valley and creates a tier of its own.

Screen Junkies
A spectacular disaster...This movie feels like a prank but I don't know on whom.

The Jam Report
The most inexplicably bizarre film of the year, it's jawdropping for all the wrong reasons.

RTE Ireland
First off, full disclosure - I am not a cat person. Second off - after watching this frankly mortifying film adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats, I'm not altogether sure I am a movie person anymore either.

+Quote Post
diva las vegans
post Dec 19 2019, 05:04 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

18% on Rotten Tomatoes laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Dec 19 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #16
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

I actually want to see this still!

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Dec 20 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Dec 19 2019, 10:10 PM) *
I actually want to see this still!

I'm not surprised you do.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 20 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #18
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

Ngl I kind of do but I know 10 minutes in I'd regret it and want to walk out laugh.gif It's one of those things that the more bad things I hear about it, the more curious I am to see just how bad it is.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Dec 20 2019, 05:15 PM
Post #19
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

QUOTE(Jack @ Dec 20 2019, 03:58 PM) *
I'm not surprised you do.

The Shade laugh.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 20 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #20
It's a cruel summer.
Member No.: 20,947

Seeing this tonight and I'm so so excited idec!!! This is gonna be iconic 😍

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:45 PM