BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Popular App Reviews: WhatsApp, A place to discuss and review this popular mobile application
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Jun 19 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Routinely I’m going to make a thread to review and discuss a popular app which many here will use often and talk about features we like and dislike and how we would change the app if we had the ability to.

It seemed natural to begin this idea by reviewing one of the most popular free apps on the market for all mobile devices, and that is WhatsApp.

To begin, here’s a brief summary of the app, according to Wikipedia;
WhatsApp Messenger is a freeware and cross-platform messaging and Voice over IP (VoIP) service owned by Facebook. The application allows the sending of text messages and voice calls, as well as video calls, images and other media, documents, and user location.

QUICK FACTS

Founded: February 24th 2009
Users: 1.5 billion monthly users worldwide
Activity: 60 billion messages sent daily worldwide

My Review

WhatsApp has been around for as long as I remember having a smartphone. When I first remember learning about what kind of app it was I didn’t see the value of it because if I wanted to message my friends I would simply text them or call them the traditional way. I didn’t fully grasp the capabilities and that it allowed free messaging to people on all kinds of mobile devices and not just one type.
I have used WhatsApp daily for many years now and I regularly receive notifications of new messages. The truth is I can’t imagine not having this app on my phone for the simple reason that it is still a popular and widely used app for the majority of people and no other competing apps have converted users of WhatsApp away from using this app. In my opinion it will always exist and there will always be demand for it worldwide. The app has undergone some major updates in its time to become what it is today, and all the capabilities it offers have been fine-tuned and improved to offer more stability and better performance. If I could suggest one thing to make the app experience better it would be to have more customisation. For example, I’d like to choose to have different colour backgrounds / wallpaper for different chats and not the same one for every chat I have. I would recommend WhatsApp to anyone with a smartphone as an essential tool for every person who wants to reach out to others.

Over to you, do you use WhatsApp? If so, what do you like or dislike about it and how would you change it if you could. happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jun 21 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #2
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Informative thread and good idea for a thread series, I hope to see more of them!

Whatsapp is one of those apps that has always struck me as a little bit superfluous to requirements, but it was a great tool using it as our groupchat method in India, and I still use it here. It feels a lot more private and easy to reach people on than Messenger I guess and it's better than a simple text as you can still make a profile for yourself rather than a number. A nice little inbetween method I suppose.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 21 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

I rarely use it, what is the point when I have Messenger and regular texting?

I do have it but only really use it if some one I know wants to use it.

I also used it for group chats when I worked in a spanish summer camp.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jun 21 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #4
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I use WhatsApp every now and again, it's good for sending multiple photos at once because they go directly into the photo stream. I don't really use it for conversations though.

+Quote Post
Juranamo
post Jun 21 2018, 08:07 PM
Post #5
"Everything seems different the second time around."
Member No.: 5,830
   No Gallery Pics

Pretty much everyone I know only uses WhatsApp for messaging, it kinda sucks because I prefer the Messages interface. I do use it because of that reason though, and it’s handy that you can reach people on pretty much all devices as long as they have an internet connection, so in some way I guess it makes sense for it to be the preferred contact method!

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jun 25 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz @ Jun 21 2018, 03:10 PM) *
It feels a lot more private and easy to reach people on than Messenger I guess and it's better than a simple text as you can still make a profile for yourself rather than a number.
Yep, I thinkin terms of security it’s become the pioneer of messaging services as all messages sent via the app are encrypted to provide more security measures. I’m unsure how well secure Messenger is at present.
QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jun 21 2018, 08:18 PM) *
I use WhatsApp every now and again, it's good for sending multiple photos at once because they go directly into the photo stream.
Yes the photo and video capabilities are far superior to other apps as they allow for multiple pictures like you said as well as longer video clips than can be sent via other apps.
QUOTE(Juranamo @ Jun 21 2018, 09:07 PM) *
Pretty much everyone I know only uses WhatsApp for messaging, it kinda sucks because I prefer the Messages interface. I do use it because of that reason though, and it’s handy that you can reach people on pretty much all devices as long as they have an internet connection, so in some way I guess it makes sense for it to be the preferred contact method!
I too suffer with everyone I know using the app and so it means I must be on it if I am to be reached by them and vice versa! I like that you can see if your messages have been read though!

+Quote Post
m
post Jun 26 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #7
I asked for my account to be banned
Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

You can send multiple photos at once on Messenger too tho?

After a bit of resistance, I now use WhatsApp occasionally to chat. I don't know if I prefer that or Messenger, although I'd sorta love to be one of those people who doesn't use FB (I've already deactivated my News Feed... I can still view people's content on their pages though if I want) and obviously Messenger is related to that, but that being said, I guess it's okay to keep one part of FB active (Messenger, that is) and also, I don't mind signing into other websites or apps using FB.

+Quote Post
post Jun 26 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

I usually use iMessage, as most of my friends have iPhones, and iMessage is faster and uses up a lot less data and battery. I get why it's useful for iPhone/Adroid connection but I don't get why two iPhones communicate on Whatsapp.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jun 28 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #9
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

One of my main friendship groups is carried out through Whatsapp, and I have a couple of other friends who usually chat to me there rather than on Facebook! So I use it daily and I can't see that changing.

I have an iPhone and I certainly have a few friends who have them too, yet we don't use iMessage for some reason laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Logan987
post Jul 26 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #10
New Entry
Member No.: 89,544
   No Gallery Pics

PUBG
Snipper Shots
WCC2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:43 AM