BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Single releases what would you change!?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 08:51 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568
Thought it might be interesting to have a thread regarding the singles released for various albums and what you would change / keep the same for each officially released album.

Rules:
1) You can only release the same amount of singles that the album produced no additional ones or less.
2) We are going to loosely stick to the UK releases, however you can include songs that were on international editions (Step to me, First day of my life etc)
3) The amount of singles is linked to UK released (so even though Beautiful Intentions had FDOML internationally you can't include a third single for BI just two)
4) Any officially cancelled singles can be included (Better Alone for BI / You can have a third single for Forever since IYWHSF was sent out to radios and a video made)
5) I'm not accepting any stand alone singles unless they appear on a parent album (For example I will accept What I am and I want you back but not When you're gone or Out of your mind etc)
6) Any B-sides from that album era can also be used as singles if you wish them to be.
7) You can turn a single a-side into a double a-side release if you wish to do so, but no more than one per album campaign.
8) For an extra fun task you can change the name of the album if you wish to.

The albums and their singles we are taking into consideration are below:

Spice

1) Wannabe
2) Say you'll be there
3) 2 become 1
4) Mama / Who do you think you are

Spiceworld

1) Spice up your life
2) Too much
3) Stop
4) Viva forever

Forever

1) Goodbye
2) Holler / Let love lead the way
3) If you wanna have some fun (radio single / cancelled single)

The Greatest Hits

1) Headlines

Northern Star

1) Going down
2) Northern star
3) Never be the same again
4) I turn to you
5) If that were me

Reason

1) Here it comes again
2) On the horizon
3) Melt / Yeh, yeh, yeh

Beautiful Intentions

1) Next best superstar
2) Better alone

This Time

1) I want candy
2) Carolyna
3) This time

The Sea

1) Think about it
2) Weak

Stages

1) I don't know how to love him
2) I know him so well

Version Of Me

1) Anymore
2) Dear life
3) Hold on
4. Room for love

Melanie C

1) Who I am
2) Blame it on me
3) In and out of love
4) Fearless
5) Into you

A Girl Like Me

1) What I am
2) What took you so long?
3) Take my breath away
4) Were not gonna sleep tonight

Free Me

1) Free me
2) Maybe
3) I'll be there
4) Crickets sing for Anamaria

Life In Mono

1) Downtown
2) All I need to know

My Happy Place

1) Baby please don't stop
2) All I need (to get by)

Schizophonic

1) Look at me
2) Mi Chico Latino
3) Lift me up
4) Bag it up

Scream If You Wanna Go Faster

1) It's raining men
2) Scream if you wanna go faster
3) Calling

Passion

1) Ride it
2) Desire

Hot

1) I want you back
2) Tell me
3) Feels so good
4) Lullaby

LA State Of Mind

1) Today

Victoria Beckham

1) Not such an innocent girl
2) A mind of it's own

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 2nd June 2023, 07:33 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
It has taken me an hour to do this post so I'll think and post later my response

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st June 2023, 09:26 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
FUN!! cheer.gif

(although you FORGOT LIFE IN MONO scaryboy how f***ing dare you?????? drama.gif )

My picks:

Spice
1) Wannabe
2) Say you'll be there
3) 2 become 1
4) Naked / Who do you think you are (I think Mama was the right decision, but Naked or even If You Cant Dance deserved to SHINE!)

Spiceworld
1) Spice up your life
2) Too much
3) Stop
4) Viva Forever / Never Give Up ON the Good Times (what shoud have been!!)

Forever
1) Goodbye
2) Holler
3) If You Wanna Have Some Fun / Let Love Lead The Way w00t.gif (I changed this from Oxygen as I think after reading scaryboy's answer, it made sense to me and come on, it would have been perfect!!)

The Greatest Hits
1) Headlines

Northern Star
1) Go!
2) Northern Star
3) Never Be the Same Again
4) I Turn To You (Original mix)
5) Closer

Personally, I felt the I Turn To You single mix was a step down. I know it was successful, but damn the album version is so so so good! I hope she one day does it live again... Go! should have been the first single. It marked a departure from the Spice sound without sounding so 'try hard' like Going Down. Plus it was much more radio-friendly! And Closer is one of her best ballads, it should have been a single back then!

Reason
1) Yeah Yeah Yeah
2) Let's Love
3) Reason

Her singles for Reason were all wrong, sorry. Both Here It Comes Again and On The Horizon were not good enough to lead a campaign!

Beautiful Intentions
1) Next Best Superstar
2) You'll Get Yours

This Time
1) The Moment You Believe
2) Carolyna
3) Out Of Time

The Sea
1) Think about it
2) Burn

Stages
1) I don't know how to love him
2) I know him so well

Version Of Me
1) Anymore
2) Room for Love
3) Loving You Better

Melanie C
1) Who I Am
2) Blame it on me
3) Overload
4) Good Enough
5) Into You

A Girl Like Me
1) What I Am
2) What took you so long?
3) Take My breath away
4) Better Be Careful

Free Me
1) Free me
2) Maybe
3) I'll be there
4) Crickets Sing for Anamaria/Breathing

Life in Mono
1. Take Me To Another Town
2. All That You'll Be

My Happy Place
1) Baby Please Don't Stop/ I Wish I Could Have Loved You More
2) Too Many Tears

Schizophonic
1) Look At Me
2) Mi Chico Latino
3) Sometime
4) Let Me Love You

1) Feels Like Sex
3) Calling

Passion
1) Ride it
2) Love Never Loved Me

Hot
1) I Want You Back
2) Tell Me
3) Feels so good
4) Hotter

LA State Of Mind
1) Today

Victoria Beckham
1) Not such an innocent girl
2) I Wish

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 1st June 2023, 11:19 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 09:30 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
LOL ffs I did! (and after the long post in the LIM thread haha)

I'll edit.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 09:37 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
And whoa... I can't believe it but me and you have lots of similar choices Mr X! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 09:45 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Spice Girls!

Spice
1. Wannabe
2. Say you'll be there
3. 2 become 1
4. Mama / Who do you think you are

I wouldn't change anything about Spice single releases, they were utterly perfect. While I am not the biggest fan of Mama and prefer other songs on the album, I can't deny it was a fantastic choice for promo and it is still used every mothers day still now so I can forgive the release even if I think it's a total cheese fest. It's also rather lovely live and that melody is s catchy.

Spiceworld
1. Spice up your life
2. Too much
3. Stop
4. Viva forever / Never give up on the good times

Again the order of releases for this album were all SPOT on. The only change I would make is adding NGUTGT to Viva forever with a tour monstage video, there was really no reason not to it is such a fab song and deserved to be highlighted, plus another song to sell more of the single. I'd also move Stop back a week so it got to #1 but hindsight is a lovely thing ha

Forever
1. Goodbye
2. Holler
3. Let love lead the way / If you wanna have some fun

If I hadn't set me own rule that only one double a-side is allowed then Holler and LLLTW would have been a double a-side and IYWHSF would have been a double-aside with Get down with me as well. However I think LLLTW is a beautiful song and actually one of the stronger ones on the album, also it would go nice with the ballad / upbeat sides of the album being represented. I feel like IYWHSF would also appeal more to their poppier fans too

The Greatest Hits
1. Headlines

Well there is no other choice on that album is there!? It's Headlines or nothing as I like to pretend Voodoo never happened... so bad!

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 3rd June 2023, 05:52 PM

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 1st June 2023, 10:00 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700
I'll focus on Melanie C first since I think half of the time she picks the wrong singles.

Northern Star
Go - perfect lead single and much more radio friendly than Goin Down
Northern Star
Never Be The Same Again
I Turn To You
Closer

Reason
Yeah Yeah Yeah
Love To You
Positively Somewhere

Beautiful Intentionsb
Next Best Superstar
You'll Get Yours

This Timeb
Carolyna
Already Gone
Understand

The Sea
Think About It
Drown

Version of Me
Anymore
Room For Love
Blame

Melanie C
Who I Am
Into You
Nowhere To Run
Blame It On Me

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 10:18 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Melanie C

Northern Star
1. Go
2. Northern star
3. Never be the same again
4. I turn to you (Hex Hector Mix)
5. Closer / Feel the sun (Dance remix)

Amazingly mine and Mr X's choices are almost identical except for me choosing the remix of ITTY over the album version and then adding on a FTS dance remix like the live one posted on here a while ago which I utterly loved! While I LOVE Going Down (especially live) and I think it did it's job in reintroducing her I do think Go would have been slightly better. It still has that rockier sound to it while being far more radio friendly and is an epic opening track for the era.

Reason
1. Here it comes again / Yeh, yeh, yeh
2. I love you without trying
3. Living without you

I went for a double a-side for the first release this time. I feel like it seemed as if Melanie had been away for a while now and while I love HICA and think it deserved a time to shine, it would have benefited from a more upbeat track backing it up too. Yeh, yeh, yeh was a great track although I would probably rename it On a mission personally. Then my follow up singles are both B-Sides which I consider to be the strongest two tracks she recorded of that era. Still cannot believe they were relegated to B-sides I am also a big fan of On the horizon so if I was sticking to album tracks I would still have chosen that one

Beautiful Intentions
1. Next best superstar
2. Last night on earth

Better alone is a pretty track and nice as an album track but should never have been the second single. Especially since she was introducing a harder sound the song does nothing to represent the album (neither does FDOML but that's another story). Last night on earth is catchy and represents the album better. I could see it having an awesome video too in a nightclub or something. NBS was the perfect first single though. I suppose if she personally REALLY wanted Better Alone released then she could have done a double a-side of NBS or LNOE with it, but as a stand alone, NOPE!

Fragile (Renamed This Time)
1. Understand
2. Carolyna
3. Already gone

Well I want candy wouldn't exist if I had my way, even if it did give her a top 10 hit in a few European countries sick2.gif I don't think IWC did anything for the album in the UK and was totally the wrong choice. I would have led with Understand, utterly love this track and it is a much better representation of the album. Carolyna next and then end with Already gone. Another B-side being chosen for Mel, I would also have included and named This Time album Fragile. Stop making great tracks B-sides Mel!

The Sea
1. Think about it
2. Burn

Another identical choice to Mr X!!! I actually LOVE Weak, it's one of my favourite Melanie tracks, however Burn was screaming (burning) to be released and is FAR more radio friendly than anything else on the album. Which makes it really bizarre that Radio 2 basically insisted on Weak being released if she wanted airplay... and it becoming such a big radio hit for her over burn!?!?

Stages
1. I know him so well
2. I don't know how to love him

I can't quite remember the release order for Stages but I feel like IDKHTLH was released a while before the album perhaps? Was Stages released off the back of Superstar!? If so it is a shame that they didn't release IKHSW first and have a performance on the show with Emma and Mel, I feel like that could have helped the single to chart better with more exposure (and the usual daytime show rounds) Then release IDKHTLH while touring with JCS and do the morning shows with a few cast members perhaps?

Version Of Me
1. Anymore
2. Loving you better
3. Escalator
4. Room for love

I like Version of me as an album but I have to be honest, I don't think it's tracks are particularly single worthy after Anymore and Loving you better so I struggled decided on 3 and 4. I like Room for love but feel like it is just missing something to make it great, Escalator I love but I still don't quite see it as a single. Perhaps a two single campaign this one (since the rest did nothing for the album anyway)

Who I Am (renamed Melanie C album)
1. Who I am
2. Blame it on me
3. Into you
4. In and out of love
5. Overload

I think she got the single released perfect in this era! I just switched out In and out of love with Into you as I prefer that, I nearly put that in second place above Blame it on me, but I think BIOM was so well received following up Who I Am that it was the right choice. Also renamed the album Who I Am because I hate self titled albums lol. IF she had released a Greatest Hits just after (or at the same time as the autobiography) and called it Who I Am: The Singles Collection, I would have forgiven her but NO such luck!

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 2nd June 2023, 07:34 AM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 10:19 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I forgot Version of Me also had Room for love release so there are 4 options from that era. Apologies feel free to edit!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st June 2023, 10:25 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thanks for sharing Sideout. Again so very similar choices!

I'm going to do the rest of the girls over the weekend as I am going away tomorrow and need to get some sleep. It's taking me a while since I am writing stupid long sections that nobody will probably read haha!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st June 2023, 11:17 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587
You also forgot Fearless (feat Nadia Rose) ohmy.gif whip.gif

Edited to add another single to the self titled! I cant decide another single for Version of Me... that album just wasn't it!!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd June 2023, 07:32 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Was that an official single or just a promo release like overload? I’ll edit it in.

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 2nd June 2023, 07:32 AM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd June 2023, 07:59 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Emma

A Girl Like Me
1) What I am
2) What took you so long
3) Take my breath away
4) High on love

I think Emma almost got the first campaign spot on. It was just the last single, I have never liked the song not the album version nor the single remix so changed that. I think Sunshine on a rainy day could have made a nice single from that album too

Free Me
1. Free me
2. Maybe
3. I'll be there
4. Breathing / Tomorrow

Again another near perfect release strategy for Emma. The first 3 singles are all perfection, but I have never been quiet about my dislike for Crickets! I don't mind it as an album track at a push but otherwise I think it was an awful single (funny video though). Breathing was RIGHT THERE! I doon't think I'll ever get over that not being a single, it is SO good. Add Tomorrow on as a double a-side to boost attention a bit.

Life In Mono
1) Take me to another town
2) Mischievous

I think using CIN was a great strategy for Emma and it certainly helped provide the last top 10 spice related release! Not sure it would have performed as well on it's own. I however think it wasn't the greatest single for an album campaign and don't understand why she did not do one of her own original tracks? Take me to another town is a fun bop which could have worked well and the Downtown video could have actually been cute for it, like a hotel room in each town. Rope the strictly contestants in again and then release the album off of the back of an original track. I feel that Mischievous was the next most commercial track which could have played well on radio, such a bop and my personal favourite song on the album.

My Happy Place
1) Baby please don't stop
2) Too many teardrops

It obviously didn't matter what she released at this point, nothing was going to chart! However these are the two strongest tracks and certainly deserved the full attentions and music videos etc. I understand why she went with the Jade duet but if she was doing that for attention then the Will Young duet would have been he better option.

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 2nd June 2023, 08:08 AM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd June 2023, 08:08 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Geri

Schizophonic
1) Look at me
2) Mi Chico Latino
3) Lift me up
4) Bag it up

Well done Geri, flawless singles run. While these are not necessarily all my favourite songs from the album, I can't deny that all of them did incredibly well and all of them helped the album keep selling, so I wouldn't change a thing (apart from a proper second CD to beat Boyzone!!).

1) It's raining men
2) Strength of a woman
3) Circles around the moon

Geri's second album suffered from singles I felt. It was obvously 100% the right decision to release IRM, Geri felt like a huge star at that point with it smashing all over Europe! The follow up ones were wrong in my opionion, especially SIYWGF. I feel like Strength of a woman would have been the strongest follow up, a catchy melodic track which also plays to Geri's 'Girl Power' image / promo. Then as much as I love Calling (I think it is a stunning track), I don't think it was the right choice for a single. Circles around the moon would have worked better, perhaps with that magic themed video she was thinking of

Passion
1) Love never loved me
2) Let me love you more

I actually like both single releases from Passion. Ride it is so fun and I personally love the car crash video for it. Same for Desire, I think it's very Kylie Minogue and would have performed much better had she released it. However she had Love never loved me right there! Launch the album off the back of that when Ride it was released and then follow up with Let me love you more afterwards showing another side to the album and also a ballad as by my releases she hasn't had one since Lift me up.

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 2nd June 2023, 08:09 AM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd June 2023, 08:20 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Mel B & Victoria

Last ones here!

Hot
1) I want you back
2) Feels so good
3) Hotter
4) Tell me / Lullaby

Mel B had a good run of singles from this album however I feel like the order was wrong! She should have launched the album (in the summer before Forever) off the back of Feels so good. This wouldn't have been as jarring as Tell me was which caused her to get the 'bitter ex' tag from the song being released first. I would have followed up with Hotter which was screaming to be released and is the best song on the album. I think this track was the best chance of helping the album continue to sell. I would round it off with a double a-side of Tell me and yes Lullaby! Lullaby was clearly an important song for Mel so let her release it with the stronger track of Tell me. I also think releasing this as a double a-side would have helped to soothe some of the "bitter ex" criticism since Lullaby is so sweet in opposition to that song.

LA State Of Mind
1) If I had my life again

I am one of the minority who actually LOVES Today. It's a bit of a mess but it is SO catchy. Love the reggae type beat at the beginning and the chorus is just so singalong. However it was not the right track to launch LASOM with. I think If I had my life again would have appealed more to radio, it's a beautiful track and I'd say the strongest one on the album. I think they knew it was a one single and bung the album out affair so showcase your best work. I think that song would have managed to chart top 40 since Today only just missed out [hate #11, #21 and #41 positions!)

Victoria Beckham
1) Midnight fantasy
2) I wish

I think Victoria got the singles SO wrong on this album. NSAIG is cute as an album opener but not a single to lead the campaign. I chose Midnight Fantasy for the first single. A catchy bop and infinitely cooler than NSAIG. The follow up had to be I wish, which is the coolest track on the album. Stick t the solo version no need for a nobody duetting on it with her... that Robbie whoever he was guy???

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 2nd June 2023, 11:15 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829
Northern Star

1) Ga Ga
2) Northern Star
3) Never Be the Same Again
4) I Turn To You
5) Closer

Reason

1) Here It Comes Again
2) Let's Love
3) Melt

Beautiful Intentions

1) Next Best Superstar
2) Little Piece of Me

This Time

1) Understand
2) Carolyna
3) Already Gone

The Sea

1) Think About It
2) One By One

Stages

1) I Don't Know to Love Him
2) I Know Him So Well

Version of Me

1) Anymore
2) Room for Love
3) Loving You Better
4) Dear Life

Melanie C

1) Who I Am
2) Blame It On Me
3) In and Out of Love
4) Overload
5) Into You

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 2nd June 2023, 11:57 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682
Spice

1) Wannabe
2) Say you'll be there
3) 2 become 1
4) Mama / Who do you think you are
5) Naked (Kidz Bop Version)

Spiceworld

1) Spice up your life
2) Too much
3) Stop
4) Viva Forever
5) NGUOTGT

Forever

1) Goodbye
2) Holler / Let love lead the way
3) Go, Go, Go

The Greatest Hits

1) Headlines
(Removing Voodoo from the tracklist)

Northern Star

1) Ga Ga
2) Northern star
3) Never be the same again
4) I turn to you (remix)
5) The Desert Sessions (includes “Closer”, “Feel the Sun”, and new track feat. Anthony Kiedis)

Reason

none.

Beautiful Intentions

1) Next best superstar
2) First day of my life

This Time

2) Carolyna
3) Understand

The Sea

1) Think about it
2) Burn

Stages

none.

Version Of Me

1) Anymore
2) One Minute
3) Hold on
4) Room for love

Melanie C

1) Who I am
2) Blame it on me
3) In and out of love
4) Fearless (feat. Mel OBE)
5) Into you

A Girl Like Me

1) What took you so long?

Free Me

1) Free me
2) Maybe
3) I'll be there
4) Crickets sing for Anamaria

Life In Mono

1) All I need to know

My Happy Place

none.

Schizophonic

1) Look at me
2) Mi Chico Latino

1) It's [i][/i]raining men
3) Calling

Passion

none.

Hot

1) I want you back
2) Tell me
3) Feels so good
4) Lullaby

LA State Of Mind

none.

Victoria Beckham

none.

This post has been edited by dancinqueen: 2nd June 2023, 11:59 AM

+Quote this post
colinn
post 2nd June 2023, 12:59 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,033
Northern Star
1) Ga Ga
2) Northern Star
3) Never Be The Same Again
4) I Turn to You
5) Be The One

If That Were Me was a serious misstep, I don't know what they were thinking. I think 'Be The One' would've been super radio friendly and sold the album a bit better over the Christmas period. She denied herself another easy hit.

Forever
1) Goodbye
2) Holler
3) If You Wanna Have Some Fun/Let Love Lead The Way

Echoing others comments, LLLTW was a pointless double A-side as Holler was already performing well and is largely forgotten. They should've just waited until January 2001 to get out a double A-Side and secure another #1.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 3rd June 2023, 05:50 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Oops I forgot the Greatest Hits! Edited... not that there is any choice with that one, I actually would have preferred NGUOTGT be released and Headlines stick as an album track.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 3rd June 2023, 07:49 PM
Post #20
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
I have read everything cheer.gif So many good ideas here, I think the girls needed you as managers cool2.gif I'll try and get around to doing this myself!

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 02:09 PM