BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Bad Horror Movies, How can be so bad..
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post 11th December 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

I decided to make a topic about old horror movies. I just watched "One Missed Call" and I felt that it was quite bad. If you had the same feelings about other horror movies, you could add your thoughts here.

I was alone at home and I decided to watch a dvd. Since I made the decision, I preferred to see a thriller because these movies are always better when you see them alone at your home. My initial choice was "My Bloody Valentine" but I was informed from the dvd store that this movie was never released as a dvd in my country (what a pity). So I rented "One Missed Call" which I wanted for a long time to see but it never happened. "One Missed Call" came out in the cinemas in 2008. The truth is that I do not remember the official trailer and all I knew was that Shannyn Sossamon was starring in it (she is known from teen comedies).
I can say that from the first quarters of the movie, I drew my conclusions about the film. The performances were pretty bad and the directing was moderate. It had a few scary moments and the end was very disappointing. Let alone, it ended somewhat fast. "One Missed Call" is a remake based on the Japanese horror film with the same English title released in 2003. As I have not seen the original film, I can not make comparisons between the two films. However I do not think that the original movie could be so bad. Otherwise what's the point of doing the remake? I expected that it would be a horror story with a serial killer, but eventually ended up seeing another supernatural movie with ghosts and evil spirits. The deaths reminded me of those in the "Final Destination" and as the case progressed, the more confusing it made me feel. The script had so many gaps which left unanswered questions and the do-it-yourself editing made it even worse. It was about 78 minutes but when it was in its 60th minute, I definitely wanted it to be over. Having seen in recent years many movies with similar story, I think that "One Missed Call" was pretty bad compared to the new ones, like The Conjuring, Insidious, Annabelle etc. There is nothing different that it can offer you and it is just a time killer. It reminded me of some old movies that came out exclusively for the purchase on video and later, to the DVD market. The French director Eric Valette has not done anything special after "One Missed Call" and this has not caused me any impression. Except that he guided the actors very poorly and created mediocre visual effects. The only good thing I found in the movie was the ringtone which you can hear in the official trailer. Maybe, it sounds very innocent and childish but actually it had something very scary during the movie. What a pity! It is used and wasted in this case.
I really feel very lucky that I didn't watch "One Missed Call" in the cinema because I literally would have cried over the money spent. It received very negative reviews worldwide and the film was not screened for critics (I wonder why). It has amassed a very low score on IMDb (3,9) while there are many who believe that it's the worst remake which has been made in Japanese horror films. However, it had a good result in the Box Office and it managed to get back what was spent on its budget. It could have had a more realistic plot but since this was the concept, do not expect too much.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 11th December 2014, 11:03 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th December 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I'll add why later as in bed but here are some of mine:

The Ring Two
Let Me In
I, Frankenstein (it can kind of count)

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 11th December 2014, 11:23 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Dec 12 2014, 01:04 AM) *
I'll add why later as in bed but here are some of mine:

The Ring Two
Let Me In
I, Frankenstein (it can kind of count)

I have watched two of them. "The Ring 2" was not so bad. However, it was worse than the first movie. "The Ring" is one one of the best horror movies ever! It had a lot of scary moments and the atmosphere was great too. "The Ring 2" was weak in comparison with it.
I haven't watched "Let Me In" yet. I watched the original version of the film four years ago. The swedish version (Låt den Rätte Komma In) was quite good as I remember it.
"I, Frankestein" is surely one of the worst movies that I watched in cinema this year. The directing wasn't good, the visual effects weren't impressive, the script was poor and the acting even worse. I thought that it could be a decent movie but it was very bad.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 11th December 2014, 11:23 PM

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 11th December 2014, 11:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675

Ouija was just horrific puke.gif awful acting and awful plot that had no reason to exist what-so-ever.. Paranormal activity 2 and 4 were also huge let-downs (too slow).

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th December 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(Insomnio @ Dec 11 2014, 11:23 PM) *
I have watched two of them. "The Ring 2" was not so bad. However, it was worse than the first movie. "The Ring" is one one of the best horror movies ever! It had a lot of scary moments and the atmosphere was great too. "The Ring 2" was weak in comparison with it.
I haven't watched "Let Me In" yet. I watched the original version of the film four years ago. The swedish version (Låt den Rätte Komma In) was quite good as I remember it.
"I, Frankestein" is surely one of the worst movies that I watched in cinema this year. The directing wasn't good, the visual effects weren't impressive, the script was poor and the acting even worse. I thought that it could be a decent movie but it was very bad.

I so agree with this which is probably the reason why I don't like the ring 2. The first is my favourite horror ever and is just so amazing wub.gif

I got I, Frankenstein on DVD from one of those shops where you buy and sell DVDs. I watched it the day I got it, hated it and went back to the shop the next day and sold it smile.gif The acting and script was really beyond diabolical wasn't it. I can't wait to do my 2014 films I saw countdown and have the biggest rant about this smile.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th December 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(NellyXmas. S @ Dec 11 2014, 11:25 PM) *
Ouija was just horrific puke.gif awful acting and awful plot that had no reason to exist what-so-ever.. Paranormal activity 2 and 4 were also huge let-downs (too slow).

And this reminds me (on what is probably going to be a very controversial choice):
Paranormal activity

Absolutely nothing happens and the only good part is the last 20 seconds. The other 85 or however minutes were like watching a boring documentary drama.gif

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 11th December 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #7
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab

Let me in wasn't awful but it was too slow to keep my interest and not really a 'scary' story. It was more of a dark fantasy type movie. Chloe moretz stole the show either way wub.gif

EDIT- Noooooo Ultra cry.gif Paranormal activity is a classic! Terrifying in its simplicity, I remember struggling to sleep after watching it the first time! The rest are pretty rubbish though and I doubt the next one is going to be any better.

This post has been edited by NellyXmas. S: 11th December 2014, 11:29 PM

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 11th December 2014, 11:31 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(NellyXmas. S @ Dec 11 2014, 11:27 PM) *
Let me in wasn't awful but it was too slow to keep my interest and not really a 'scary' story. It was more of a dark fantasy type movie. Chloe moretz stole the show either way wub.gif

EDIT- Noooooo Ultra cry.gif Paranormal activity is a classic! Terrifying in its simplicity, I remember struggling to sleep after watching it the first time! The rest are pretty rubbish though and I doubt the next one is going to be any better.

Tbh I only watched the first 20 minutes of let me in before it made me feel physically sick so I had to stop. However Chloë is amazing and is one of my favourites actresses wub.gif

Also another one to add as I am getting on a roll, hide and seek. The performances were quite good (especially Dakota) but that has to be one of the most f**ked up films I have ever seen in my whole life. It just goes madder than mad drama.gif

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 11th December 2014, 11:44 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(NellyXmas. S @ Dec 12 2014, 01:25 AM) *

I really want to watch "Ouija" because the official trailer tempts me. I haven't watched "Paranormal activity 2,3 and 4" yet. However, Paranormal activity was dreadful. The worst movie that I watched in the cinema five years ago. It wasn't very scary. There were only screamings..The woman was very irritating. Why "the ghost" didn't kill her?? tongue.gif

QUOTE(Ultraviolence1989 @ Dec 12 2014, 01:26 AM) *
I so agree with this which is probably the reason why I don't like the ring 2. The first is my favourite horror ever and is just so amazing wub.gif

I got I, Frankenstein on DVD from one of those shops where you buy and sell DVDs. I watched it the day I got it, hated it and went back to the shop the next day and sold it smile.gif The acting and script was really beyond diabolical wasn't it. I can't wait to do my 2014 films I saw countdown and have the biggest rant about this smile.gif

Did you find any portential victim for this..? If I were you, I would struggle to sell it to anyone.. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Insomnio: 11th December 2014, 11:44 PM

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post 11th December 2014, 11:47 PM
Post #10
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab

QUOTE(Insomnio @ Dec 11 2014, 11:44 PM) *
I really want to watch "Ouija" because the official trailer tempts me. I haven't watched "Paranormal activity 2,3 and 4" yet. However, Paranormal activity was dreadful. The worst movie that I watched in the cinema five years ago. It wasn't very scary. There were only screamings..The woman was very irritating. Why "the ghost" didn't kill her?? tongue.gif

ohmy.gif If you didn't like the first don't bother watching the rest! They don't get better :/

Ouija looks good from the trailer but the actual movie was just awful. The trailer essentially picks the best bits of the movie and mash it together. In the actual film even these intense looking scenes don't work cause you don't care for any of the characters (little character development) and so don't feel bad for them.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 11th December 2014, 11:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Paranormal Activity was quite 'meh' for the first hour or so, the final ten minutes in the bedroom are truly terrifying, silly me was watching it at night so was terrified to even step out of my room! I like it overall, not the best use of that concept but it works. Shame they've flogged it so much with sequels it's just uninteresting now.

On topic, Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween is one of my least favourite films ever - perfect example of completely kill both a classic villain and any form of suspense whatsoever with a gore overload (and a rape scene, less said the better about THAT *shudders*). There is also not a single likeable nor convincing character in the film, whether they are intentionally so or we're meant to be rooting for them.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 12th December 2014, 12:33 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(NellyXmas. S @ Dec 12 2014, 01:47 AM) *
ohmy.gif If you didn't like the first don't bother watching the rest! They don't get better :/

Ouija looks good from the trailer but the actual movie was just awful. The trailer essentially picks the best bits of the movie and mash it together. In the actual film even these intense looking scenes don't work cause you don't care for any of the characters (little character development) and so don't feel bad for them.

I feel that "little character development" is one of the basic elements for these kinds of movies. They always have a good personality (the last victim) and the rest were terrible.

QUOTE(FrostytheWallaby @ Dec 12 2014, 01:56 AM) *
Paranormal Activity was quite 'meh' for the first hour or so, the final ten minutes in the bedroom are truly terrifying, silly me was watching it at night so was terrified to even step out of my room! I like it overall, not the best use of that concept but it works. Shame they've flogged it so much with sequels it's just uninteresting now.

On topic, Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween is one of my least favourite films ever - perfect example of completely kill both a classic villain and any form of suspense whatsoever with a gore overload (and a rape scene, less said the better about THAT *shudders*). There is also not a single likeable nor convincing character in the film, whether they are intentionally so or we're meant to be rooting for them.

Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween was only deaths. It hadn't plot and the directing wasn't great. I wouldn't say that it was my worst movie that year but it wasn't good as the original film. Basically, it was a hardcore film with many sadomasochistic scenes..

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 16th December 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #13
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

I totally agree that One Missed Call was terrible, here's a few that I can think off =

Halloween II (2009)
The first remake was bad enough but this is just awful, it doesn't feel like a Halloween film for a start it's stupid Michael Myers looks more like a hobo and what's with that stupid psychic link, and his mother riding a horse. Terrible

The Unborn
What the hell was Gary Oldman doing in this mess, not scary, not anything.

Gingerbread Man
How can a biscuit be scary.

Lost Souls
Pointless and basically ruined what was left of Winona Ryder's career.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The Next Generation
Makes all the others look like Oscar winners, and plus ruined the character made him wear a dress and doesn't even kill anyone with a chainsaw.

Snoop Dogg's Hood Of Horror
Basically a non movie and Snoop Dogg should stick to music.

The Wicker Man (2006)
Basically an insult to the original, but Nicolas Cage punching and kicking women, and bad acting makes it laughable.

Manos Hand Of Fate
OMG terrible doesn't even describe it, non acting, don't get what's supposed to be going on.

Blair Witch Project 2
For a start doesn't even follow the events of original and just crap.

Alone In The Dark (2005)
Uwe Boll wreaks another classic computer game and marks the end of Christian Slater's cinema career and Tara Reid playing a doctor (yeah right).

Nightmare On Elm Street (Remake)
Where do I begin, Freddy looks more like a skinned cat and everything in this was just a mess.

Friday The 13th part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan
I normally love these films apart from this and Jason Goes To Hell, and for a start Jason doesn't show up in Manhattan until the end and the rest of the time, just bland thrills on a boat.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 13th January 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

"My Bloody Valentine 3D" was released five years ago in cinemas and it is a remake of the homonymous film of the 80s! Viewers were able to see it only in 3D since during that time, many studios were trying to promote the three-dimensional image as the new trend. Yet, it seemed that the moviegoers are not thrilled so much with 3D and for this reason there were few productions operating exclusively in three-dimensional version in the last two years. I wanted to watch this film for a long time even though I had not seen the official trailer. I had not read the plot and I didn't know who the actors were. I knew only the title and the fact that it is a horror film with a serial killer. So, there was a mystery before I rented it from my neighbourhood dvd store. However, everything changed after the first quarter.
"My Bloody Valentine 3D" was worse than I expected. It had miserable perfromances, disgusting scenes, tragic dialogues and quite mediocre directing. Everyone would expect to see a completely different story from this movie. The title has no direct contact/meaning with the content as it happened with "Valentine (2000)" and it could have been renamed. Obviously, they coined it for commercial reasons. I guess many couples went to the cinema to watch it on St. Valentines. The killer wears a miner outfit and the script does not explain to us in the beginning of the story why he kills the victims on that specific day. Certainly, it did not explain to us nor at the end of the movie and left it unanswered to us. Regularly, the story should have had a connection with a repressed love in order to fully justify its title! However, "My Bloody Valentine 3D" had all the elements that reminded us of 80's horror movies. There were many bloodbaths, a lot of screaming, grotesque deaths, sex scenes, stupid chicks etc. The Canadian Patric Lussier directed the film while he has dealt with the script and the editing before. It seems, however, that he has no particular expertise in directing by what I saw. Yet, although the beginning of the movie was pretty bad and the performances were amateur, in the last 40 minutes there was high tension and suspense. Therefore, I would not give it a very low score. In the last scene, however, it returned to the initially bad rhythm.
"My Bloody Valentine 3D" was a commercial success in the Box Office! It had a fairly low budget ($14.000.000) but managed to surpass $100 million worldwide! Perhaps, it was helped by the well made official trailer, which I can say that it is one of the best of this genre. In convinces you to see it and it gives you the illusion that it is something very scary. What certainly strikes me is the score that it has received on MDb (5,5). I have clearly watched better horror movies which they have had the same average score. The only thing that concerns me is the criteria of those who gave a very high rating to this horror film. I wouldn't recommend it even on Valentine's Day.

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post 13th January 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #15
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421

'Stitiches' featuring Ross Noble as the lead villain was pretty awful laugh.gif So so so cheap although it's more comedic than scary.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 13th January 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980

Autopsy is a good suggestion if you want to see a fairly bad film.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 10:16 AM