BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> God Control ● video out now
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 26th June 2019, 11:57 PM
Post #61
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Echoing what everyone else is saying really, this is excellent, powerful & important. Well done Madonna heart.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th June 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

#GodControl is trending worldwide on Twitter with 16.1k tweets!

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 27th June 2019, 12:15 AM
Post #63
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

Liam if i have not replied in this thread i give u buzzjack permission to stalk me to remind me!!! PLS

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th June 2019, 12:19 AM
Post #64
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I missed that poster on my first few watches!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th June 2019, 12:21 AM
Post #65
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Rhoda Camel @ Jun 27 2019, 01:15 AM) *
Liam if i have not replied in this thread i give u buzzjack permission to stalk me to remind me!!! PLS

I shall! Very interested to hear your thoughts!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 27th June 2019, 12:52 AM
Post #66
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

The ending shot of the video with the tear is so powerful.

Seriously what other female could make a video this powerful?

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 27th June 2019, 05:56 AM
Post #67
Group icon
User: 13,007

I've woke up thinking about the video. It's the first video in an AGE to leave me feeling this affected. I feel angry, emotional, joyous, heartbroken, moved... and most of all proud. This is the woman that has revolutionised pop music over and over again and has once again outdone herself.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th June 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #68
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Fab article from Bradley Stern on Muumuse:

Madonna‘s tackled countless points of social contention throughout her over thirty year-long career as the Queen of Pop™ – religion, racial injustice, gender inequality, sexuality, war, power, greed, corruption. You name it, Madonna’s probably sung and danced around on stage about it at some point.

“God Control,” which I consider to be the true centerpiece of her worldly, political Madame X, tackles the super breezy subject of gun control. Nothing divisive about that issue at all here in America! Nope, not at all…

And in the accompanying Jonas Akerlund-directed music video released on Wednesday (June 26), she – as with anything – doesn’t shy away from illustrating the issue in vibrant and gory detail, complete with a much-needed trigger warning. Literally.

Admittedly, I – and many people in and around the entertainment industry, I’m sure – had a general idea of what was coming with this music video in advance because, well: squeeze a bunch of Drag Race girls, YouTubers and creatives into a room, and the tea is bound to spill. The descriptions I was given varied in intensity – from “it’s like a classic, old-school Madonna video” (?) to “it’s basically the Pulse shooting – you’re not ready.”

I was mostly terrified of how this already extremely sensitive subject could be approached with respect and decency, but after watching, I think Madonna’s managed to do it in an artistic, effective and, most of all, jarring way.

Without making specific references to any one event (because, frankly, who can even keep track at this horrifying rate?), Madame X tackles the most prevalent atrocities happening around the country in one clip: armed robbery, school shootings, club massacres. The underlying cause is always the same: gun violence.

As I pointed out in the Madame X review, there some hypocrisy at play, admittedly: she’s the same artist who performed the wildly bloody “Gang Bang” on the MDNA Tour just a few years ago, after all. But I’m not interested in holding her to a performance concept or a position on an idea forever. Everyone, pop artist or otherwise, should be allowed to evolve on issues.

To get her point across, Madge scatters scenes of the horrific events of the late night dance floor massacre – which are brief, but startling – in between shots of real-life gun control protests, as well as of Madame X frustratingly puffing away on a cigarette at a typewriter, writing out the lyrics of her twisted disco epic: “Everybody knows the damn truth.” “We lost gun control.” “When they talk reform, it makes me laugh.”

There are some particularly striking visual moments throughout, including the children’s choir singing through their tears, and the long line of caskets stretched down the church aisle. But perhaps one of the most effective scenes – for me, anyway – was seeing her getting dressed to go out for the night while watching the breaking news coverage of a school shooting on TV – with a “straight white men rule everything around me” poster hanging in the room, no less.

That is an absurdly accurate depiction of the experience of American Life – in these past few years, especially. Watching it back, it’s all the more absurd that it even is a part of life. I’ve lived that experience, too. I’m sure most people have. But it shouldn’t be normal.

As with most things Madonna, the video is a lot to process. The messaging is a lot to process. And yes, it absolutely does trigger the trauma that the queer community at large experienced three years ago this month. But the video (mercifully) steers away from glamorization or exploitation: instead, it’s an important, disturbing reminder that change needs to happen, still.

The Studio 54 euphoria of the song, mixed with the horrifying imagery of bloodied bodies hitting the floor, is exactly the kind of stomach-churning discomfort needed to convey the situation at hand: we feel helpless about the State of Things, we go out and dance to forget, and even the spaces we consider safest can be violated, violently so.

It’s deeply upsetting to watch – but then, it’s also not more than a mirror being held up to society. Madonna, as always, is one of the few pop stars willing to make such a bold message in her ongoing quest to fight for what she believes is right.

It’s time to wake up.

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 27th June 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #69
Group icon

the video is really quite something. the contrast between the music and the shooting scenes is unnerving!

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 27th June 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #70
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

This is exactly the Madonna I love — and to do this so far into her career.

Incredible

+Quote this post
vibe
post 27th June 2019, 07:18 PM
Post #71
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

One of the pulse survivors has complained to TMZ that the video is triggering horrific memories .

My response to that is you don’t have to watch it ? It is a choice .

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 27th June 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #72
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

He/she will probably sue Madonna for destroying the mental health next... instead of the government.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 27th June 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #73
Group icon

Here comes the backlash ~

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post 27th June 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #74
Group icon

QUOTE(vibe @ Jun 27 2019, 08:18 PM) *
One of the pulse survivors has complained to TMZ that the video is triggering horrific memories .

My response to that is you don’t have to watch it ? It is a choice .

i don't get this ? as triggering as it is, it has a warning at the beginning and is fighting against the very thing they were part of

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 27th June 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

That was my thought as well. I don't wish to tell anyone how they should react, I'm absolutely not qualified to do so, but the warning at the start of the video is very clear and the topic of the video has been well documented. It's their own curiosity that made them watch the video.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 27th June 2019, 10:55 PM
Post #76
Group icon
Jord

If one of today’s pop females released this (which none would be brave enough to do except maybe Gaga)

It would be everywhere. Applauded, spoken of, shared etc. Would probably win multiple VMAs.

I’m so glad I’m on this forum as on my own Facebook feed I’ve seen no mention of it at all outside of Madonna and fan pages sad.gif.

This better get a Grammy nomination!!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 25th July 2019, 01:13 AM
Post #77
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

Idolator: Madonna, Miley Cyrus & More Artists Snubbed By The 2019 VMAs

Chief amongst those is Madonna. The Queen Of Pop is responsible for some of the VMAs most iconic moments. Not only that, but she released six videos this year in support of Madame X. Of those “God Control,” a powerful and shocking demand for gun reform, is the clear highlight. It will go down as one of the most unforgettable releases of the year, but it wasn’t nominated for a single award. Surely, it should have at least been up for Video For Good if not Video Of The Year. To be fair, the Jonas Åkerlund-directed opus may have come a little late to be recognized. It dropped at the very end of last month. But if so that doesn’t excuse the equally offensive snub of “Medellín.”

https://www.idolator.com/7838059/madonna-mi...=1&chrome=1

'God Control' needs to pick up a video nomination somewhere in the next year.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 25th July 2019, 09:08 AM
Post #78
Group icon

An absolute joke that it's been snubbed. :')

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 25th July 2019, 11:20 AM
Post #79
Group icon
Jord

Some of the nominations for video of the year are strange

Only Arianas was a decent music VIDEO in my opinion

I feel some people in charge of nominations were unaware of the difference between song and video.

Taylor’s video to get nominated was an odd choice as ME was her better video

I hope Madonna manages a Grammy nomination for the God Control video.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 25th July 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #80
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Jul 25 2019, 12:20 PM) *
Taylor’s video to get nominated was an odd choice as ME was her better video

ERM