BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RW & Guy Chambers - RSC - The Boy In The Dress (Musical), The Boy In The Dress Musical & OST Album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Laura130262
post Mar 22 2019, 12:39 AM
Post #21
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,265
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Mar 21 2019, 06:22 PM) *
funky.gif

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Not only do I get to meet Tess after "talking" to her every day for the last 13 years ohmy.gif but we get to see the show together. happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Jun 8 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,135

Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers channel Britpop for David Walliams' musical soundtrack

Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers have channelled the Britpop era for the soundtrack to David Walliams' new musical 'The Boy In The Dress'.

The 'I Love My Life' hitmaker and his long-time songwriting partner have teamed up with the 'Britain's Got Talent' judge and author on the music for his new production based on his debut children's tome, which was published in 2008, and tells the story of a young boy who enjoys cross-dressing and how his loved ones reacted.

Guy – who released his debut solo album entitled 'Go Gentle Into The Light' earlier this month – has revealed their new tunes were inspired by the period in the mid-1990s which was dominated by bands such as Oasis, Radiohead and Blur and Robbie's first solo album, 'Life Thru a Lens', which he released in 1997 and saw him move away from his band Take That's pop sound and was largely inspired by the Britpop movement.

The show is by the Royal Shakespeare Company and is set to launch this November in the birthplace of late literary legend William Shakespeare; Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Speaking to m-magazine.co.uk, Guy said: "It's a musical based on David's book and basically, it's very like the first album we did, Life thru a Lens. It's got that sort of Britpop feel to it, lots of guitars and sunny pop songs, there's also some sad pop songs. And the opening night is 9 November in Stratford-Upon-Avon."

The producer – who has also worked with the likes of Kylie Minogue, Miles Kane, Mark Ronson and Tina Turner to name a few – helped Robbie achieve International success with his first five solo albums all topping the chart.

The pair reunited in 2013 for the covers record 'Swings Both Ways', which became the 'Rock DJ' hitmaker's 11th number one.

As well as working on the musical and his recently released solo album, Guy has also been in the studio with Robbie again recording songs for his next album, the follow-up to 2016's 'The Heavy Entertainment Show'.

The Ivor Novello-winner recently shared how Robbie's approach to creating new music is often quite spontaneous, and he has to make sure he's always recording just in case the singer does something "really very strong".

He said: "[Robbie] gets quite a buzz from a track already in progress. He likes a certain amount of music to ... So what we tend to do when he walks through the room is we immediately give him a mic, a handheld mic, and he immediately starts singing, if he likes the track. We record everything he does, because sometimes his first thoughts are really very strong, and I'm sort of playing along at the same time trying to interact with him.

"I like jamming with people when I'm writing. I like playing at the same time, I like getting involved, and not just watching it. I like ... I suppose directing it in a way, and that's what it's like with Rob."
https://www.list.co.uk/article/108745-robbi...cal-soundtrack/

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Sep 23 2019, 05:21 AM
Post #23
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Restaurant fortnight planned to support businesses

A new restaurant fortnight is being launched in Stratford next month to support food businesses amid concerns that they may suffer during the period the RSC main theatre is dark.

This year, in preparation for the RSC’s hotly anticipated show ‘The Boy in the Dress’ the main theatre will be out of action until 8th November.

It is an unusually long break between shows and Stratforward have been trying to prepare businesses for a potentially difficult period.

The organisation believes that Stratford may lose as many as 7,000 visitors per week during this time, but wants to give food orientated businesses a helping hand with its Stratford Feasts event.

The event will not involve the closure of any roads, but local restaurants are being encouraged to host events and launch special offers, which Stratforward will then heavily promote.

It will take place between 4th-20th October, while a Spring Feasts event is planned from 6th-22nd March.

Joe Baconnet, director of Stratforward BID, said: “The theatre will go dark for a long time, it’s not been that long for quite a few years. We have been talking to businesses about this throughout the year, trying to prepare them for any impact. It’s likely that the food businesses will be most affected, but I would expect it may take a few weeks to see if there has been much of an impact.

“The theatre has gone dark in the past and perhaps businesses have not looked at their takings and put two and two together before, but we decided to organise Stratford Feasts as a way of supporting businesses, particularly food businesses over what could potentially be a more difficult time. Of course with the uncertainty over Brexit, businesses may also have other worries on their mind.”

Catherine Mallyon, Royal Shakespeare Company executive director, said: “We have a busy few months ahead, with the Royal Shakespeare Theatre playing host to our Live at the RSC Comedy Festival – presented in partnership with Underbelly – featuring 22 of the country’s best comedians, between 12 – 21 September.

“In the Swan Theatre, after we say goodbye to The Provoked Wife and Venice Preserved this Saturday (7 Sept), King John will open on Friday 19 September, followed, from 11 October, by A Museum in Baghdad. The Rooftop Restaurant, the Riverside and Swan cafes, our exhibition The Play’s The Thing, together with Susie’s Café Bar at The Other Place will remain open throughout. And our popular theatre tours, along with a range of family events and activities, will also be on offer.

“Once the Comedy Festival is over, we will be preparing for the world premiere of our new musical, The Boy in the Dress, based on David Walliams’ book.

“This exciting new production, adapted by Mark Ravenhill, and with music and lyrics by Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers, previews from 8 November 2019. A musical like The Boy in the Dress is a major undertaking for the Company, and requires a longer preparation period than normal owing to the scale of the production. We keep our dark periods as short as we possibly can. Not only do we hope to have busy buildings all the time, but we also recognise that visitors and full houses are important for other businesses in the town. ( I am really looking forward to this , looks like it is going to be big production ) smile.gif

“Our forthcoming season promises to offer something for all, and, as always, we look forward to welcoming everyone to our theatres.”

Food businesses are currently being encouraged to submit their ideas for events and special offers during Stratford Feasts to Stratforward.

http://www.stratford-herald.com/102137-res...businesses.html

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Sep 25 2019, 04:19 AM
Post #24
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Mark Shenton
@ShentonStage
GUY CHAMBERS, who co-wrote the music and lyrics of
@TheRSC
’s THE BOY IN THE DRESS with
@robbiewilliams
, says the score was written in two weeks in LA. (Two of the songs were already in the bag before they began, planned for Robbie’s last album but not used on it).

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Sep 28 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Guy Chambers Retweeted
WhatsOnStage
@WhatsOnStage
·
Sep 24
We're meeting the creative team for
@TheRSC
's Boy in the Dress musical! Stay tuned for all our coverage coming later...

https://twitter.com/WhatsOnStage/status/1176442666994819072

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Oct 2 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Platinum Member

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Oct 20 2019, 08:12 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The Boy in the Dress musical: watch the cast and meet Guy Chambers, Aletta Collins, Mark Ravenhill and more

WhatsOnStage has a first listen to one of the new numbers from The Boy in the Dress musical as the piece prepares to open in Stratford.

The show is Mark Ravenhill's adaptation of David Walliams' book, with music from Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers.

The production begins previews at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon on Friday 8 November before opening on 27 November and running until 8 March 2020. Full casting for the show was recently announced – you can see who will star in the piece and the announced creative team here.

The Boy in the Dress is Walliams' debut children's book, which follows 12 year-old Dennis, who is his football team's striker and wants to wear a dress to school.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/stratford-upon...iams_50115.html

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Oct 29 2019, 07:29 PM
Post #28
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Robbie Williams pops in to see cast of The Boy In The Dress

The musical will feature new music by Williams and his long-term writing partner Guy Chambers.

29 October, 2019 11:01

Robbie Williams paid a surprise visit to the cast of new musical The Boy In The Dress.

The show is based on the novel by David Walliams and features new music by pop star Williams and his long-term writing partner Guy Chambers.

Angels singer Williams said it was “overwhelming to be in front of such a talented cast” and watching the rehearsals brought back memories.

“I went to a lot of theatre when I was a kid and I was in a lot of theatre as a kid and I remember the overwhelming feeling of people clapping for me and cheering for me,” he said.

“It was the first time that I thought maybe I’m good at something, and to this day, that moment is still palpable.

“Looking at this young cast and seeing them perform, I feel like I know them because, I’ve been them,” the singer and former X Factor judge added.

The musical tells the story of star striker and fashion lover Dennis and is adapted by former RSC writer-in-residence Mark Ravenhill.

It opens at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon on November 8 2019, and runs until March 8 2020.

https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertai...-dress-1751479/

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Oct 29 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Platinum Member

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Oct 29 2019, 11:54 PM
Post #30
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Very un-nerving that he looks like a Vicar here. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Oct 30 2019, 06:14 AM
Post #31
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Oct 29 2019, 11:54 PM) *

Very un-nerving that he looks like a Vicar here. laugh.gif

If he started saying Mass on Sundays the crowd would flock to the churches cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Nov 10 2019, 06:47 AM
Post #32
BuzzJack Platinum Member

INTERVIEW: David Walliams on The Boy In The Dress

During rehearsals, David Walliams spoke to Terri Paddock about his inspiration for The Boy in the Dress, his burgeoning career as a children’s writer and how he feels having his work adapted by the RSC.

How did your collaboration with the RSC begin?

I certainly never thought, oh, one day The Boy in the Dress will be a musical with the RSC. About four years ago, Mark Ravenhill asked to adapt it. At that point, he didn’t say that it should be a musical. I thought it was going to be a play version. So I met Mark a few times. I liked him a lot, I liked his work a lot. I thought, well, he’s a proper playwright, it’s brilliant that he wants to do it.

I’d seen all of Mark’s plays – Shopping and F****** (like everyone else), Mother Clap’s Molly’s House, Some Explicit Polaroids, The Cane. You don’t think of his work as being child-friendly, especially not a play called Shopping and F****** But I knew that he’d know how to make the story theatrical, and there are issues in the book where I thought, where he’s coming from with his previous work, he’ll know how to deal with that in a sensitive way.

Later I met Mark with Greg Doran and they said, oh, we’d like to do it as a musical and ask Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers to write the music. I know Robbie and Guy a bit and I thought, well, you can ask them, I’m not going to ask. When they said, Robbie and Guy are on board, then I thought, yeah, well, I’ll believe it when I hear the songs. Then, when I came to a workshop and I heard 18 incredible songs, I was like, oh, this is real now.

What do Guy Chambers and Robbie Williams, in particular, bring to The Boy in the Dress?

They’re brilliant. What I was really impressed with when I first heard their songs for The Boy in the Dress was how immediate they were. There’s a directness and simplicity to them. Sometimes you can see a musical and you’re listening and you can think, what were they just saying? Because Guy and Robbie are used to writing pop songs, they’re very immediate and very gettable.

Also, while their songs are obviously based on things in The Boy in the Dress, they’re not slavish to it. They’ve found their own new language, but also they’ve somehow enlarged it. They’ve made the whole thing grow and feel much bolder than it was before. Songs have that power, don’t they?

They’re all really catchy too and each song is unique to the character, that character’s voice and the emotion they’re expressing.

https://britishtheatre.com/interview-david-...y-in-the-dress/

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Nov 10 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Robbie Williams & Guy Chambers MUSICAL REVIEW The Boy In The Dress

Celebrity Radio by Alex Belfield

Really good review .... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Nov 10 2019, 09:34 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Platinum Member

INTERVIEW: Guy Chambers on The Boy in the Dress, now on at the RSC

First reactions to The Boy in the Dress, which opened Friday, have been hugely positive. Here Gill Sutherland talks to Guy Chambers about writing the songs for the musical with long-term collaborator Robbie Williams.

How did The Boy in the Dress come about?

I got a call from Mark Ravenhill [who has adapted David Walliams’ book for the stage show] asking me if I was interested and I said I was. So I came up here and met Bruce O’Neil [RSC’s head of music] and chatted about it. Initially they asked me if I wanted to do it and I thought I probably shouldn’t do this on my own so I called Rob and he took about five minutes to think about it and pretty much said yes straightaway.

And you knew David Walliams before this?

I’ve known David since 1995 when he was starting out. David and I had a chat about The Boy in the Dress socially – in fact he was at my studio trying to sing a duet with Rob for the Royal Variety Show as a sort of joke – he’s a terrible singer. He did mention The Boy in the Dress and that was going ahead and I said something like “that sounds interesting” and then the next minute Mark [Ravenhill] called.

Did the offer come as a bit of a curveball or do you take everything in your stride?

Not everything no. I’ve wanted to do a musical for a long, long time – 20 years. I did actually start another show a few years back which was Nowhere Boy, but I pulled out of that because it was all about a young John Lennon and because I’m such a Beatles nut I got very nervous and uncomfortable. It was a bit of a shame; now looking back on it I’m thinking I should have done it. I didn’t have enough nerve then, but I think I do now – maybe we’ll see how this one goes. It’s a risky business.

What’s the vibe so far?

It looks like it’s going to be a great success, but the critics are very powerful.

Are you a fan of musicals?

I am a fan of classic musicals largely pre-1980. Jesus Christ Superstar comes to mind and Guys and Dolls, Cabaret, West Side Story – they’re the sort of musicals I was brought up with because my mother was hugely into shows and brought me from a very early age to the theatre. I’ve always loved the theatre and theatre people, that whole eco system.

Is it living up to expectations?

Yeah, well I have very high standards of what a musical should be in terms of the songs really earning their right to be there and you should be humming the tune when you leave the theatre, that’s essential for me.

I saw a splendid one in rehearsals – Disco Symphony?

Oh yeah, that’s probably the one they’ll be singing. It’s a humdinger. That was going to be on Robbie’s last album, but for whatever reason he decided not to put on there. So when we started writing the show we realised that the song would work brilliantly at the moment in the show when Dennis first puts on the dress and it turns into a wonderful fantasy sequence. Obviously we changed the lyrics, but it was just great serendipity that we had this song that was ready to go. We had to change the key, the lyric, and the structure, but the chorus was basically the same. There were another two pre-existing songs like that. Then all the other songs were written in chronological order. We just started at the top of the show and read Mark’s script.

Did Mark leave gaps where he thought songs should be?

Yes absolutely he did. Mark’s script was very helpful. We also kept going back to the book to look for inspiration, or clues, or phrases we could use. Like Ordinary is the first song in the show and that’s based on the first paragraph in the book.

You’ve made it sound quite simple!

We tried to keep it simple, and I’m a great believer in simple songs. I like a direct message, a really obvious chorus, and songs that make people dance, laugh, or cry. The second song, If I Don’t Cry, which is when Dennis’ mum leaves, will make you cry.

Were you familiar with the book?

No, I have four kids and my youngest was 11 so she’s read most of David’s books, but for some reason I missed that one. When I was asked to do it I read the book straightaway and loved it. I love David’s books. They’re great and they’ve encouraged boys to read which is a great thing in itself.

I can imagine Robbie belting the songs out in the studio… will we ever get to hear him sing them?

He sang all of the demos so there’s a version of the whole musical with him singing which is actually great. I think if the show’s a great success that could happen – not that I’m his manager. He might think that as a fun thing to do and I know he’s very fond of the songs. What he says about them is that they remind him of our first two albums.

You’re usually the wise learned person at the back and you’re kind of stepping forwards [Guy released solo album Go Gentle Into the Light and played a show at the RSC last month] are we going to more of Guy Chambers at the front from now on?
If my manager has anything to with it then yeah. I think a lot depends on how this show does. I’m also working on another show, but I can’t really talk about it because it’s a bit top secret. If this show does well than I do plan on doing another musical.

West Endish?

Well I think Rob and I, if it all goes well, will be asked to do another one.

Do you both do the lyrics – is it a join effort, or do you have clearly distinct and separate areas?

I would say that he gets more involved with the lyrics than I do and I get more involved with the music than he does, but then again quite a lot of the melodies are his and some of the lyrics are mine. We do share roles, but we do that naturally, we don’t talk about it. We trust one another. If there are things he’s not sure about musically he will tell me and we’ll try something else.

In 1996 Robbie had just left Take That, he was a bit of a wild card and, without wanting to sound too judgey, a bit unformed. What did you think of him when you first met him back then?

He would agree with that! I saw massive potential, but I also saw somebody that was very wounded. When I first met him he was overweight and an alcoholic, doing a lot of drugs. Obviously he had been in a very successful band and then he left and he was struggling a bit – but so was I. I was struggling to pay my mortgage and I was going to lose my house. So the timing for both of us was perfect. I wasn’t doing much – it wasn’t like I was committed to anything else. I had to fully commit to him basically.

Did one of you say “shall we pursue this working relationship”?

We worked together and that went so well that we just carried on from there. It all happened ridiculously quickly. We met on 8th January 1997 and the album was done by May, and then he went to rehab. We were launching the album in September and it was Number One by the end of the year.

What are some of the most songs you are most proud of? Do you get sick of Millennium?

Rob does. I guess Feel and Angels still really have a lot of power.

And music-wise who do you admire and any favourite songs?

Growing up, my dad played the flute in London Philharmonic Orchestra and then moved to the Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra so I very much grew up with classical music and going to concerts to hear Tchaikovsky and Mozart. But bands wise there’s obviously Queen. I’m a huge Queen fan, so maybe Brighton Rock. I love ABBA as well. I’m in awe of their catalogue and I can’t wait to hear their new song.

What makes a great song?

A great song is the combination of words and music so that they gel together. When you have problems in pop music it’s when the words are better than the music or when the music is better than the words. If it’s out of balance then it’s a disaster.

http://www.stratford-herald.com/103477-int...ss-now-rsc.html

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Nov 11 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #35
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 10 2019, 09:17 PM) *
Robbie Williams & Guy Chambers MUSICAL REVIEW The Boy In The Dress
Celebrity Radio by Alex Belfield

Really good review .... wink.gif

Oh my goodness - what a review cool.gif

"Musically perfect"

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Nov 11 2019, 12:09 AM
Post #36
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I've posted that on Upfront although as apparently he's lost his password to be able to log in - he might not see it. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Nov 11 2019, 05:29 AM
Post #37
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Nov 11 2019, 12:09 AM) *
I've posted that on Upfront although as apparently he's lost his password to be able to log in - he might not see it. laugh.gif

I am sure he will pick it up on YT , he should be happy with that review .. hope the show does well ..

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Nov 11 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #38
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 11 2019, 05:29 AM) *
I am sure he will pick it up on YT , he should be happy with that review .. hope the show does well ..

Sounds promising if they all review it like that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sydney11
post Nov 12 2019, 08:25 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Platinum Member

4 weeks to go Laura cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Laura130262
post Nov 12 2019, 11:44 PM
Post #40
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Nov 12 2019, 08:25 PM) *
4 weeks to go Laura cheer.gif

I know Tess - and after reading that review - I'm excited to see it. And to see you. happy.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:59 AM