BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> United Kingdom · Eurovision Song Contest 2016, Joe and Jake - You're Not Alone
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post May 15 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #581
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342
QUOTE(Cameron @ May 15 2016, 07:52 PM) *
Time for us to whip out a song is Gaelic with Bagpipes.

See, I know you joke, but I think this wouldn't actually be a bad idea. At least if it's going to be run in the same format again then include one or two songs that are taking risks/are instantly memorable rather than rejects from B-League popstars (we joke that 'You're Not Alone' was a cast-off from The Wanted but the song that came second was also a Leona Lewis cast-off so that shows how many serious songwriters were using their best material).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Cameron
post May 15 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #582
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
QUOTE(LexC @ May 15 2016, 08:11 PM) *
See, I know you joke, but I think this wouldn't actually be a bad idea. At least if it's going to be run in the same format again then include one or two songs that are taking risks/are instantly memorable rather than rejects from B-League popstars (we joke that 'You're Not Alone' was a cast-off from The Wanted but the song that came second was also a Leona Lewis cast-off so that shows how many serious songwriters were using their best material).

I'm actually not joking! I wish the UK would experiment with other parts of the country and their cultures. Gaelic and Welsh are 2 examples. It would definitely catch eyes instead of the usual entry. I know this might not make sense, but I feel that the UK focus solely on English talent and should maybe start looking in other parts of the country.

+Quote this post
p a v
post May 15 2016, 08:27 PM
Post #583
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
QUOTE(Virginia @ May 15 2016, 08:09 PM) *
But also shows the political side and the uphill climb the UK has to get votes. That song shoulda smashed it and came second to the violon thing.

It was dated and in no way deserving a second place :/

the world doesn't owe you shit, guys, despite what so many of you think. Sorry, but it's true. Send a great song and everything is going to be alright.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 15 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #584
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Engelbert, Bonnie, Electro Velvet and Joe and Jake were really never going to light up the scoreboard. Molly did indeed underperform in 2014 but lots of other countries suffer underperformances with decent songs, sometimes it just happens for various reasons - a crap slot or overshadowed by something else in the running order, a nervous performer, underwhelming staging etc...

I don't buy the 'we'll never do well again' argument because Blue came top five in the televote only five years ago, so it's not like European televoters would never vote for our entries if they like them. And I Can wasn't even really a GREAT track, it was a good modern/catchy track reasonably performed by a band popular across Europe nearly a decade earlier. If we could manage a top five in the televote with that then why are people saying there's no way we could ever do well again?

+Quote this post
danG
post May 15 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #585
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 15 2016, 09:37 PM) *
why are people saying there's no way we could ever do well again?

because most of the time no-one actually good wants to represent us?

+Quote this post
Umi
post May 15 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #586
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659
QUOTE(gooddelta @ May 15 2016, 09:37 PM) *
If we could manage a top five in the televote with that then why are people saying there's no way we could ever do well again?

Because their Eurovision experience each year comes down to little more than "Checks result, moans about it on BJ, ignores all contradictory posts, repeats next year".

+Quote this post
post May 15 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #587
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
We need to just be less snobby about it. Send someone more credible. As Justin Timberlake must have realised, performing on the Eurovision is massive exposure. Our better pop acts need to suck up the snobbery. Even acts like Mcfly, who can't get radio support anymore, but could probably put together a good enough pop song would probably do a lot better.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post May 15 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #588
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
The thing is we don't need a famous singer, we just need an amazing song. We need to be asking the best songwriters to submit their best songs rather than worry about who is going to sing them. If we had 'Cool Me Down' with Bianca from our national final singing it for example (just matching the reggae influences Shine A Little Light and Cool Me Down has for comparison's sake) I'm convinced we'd be top 10 as Bianca seemed a competent enough singer and Cool Me Down is a guaranteed hit. Then if the song and singer end up matching perfectly, see Lena (who was an unknown in Germany prior to Eurovision) and Satellite, then it becomes a winner.

Of course if Bianca suffered from "rabbit in the headlights" like Molly that'd be a different story but you'd hope she wouldn't!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 15 2016, 09:02 PM
Post #589
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Definitely. The UK media seem obsessed with the fact that we never send well known acts or we send has-beens etc...who cares really, who on earth outside of their own country and Eurovision fan circles knew Jamala, Poli Genova, Amir etc before last night?

I always see people say 'Coldplay or Adele could turn up and win', but firstly in what world would these artists have the time to devote the necessary two weeks minimum to the contest and secondly what if Coldplay turned up with a crap album track...would they win with that, just because they're Coldplay? And if they didn't would there be a mass uproar?

The song is key in the 'song' contest, yet it's the part the UK often pays the least attention to, we're always searching for the right act (which we generally get wrong anyway), or the right kind of act or looking for 'the Eurovision formula', whereas really all we actually need to do, as Ryan says, is commission a fantastic song by a great songwriter and ensure it's fronted by a charismatic and confident singer, who doesn't necessarily need to already be famous.

If we found something on the scale of Euphoria or Fairytale, ticked all the boxes, topped the pre-contest odds and all the fan polls and then still came bottom five then yes, even I would start to question if everybody just hates us, but the majority of our entries are album filler, not contest winning songs. Sure if our entries were sent by Lithuania or Russia they'd probably come 10 places higher, due to diaspora voting, but I'm pretty certain even Russia couldn't take Bonnie, Engelbert or Electro Velvet into the top ten.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post May 15 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #590
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
QUOTE(LushLife @ May 15 2016, 05:55 PM) *
Everytime i think of Jade representing the UK i always remember the guy playing the violin? almost knocking her out.

OMG ME TOO!! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post May 15 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #591
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031
Molly should have done a lot better. Joe & Jake should also have done better but they were never destined to trouble the high end of scores.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post May 16 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #592
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155
Their performance was ok but they looked exactly what they are - Inexperienced reality TV show rejects, Other acts were far more polished and professional.

Also I'm not surprised we don't get interest from big acts or songwriters - Entering for the UK no longer guarantees a hit single. I'm pretty sure J&J will miss the Top 75 this week, be dropped by Sony and never heard from again - Hardly the biggest career incentive to enter.

+Quote this post

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:54 AM