BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> US Billboard Hot 100 - 04/21/2012, fun. #1 .. Wanted #3 .. One Direction #4 .. Calvin #13
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Craigella
post Apr 12 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 10,331
QUOTE(THEO. @ Apr 12 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Well you didn't mention that, and they're still not comparable as artists.

I don't see why not, they both make awful bland pop music aimed at pre-pubecant girls
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post Apr 13 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,457
where is the video for Adele's Rumor Has It or Set Fire To The Rain???? blink.gif God that woman is sooo lazy, she's the biggest selling artist in the world by far wothout any promotion whatsoever, no videos, rarre TV appearances..

If someone said back in the year 2007 that we would have 2 British Boybands in the US top 5 five years later, they would think it's an April's fool joke.... it's coming TRUE cheer.gif I wish that the US would've been more aware of British talent at its peak in the 90's and early 2000's, they missed out on a lot of UK/Irish great boy bands such as Take That, East 17, Five, Boyzone, Westlife, MN8, 911 and solo singers such as Robbie Williams & Solo Spice Girls to name but a few.... not mentioning the amazing rock bands that emerged back then....

This post has been edited by Big Mistake: Apr 13 2012, 12:47 PM

+Quote this post
Ne Plus Ultra
post Apr 13 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,817
What? Take That's "Back For Good" and Five's "When The Lights Go Out" were both U.S. top ten hits!

And Westlife are terrible, but they still were able to go top 30 with "Swear It Again" in the U.S.

This post has been edited by Ne Plus Ultra: Apr 13 2012, 01:31 PM

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Apr 13 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
QUOTE(Big Mistake @ Apr 13 2012, 01:46 PM) *
where is the video for Adele's Rumor Has It or Set Fire To The Rain???? blink.gif God that woman is sooo lazy, she's the biggest selling artist in the world by far wothout any promotion whatsoever, no videos, rarre TV appearances..

If someone said back in the year 2007 that we would have 2 British Boybands in the US top 5 five years later, they would think it's an April's fool joke.... it's coming TRUE cheer.gif I wish that the US would've been more aware of British talent at its peak in the 90's and early 2000's, they missed out on a lot of UK/Irish great boy bands such as Take That, East 17, Five, Boyzone, Westlife, MN8, 911 and solo singers such as Robbie Williams & Solo Spice Girls to name but a few.... not mentioning the amazing rock bands that emerged back then....

Coldplay contradict that last statement - they and Radiohead were the biggest things in mainstream rock around 2000-1 and both have had stellar success in the US.

+Quote this post
Post #25
Group icon
Fire
User: 9,912
QUOTE(SKOB @ Apr 12 2012, 02:22 PM) *
Bieber is doing so well! In 2 weeks Boyfriend has sold a lot more than the latest Katy Perry single did, for example.

QUOTE(THEO. @ Apr 12 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Well you didn't mention that, and they're still not comparable as artists.

Did being the key word, if SKOB had said has then they meant overall. But as Jahq said you just read it wrong.

I think Boyfriend will end up selling more then Part Of Me, POM hasnt actually done as well as i would have thought, but obviously has done well.

I think you can definitely compare them, both make pop music which is the main reason why they definitely can be compared (cheesy pop at times laugh.gif) and both have huge female fanbases.

Bieber doesnt have a video out yet, whens that out?

Cant believe The Wanted & One D are #3 and #4, who would have thought that last year ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Karma: Apr 13 2012, 02:44 PM

+Quote this post
Consie
post Apr 13 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Don't slap me, cuz I'm not in the mood
User: 303
QUOTE(Big Mistake @ Apr 13 2012, 06:46 AM) *

I agree with your overall point but must disagree that late 90s/early 2000s were a peak for music from the UK. 1999-2002 was dominated by S Club 7, Ronan Keating, B-Witched, Atomic Kitten... then came all the reality TV no-names and bad pop-punk boybands. Of course I liked many of these acts back in the day but I don't think any of them will be remembered into the future.

I think at that time, the music scene in the UK was stagnated with bubble gum boy/girlbands. And the US music scene was really innovating with hip/hop and R&B. Britney, Destiny's Child, Eminem, etc. were miles ahead of UK pop acts. BUT, we all know within a few years it was the UK that was innovating and the US scene that had stagnated... dominated by increasingly dull and insipid hip/hop and "crunk."

From 2005 onward, the UK scene has had a HUGE effect on improving and adapting US charts, pop radio, and the scene overall. Music out of the UK/Ireland is leading the world right now and FAR improved from 10 years ago.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post Apr 13 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Ne Plus Ultra @ Apr 13 2012, 04:31 PM) *
What? Take That's "Back For Good" and Five's "When The Lights Go Out" were both U.S. top ten hits!

And Westlife are terrible, but they still were able to go top 30 with "Swear It Again" in the U.S.

yes but Take That and Five only had one hit each, so they don't have a "career" in the US...
they had tens of great hits in the UK which could also have been US hits....

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post Apr 13 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(¿ CHARLIE ? @ Apr 13 2012, 04:35 PM) *
Coldplay contradict that last statement - they and Radiohead were the biggest things in mainstream rock around 2000-1 and both have had stellar success in the US.

yeah but there are a lot of more talented UK rock/alternative bands that went unnoticed in the US, Levellers, Ocean Color Scene, Cast, Blur, Pulp, Manic Street Preachers, which all had really negligible careers in the US comparing to their UK & rest of the world careers....

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post Apr 13 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Consie @ Apr 13 2012, 07:24 PM) *
And the US music scene was really innovating with hip/hop and R&B. Britney, Destiny's Child, Eminem, etc. were miles ahead of UK pop acts.

i don't think having a chart full of bland hip hop/rap & country music that doesn't sell anywhere in the world except the US could be called innovation really.... while pop music from the UK was charting all over the world, (Five, Steps, B*Witched, Westlife, Solo Spices.....) the US failed to import any of their mainstream hip hop/ country acts which was ruling during that period... Garth Brooks is the biggest selling artist in the US for the 90's and he failed to sell much outside the US....

+Quote this post
Consie
post Apr 13 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Don't slap me, cuz I'm not in the mood
User: 303
QUOTE(Big Mistake @ Apr 13 2012, 11:30 AM) *
i don't think having a chart full of bland hip hop/rap & country music that doesn't sell anywhere in the world except the US could be called innovation really.... while pop music from the UK was charting all over the world, (Five, Steps, B*Witched, Westlife, Solo Spices.....) the US failed to import any of their mainstream hip hop/ country acts which was ruling during that period... Garth Brooks is the biggest selling artist in the US for the 90's and he failed to sell much outside the US....

Well I was referring more to the period of 1998-2002. Led by Timberland, Dark Child, Dr. Dre, The Neptunes, etc., US R&B and hip/hop were really breaking new musical ground at the time. I agree that by the mid-2000's it was becoming dull and boring. I do have to point out that early two-step/garage out of the UK was also very fresh and always deserved more recognition and popularity in the US.

Besides, Garth Brooks may have been the biggest album seller in the US but Billboard declared Mariah Carey the top artist of the 90s. She certainly sold well globally... garnering 22 top 40 hits in the UK that decade...

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post Apr 13 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665
QUOTE(Consie @ Apr 13 2012, 05:24 PM) *
I think at that time, the music scene in the UK was stagnated with bubble gum boy/girlbands. And the US music scene was really innovating with hip/hop and R&B. Britney, Destiny's Child, Eminem, etc. were miles ahead of UK pop acts. BUT, we all know within a few years it was the UK that was innovating and the US scene that had stagnated... dominated by increasingly dull and insipid hip/hop and "crunk."

However, I honestly think the dance/electropop domination we have now led on from "crunk" (I'm prepared to write a massive essay explaining why I think this if needs be laugh.gif), so there's possibly a silver lining in that.

+Quote this post
Dark Horse
post Apr 14 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
QUOTE(Consie @ Apr 13 2012, 09:42 PM) *
Besides, Garth Brooks may have been the biggest album seller in the US but Billboard declared Mariah Carey the top artist of the 90s. She certainly sold well globally... garnering 22 top 40 hits in the UK that decade...

Maybe, but most of the artists in the US charts at the time were unrecognizable outside the US, but we still have a 40% share now of unrecognizable US artists but way down from the 90's and 00's....

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:56 PM