BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> WHAT IF: The Old Lady DIDN'T drop it into the ocean, pt. 3
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
cassius__
post 19th August 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
equally cursed & blessed
User: 6,654

"oh it's beautiful! but wait a minute, isn't this...?"

"yeah, yes it is"

"but i thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean in the end?"

"well baby, i went down and got it for you"

"aww, you shouldn't have"

'Oops!...' has one of Britney's most iconic / ridiculous middles 8s in her back catalogue.. if not of all time!

I think you could say "but i thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean in the end" and get the response of "well baby, I went down and got it for you" from 85% of anyone you meet. I think I do this at least a couple of times a month in my daily life.

Whilst I do love 'Oops!...', and it's iconic status as one of her defining hits won't really ever fade, it's not one of my personal FAVES.

My question to you all is:

WOULD 'OOPS!...' HAVE THE ICONIC STATUS ITS HAD FOR ALL THESE YEARS, IF THE OLD LADY DIDN'T DROP IT INTO THE OCEAN IN THE END?

WHAT WOULD 'OOPS!...' BE WITHOUT THAT MIDDLE 8? A STOMPING POP SONG YES, BUT WOULD IT BE A BRIT SIGNATURE SONG?

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE USE OF THE TITANIC REFERENCE? LOVE IT, HATE IT?

This post has been edited by casey__: 19th August 2017, 03:27 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 20th August 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I definitely think it would still be iconic. Britney's stardom was so huge back then and you've got this fantastic pop song with such singalong lyrics; you have the rest of the video with the red catsuit and a simple but extremely effective dance routine; and you have the well-remembered MTV Awards performance. Aside from the latter which I wasn't aware about at the time, those are the other things that really stood out to me and drew me to the song as a kid. So yeah, I definitely think it would still be iconic.

If you were to lose the outfit and not replace it with something just as memorable, then maybe the song wouldn't be as iconic.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 21st August 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #3
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

The Titanic reference, while being from such a huge and iconic movie, is such a small part of the song that I wouldn't think would take away from the essence and the power of the song. The middle 8 could literally copy the structure of BOMT and the public wouldn't care back then.

Promo definitely helped I think, but that's the case with all artists anyway, so not much would change in the grand scheme of things.

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post 21st August 2017, 11:54 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421

Actually that is my least favorite part of the song, always found it really stupid and cheesy even back then. The song would've been iconic the moment those first few chords come on.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 3rd September 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #5
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

It definitely would have been just as iconic. HOWEVER, things like the titanic bit is the reason why so many people in our generation love Britney on a personal level. The goofiness paired with the fierce slayage she was serving allowed people to take her from a sexual image to also a "omg she's just like us" mentality.

The goofy cuts from her filming on MTV's making the video;

These simple moments of her being a care free teenage girl, with a sincere love of hard work and being a kind person... is why she has outlasted all her peers from the nineties. Like look at Katy Perry and how quickly her star has fallen in one era... that's because the general public never connected to feeling like they truly sincerely knew her... even she co stantly tried to emulate it. That's because Britney has never cared about "being cool" or "being current", she just is.

This post has been edited by Tyler: 3rd September 2017, 05:25 PM

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 4th September 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

^ Good point! This generation has grown up with Britney and others have watched her grow up; we see her as someone we can relate to and want to root for and I guess goofy moments like those highlighted in 'Oops', both on-screen and behind the scenes, have helped this.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 09:09 AM